THE BROWNS BOARD

Maybin or Orakpo

letmedowns

I have not seen 1 mock that has us taking Maybin but a million taking Orakpo.

Give me Maybin over Orakpo any day.

I'm not a big fan of Orakpo at #5 but I feel just the opposite. Give me Orakpo anyday.

Maybin saved himself with a wonderful pro day but I still like Orakpo.

I'm not a big fan of Orakpo at #5 but I feel just the opposite. Give me Orakpo anyday.

Maybin saved himself with a wonderful pro day but I still like Orakpo.

Can you see Orakpo dropping in coverage once on a while? Maybin is a great athlete and watching him more and more, I think he will have a great career.

Can you see Orakpo dropping in coverage once on a while? Maybin is a great athlete and watching him more and more, I think he will have a great career.

Maybin may be more fluid but he's not faster. As a pure rush OLB, I want Orakpo's superior strength.

I also don't care for Maybin's attitude. He comes across as a cocky tool. Brian Orakpo comes across as an intelligent and decent guy.

Maybin may be more fluid but he's not faster. As a pure rush OLB, I want Orakpo's superior strength.

I also don't care for Maybin's attitude. He comes across as a cocky tool. Brian Orakpo comes across as an intelligent and decent guy.

Maybin is not faster? I will have to disagree with you.

I don't know the 40 times or whatnot but watching those two play Maybin is clearly faster.

Orakpo's strength is intriguing but can he drop in coverage?

I think that converting a DE in college to a NFL 3-4 LB has to be the hardest to evaluate. But there has been some good ones.

I don't know the 40 times or whatnot but watching those two play Maybin is clearly faster.

I think that converting a DE in college to a NFL 3-4 LB has to be the hardest to evaluate. But there has been some good ones.

Texas played some 3-4 this year and Orakpo was used as an OLB anbd he did drop into coverage at times. That being said, I also like Maybin and love English. I think a steal at mid to bottom of 2nd round is Sintim.

When all the smoke clears and speculation is put aside I'm reading posts from draft analyists on the net and it seems that the Browns are back on Orakpo and are hoping Curry has a chance to fall to them. Of course a trade down is still their #1 choice.

In a straight 40 Orakpo's time is better. At the combine Orakpo ran a 4.70 and Maybin ran a terrible 4.88. He improved on that at his pro day. But I take pro days with a grain of salt. Almost eveyone runs fast on their own track.

I look at Maybin and see a guy who is just too thin. Small hips. Lacks the power needed to take on OT's.

Texas played some 3-4 this year and Orakpo was used as an OLB anbd he did drop into coverage at times. That being said, I also like Maybin and love English. I think a steal at mid to bottom of 2nd round is Sintim.

When all the smoke clears and speculation is put aside I'm reading posts from draft analyists on the net and it seems that the Browns are back on Orakpo and are hoping Curry has a chance to fall to them. Of course a trade down is still their #1 choice.

I like English as well.

Curry would have to play inside in the 3-4 and I don't think he is worthy of top 5 money at inside.

I like

Wimbley, D'qwell, Barton and Maybin

In a straight 40 Orakpo's time is better. At the combine Orakpo ran a 4.70 and Maybin ran a terrible 4.88. He improved on that at his pro day. But I take pro days with a grain of salt. Almost eveyone runs fast on their own track.

I look at Maybin and see a guy who is just too thin. Small hips. Lacks the power needed to take on OT's.

Isn't he like 250?

Plus you know that they get stronger as soon as they hit the pro level.

All I am saying is that I would rater have Maybin over Orakpo. I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

Isn't he like 250?

Did you see him at the combine? He weighed 245 there and man, did he look thin! Not much bulk there at all. I thought he looked like a WR.

If you read some scouting reports that is one of the concerns with him. That he doesn't have the build to add a lot of bulk.

Did you see him at the combine? He weighed 245 there and man, did he look thin! Not much bulk there at all. I thought he looked like a WR.

If you read some scouting reports that is one of the concerns with him. That he doesn't have the build to add a lot of bulk.

He did look quite small but I think being 245 / 250 he will be fine. A pro team can bulk him to 255 / 260 fast.

Guest Aloysius

Maybin's an unfinished product who's probably nothing more than a situational rusher right now. And even once he develops, he's probably not a good fit for McGinest's old spot. He's pretty much Wimbley with a better burst, so his fit in our defense would be at WOLB.

Assuming that the new regime still believes in Wimbley, I think guys like Maybin and Connor Barwin will be downgraded on the Browns' board because they fit best at Wimbley's spot. Sintim could play the strongside, but he's too stiff to do much in space. Paul Kruger has all the tools to play the position, except the explosion you'd like to see in an edge rusher.

The best two fits, I think, are Orakpo and Larry English. If we trade down from #5, Everette Brown could be another possibility, as could Robert Ayers.

This is Aaron at his pro day. He weighs 4 pounds more here than he did at the combine. Notice how thin his hips are.

Especially when he on his kness running the push drill. Maybe it's just me but he sure reminds me of a WR.

That's why I like Orakpo better. Just more bulk and strength.

This is Aaron at his pro day. He weighs 4 pounds more here than he did at the combine. Notice how thin his hips are.

Especially when he on his kness running the push drill. Maybe it's just me but he sure reminds me of a WR.

That's why I like Orakpo better. Just more bulk and strength.

