THE BROWNS BOARD

It's no surprise the Browns' draft was rated outstanding by some "experts"

calfoxwc

So much for a hundred mock drafts - they were all wrong.

The Browns had a BRILLIANT draft - we'll see how brilliantly it ends up,

but a lot of folks would bet their money on the Browns' draft being brilliant

after this season is over and next year. Like in the second round -

Sintim and Barwin were gone. But they weren't a Maybin or Mathews anyway.

Really clever draft by Mangini and Co.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/tracker#dt-t...y-round-input:2

Pick Player Pos Ht Wt College

Round 1, Pick 21 (21) (From Eagles) Alex Mack C 6'4" 311 California

Pick Analysis:After moving down multiple times in the first round, the Browns tab Mack as their pivot of the future. The former Golden Bear has outstanding overall skills and should man the middle of the Browns' line for years. Although the move doesn't have the sizzle of other potential choices, it fortifies the interior of the team's offense and should improve its dismal running game.

Round 2, Pick 4 (36) Brian Robiskie WR 6'3" 209 Ohio State

Pick Analysis:The most polished receiver in the draft falls to the Browns at No. 36. The former Buckeye is an exceptional route-runner with outstanding hands and ball skills. Though he isn't a classic deep threat, Robiskie is a big-play threat capable of being a productive No. 2 receiver in the Browns' offense.

Round 2, Pick 18 (50) (From Buccaneers) Mohamed Massaquoi WR 6'2" 210 Georgia

Pick Analysis:The Browns continue to fortify their receiving corps with the selection of Massaquoi. The former Bulldog is a big, physical receiver with the starting potential. Though he has a penchant for dropping passes, Massaquoi put together a solid senior season and is an intriguing possibility as a third or fourth receiver.

Round 2, Pick 20 (52) (From Jets) David Veikune DE 6'2" 257 Hawaii

Pick Analysis:The former Warrior will convert to OLB in the Browns' 3-4 scheme. As a high-motor edge rusher with exceptional first-step quickness, Veikune has the skills to pose a threat off the edge. With the team in need of a rusher opposite Kamerion Wimbley, the Browns are banking on Veikune to fill the need.

Round 4, Pick 4 (104) Kaluka Maiava ILB 5'11" 229 Southern Cal

Pick Analysis:When all of the NFL teams went to USC to look at the other USC LBs (Brian Cushing, Clay Matthews, Rey Maualuga), they all left thinking that Maiava deserved to be in the NFL as well. He can play on the weakside or strongside and will be on every special teams unit. He can come in after holding a clipboard and know the entire playbook. He was wanted by a lot of teams.

Round 6, Pick 4 (177) Don Carey CB 5'11" 192 Norfolk State

Pick Analysis:Carey was a four-year starter and has drawn a lot of attention in workouts. He's worked out in three or four difference places, and a number of teams came to watch him. He has a chance to develop into a starter, and this is about the spot in the draft where these types of players go. The Browns secondary was a weak point last year and Carey provides depth.

Round 6, Pick 18 (191) (From Buccaneers) Coye Francies CB 6'0" 185 San Jose State

Pick Analysis:Francies has good size for a corner and has been a starter in college. Many people thought he was better than his teammate Christopher Owens, who was drafted earlier (Round 3, 90th overall). Francies is tall with good speed and excellent ball skills.

Round 6, Pick 22 (195) (From Vikings through Eagles) James Davis RB 5'11" 218 Clemson

Pick Analysis:Davis was a hot prospect after his junior year but struggled somewhat in his senior campaign. Those setbacks were reflected in Clemson's performance as a whole, as the Tigers went through a disappointing season. Davis has speed and will provide the Browns with a speed option to go along with Jamal Lewis' brute force.

yeah haha pretty cool inspecta - I cant figure out what movie thats from - I just cant remember segal killing kids in any of his movies - but I fracking love it - made me chuckle :lol:

The kids being shot are from Postal and Segal was just edited in.

It's pretty much a given that Quinn is going to start on opening day. Even if they want to do this mickey mouse competition we all know that Quinn will wipe the floor with Anderson.

His signature is ABSOLUTELY hilarious. I intended to comment on it earlier but didn't. Steven Segal laying down the Lizzzaw. lol

People liked our draft?!?!

I hadn't heard anything like that on this board.... :rolleyes:

I wouldn't get carried away with trying to assess the talent of anyone's draft in late April. But overall Kokinis did what he needed to do - avoid doing what the fans wanted and taking a big name at #5 and go for quantity instead. They deserve credit for getting 4 out of the first 52 picks period. Only time will tell if they can play at a high level or not.

They didn't exactly get value on some of their trades - a 6th rounder who probably should have been a 3rd rounder - but everyone knew they were desparate to trade back - so I'm sure it was the best they could do.

Don't get too excited about 6th round picks. All you can say is that if you draft enough of them you'll probably find a player.

I wouldn't get carried away with trying to assess the talent of anyone's draft in late April. But overall Kokinis did what he needed to do - avoid doing what the fans wanted and taking a big name at #5 and go for quantity instead. They deserve credit for getting 4 out of the first 52 picks period. Only time will tell if they can play at a high level or not.

They didn't exactly get value on some of their trades - a 6th rounder who probably should have been a 3rd rounder - but everyone knew they were desparate to trade back - so I'm sure it was the best they could do.

Don't get too excited about 6th round picks. All you can say is that if you draft enough of them you'll probably find a player.

I'm more or less in your boat for now. I'm looking forward to see how the team utilizes their drafts with a bit of hesitation. We've had guys that looked like they should have been good, and drafts that appeared genius before they dissolved in the regular season when it mattered. I'm staying reasonably optimistic, just so it doesn't blow up in my face again. It took months to grow back my eyebrows after that whole Green fiasco...

Had a long conversation with my Chiefs fan friend who isn't really happy about their uneventful draft.

Donald Washington at the start of the 4th round. They bit on his combine numbers. A freakish 45 inch vertical and 11.3 broad jump.

I personally think he's really overrated. To the point I wasn't sad to see him declare as a junior.

Archived