THE BROWNS BOARD

But the polls bro...so scientific....

Pumpkin Eater

wrong.

if it was by popular vote alone - the states with comparatively small populations would be insignificant in every presidential election. Why should THEIR vote

be counted for nothing?

http://dailysignal.com/2016/11/07/why-the-founders-created-the-electoral-college/

I know there's a new electoral college thread, but...

Wrong question, cal. The correct one is why should the smallest states' citizens' votes count disproportionately more than the largest's?

Your reference is very selective in its citations of Hamilton's intent and ignores his actions when he saw the Electoral College being bastardized, but one thing it does do is say your position is incorrect:

The system empowers states, especially smaller ones, because it incentivizes presidential candidates to appeal to places that may be far away from population centers.

But as much as I love it when your own references support the opposite of your posts, I'll get into that in the new thread... so there's no reason for you to tell me how I'm wrong here.

Even though they've been saying the Democrats have a ridiculous advantage with the electoral map due to shifting demographics.

Without the electoral college honestly California might as well be the only state that votes for the president - I'm up for reform but there has to be some kind of system to represent the rest of America too (like the electoral college)

Unlike 2000 though, Trump won the electoral college in a landslide.

Ditto on the "see you in the other thread", bb... including some information you apparently may lack for a change.

Here is what I said, Tour:

"wrong.

if it was by popular vote alone - the states with comparatively small populations would be insignificant in every presidential election. Why should THEIR vote

be counted for nothing?

Wrong question, cal. The correct one is why should the smallest states' citizens' votes count disproportionately more than the largest's?

Your reference is very selective in its citations of Hamilton's intent and ignores his actions when he saw the Electoral College being bastardized, but one thing it does do is say your position is incorrect:

The system empowers states, especially smaller ones, because it incentivizes presidential candidates to appeal to places that may be far away from population centers.

But as much as I love it when your own references support the opposite of your posts, I'll get into that in the new thread... so there's no reason for you to tell me how I'm wrong here.

oh, yes there is. Look at what I said, and what you said. In effect, we are saying the same thing. The electoral college

lends still-important status to states with less population, away from population centers like giant cities, so presidential candidates

still need to take them into account.

Tell me, how is it that you think your are correct, and I was wrong?

The constitution is set up to avoid decisions based on simple majorities. Consider what it takes to ratify an amendment. Or to pass a bill, it has to go through both legislatures and be signed by the president, and takes a super majority to over ride a presidential veto.

I mean if simple majorities ruled and everything was based off of a simple majority of the vote our country would be much different today.

Here is what I said, Tour:
"wrong.
if it was by popular vote alone - the states with comparatively small populations would be insignificant in every presidential election. Why should THEIR vote be counted for nothing?
oh, yes there is. Look at what I said, and what you said. In effect, we are saying the same thing. The electoral college
lends still-important status to states with less population, away from population centers like giant cities, so presidential candidates
still need to take them into account.
Tell me, how is it that you think your are correct, and I was wrong?

Because your Dailer Caller argues that moving to a popular vote would cause smaller states' vote to be "counted for nothing".

Popular vote determination would count all votes the same.

I still have to get into the Electoral College thread... but too late tonite...

but collectively, it would negate the legitimacy of sparsely population states in the process.

NY, Cal., could easily rule the day, along with Philly, Chicago and Boston.

The huge population of those few states would render alllllll the other states meaningless,

and dominated forever, with the cities' interests much different that the sparsely populated states.

Saying "all votes count the same", is meaningless when "giant population centers are the only interests

that matter in the electoral process".

It's like tyranny by giant cities. All those other states don't matter. That is the danger of the idea of

a popular vote rule.

Most certainly, YES. Saying "no" doesn't make you correct. That's just an old liberal mind trick. No workee.

and I didn't say smaller states. Smaller populations per state.

Archived