THE BROWNS BOARD

Mike Lombardi Predicts Browns Trade For Jimmy Garoppolo

Opal312

At the price of a first and second pick?

WSS

I really don't know enough about this outcoming draft class to go all in on something right now.

But I would trade that #1 we get from Philly for Garapollo at this writing.

That should be enough.

Z

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The rumored price for Garoppolo is a first rounder, possibly plus some other picks, AND obviously a new contract for Garoppolo. How in the hell do you price that contract? Do something stupid like Osweiler got with Texans? It's very difficult. NFL analysts don't know everything...we understand that...but I keep reading that there won't be one single rookie QB who is capable of starting day 1. Players like Dak Prescott prove that point wrong, but there are WAY more players that prove that point RIGHT. And that's the thing, we NEED a day 1 starter because we don't really have the time to let some rookie QB marinate on the bench while we trudge out RG III, McCown, or Kessler. We don't have to reach the playoffs next year, but we DO need improvement.

A few things there:

He would be under contract all of 2017, and we could franchise him the next year if need be. Give him 2017 to prove his worth (or not) and sign him to a big money deal afterward. If he plays hardball franchise him then pay the man the following season.

He's not going to garner a first round pick, that's just fodder from bloggers who has no other information than we do. The only reason Bradford got a 1st round tender is because the Vikings were beyond desperate and thought they could win a SB with a viable QB (not so right there). I think the Browns could easily get him for my valuation of a 2nd, 3rd, and 2018 third.

PS the guy that took the Browns jersey, with the extended list of quarterbacks hanging down the back, out of his window is a pussy.

Nah... Economic decision...

He was using his tallest mannequin and had nowhere to go short of buying Wilt Chamberlain from Madame Trousseau's...

The gamble has already paid off for Bill and now he can cash in that second rounder he spent on Jimmy.

That's it in a nutshell... Bill thinks of QBs as currency. Jimmy will will not be his first "cash".

I think the Browns could easily get him for my valuation of a 2nd, 3rd, and 2018 third.

That could be... Bill is not all that fond of R1 picks.

My initial reaction was you are a bit low, but after looking at the Matt Cassel trade with the Chiefs, I'm not sure. At the time people thought the Chiefs stole Cassell for a 2nd... #34 overall. The thing I'd forgotten was that NE included Mike Vrabel in the deal.

Turned out the market for Matt was not everything the Pats hoped/thought it would be despite his fairly thick resume. What will Jimmy G's market be?

However, since Cassel was a 7th round pick, the return was still pretty damn good... especially after they turned the #34 into Patrick Chung.

A few things there:

He would be under contract all of 2017, and we could franchise him the next year if need be. Give him 2017 to prove his worth (or not) and sign him to a big money deal afterward. If he plays hardball franchise him then pay the man the following season.

He's not going to garner a first round pick, that's just fodder from bloggers who has no other information than we do. The only reason Bradford got a 1st round tender is because the Vikings were beyond desperate and thought they could win a SB with a viable QB (not so right there). I think the Browns could easily get him for my valuation of a 2nd, 3rd, and 2018 third.

That's a good point about his contract. There's a large part of me that says if we get him for a second rounder, we should pull the damn trigger. Garoppolo got injured while playing the Fins, but I watched that game, and I remember him scanning the field and delivering the ball pretty damn well. His performance didn't appear to be a fluke. He didn't get his yards on trick plays or largely busted coverages. If he truly has the ability to get the ball out of his hands quickly and accurately, then we very well may have our guy here. Garoppolo is far from perfect, but let's get one thing straight: No matter who we select to be our new QB, they ALL have question marks. The allure of somebody like Garoppolo is he gets the ball out quickly, he appears to be quite accurate, he's decently athletic, and most of all...he's been in the NFL for a couple of years and played for perhaps the best coach AND played behind the best QB...ever.

Remember, the hot button stat for Hue Jackson QB's was the time it took for them to throw the ball. The desired time is 2.5 seconds. 2.5 seconds from snap to toss. Andy Dalton was the master at this, and when he gets into that rhythm, he can be deadly. Robert, Josh, and Cody did NOT do this, and it's pretty obvious what the results were.

God sake, not a first.

Kizer has been on my mind as a potential 2nd to mid round pick. If you want to throw that at the Pats instead of putting it on him, I would probably be ok with that.

He probably won't be available in the second, some team will nab him in the first.

Yeah I agree, I think he's going to be one of those trade into the late 1st round type of guys. If we do follow that plan Jesus Christ just don't pick him at 22.