I guess your right. He does look awful small. Well we do need a WR :)

Assuming that the new regime still believes in Wimbley, I think guys like Maybin and Connor Barwin will be downgraded on the Browns' board because they fit best at Wimbley's spot.

I love how athletic Barwin is but I agree. He's not a good fit for the Browns.

I have a feeling Barwin is going to drop on draft day. A lot of people think the Pats will draft him early in round #2 but I just don't think they will. Unless they are going to draft him that high to be a TE.

I think the Pats go OLB with that first pick. Maybe Ayers or Johnson. They have to find a replacement for Thomas who was hurt last year and is old as dirt.

Orakpo but my bias is well documented.

The thing I like about Brian is that he really looks like an NFL pass rusher when he makes "the turn" and drops his hips. He closes on the quarterback quickly and time and again he seems to have good form on those little scatbacks that make lots of guys look silly. In that way, he reminds me of DeMarcus Ware.

At times though I get nervous about not hearing his name enough or that he sometimes is upright and gets blocked by a TE. Then, he might as well be Andre Ware.

I can see why he's "top 5" and then I can see why he might be #12.

I have nothing against Maybin but he seems a bit upright and at 246....he's a little light for OLB in the 3-4. #5 is far too high for this player. I personally don't tend to like guys that didn't crack the starting lineup until senior year. Orakpo played significantly all four years and started the last three.

At times though I get nervous about not hearing his name enough or that he sometimes is upright and gets blocked by a TE. Then, he might as well be Andre Ware.

It's funny you mention that because as I watched the Fiesta Bowl again the other day I saw three seperate plays in which OSU's TE Rory Nicol had no problem blocking him....And Nicol was horrible at blocking. One time Nicol even had him on the ground. But Brian may have slipped on that play.

It's funny you mention that because as I watched the Fiesta Bowl again the other day I saw three seperate plays in which OSU's TE Rory Nicol had no problem blocking him....And Nicol was horrible at blocking. One time Nicol even had him on the ground. But Brian may have slipped on that play.

Crow,

I'm a big believer in the old Bill Parcells saying "you are what your record says you are". Sometimes, there are good excuses but they're still excuses. Looking at Brian the last two games and bowl game of last year....he really seemed to be playing injured to me (he had a bad hammy) and started each game strong and seemed to pull up as the games went on.

Crow,

I'm a big believer in the old Bill Parcells saying "you are what your record says you are". Sometimes, there are good excuses but they're still excuses. Looking at Brian the last two games and bowl game of last year....he really seemed to be playing injured to me (he had a bad hammy) and started each game strong and seemed to pull up as the games went on.

Could be. I heard he was dinged.

Guest Aloysius

I don't think Orakpo was as explosive after the injury. Not exactly a surprise: he rushed back because he's a competitor and the defense couldn't get pressure without him.

The worst part of the injury was that it denied us the chance to see Orakpo battle Jason Smith in the Baylor game. Whoever won that battle would have exited the stadium with an elite draft grade; my gut tells me that it wouldn't have been Smith.

In reading the 2009 Pro Footaball Weeklyh draft preview, it lists three "draft audibles"

about Curry, Maybin and Orakpo:

"I was surprised at how tight Aaron Curry looked opening up his hips at his pro day. He has some tightness"

("Texas' Brian Orakpo) looked tight as a drum (in his pro day workout)

AND

"I wish we had a shot at (Penn State DE) Aaron Maybin. He's the most athletic of the pass rushers in this draft. He is so athletic

he can be anything you want him to be."

and, ""Maybin posesses rare first step quickness, length and bend off the edge. His upfield burst is elite, and his natural athletic

ability will enable him to rush from the outside in a 3-4, or play with his hand in the dirt in a 4-3. He is young and raw, but his upside

is immense"

Maybin is also 6'4 1/2 ". I like a taller lb. 250 lbs, he's the #1 DE they listed.

I can see Orakpo having a hammy any particular preseason,...

I think I'd pick Maybin after all.

I have not seen 1 mock that has us taking Maybin but a million taking Orakpo.

Give me Maybin over Orakpo any day.

If they interview previous coaches - it won't be Maybin. The last Penn State game I caught the commentators were saying Maybin inferiorated the PSU coaching staff for his continuance to frequently anticipate the snap count wrong in practices. Meaning? He's not doing what they ask of him, which hints of uncoachable. Example: He jumped offsides vrs USC causing an apparent USC fumble early on until the yellow flag belonged to him for being offsides. That first quarter play seemed like it was the last time he'd be visible all day.

I know Maybin went Vernon Gholston on the Big 10 competition but he became the same invisible man outside of it. Gholston was Casper the Friendly Ghost against LSU and Maybin went just as Casper vrs USC. Tells me the guys blocking both kids faced equal or better players than Gholston & Maybin everyday in practice so the challnge wasn't beyond business as usual.

All the pass rushers are hit or miss. If we get the WRONG kid in round 1, we now have Wimbley squared on the roster and anchoring the cap. That said, if we get the right kid - a Jamir Miller equivalent on the edge makes a Pro Bowl by pressuring QBs to throw the ball before they want to. End result? An average group of DBs like Earl Little, Devon Bush, Percy Ellsworth, Corey Fuller, Daylon McCutcheon and Anthony Henry can combine efforts to LEAD the AFC in INTs in 2001. We went from 5-27 football to a competitive 7-9 where we were 2 OT losses (Chicago & Pitt) away from 9-7. It MATTERED.

- Tom F.

Archived