THE BROWNS BOARD

Davis Webb

CaineDeSoulis

A guy to look at if the Browns do want to draft a TE is Adam Shaheen, from Ashland. He WAS I believe an All American Power Forward at his level....D-II.

• 6'6"HEIGHT
  • 33 1/2"ARM LENGTH
  • 278LBS.WEIGHT
  • 9 5/8"HANDS

I Watched some tape on this kid and didnt really see much though. he has athleticism/size but i did not see it on display against weaker competition.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doubt Webb is not viewed as a first round prospect. Should be there in the second.

If he's viewed as a second-round prospect it wouldn't hurt to jump back into the late first to get him, if the Browns truly like him. Pre-empts other teams from snagging him, and controls him for five years instead of just four -- which would be the case if the Browns took him at #33 or #52.

Davis Webb doing the proday thing at Cal today. In the middle of a heavy downpour.... Growing Consensus around the league he's going to be a round 1 pick :\

Davis Webb at 12? i hope we can get him later...

Also of note Kizer/Mahomes and Garrett have all been interviewed Trubisky and Watson have not been interviewed yet.

Davis Webb doing the proday thing at Cal today. In the middle of a heavy downpour.... Growing Consensus around the league he's going to be a round 1 pick :\

Davis Webb at 12? i hope we can get him later...

Also of note Kizer/Mahomes and Garrett have all been interviewed Trubisky and Watson have not been interviewed yet.

I have heard the opposite. Commentators on ESPN have said Webb appears to be a robotic player. (mechanical, stiff).

I am going just by what I heard.

So, clearly there is no 'consensus". Everyone has an opinion...you may have heard 1 or 2 opinions.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/story/_/id/18994615/davis-webb-throws-california-golden-bears-pro-day-says-stock-rising

BERKELEY, Calif. -- Former California quarterback Davis Webb on Friday said he's been told by multiple NFL teams that he could be taken early in April's NFL draft.

"I've talked to a lot of NFL people," Webb said after the Golden Bears' pro day workouts. "And double-digit teams have told me I'm a first-round guy."

The 6-5, 230-pound Webb, who was a graduate transfer to Cal from Texas Tech, was initially projected to be taken in the middle rounds. Recent buzz, however, has suggested that Webb's stock is climbing.

"Every meeting [with an NFL team] I've had, they've said I'm one of the best quarterbacks on the board," Webb said.

ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper currently projects North Carolina's Mitch Trubisky and Clemson's Deshaun Watson to be the only two quarterbacks taken in the first round at No. 12 and No. 13, respectively.

On Friday morning, Webb threw in rainy conditions at Cal's pro day. Many of his passes went to fellow NFL prospect Chad Hansen, who logged 92 catches for the Bears this past season.

Webb says he has "about 12-15 more" meetings scheduled with various NFL teams. He declined to discuss further details, but when asked by a local Bay Area reporter, he did indicate that San Francisco 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan has been in contact.

Webb said scouts were happy with his throwing performance Friday. He's also been working to promote his mental grasp of the game to NFL teams.

"I try to show off a bit," Webb said. "I try to show them that I know my stuff, about defenses and about fronts. I think my potential is through the roof."

Webb plans to watch the NFL draft from his home in the Dallas area, where he will invite teammates from Cal and Texas Tech.

"It'll be interesting to see all those guys interact," Webb said. "Two different schools, two different years."

Webb plans to watch the NFL draft from his home in the Dallas area, where he will invite teammates from Cal and Texas Tech.

Aw, man... go to the Draft... go to sit in the "Quinn Green Room"... all the teams LOVE you.... lol

In studio for The Paul Finebaum Show after a long day of visits with various ESPN shows, AJ McCarron said "pretty much everyone so far" in his meetings with NFL teams told him he received a first-round grade.

"They felt like I could go anywhere from 16-35," McCarron said. "I believe that, too. At the same time, I don't have my hopes set on anything. Whatever happens, happens. It's a blessing for me to even be in this situation."

The 16th pick is held by the Baltimore Ravens, who recently signed starter Joe Flacco to a long-term contract. The 35th pick, which comes four picks into the second round, is held by the Cleveland Browns, who are in the market for a quarterback. McCarron worked out for the Browns earlier this month.

Raymond Anthony "AJ" McCarron Jr. is an American football quarterback for the Cincinnati Bengals of the National Football League. He was drafted by the Bengals in the fifth round of the 2014 NFL Draft. He played college football at Alabama

The more I read about this guy's personality, the less I like of him.

I'd rather go no QB than take a guy who won't stop with the autofellatio.

