THE BROWNS BOARD

Open dialogue about the law enforcement profession

marcus

I didn't mean to convey the impression that I've had numerous negative experiences with LE. As I stated earlier, the last 3 or 4 encounters

(for speeding, in which I was guilty each time) resulted in warnings. The officers were all professional and seemed to appreciate

the fact that I wasn't busting their balls.

Ok gotcha. Misunderstood there.

I was a passenger in the incident with the Maryland state trooper and he seemed to be going out of his way to be an overbearing dick.

I was also a passenger in an incident with a PA state trooper who was yelling insults at the driver, for no good reason.

One of my closest friends and frequent golfing buddy is a retired WV State Trooper. I fully appreciate the extremely difficult job

had by LE. I also stand by my earlier statement that there are people who have no business being allowed to wear a badge.

This is true. As a supervisor this can get frustrating because weeding out inept cops is not as easy as it sounds.

I also stand by my belief that good cops are doing themselves no favors when they defend/ignore bad behavior by bad cops.

I think by in large we empathize and try to do what's in our power to correct wrong doing. Sometimes our hands are tied by the higher ups. What people have a tendency to forget is this is a imperfect system run by imperfect people.

Well the body cams used just seem awfully primitive, like the officer has to turn it on manually after a stop. They should behave like a dashcam and just record on a loop

So you want footage of when we use the restroom or eat dinner? You want to footage of phone conversations with our wives/husbands? You want footage of us venting to another officer about a disturbing call. There's some things you're better off not hearing about or having access to. Our world can sometimes be a disturbing place. Enter having the ability to manually turn the camera on and off.

So you want footage of when we use the restroom or eat dinner? You want to footage of phone conversations with our wives/husbands? You want footage of us venting to another officer about a disturbing call. There's some things you're better off not hearing about or having access to. Our world can sometimes be a disturbing place. Enter having the ability to manually turn the camera on and off.

No I just don't want officers to "forget" to turn on the camera.

No I just don't want officers to "forget" to turn on the camera.

It's an imperfect system run by imperfect people. Ever had to jump out of a car and pull an enraged human being off of another human being. Ever see a robbery suspect come out of a business before the robbery is dispatched and have chase and arrest said suspect ? No? Try some these things and remember to turn on your camera. If you can do it with consistency I'll be right down front with you advocating for "continuous" body cams?

It's an imperfect system run by imperfect people. Ever had to jump out of a car and pull an enraged human being off of another human being. Ever see a robbery suspect come out of a business before the robbery is dispatched and have chase and arrest said suspect ? No? Try some these things and remember to turn on your camera. If you can do it with consistency I'll be right down front with you advocating for "continuous" body cams?

Yea I understand it I think body cams are better for both the officer and civilians though seems like a no brainier to me. There's a pretty thorough investigation anytime an officer has to use a deadly weapon regardless - bodycams clear it up right away.

Yea I understand it I think body cams are better for both the officer and civilians though seems like a no brainier to me. There's a pretty thorough investigation anytime an officer has to use a deadly weapon regardless - bodycams clear it up right away.

When we started using them I wasn't a fan. I seldom got complaints and didn't see it as necessary. However our last OIS (Officer Involved Shooting) was covered in vivid detail by several body cameras. The officers were cleared in no time it also changed my attitude towards body worn cameras. Two of our guys got hit that night but but they're both O.K. I think it's on YouTube. I know for a fact it was on Facebook.

Archived