THE BROWNS BOARD

☆ 2016 WORLD SERIES ☆ Chicago Cubs vs CLEVELAND INDIANS ☆

mjp28

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hes already pitched in this world series and they said he's good for 60 pitches.

Fuck the scrubs like otero

Yep, I'm so glad we put arguably our worst reliever out there when we had Salazar or anyone else to get out of the jam. /s

This game comes down to a missed catch by the worthless bum Naquin. Anyone who has played baseball can tell you power of momentum. Getting out of an early jam gives the pitcher and team confidence you can do it again if need be or to get back in it. That moron sealed our fate this game and couldn't hit a beach ball with his bat. I don't get why he's out there, just a bad decision.

I swear to the various Gods the hatred I have for Naquin burns with the passion of a thousand suns. Tito HAS to realize the moment is too big for that moron in that game. Not bringing in Davis is inexcusable-love Tito but seriously? what the actual fuck did he think he was gonna do there?

I swear to the various Gods the hatred I have for Naquin burns with the passion of a thousand suns. Tito HAS to realize the moment is too big for that moron in that game. Not bringing in Davis is inexcusable-love Tito but seriously? what the actual fuck did he think he was gonna do there?

as soon as he come up,,,,,,,,we all knew he would strikeout

Yep, I'm so glad we put arguably our worst reliever out there when we had Salazar or anyone else to get out of the jam. /s

This game comes down to a missed catch by the worthless bum Naquin. Anyone who has played baseball can tell you power of momentum. Getting out of an early jam gives the pitcher and team confidence you can do it again if need be or to get back in it. That moron sealed our fate this game and couldn't hit a beach ball with his bat. I don't get why he's out there, just a bad decision.

Naquin does suck balls but still 3-1 looks a hell of a lot better than 7-1

Just had the highest BA on the team during the season. Yeah, "he sucks." STFU.

You're better than that. Regular season and post season are two different animals, period.

Arrieta's fastball command is the main reason he stays in games. Naquin has shown without a single second thought he can't hit a fastball (which is pathetic but that's a different story). Bases loaded and a guy who has fastball command and you throw the rook out there who already fucked up royally and can't hit a fastball? Doesn't add up to me when you got a guy like Davis in the wings. Don't care about righty on lefty, the second he came to the plate you could tell in his face the moment was too big for him.

Just hate how much momentum we've given these guys tonight. Kluber has been our savior and our best arms are healthy but these guys are gonna have so much trust in their bats. Man, just about as bad as it go tonight on multiple levels.

Agreed completely...but I'm still feeling good about kluber in game 7.

I've said since the beginning if we beat their starter our bullpen will bring it home for us. Obviously didn't happen today.

Tad noisy in The Jake when the Cubbies did something for my taste.

Hopefully many, many more Game 7 tix stay in the hands of the Tribe faithful...

GO TRIBE!

CLEVELAND -- The following is offered without undue hype or hyperbole. It is simply true. We are about to witness the most anticipated Game 7 in baseball history.

This seemingly subjective idea is actually objectively accurate, because the Chicago Cubs and the Cleveland Indians came into this World Series with a combined championship drought -- an unthinkable 176 years -- that is the longest in the history of the Fall Classic. So now that we know for certain, in the wake of the Cubs' 9-3 victory in Game 6 on Tuesday, that in one game -- on one wild and wonderful Wednesday night at Progressive Field -- one of these teams is finally, mercifully going to be on top of the baseball world. The other club will see its misery extended, and it is impossible to find any parallel in the long history of this sport.

The last time each of these teams reached the World Series (1945 for the Cubs, '97 for the Indians), it went to a Game 7, so it's only fitting that this one has, too. The anticipation for this game on FOX is so strong that the game time has already been moved up eight minutes, from 8:08 p.m. ET to 8 p.m. on the nose.

"One thing's for certain," said Indians first baseman Mike Napoli. "There's going to be a champion tomorrow."

Clevelanders, who haven't seen a Tribe team win it all since 1948, are holding out hope for their second major sports title in a bit more than four months, but their first clinch in town since the Browns' 1964 NFL championship.

Out in Wrigleyville, they're praying to bury the billy goat and all the awful endings that have pervaded their 108-year wait.

This Game 7 is accompanied by so much angst and anxiety that it's easy to get swept up in the overarching storylines and forget we've got two very good, very worthy ballclubs that have fashioned a fascinating Fall Classic that stands on its own terms, droughts notwithstanding.