I hope we DO pick him at 22.

Pick a QB at 22 every year. The one who ultimately breaks the streak will be the greatest QB to ever don a Browns jersey.

As we've discussed a few times, every year there is at least one QB prospect that seems to skyrocket up the board after having a terrific pro day, combine, or whatever. I could see Kizer being that guy because it could come out that Notre Dame was a bigger cluster than people thought, and succeeding with that group of idiots would've been challenging for anybody. Conversely, Kizer could be the QB that SLIDES down the draft, and he could have small hands, a low Wonderlic, or some unforeseen event that pops up out of his past. I could see it going either way. I DO KNOW that Kizer measures up in physical stature category (I don't know his hand size, but I assume it's fine). He certainly "looks the part", but I wasn't terribly impressed with his ability to make reads and fire an accurate ball to the open guy. I only watched him play a few times, and I think one game I watched he actually got benched. Can anybody imagine Teddy Twatwater getting benched? Derek Carr? Maybe it happened the year before they went into the draft, but I certainly don't remember it.

Like it does every year, the draft predictions are going to change monthly up until the draft. I am one of those fans who loves talking about the draft, especially during a draft where we've set ourselves up to basically control the early rounds. Historically, we haven't done too well when we've had multiple early picks, but that doesn't mean we can't get it right this time. It's WAY too early to call ANYONE a bust, but it's safe to say that virtually every single rookie we drafted last year has failed to live up to the lofty standards most of us had (Except maybe Ogbah). It's so tough to make any judgments on Corey Coleman because he got hurt, and then he comes back to a revolving door at QB, and a poor OL. Wide receiver is probably dependent more on every member of the team than any position, and that TOTALLY sucks for Corey. I mean, what are his numbers with Tom Brady? What are his numbers with a mid-tier QB? It's tough to say, but I feel like he'd be having a pretty good season if he played on a DECENT team. We'll never know, but it's just how I feel. I DO KNOW that he's been open enough times to have better numbers, but when you have RG III out there slinging the rock, or McCown and Kessler, his numbers will suck...and they have.

Here's a good video of Kizer playing against Nevada. It's not really a "highlight" reel, as it shows every run and every pass Kizer made during the game...even the bad ones. The video shows how much Kizer likes to run the QB draw, and he's pretty good at that and the option. He makes some very good throws, especially on 3rd and even 4th down. He threw well on the run, and his one truly bad pass was a pick he threw on a deep ball that was woefully under thrown. Watching this video can definitely provide the reasons why people like this kid. He's got the arm AND the legs. He also hit multiple receivers on the run so they could pick up YAC.

As we've discussed a few times, every year there is at least one QB prospect that seems to skyrocket up the board after having a terrific pro day, combine, or whatever. I could see Kizer being that guy because it could come out that Notre Dame was a bigger cluster than people thought, and succeeding with that group of idiots would've been challenging for anybody.

Conversely, Kizer could be the QB that SLIDES down the draft, and he could have small hands, a low Wonderlic, or some unforeseen event that pops up out of his past. I could see it going either way. I DO KNOW that Kizer measures up in physical stature category (I don't know his hand size, but I assume it's fine). He certainly "looks the part", but I wasn't terribly impressed with his ability to make reads and fire an accurate ball to the open guy. I only watched him play a few times, and I think one game I watched he actually got benched.

+1 for the bold faced bit...

Again, before your final verdict is rendered, I urge everyone to watch some of Kizer's 2015 tape. He was a distraction when I video scouted ND OLs last winter. I guarantee you will see what the underlined bit reports is not there. IIRC ND's bowl game vs. our Buckeyes was a pretty good example, but the best was his career outing vs. Pittsburgh.

"Effectively working fringes"

Is this what people mean by spin ?

Sounds like the front office version of....I can see it in their eyes.

My prediction- three qbs go in the first Mitch, Watson, and Kiser maybe more.

He probably won't be available in the second, some team will nab him in the first.

I know you like him TC- but I hope it's not us.

My prediction- three qbs go in the first Mitch, Watson, and Kiser maybe more.

I know you like him TC- but I hope it's not us.

Russell and Quinn went in the first back when media constantly informed us how pro ready Quinn was as often as they could.

