THE BROWNS BOARD

7 of 10 Americans Have less Than

Axe

Seems accurate. I know a lot of people in financial trouble living paycheck to paycheck if that. It amazes me that so many people don't know how to live within their means.

I was one of those people back in my 20s. I finally realized how important it was for me to have an emergency fund set aside after I had the perfect storm of unexpected expenses hit me in rapid succession and almost ruin me.

Now, I have enough set aside to cover my monthly bills for almost a year in case I ever lose my job. It's nice to have that feeling of security.

I was one of those people back in my 20s. I finally realized how important it was for me to have an emergency fund set aside after I had the perfect storm of unexpected expenses hit me in rapid succession and almost ruin me.

Now, I have enough set aside to cover my monthly bills for almost a year in case I ever lose my job. It's nice to have that feeling of security.

Same here and I think that's probably true across the board for most post-adolescent Americans. It does seem to me that in recent decades that post adolescent demographic seems to have expanded.

Many many years ago I purchased my first house, a dump, no doubt, but still I sat in the place and chuckled about all the years I flushed money down the toilet month after month after month to rent some place no nicer than this one.

In college five of us rented a house near the university for $125 a month.

That wouldn't pay my bar tab now.

:)

WSS

We budget a lot because it really keeps your finances in order. My wife is a big fan if paying predictable bills up to three months in advance so we always have a rather large buffer. Budgeting takes a few months of tight finances to get started effectively but once you have it established it yields rather positive results

$1000 in a savings acct..

UNREAL

Not sure I'm buying into this

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/personalfinance/2016/10/09/savings-study/91083712/

I was thinking along the same lines so I did a little fact checking and it's pretty much true and very scary for our people and country as a whole.....which is also deeply in DEBT.

I thought the Millenials were starting to get a handle on their attitudes toward money, saving, credit, debt and all the other related matters but it might not be happening fast enough although financial planning is not exclusive to any one group.

I've always been quite interested in the topic in general being from a pretty financially prudent family growing up. I also continued it somewhat in my personal and professional life and in college my undergraduate degree was a major in Industrial Management minor in Economics. In my MBA I had a dual major in Management and Finance which was my choice because that's where the action really is in business and life plus I enjoyed it.

Many years back the old standard was half the general population had less than $25,000 in savings and half of them had near $0. This 65-70% have less than $1,000 is shocking and outright scary.

I have done taxes for over 30 years as a sideline which I'm now retired and pretty much completely out of now, many years ago I set up a tax business which I turned over to a friend to run and SHE has done very well with it but in that time I've seen some strange and amazing returns. I have noticed over the last 10-15+ years an increased reliance on getting government assistance just to get by year to year, maybe month to month.

I have also done financial and tax planning for friends and family laying out the basics plus I try to lead them to take advantage of the abundant information online. Setting up the standard goals, age, time horizons, risk tolerance, systematic savings , etc. similar to setting up a 401(k) is relatively easy sticking to it is the hard part.

Finally I have no idea why they do not start teaching our kids at the junior high school level and require mandatory high school household finance courses before they graduate. Obviously most do not get this information at home.

Finally I have no idea why they do not start teaching our kids at the junior high school level and require mandatory high school household finance courses before they graduate. Obviously most do not get this information at home.

Hallelujah! When my daughter brought her high school schedule home this year I saw "Financial Management" as a required course, I knew somebody saw a need and made a change.

Maybe there's hope for the next generation.

I can relate actually. When the kids were at home and we had the big house it was expensive. Now that my wife and I are enjoying our modest apartment building things are cheaper so we can save now.

It needs to be broken down in an age category rather than just a general public. Come on fellas you know what's up.

Sounds about right - and not just limited to americans. Same story here, young people don't have life skills, whether it's financial management or even things like how to change a lightbulb, how to reset a tripped fuse, etc.

Sounds about right - and not just limited to americans. Same story here, young people don't have life skills, whether it's financial management or even things like how to change a lightbulb, how to reset a tripped fuse, etc.

And to be honest younger people have not grown up having to take care of most of that shit. You get your allowance but you don't usually have to pay the gas bill the water bill or the electric bill for the cable bill or buy the groceries or the mortgage or the rent or go to work...

It takes a few years to get used to that shit. Sorry Woody.

;)

WSS

And to be honest younger people have not grown up having to take care of most of that shit. You get your allowance but you don't usually have to pay the gas bill the water bill or the electric bill for the cable bill or buy the groceries or the mortgage or the rent or go to work...

It takes a few years to get used to that shit. Sorry Woody.

;)

WSS

My guess is Woody's one of the exceptions who can do that shit, tbf.

For me, university was actually really great for that. You're living on your own (or with a few others of the same age/experience) and for the first time you have to deal with that shit, but you can still lean on parents for advice, but also the student center has places that are designed to answer questions on those fronts.

I'm not sure how it's set up there though? Here you're in campus accommodation for first year, then on your own - find a place to live, pay rent, pay bills, keep the house running, mow the garden if necessary, all the little things you don't think about as a kid.

Oh I agree I just picked on Woody because he regularly gets upset if somebody mentions that young people don't have the life experience necessary to make some decisions.

I figure he has his shit together better than most, but don't tell the little arrogant fucker.

:D

WSS

1) No. I get annoyed when someone acts like being older automatically makes them right. Whether you're 22 or 82, you need to present a good argument with facts and data.

2) I've been paying for everything for years now. I'm getting ready to buy a house. I'm doing alright on the money side

(not having crippling student loan debt helps)

Come on now, she's not majoring in theater arts

Damn right bud.

It takes talent to major in theatre arts. And wisdom to minor in secondary ed.

And brains to major in engineering.

Women's studies requires only a vagina and a bad attitude.

Black studies are for gifted athletes on a scholarship without any reading and writing skills.

:D

WSS

She actually wants to be a lawyer...and she wants to go to Case.

I hope she doesn't expect good ol' dad to foot the bill.

First ask her if she knows how many lawyers there are now in Ohio. ;)

Archived