"It's been a very well-contested Series," Cubs manager Joe Maddon said. "Both sides have played really good baseball. [There's] been outstanding pitching. ... All of a sudden, our offense is having a resurgence, which we need. Of course we want to be the group that breaks the string, but it's just correct and apt that we'd go seven games."

Now, whether this will be the best Game 7 in baseball history, well, one figures Corey Kluber and Kyle Hendricks will go a long way toward determining that. These are two 2016 Cy Young Award candidates trying to pitch their club to the Promised Land, adding to the immediate allure of a game that, inherently, is all about burying the past.

Terry Francona and the Indians never wanted it to come to this. They were, in what feels like ages ago, up 3-1 -- an advantage only five previous teams haven't turned into a title in a best-of-seven World Series.

But the Indians knew all along that if it did happen to come to this, they'd have Kluber, who has an 0.89 ERA in 30 1/3 innings this postseason and an 0.75 ERA in 12 innings in this World Series, in their back pocket. Kluber will attempt to become just the 14th pitcher in history -- and the first since Randy Johnson in 2001 with the D-backs -- to earn three victories in a single World Series.

It was actually Kluber's winning decision in the All-Star Game that helped Cleveland get the hosting honors here.

"I never connected those dots at that point in time," Kluber said.

Hard not to connect them now.

Oh, and while Kluber is on three days' rest, closer Cody Allen and high-leverage lefty Andrew Miller, on whose back the Indians climbed to get to this Fall Classic, haven't pitched in three days. So Francona, who hasn't been shy about employing those particular weapons this postseason, can be aggressive again if the Tribe gets a lead.

The availability of their relief aces and their actual ace is a scenario that gives the Indians great confidence, even as the Cubs clearly have whatever momentum exists in baseball.

"It's an honor to even be a part of it, and we're going to give it everything we have," Francona said. "I can't imagine a better group of guys to go through something like this with. I'm looking forward to it already."

How big is the home-field edge the Tribe holds in this one? Well, hard to say. Thirty-seven previous World Series have come down to a decisive game (one of them was actually a Game 8, because the 1912 World Series included a Game 2 tie). The home team has won 19 times, the visiting team 18. It's 18-18 in winner-take-all Game 7s.

And while the home team has won nine of the past 10 World Series Game 7s, the 2014 Royals lost the most recent one at Kauffman Stadium when a guy named Madison Bumgarner came out of the Giants' bullpen and took over.

In other words, if the visiting pitcher is on, it doesn't really matter what history says for the home club.

Which brings us to Hendricks. His October has basically been an extension of his regular season, which is a high compliment. After posting a Major League-best 2.13 ERA in-season, Hendricks has a 1.31 mark in 20 2/3 innings over four postseason starts.

Ordinarily, we'd say Hendricks' primary job is to build a bridge to Aroldis Chapman. While the flame-throwing lefty's availability for Game 7 is unquestioned, it is worth wondering, after Chapman wrote a new version of "Eight Men Out" in Game 5 (using 42 pitches) and got another four outs in Game 6 (20 pitches) if he's as sharp should he be asked for another extended outing. That said, with Chapman approaching free agency and tomorrow nonexistent (in baseball, anyway), it could be a no-holds-barred situation for a Cubs team trying to become the first club since the 1979 Pirates to win Games 6 and 7 of the World Series on the road after trailing 3-1.

That's what makes Game 7s so great.

"This," Hendricks said, "is the ultimate dream."

For one fan base, it will be the wildest dream come true. For the other, it will be an absolute nightmare come to life. And now, after 176 years of collective waiting for the triumph of a title, they've got a golden Game 7 opportunity.

Can't wait.

11/02 8:00 PM - WORLD SERIES - GAME 7 - This is it from CLEVELAND, OHIO!

901 Chi. Cubs open -140 now consensus -116

902 Cleveland open +130 now consensus +106 - nearly dead even for GAME 7.

TOTAL RUNS - 6½ with Kluber pitching.

Pitchers: (CHC) Kyle Hendricks ® (CLE) Corey Kluber ®

Time-change to 08:00pm EDT | TV: FOX | MOSTLY CLOUDY, 40% CHANCE LIGHT SHOWERS LATE. WIND OUT TO CENTER 6-11. GAME TEMP 70, RH 61%

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ODDS TO WIN 2016 WORLD SERIES (11/2/16)

Team Odds

Chicago Cubs 5/6

Cleveland Indians 1/1 <---- nearly dead even, this is it.

All on kluber/miller/Allen tonight

I really expected a good game from Tomlin yesterday but everything hung over the plate

It might have been different if there wasn't that flubbed fly ball in the first. Talk about a momentum builder.

Archived