As I've posted, I only saw Trubisky once and he looked pretty good on a day they lost to their cross town rival they were supposed to beat. That said, I don't think there's a big enough body of work that makes him a first QB as much as a disappointing supply for the demand. If he's the answer to anyone's prayers inclusive of the team he just played on, why is the guy only a 1 year starter in the ACC? You have to give me something better than your buddy in North Carolina really likes him. Does he read progressions to the extent he's on time? Is he a quick learner? I saw a lot of timing patterns predicated off the pre-specified drops that were accurate, which I liked.

Now factor this in. Not only will he have to read progressions at the speed of the NFL (not to be confused with the ACC) - but it will also have to be behind a pass protection that has struggled most of 2016. That can be quite a culture shock as we've witnessed here since 1999. We have quite an inventory of QBs that couldn't finish starts or fill in duty. Whitehurst almost had enough time to sip a cup of coffee here. And when we put a rookie QB in that started 3 seasons in college - he's got 2 concussions and a Partridge in a pear tree to show for it all. Nothing against Trubisky, but there's some things to be concerned about from a franchise that has deserved a lot of criticism for flushing first round picks down the toilet while many of us are hoping for early picks that can bring us sudden impact/game changing ability.

If he's the answer to anyone's prayers inclusive of the team he just played on, why is the guy only a 1 year starter in the ACC?

Doesn't help me that he sat at NC behind Marquise Williams, a dual-threat UDFA, who was cut by the Vikes and then signed by GB, where he's a #3 and has not seen the field this season. While it is certainly understandable why he has not, I did see a pre-season report that he "struggled".

Like you, however, I still have not "studied" him... and won't unless he declares.

Point being, if Kizer IS available in the 2nd. I would take my shot there.

+1 for the bold faced bit...

Again, before your final verdict is rendered, I urge everyone to watch some of Kizer's 2015 tape. He was a distraction when I video scouted ND OLs last winter. I guarantee you will see what the underlined bit reports is not there. IIRC ND's bowl game vs. our Buckeyes was a pretty good example, but the best was his career outing vs. Pittsburgh.

QB regression scares me. Because it's hard to tell how much is on the team around him, the dearth of talent, lack of coaching, or is it defenses finally having film.

I've no doubt of his physical talents. Between the ears trumps that always.

Doesn't help me that he sat at NC behind Marquise Williams, a dual-threat UDFA, who was cut by the Vikes and then signed by GB, where he's a #3 and has not seen the field this season. While it is certainly understandable why he has not, I did see a pre-season report that he "struggled".

Like you, however, I still have not "studied" him... and won't unless he declares.

Then you and Flugs need to tune in 2PM on the 30th NC - Stanford. I know me & Gip will. :)

QB regression scares me. Because it's hard to tell how much is on the team around him, the dearth of talent, lack of coaching, or is it defenses finally having film.

Agree... regression right up there with fast risers on the "fright-o-meter". But there are limits to the load any QB can carry, and the increase in Kizer's this season was palpable... and incessant.

Then you and Flugs need to tune in 2PM on the 30th NC - Stanford. I know me & Gip will. :)

Assuming I can wrestle the remote away from my youngest granddaughter and Peppa Pig... I'll be there.

Not sure I like my odds tho...

Point being, if Kizer IS available in the 2nd. I would take my shot there.

Oh, absolutely. If he's there in the second, you have to take your shot.

My feeling on Kizer is this - not one thing about Notre Dame helps him out. He doesn't look like he's comfortable with quick bubble screens, yet Kelly runs at least a game. His receivers have dropped many passes that have hit them directly in the hands; they're not exactly world beaters. St. Brown is his only real weapon. Their defense is atrocious and their running game is meh at best. Save for a handful of bonehead plays, Kizer is what's keeping them in games most of the time.

I'd rather gamble on a prospect who's performing despite his situation instead of capitalizing on having a better team. Kizer has his flaws, but I see Carr-esque potential in him.

My feeling on Kizer is this - not one thing about Notre Dame helps him out. He doesn't look like he's comfortable with quick bubble screens, yet Kelly runs at least a game. His receivers have dropped many passes that have hit them directly in the hands; they're not exactly world beaters. St. Brown is his only real weapon. Their defense is atrocious and their running game is meh at best. Save for a handful of bonehead plays, Kizer is what's keeping them in games most of the time.

I'd rather gamble on a prospect who's performing despite his situation instead of capitalizing on having a better team. Kizer has his flaws, but I see Carr-esque potential in him.

The little bit that I watched him this year, he looked atrocious....but again, I didn't watch a lot of ND this year.

That's exactly the same way I feel about Mitch TC. Trubiski has one weapon (Switzer) and his o-line pretty much stinks.

Archived