THE BROWNS BOARD

Mike Lombardi Predicts Browns Trade For Jimmy Garoppolo

Opal312

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's no more room for error with our 1st round picks so if we have the 1st overall pick - I'd hate to see us bullied into taking a QB at the expense of getting the pick of the litter at any other play maker position. I've followed this league a long time, and some years the supply and demand of 1st QBs just sucks. I'm not saying that's the case as much as I'm saying I'm worried my premature glance at it all is giving me a sick pit in my stomach.

Tom, there hasn't been any room for error in our drafts for the last 10 years, but there were plenty of errors. :) Just for a change, will you draft a super dooper star for a change? At worst, we're going to draft second, (will give us Garrett or Mitch), and another likely pick in the top 10, which will be for the side of the ball we don't take with the top pick.

I positively hate the idea of trading for Garropolo. Bill rarely makes mistakes dumping players.

Just read an article that basically said a trade for Garoppolo would "cost us a fortune". I don't think they got into specifics, but just the thought of giving up too much for a largely unproven guy makes me wanna vomit. If we get the next Matt Flynn, it would cripple us for YEARS.

And we've BEEN crippled for years. I...just...can't....right now.

Just read an article that basically said a trade for Garoppolo would "cost us a fortune". I don't think they got into specifics, but just the thought of giving up too much for a largely unproven guy makes me wanna vomit. If we get the next Matt Flynn, it would cripple us for YEARS.

Can't see how, as it stands - he's going into the last year of his contract, after all.

Problem is, he'll probably be looking for Osweiler status and money, and that was a stupid, stupid deal for Houston.

Can't see how, as it stands - he's going into the last year of his contract, after all.

Problem is, he'll probably be looking for Osweiler status and money, and that was a stupid, stupid deal for Houston.

Even Osweiler had shown more than Garrapolo by the end of their contracts. I really don't get this link and hope it's crap.

It's what the Pats do... build up the player... the market takes care of itself. Brady's opening four-game suspension was a god send to this effort. Whatever Jimmy's contract demands end up being, they will not be NE's problem.

I shit you not... NYJ's Petty is going to end up being an UFA target this off-season.

I watched a good chunk of the NYJ-SF game yesterday and he grew in that game. His shared reaction with his OL to Powell's winning TD run at the end of that OT drive showed they have embraced him. He only threw one pass in that drive, but it was a 26-yard beauty. If you want a cold-weather QB whose throws can slice thru the wind, put Bryce on your list.

Still a work in progress... you can still come away thinking his full name is "Petty short pass complete", if you read his play-by-play log... but he's growing. And now he's a winning, NFL QB.

And now he's a winning, NFL QB.

Who also happens to play for a team in dire need of a QB themselves. Ryan Beardpatrick won't be there next year, neither will Geno.

He's also not a UFA, btw? He's under contract until 2018

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/bryce-petty-16829/

Who also happens to play for a team in dire need of a QB themselves. Ryan Beardpatrick won't be there next year, neither will Geno.

He's also not a UFA, btw? He's under contract until 2018

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/bryce-petty-16829/

lol... I did know that... yesterday in fact... or was it Saturday?

But as Chad & Jeremy once sang...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0ZJTbuFxjk

What's constantly amazes me is I can recall useless shit that's 40-years old, like Chad & Jeremy's "relevance", but not important stuff like football contract durations that I looked up a day or two ago when I posted I'd give NYJ a 6th for Petty. But after Petty's performance yesterday I think the song's appropriate for that deal as well.

Belichick is trying to dump him on us for a steal because he has no faith in Garropolo. BB has his hand up Lombardi's back like a ventriloquist and his dummy.

Jackson would be a fucktard for going along with it. "Get the stupid, inexperienced Browns FO to buy our BS".

Like those guys in Draft Day that Kevin Costner traded a 1st round pick to for 2 2s.

Fuck that.

I wouldn't mind it for a 2nd round pick, and so long as the Browns still drafted someone like Trubisky. Rumor here in New England is that it's not his ability but his durability that's in question and why Bill might trade him, and that Bill supposedly likes Brissett enough to let Garropolo go.

A smart coach/GM who already has his franchise QB would draft, develop and trade a young QB every year because they are at such a premium now that you'll probably get more than what their worth every time. That's probably what Bill is doing here.

His numbers look good, but he has all of two starts. Hey, this guy looked pretty good for a year with the Patriots too. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CassMa00.htm

Mike Lombardi is so useless, that if he were an Eskimo, he'd be set out to sea on floating piece of ice to die.

Zombo

^^^ LOL.

The real point is this; Do you trust the Browns front office to draft the best player available? I don't! With two first round picks they have to get it right this year! An edge rusher to go along with Jaimee Collins makes sense. If Myles Garrett is the BPA then GET A QB later on. None of the current crop stand out and we do have Kessler, Hogan & RG3. Wouldn't building an OLINE be priority #1?

