THE BROWNS BOARD

Question about the GM bailout

Westside Steve

I've heard the Democrats grumbling that Obama saved GM in a much bigger way then Trump saved Carrier. Just at the surface it doesn't seem that way to me except for the fact that carrier received a promise of tax incentives, right? Okay someone who understands the situation can help me out unless you just going to regurgitate the MSNBC Whoopi Goldberg's talking points, okay?

I was under the impression that GM was eventually allowed to go bankrupt opposed to the original promise. Yes it did bail them out but it's my understanding that it bailed them out at the expense of shareholders. And taxpayers. I'm sure it's some kind of reorganization was necessary but for some reason for it was able to do it without bankrupting their investors. Does someone who understands the situation have something to add to that? Thank you.

WSS

I've heard the Democrats grumbling that Obama saved GM in a much bigger way then Trump saved Carrier. Just at the surface it doesn't seem that way to me except for the fact that carrier received a promise of tax incentives, right? Okay someone who understands the situation can help me out unless you just going to regurgitate the MSNBC Whoopi Goldberg's talking points, okay?

I was under the impression that GM was eventually allowed to go bankrupt opposed to the original promise. Yes it did bail them out but it's my understanding that it bailed them out at the expense of shareholders. And taxpayers. I'm sure it's some kind of reorganization was necessary but for some reason for it was able to do it without bankrupting their investors. Does someone who understands the situation have something to add to that? Thank you.

WSS

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2015/jan/22/barack-obama/obama-says-automakers-have-paid-back-all-loans-it-/

the bailout was taxpayer money...given to them.

The Carrier deal is a precedent for enabling companies to stay

in country with less high taxes, and regulations.

I could be wrong.. Gettin old and the memory isn't what it used to be and I'm too lazy to google it. But I believe yes, GM did receive a tax payer funded bail out and iirc they paid the entire amount back with interest.. Am I thinking of another bail out? :wacko:

wait a minute, liberals whine that Carrier staying, and the tax break comes out of the taxpayers' taxes.... "haha"

where do they think the bailout of GM came from????

Archived