My take exactly. It sounds like he's desperately trying to convince himself and GMs that he's good. Whatever it is, it ain't confidence.

2015 QB Jake Coker National Champion (not in league)

2014 QB Cardale Jones National Champion (imploded after winning)

2013 QB Jameis Winston National Champion (3% interception machine regressed this past year)

2012 QB AJ Mcarron National Champion (backup bengals)

2011 QB AJ Mcarron National Champion (backup bengals)

2010 QB Cam Newton National Champion (Good QB)

2009 QB Greg Mcelroy National Champion (retired 2 years 31 att.)

2008 QB Tim Tebow National Champion (LOL)

2007 QB Matt Flynn National Champion (good vet backup)

2006 QB Chris Leak National Champion (never played in nfl)

2005 QB Vince Young National Champion (LOL)

2004 QB Matt Leinhart National Champion (one of the biggest busts of all time)

2003 QB Matt Mauck National Champion (couple of games with the titans and then retired)

2002 QB Craig Kenzel National Champion (6 games for the bears before retiring)

2001 QB Ken Dorsey National Champion (5 year career not very good)

National Championship is at best a poor indicator for success because most of those teams were loaded with purely better players at skill positions. Watson did not need to be good to win games with clemson because of the talent level on that team. Same with Jones and OSU or most of the other Champions.

Worthy of note but which one of those QBs above were drafted by the Cleveland Browns?

Bernie Kosar won a National Championship before he led the Browns to 3 AFC Championship Games. IMO, Kosar transcended that Miami Football program when he beat a much more talented Nebraska team. Jim Kelly deserves some credit for mentoring Kosar and having it all ready from someone like Bernie to get it to another level. The reason an ability to beat more talented teams can take on some degree of importance is that the situation in Cleveland demands just that. Joe Montana displayed this ability at ND before he went to the franchise DeBartolo kept failing with early and often with until he got the right HC Bill Walsh to find the right QB. While Aaron Rodgers never won a National Championship - he did lead his team to victory of a much more talented USC team. These QBs erased countless 2nd half deficits in the NFL with poise and precision when 1 mistake would have meant their team lost. I still find this kind of guy important.

In any event, this was the starting lineup on both sides of the ball (below) back when Kosar led Miami to the 1983 College Football Championship as a red shirt freshman. You can see the difference between a QB (Kosar) elevating the play of others around him vrs a talented team full of NFL prospects carrying lesser QBs like Craig Erickson, Steve Walsh and Ken Dorsey to National Championship Games. Eddie Brown (Antonio Brown's father) had some quick and short NFL success with Cincy but he ended up playing in the CFL/lesser leagues longer than the NFL if this old man's memory serves him right.

Offense

Position Name

QB Bernie Kosar

FB Albert Bentley

HB Keith Griffin

TE Glenn Dennison

WR Eddie Brown

WR Stanley Shakespeare

OT Paul Bertucelli

OG Juan Comendeiro

C Ian Sinclair

OG Alvin Ward

OT Dave Heffernan

Defense

Position Name

DE Danny Brown

RDT Kevin Fagan

MG Tony Fitzpatrick

LDT Fred Robinson

DE Julio Cortes

LB Jay Brophy

LB Ken Sisk

SC Rodney Bellinger

QC Reggie Sutton

ROV Kenny Calhoun

FS Eddie Williams

2015 QB Jake Coker National Champion (not in league)
2014 QB Cardale Jones National Champion (imploded after winning)
2013 QB Jameis Winston National Champion (3% interception machine regressed this past year)
2012 QB AJ Mcarron National Champion (backup bengals)
2011 QB AJ Mcarron National Champion (backup bengals)
2010 QB Cam Newton National Champion (Good QB)
2009 QB Greg Mcelroy National Champion (retired 2 years 31 att.)
2008 QB Tim Tebow National Champion (LOL)
2007 QB Matt Flynn National Champion (good vet backup)
2006 QB Chris Leak National Champion (never played in nfl)
2005 QB Vince Young National Champion (LOL)
2004 QB Matt Leinhart National Champion (one of the biggest busts of all time)
2003 QB Matt Mauck National Champion (couple of games with the titans and then retired)
2002 QB Craig Kenzel National Champion (6 games for the bears before retiring)
2001 QB Ken Dorsey National Champion (5 year career not very good)

OK, interesting topic. I wonder what QBs have won both a National Championship and an NFL Championship? Of this list, Cam Newton came closest. Have to go back and check to find out.

Tony grossi's latest mock has us taking davis webb at 33

1. Browns: DE Myles Garrett, Texas A&M

Any trade down would bring a first-round pick in 2018. Tempting?

