THE BROWNS BOARD

Squeelers and stupid dirty ratbirds have to be po'd

calfoxwc

NFL Draft Notebook: Mack's Making Some Moves 643709.jpg

Cal's Alex Mack (Jacobsohn/Getty Images)By Ed ThompsonScout.com Senior NFL Analyst

Posted Mar 23, 2009468498.jpg

Scout.com's top-ranked center, Alex Mack, has a pair of visits this week to a pair of AFC teams. Meanwhile, teams have been working out cornerbacks Don Carey and Joe Burnett, as well as UConn DE Cody Brown. Scout.com Senior NFL Analyst Ed Thompson has the details in his NFL Draft Notebook.

Alex Mack is packing his bags for a pair of visits to AFC North teams this week. According to a source, the former Cal center will spend some time in Baltimore visiting with the Ravens and will also be making a stop in Cleveland to visit with the Browns.

The interesting dynamic at play is that unless the Browns plan to make Mack, Scout.com's top-rated center in this draft class, the No. 5 pick overall, the Ravens could certainly pluck him off the board at No. 26 before Cleveland gets another shot at selecting him.

Another one of the many teams who have been showing interest in Mack is the Atlanta Falcons, who could snag the 6-foot-4, 307-pound center before the Ravens at No. 24 overall. The Falcons are scheduled to work him out on campus on April 3.

All three teams would benefit from Mack's football intelligence and aggressive, but technically-sound style of play. He would be a real asset to any team's offensive line, making the needed adjustments to help protect a young quarterback like Joe Flacco, Brady Quinn or Matt Ryan.

"I think I’m known for being an aggressive offensive lineman. I think I bring a lot to the table as far as finishing plays, playing to the whistle," Mack told the media at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis. "In my play, I have a lot of offer as far as attitude on the offensive line."

Mack was the 2008 winner of the Draddy Award, often referred to as the "Academic Heisman" that is awarded to the college football player who excels on the field, in the classroom and in serving the community.

Norfolk State's Don Carey may be from a smaller school, but his skills and intelligence at the cornerback position have certainly been noticed by NFL talent evaluators. He's was only the third player in the school's history to be invited to participate in the NFL Scouting Combine.

657003.jpg

Don Carey at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Scott Boehm/Getty Images

Carey told Scout.com during an exclusive interview that he had formal interviews with the Baltimore Ravens, Jacksonville Jaguars, Pittsburg Steelers and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at the Combine. And he's already been put through private workouts by the Seattle Seahawks, on March 16, and the Miami Dolphins, on March 19. The Dolphins are so interested in the 5-foot-11, 192-pound defensive back that they've also invited him for an official visit on April 7.

An extremely bright and hardworking individual, Carey had the grades to gain acceptance at Yale. But when the school didn't offer a football scholarship as well, finances kept him from pursuing that opportunity. So Carey pursued his college education and football career at Norfolk State, where he's currently the head tutor in his department when he's not playing football.

Carey's four years of starting experience and his depth of football intelligence have been a real asset during his conversations with NFL coaches and scouts.

"It's one thing to watch film on a guy and see how he plays on the field. But when you're able to sit down and get into face-to-face conversations, get inside his head, learn how well he knows the game and what direction he's going with his life, you get a more complete impression of him," he explained. "I think I've impressed a lot of people with my knowledge of the game, how well I was able to comprehend their playbook and explain my own."

During his senior year, Carey intercepted five passes, recovered a pair of fumbles, made 42 tackles, defended six passes and blocked a kick.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

or, to say it another way....

its just pointing out the obvious. you cant win without help.....so who's really the losers?

those who try and fail, or those who refuse to fail under any circumstances?

hmmmm.....

With comments like these, no wonder you guys root for losers. Always looking for an excuse why someone beats you every time instead of manning up.

Comments like these from opposing fans always make me wonder if they know where they're posting...

Harrison had roid rage on national tv. He could of killed someone. Give me a break.

You don't even have a clue what a roid rage is.

Lets ignore the cheap shot that was taken at Harrison's knee that happened right before that.

He did nothing you don't see in every hockey game. Get a grip would you? Just because you've had a team full of pussies for so long, doesn't mean the rest of the league doesn't have guys who will get in your face.

Lets ignore the cheap shot that was taken at Harrison's knee that happened right before that.

He did nothing you don't see in every hockey game. Get a grip would you? Just because you've had a team full of pussies for so long, doesn't mean the rest of the league doesn't have guys who will get in your face.

Haha, I love how a small little DB trying to go low on a big LB is considered a cheap shot.

I wasn't aware of this until after the draft but the Steelers actually rated Eric Wood above Mack for whatever reason. It seems everyone Pittsburgh drafted were players they've coveted since well before the draft. I think A.Q Shipley is going to surprise a lot of people anyway.

Just pouty pouty damage control.

The point is, the Steelers were screwed over- they didn't get either one.

So, it doesn't matter which one.

I guess we'll wait for the

"The Steelers had A.Q. #1 on their draft board all along" ROF,LMAO !

We love to laugh at the Steelers because of their low draft grades.

They laugh at us because we lose alot.

When it comes right down to it, we could have drafted Rothlesberger, Polumlu, Harrison, Woodley, Holmes, Ward, their tight end that scored more than Winslow, and Willie Parker. WE had the opprotunity to draft each one of these players, and instead took Quinn, Winslow, Edwards, Thomas (a great pick)

Who drafts better?

I love the Browns, but am not going to argue with Steeler fans about success in drafting.

