THE BROWNS BOARD

Obama to push for TPP approval before Trump's inaugeration

bbedward

Not enough kids planning for their future, thinking about career options, thinking about backup career options, and honestly, trades just aren't "sexy" enough for kids. Everyone wants to be an artist, or whatever the fuck else. I'm pretty sure they don't even *realise* how good the money is in plumbing etc.

Not sexy enough??? In other words its beneath them right? Meant for the lesser people in our society? I'm too good for that, that's why we let the illegals stay mentality?

Not sexy enough??? In other words its beneath them right? Meant for the lesser people in our society? I'm too good for that, that's why we let the illegals stay mentality?

Yes and no - the same people botching about immigrants stealing their jobs are paying no attention to the massive skills shortages we have.

There's a skill shortage in software development though and people think that's sexy. Wonder what the difference is?

Yes and no - the same people botching about immigrants stealing their jobs are paying no attention to the massive skills shortages we have.

There's a skill shortage in software development though and people think that's sexy. Wonder what the difference is?

I'm pretty sure, unless Ted Nugent is the standard American to you, the issue is more about the benefits given to people that get paid under the table and ship their money back home. It's pure manipulation of the system, but you probably think that's racist bullshit.

I guess we can fix the skill shortage when these kids are done playing pokemon or snapchating about playing pokemon.

If u learn a trade you always have it. When i was in college i worked at a harley dealership and some of the guys in the back were getting their time in the shop ontop of getting sn eng degree because at the time harley required you to have like 8-10 years exp working on bikes before u could apply for an engineering pisition. I think thats an outstanding business model. They dont want fresh nubs right out of school.

wrong. I was a software developer - truth is, the foreign workers were hired, took jobs away from

people who had solid skills. But the indonesians, indians, etc etc. come over here, their med insurance was

subsidized by their foreign company, they didn't just work 8 hr days, they would work 12-14 hr days nearly lived at work - they had nothing better to do except go home and watch tv with the rest of their group. Their families were back in their county for a year, some of them lived in houses and apts -owned- by their company. Some knew basic English..

But their ability to develop American software was very limited. I spent part of my career fixing software developed by them. I have been asked to help them on some projects - because they lapsed into their own language, which is really dumb. Their interfaces are hell for Americans to work with. I've heard them talking to programming "handlers",

in their own language, getting help on the phone.

But it saves a company a lot of money. THAT is why they do it. American workers cost a lot more, and obviously

mot of them have families at home and they don't want to live at work. I've known a lot of software developers,

business analysts, system analysts etc... who lost their jobs because they got replaced by these foreign folks.

When the foreign folks' contract was up, they went back to their country as another one was brought over.

And their code is garbage often. They get samples of code in email or fax, or even over the phone, to help

them know how to write software here. A lot of times, i've been helping them, and they couldn't explain

their own code to me. One, she showed me the original code, and admitted most of them had limited experience,

and she couldn't transpose the code she was given into the specific functionality needed.

Years past, I've run meetings with software users who were really upset. They couldn't understand the foreign programmers, they gave them stuff different than what they explained they needed, they all used the same bad interface that didn't apply, etc etc etc.

I ended up scrapping their program, and re-writing them from scratch. Somewhere, I think I still have

thank you letters from groups, and awards for that. I still have a marble, gold plated glass business card

holder... unless I finally threw it out - somewhere in three or four boxes of stuff.

Shortage? that's corporate cya for "screw over American workeres - these foreign workers may suck, but

they are cheaper"

A friend in N.C. has seen a lot of workers let go - their company was bought out by a bigger company. In the transition, he has to work with foreigners - on contract while they are in our country.

The company we both used to work for, was great, til new management came in.

They hired foreigners. And they let people go, several of them, every week. The "new corporate culture"

...was that everybody had to start working 65 to 75 hrs a week -same salary......, or else. Most of the fired folks, had families, were coaches for their kids, had all sorts of responsibilities in their lives away from work.

This company didn't give a damn. I knew a lot of really terrific workers - great skills, excellent people, excellent work ethic. And they all lost their jobs. and the foreign workers flooded in.

One of my friends was a little league and soccer coach - etc. he was outstanding in his work. He told them

there was never going to be a time when he would work all those long hrs - he'd be giving up his family.

They fired him the first time he told them that. He ended up working for Warner Cable, installing cable boxes, and said life was wonderful again. Not as "rich"...but wonderful again.

After I retired, I've still kept hearing the stories - it's a national disgrace, and it's kept quiet in all the smaller

stories of workers who lost their jobs for the same reason. Nobody tells their stories in the media, they

would just get sued for it.

What I am telling you, is sometimes a precurser to moving their business completely out of country.

Trump knows this stuff. "American skills shortage" a hippo's ass.

It will be interesting to see howvtrumps anti china rhetoric will pan out. From what i read one of the pluses to the tpp was being able to better control the pilfering of intellectual property by china. Trump has to do something about that. Just saying fuck u to china means they'll just go ahead and keep stealing our shit and now that the u.s will be out of the picture china will dominate the pac rim.

The difference as I see it is that software developers don't have to work. I mean of course they have to work but they're largely sitting in front of a computer. They're not busting their asses.

Archived