2. San Francisco: DE Solomon Thomas, Stanford

Third D-linemen in three years taken by 49ers in first round.

3. Chicago: S Jamal Adams, Louisiana State

Best defensive back helps a needy secondary.

4. Jacksonville: RB Leonard Fournette, Louisiana State

A big back with speed to help Blake Bortles.

5. Tennessee: CB Marshon Lattimore, Ohio State

Dick LeBeau never had a cornerback this good in Pittsburgh.

6. N.Y. Jets: QB Mitchell Trubisky, North Carolina

Josh McCown’s next pupil after Johnny Manziel and Cody Kessler.

7. L.A. Chargers: FS Malik Hooker, Ohio State

Draft’s best ballhawk moves west.

8. Carolina: DE Jonathan Allen, Alabama

Panthers GM Dave Gettleman can’t pass up best player on board.

9. Cincinnati: DE Derek Barnett, Tennessee

When in doubt, bolster the pass rush.

10. Buffalo: WR Mike Williams, Clemson

A big target for Tyrod Taylor.

11. New Orleans: LB Reuben Foster, Alabama

12. Browns: TE O.J. Howard, Alabama

They’ll sweat out quarterback class at bottom of round.

13. Arizona: QB DeShone Kizer, Notre Dame

14. Philadelphia: CB Marlon Humphrey, Alabama

15. Indianapolis: LB Hasson Reddick, Temple

16. Baltimore: WR Corey Davis, Western Michigan

17. Washington: DT Malik McDowell, Michigan State

18. Tennessee: WR John Ross, Washington

19. Tampa Bay: RB Dalvin Cook, Florida State

20. Denver: RB Christian McCaffery, Stanford

21. Detroit: S Jabril Peppers, Michigan

22. Miami: CB Gareon Conley, Ohio State

23. N.Y. Giants: OT Ryan Ramczyk, Wisconsin

24. Oakland: OT Cam Robinson, Alabama

25. Houston: QB Pat Mahomes, Texas Tech

26. Seattle: CB Kenny King, Washington

27. Kansas City: QB Deshaun Watson, Clemson

28. Dallas: DE Charles Harris, Missouri

29. Green Bay: OG Forrest Lamp, Western Kentucky

30. Pittsburgh: LB Tim Williams, Alabama

31. Atlanta: DE Takkarist McKinley, UCLA

32. New Orleans: DE Taco Charlton, Michigan

33. Browns: QB Davis Webb, California

I'm not really sure i see us as the target for howard. In such a good TE Class i think we can get about the same later in the draft. i would prefer a Trade Back to get Mcaffery/Mahomes/Ramczyk/Peppers/ than taking howard at 12. But i would not be too upset if the draft played out like this :)

Grossi's current top QB's for the browns for the draft are

1.Trubisky
2.Mahomes
3.Webb

Which i think is completely fair at this point.

I'm not really sure i see us as the target for howard. In such a good TE Class i think we can get about the same later in the draft.

OJH is close to as good of a threat as there is in the draft.There are better, bigger pass threats, but none of the other prospects in that competition approach his blocking ability. That's what separates him from the 2017 TE pack.

He's easily a consideration at 12... IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you think if Jared goff would have went out and had a spectacular rookie season that Webb would be the top rated qb in this draft? With Webb having the better size and arm strength I have to think goffs underachieving rookie season hurt webbs draft stock, agree or disagree? I haven't watched any cal games nor do I study film like some people on here but what did goff do better than Davis? Mobility? Just wondering

Do you think if Jared goff would have went out and had a spectacular rookie season that Webb would be the top rated qb in this draft? With Webb having the better size and arm strength I have to think goffs underachieving rookie season hurt webbs draft stock, agree or disagree? I haven't watched any cal games nor do I study film like some people on here but what did goff do better than Davis? Mobility? Just wondering

Good questions...

It certainly did not help Webb that Goff shit down his leg most of 2016. But there were a lot of contributing factors to Goff's LAR, rookie pratfall. My guess is the impact on Webb simply varies team to team...

I do not think that if Goff lit it up, it would help Webb significantly. The tape is simply not there... neither in quality or quantity.

Comparing the two at Cal? I saw everything in Goff... pocket presence... reads... composure... arm... mechanics... and I saw them consistently. Webb? Glimpses here and there of most of those attributes, but I did not watch as much tape on Webb basically because I saw little to draw me in deeper.

Chad Forbes @NFLDraftBites

Browns Source 'You see we don't have bridge QB. Maybe we trade for McCarron. Bengals appear opposed to that. We like Trubisky & Webb.'