Just pouty pouty damage control.

The point is, the Steelers were screwed over- they didn't get either one.

So, it doesn't matter which one.

I guess we'll wait for the

"The Steelers had A.Q. #1 on their draft board all along" ROF,LMAO !

I'm thrilled with our draft and was happy to get A.Q late in the draft. How exactly were the Steelers screwed over? Our defensive line is extremely productive but aging. We drafted Ziggy Hood a high motor, high character pass rushing defensive end at 32. We then trade our 2nd to the Broncos for two 3rds and draft a versatile corn fed lineman in Urbik out of Wisconsin and chase it with a player Mayock labeled "The fastest human being he's ever timed" and that even though it was the second fastest at the combine Mayock claimed to have clocked him at 4.28. Wallace is also high character with tremendous KR ability and slot presence. They then pick up a 6'1 200 pound physical corner in Keenan lewis who just so happens to be the best friend of Wallace. Burnett is then added who is the epitome of ball hawk and a great punt returner. We then grab Frank "THE TANK" Summers in the 5th along with a DT....and then snag Shipley? I'm stoked with the Steelers draft. Pittsburgh didn't get screwed, Pittsburgh did exactly what it does each and every year and thats drafting high value at every pick and every last player is high character, a staple of the Tomlin era. Thanks for the laugh.

Guest Aloysius

I remember hearing Todd McShay say that a scout told him, "If the game were played on skates, Ziggy Hood would be an all-pro." Not sure I'd be so happy with the pick if I were a Steeler fan.

Ziggy's got a lot of potential, but he hasn't consistently played up to his workout numbers. A guy with a 36 bench shouldn't have a rep for getting blown off the LOS.

I do like the rest of the Steelers draft, though.

I remember hearing Todd McShay say that a scout told him, "If the game were played on skates, Ziggy Hood would be an all-pro." Not sure I'd be so happy with the pick if I were a Steeler fan.

Ziggy's got a lot of potential, but he hasn't consistently played up to his workout numbers. A guy with a 36 bench shouldn't have a rep for getting blown off the LOS.

And how many times have the Pittsburgh Steelers and more importantly Dick Lebeau molded a player to fit the need of the team? James Harrison undrafted and cut several times. Last year defensive player of the year. Pittsburgh and the front office certainly have their reasons for drafting certain players. How many misses have they had in the last 10 years in the first round? You out of anyone here should understand the success the Steelers routinely have in the draft. I'm not at all worried about Ziggy Hood. Pittsburgh drafted him for a reason.

Since 98' Troy Edwards is the only miss.

1998 26 Faneca, Alan G LSU

1999 13 Edwards, Troy WR Louisiana Tech

2000 8 Burress, Plaxico WR Michigan State

2001 19 Hampton, Casey DT Texas [l]

2002 30 Simmons, Kendall G Auburn

2003 16 Polamalu, Troy DB USC [m]

2004 11 Roethlisberger, BenQB Miami (OH)

2005 30 Miller, Heath TE Virginia

2006 25 Holmes, Santonio WR Ohio State [n]

2007 15 Timmons, Lawrence LB Florida State

2008 23 Mendenhall, Rashard RB Illinois

2009 32 Hood, Evander DT Missouri

We're talking about Mack here. The first round draft choice.

Your change of subject - talking about the entire dreft, isn't the point.

Unless, you think the Steelers had Hood at the top of their list, and they would

never have drafted a center or olineman.

Of course, it's all over the net that the oline was the #1 priority of the Steelers in the draft.

Guest Aloysius
And how many times have the Pittsburgh Steelers and more importantly Dick Lebeau molded a player to fit the need of the team? James Harrison undrafted and cut several times. Last year defensive player of the year. Pittsburgh and the front office certainly have their reasons for drafting certain players. How many misses have they had in the last 10 years in the first round? You out of anyone here should understand the success the Steelers routinely have in the draft. I'm not at all worried about Ziggy Hood. Pittsburgh drafted him for a reason.

Yes, the Steelers have a good track record. But based on your logic, Stiller fans shouldn't ever have doubts about your draft choices because of that past history of success. Not sure I'd be that trusting of the front office, even if it's a good one.

And I don't think the Harrison example helps you. If Ziggy Hood takes as long as Harrison did to develop, he'll end up being the next Ryan McBean. While the Steelers have been very good at developing later round prospects into solid DE's, the Hood pick breaks from that mold. He'll be expected to contribute early on, and - based on scouts' comments and what I've seen the few times I watched Mizzou - he could struggle early on. He flashes ability, like when he spin moved everyone into silliness at the Senior Bowl, but I'm not sure he's as great a run defender as his workout numbers would indicate.

"Get in your face" is not what I'd call what Harrison did.... :huh:

I believe it was more like this:

harrisonisafag.gif

Yea, stop trying to shift the blame here. If I trip you on the sidewalk, it doesn't give you the right to shoot me in the face.

Oh, and btw: We are playing football, not hockey here. Different rules, mk? :)

"Get in your face" is not what I'd call what Harrison did.... :huh:

I believe it was more like this:

harrisonisafag.gif

Yea, stop trying to shift the blame here. If I trip you on the sidewalk, it doesn't give you the right to shoot me in the face.

Oh, and btw: We are playing football, not hockey here. Different rules, mk? :)

Don't waste your time. Stooler fans think it's admirable to take cheap shots at guys completely out of the play. That douche is probably pounding his man-breasts in vicarious celebration for what Harrison did on that play that was half the field away from him.

Archived