I know it's a long way off but we can still speculate!

The real point is this; Do you trust the Browns front office to draft the best player available? I don't! With two first round picks they have to get it right this year! An edge rusher to go along with Jaimee Collins makes sense. If Myles Garrett is the BPA then GET A QB later on. None of the current crop stand out and we do have Kessler, Hogan & RG3. Wouldn't building an OLINE be priority #1?

I know it's a long way off but we can still speculate!

Unless Griffin improves by a couple orders of magnitude the last three games- he's as good as gone. A 38 qbr doesn't cut it. The o-line can be dramatically improved with one of the second round picks. Bitonio was a second rounder, and I've mentioned a couple times I like Elflin from Ohio State.

They need to sign a FA QB..

Our team has wayyyy too many weaknesses to take a #1 on a QB... unless he's a sure thing which isn't the case in this draft.

I mean, how many QB's have we been through this year? Sign a guy like Garopollo or McCarron and fix the line in the draft!

Drafting an inexperienced QB #1 when our team has this many holes? Come on..

We better be drafting OL high and often

(Only exception would be if we take Garrett #1)

Your username doesn't check out, Mitch. Lol.

We don't need that many OL. Ours are either hurt (Bitonio, Greco, Reiter, Coleman early), hadn't settled in yet early in the season (Erving, Drango, Pasztor), or have just recently gotten their shot (Cooper). I would frankly only add one.

Or we could draft a ton, cut some then complain when they go elsewhere and play good ball, and wonder how we're going to address all our other needs.

Your username doesn't check out, Mitch. Lol.

We don't need that many OL. Ours are either hurt (Bitonio, Greco, Reiter, Coleman early), hadn't settled in yet early in the season (Erving, Drango, Pasztor), or have just recently gotten their shot (Cooper). I would frankly only add one.

Or we could draft a ton, cut some then complain when they go elsewhere, and wonder how we're going to address all our other needs.

You have a point, our injuries have been crazy this year.

I'd love to see Mitch here, but if we're talking practicality we shouldn't take him #1. We should take a blue chip player #1 and hopefully Mitch falls to the Eagles pick

They need to sign a FA QB..

I mean, how many QB's have we been through this year? Sign a guy like Garopollo or McCarron...

Both are signed thru 2017.

And ditto war's reply... although a day 2 pick on an interior OL might be prudent. One always falls to Day 2 thru no fault of his own.

I did hear Mel Kiper Jr yesterday talking about the idea that Jimmy Garoppolo would be a good fit for the Browns. One more year and he will be a free agent and Bill Belichick will get nothing. Also the Patriots would be loathe to pay him the big bucks as a backup while they already have one that can play. He would step into the Browns as the starter and shouldn't demand too high a draft pick. On the other hand Kiper did actually say that he thought Mitch trubisky was the best bet as a draft pick quarterback even though he would probably have to be a red shirt for one year. (Yes I know that just means riding the pine not an actual red shirt.)

Plus I liked Jimmy Garoppolo when he came out.

WSS

Duly noted... in case we "do it"... and Jimmy flames out... ;)

Well same goes for Mitch Trubisky or Deshaun Watson or Deshawn Kizer... Or RG3 or Cody Kessler or......

But one thing everybody keeps clamoring for is a rookie to sit on the bench and learning the game...

;)

If he blows it won't be the first time somebody bought a lemon from the Bill Belichick used car lot.

WSS

I'd be fine with this trade if it was the Titans 2nd round pick and a 2018 third. It'd be just as good as taking a rookie and at worst he doesn't up end being the guy (which we fudged up a lot) that we spent a few picks on. I think he has solid potential though compared to other options in the draft or otherwise.

I also like this option because as noted it totally frees up the first three picks for literally the other dozen holes we have.

The rumored price for Garoppolo is a first rounder, possibly plus some other picks, AND obviously a new contract for Garoppolo. How in the hell do you price that contract? Do something stupid like Osweiler got with Texans? It's very difficult. NFL analysts don't know everything...we understand that...but I keep reading that there won't be one single rookie QB who is capable of starting day 1. Players like Dak Prescott prove that point wrong, but there are WAY more players that prove that point RIGHT. And that's the thing, we NEED a day 1 starter because we don't really have the time to let some rookie QB marinate on the bench while we trudge out RG III, McCown, or Kessler. We don't have to reach the playoffs next year, but we DO need improvement.

I am in the pro-Jimmy Crowd.

He's not garbage just because Belichick is willing to trade him for a first rounder.

Brady is still playing like the best QB in the league and Jimmy has one year left on the contract.

The gamble has already paid off for Bill and now he can cash in that second rounder he spent on Jimmy.

I think he is a good QB with all the skills.

Better prospect than Kessler or those that might be available this year, in my opinion thus far.

Just pitching a tent in Camp Jimmy ... But I want to see more Kessler too.

Zombo

Archived