With the recent rumors of trading back into the first round i believe Webb is the target

Nothing really to add except he has been viewed by teams as a trade up target.

Also interesting to note is that the browns are not interested in Mahomes

And I thought taking Watson at #1 was bad! if the browns trade back into rd 1 to take Webb, we can start looking for a new regime now.

To me that is as idiotic as taking Kessler in the 3 or 4 wr's. Just poor drafting. Unfortunately we only have last year to look at for a track record for this FO. And it was not good compared to most others. In two weeks we get to see if to rookies learned anything. I've never been impressed with Sushi. Why would we trade up for someone likely to be there @ 33? Doesn't make any sense.

More of a "what have we learned" about FO Ag. A Better talented draft this season thru deeper rounds vs. last season.Maybe we won't pass for building picks? Clearly Kessler was on our board or moved to top of board than took a move down to still get him. #1.They will stick to guy at top of their board. If we have thoughts of moving up from 33? S & CB look better of landing a good one in a slimming down class by 20'ish pick,maybe a top DT aside Garrett? 4 WR's was like throwing lawn darts at the garbage can lids..1 or 2 may stick..

And I thought taking Watson at #1 was bad! if the browns trade back into rd 1 to take Webb, we can start looking for a new regime now.

To me that is as idiotic as taking Kessler in the 3 or 4 wr's. Just poor drafting. Unfortunately we only have last year to look at for a track record for this FO. And it was not good compared to most others. In two weeks we get to see if to rookies learned anything. I've never been impressed with Sushi. Why would we trade up for someone likely to be there @ 33? Doesn't make any sense.

There's no Guarantee that Webb will be there at 33 as the Cardinals,Chiefs,Chargers,Rams,Jets,Steelers,49ers and Bears have all met with Webb at various times throughout the draft process. The Jets,Bears,49ers,Chiefs,Browns have all been linked to Webb in roughly the second round but... the cost for the browns to move up and secure the 5th year option and jump high enough to take Webb without worry of someone else jumping up and taking him is fairly low all things considered. Denvers (20) for Browns (33) and one Future 2nd round and a 4th rounder 2017.

Breaking it down if we Take Mahomes and Kizer out of the equation as browns are supposedly not interested in either QB, if Mitch goes to the jets at 6 and Watson goes to the bills at 10 we have a top 10 non QB at 12. an Impact player OJH or Hooker or Foster or Mike Williams or top CB you get the picture there. Mahomes keeps getting slotted to the cards at 13 for some reason and assuming that he goes there that means the potential Trade down targets are the 49ers,Chiefs and Bears not even going to mention the Plethora of teams that need a Backup or a QB of the Future Ravens/Bucs/Saints that may use less assets to swap spots and take one of the Best Developmental Prospects at QB. Size+,Athleticism+,Arm Talent+. Physically he has all the tools needed to be a franchise QB, He just needs time to develop and the correct coaching to do it. Do we have that i dont know.

Also TexasAG, QB Play was not the reason we lost so much last year, Trash Defense is why we lost so much. if i had to pick one thing. Cody Played damn well for a rookie and the best a Browns Rookie QB has played. and we NEEDED as many shots at WR as possible after Ray Fucking Farmer drafted 1(Vince Mayle) in 2 years and let the position become the absolute worst in the league. Devon Bess, Dwayne Bowe,Miles Austin Wastes of space.

maybe I've been unfair to Webb and should watch more of his tape but the first go around I saw a guy who won't be able to cope with the pressure he sees in the NFL. Admittedly, it didn't take me a whole lot of time to come to that conclusion, but I just don't think his brain works fast enough for the pro game.

Furthermore, how would any of us know who the Browns do or don't like at QB? This FO doesn't ever tip their hand. No one knew Coleman was the guy last year, the Osweiler trade caught everyone out of left, but if they think that using multiple day 2 picks on Webb is the way to address the QB situation, I'll barf up the Browns Kool-aid.

Isn't Webb the QB prospect that came off as a super dick at the Combine?

Anyone may not make it anywhere in the draft. You cannot fuckin' draft scared... especially over midling talent.

I heard just the other day that Garrett may not make it to #2... :o

Isn't Webb the QB prospect that came off as a super dick at the Combine?

Anyone may not make it anywhere in the draft. You cannot fuckin' draft scared... especially over midling talent.

I heard just the other day that Garrett may not make it to #2... :o

Right... but if you WANT the guy then just hoping he falls into your lap is pretty foolhardy...

If you want to talk about midling talent the Kizer thread is on page 2 currently...

If you want to talk about midling talent the Kizer thread is on page 2 currently...

I've said all I'm going to say about that...

Archived