THE BROWNS BOARD

Open dialogue about the law enforcement profession

marcus

I've heard a lot of different opinions about law enforcement since I've been involved with this part of the forum. Some good some bad it's about what you'd expect to see in a forum like this. I've also seen some disturbing rhetoric as well. The only thing I can do is hold an open discussion about law enforcement practices to maybe offer perspective that you may not get otherwise. As a supervisor and instructor it can be a fairly unique perspective.

A few things to put out there before we get started. I will often refer to my own experiences and department experiences since my whole career has been with one agency. If you ask serious and sincere questions you will get serious and sincere answers. If you can't control yourself enough to be respectful then respectfully, this isn't the thread for you.

Ladies and Gentlemen ask or comment your hearts' desire about all things law enforcement.

I've heard a lot of different opinions about law enforcement since I've been involved with this part of the forum. Some good some bad it's about what you'd expect to see in a forum like this. I've also seen some disturbing rhetoric as well. The only thing I can do is hold an open discussion about law enforcement practices to maybe offer perspective that you may not get otherwise. As a supervisor and instructor it can be a fairly unique perspective.

A few things to put out there before we get started. I will often refer to my own experiences and department experiences since my whole career has been with one agency. If you ask serious and sincere questions you will get serious and sincere answers. If you can't control yourself enough to be respectful then respectfully, this isn't the thread for you.

Ladies and Gentlemen ask or comment your hearts' desire about all things law enforcement.

I come from a small town Marcus and there's really been no problem at all with the police ...well until I went to jail over some fat dumbass that couldn't keep his pie hole shut. I did my time and when he sees me now I just SMILE.

generally, the police are the good guys, sure there are bad policemen. There's the same about clergy, teachers, you name it.

Never, ever had any problem with any police, ever. A few tickets in my life, one I didn't do anything wrong on the xpressway...

When I was kid, grade school, I was friends for a while with a kid up on the corner of the next street. I was over there one time - he was

showing me his train set.

All of a sudden his mom was yelling for him to send me home, his dad was coming home early. He got this terrified

look on his face, and said nobody was allowed to be in their house while he was gone, and said I had to run

out and be somewhere else. So, I did. I ran across the street and hid behind a tree.... His dad was a policeman in our town, and rumors was he was an alcoholic. He got fired I guess, came home drunk...and he beat his wife and kid. All I knew, was there was screaming like a horror movie in that house, and I ran home....He went to jail, and they moved away that next morning.

When I did my famous all night ride.. the highway patrol were great, they kept checking on me a lot,

brought me a few bottles of water and some candy bars, gave me a flashlight to tape onto

the back of my schwinn.

Police generally are heroes, they serve to protect, and if they have to be, they will be heroes when someone

needs them to be. But there are losers and bad people in any profession.

I got a speeding ticket from a female state trooper a while back. If you get pulled over by a female cop you might as well prepare your butthole because she's not giving you any breaks.

That's almost any State Trooper my friend. They're the worst to get stopped by because it's all but a guarantee you're getting cited.

generally, the police are the good guys, sure there are bad policemen. There's the same about clergy, teachers, you name it.

Never, ever had any problem with any police, ever. A few tickets in my life, one I didn't do anything wrong on the xpressway...

When I was kid, grade school, I was friends for a while with a kid up on the corner of the next street. I was over there one time - he was

showing me his train set.

All of a sudden his mom was yelling for him to send me home, his dad was coming home early. He got this terrified

look on his face, and said nobody was allowed to be in their house while he was gone, and said I had to run

out and be somewhere else. So, I did. I ran across the street and hid behind a tree.... His dad was a policeman in our town, and rumors was he was an alcoholic. He got fired I guess, came home drunk...and he beat his wife and kid. All I knew, was there was screaming like a horror movie in that house, and I ran home....He went to jail, and they moved away that next morning.

When I did my famous all night ride.. the highway patrol were great, they kept checking on me a lot,

brought me a few bottles of water and some candy bars, gave me a flashlight to tape onto

the back of my schwinn.

Police generally are heroes, they serve to protect, and if they have to be, they will be heroes when someone

needs them to be. But there are losers and bad people in any profession.

I had a similar experience with a friend. Only differences were, his dad wasn't a police officer and he didn't move away. Domestic violence can be a terrible thing to witness. I know you didn't see anything but the circumstances lined up enough for you know what happened.

My friend would courageously stand up to his dad and I would back him up when I was around. Most of the time he would back down (wasn't about that life) LOL. Today my friend is keeping his own kids away from his dad until he sobers up. He's also turned to be a heck of Dad and husband in his own right.

I use his story to motivate kids in like situations. Maybe it was motivation for me to become a police officer as well. Who knows?

My Grandfather and Uncle were both Cleveland police and both retired. I was an MAA and retired from the Navy so kind of a law enforcement background. Of course there will be good cops and bad cops. Some chose the profession because they want the power of the badge and weapon. Others generally want to help society and get rid of the bad guys. Unfortunately, even with the strict screening procedures some bad apples get through. Hopefully they will be found and fired before something bad happens.

That's almost any State Trooper my friend. They're the worst to get stopped by because it's all but a guarantee you're getting cited.

Edit:

I've never known the state troopers to be anything but polite and respectful. I did get a ticket from one decades ago pulling out of a club parking lot where I'd played and going over the center line. He gave me the ticket and seemed honestly concerned telling me that there's a hill and it's almost impossible to tell if there's oncoming traffic until it's too late. I sent in my check and dropped a note with it saying even though I don't like getting tickets The Troop seemed concerned for my safety. I actually got a letter back saying thank you.

WSS

False I got pulled over by a statie on route 20 near Norwalk, which, if you don't know is a country road where the speed limit fluctuates a lot but isn't posted very clearly. He was cool, let me know that the speed limit changed and let me off with a warning. Granted I had my five year old son with me who was just super impressed with him, but still.

Many cops are overall good. Everybody should agree that we should better train them to de-escalate situations and maybe not make ar-15s and semi-auto shotguns standard issue. Generally if you respond to an officer clearly and respectfully there's not going to be any issue.

Issues with many officers thinking they're above the law, they go out and do 20 over the speed limit because nobody's going to stop them - they have no problem making demands that they need to search your car for no reason.

And as far as state troopers go (especially in Ohio, also really bad in Virginia and other places), fuck those guys. Those guys are only out to make some cash for the state they aren't doing anything to make the world a safer place or to help people out.

I was in my old truck in Toledo a few years ago. Coming back from taking my cat to the vet a state trooper pulled me over right in front of my house. I was like ok maybe he saw the kitten on my dash and thought that was an obstruction or something. Nope, seat belt. I was so pissed at this guy - like are you fucking kidding me I'm right in front of my piece of shit house in my piece of shit truck and you're giving me a ticket for a seat belt. Fucker cost like $150 too, most ridiculous thing ever.

Also down in Coshocton this year when I was adopting my dog. Couple hours south of Cleveland or so bumfuck nowheresville. I'm driving on this country highway and the speed limit is 70. Then it drops to 55 just randomly once you cross this bridge. I didn't see it, I have a new dog in my back seat and I'm from 2 hours away. Of course a damn state trooper is hanging out right after the speed limit changes. I was polite and explained that I'm not from around here I just rescued a dog and didn't notice the speed limit drop. Doesn't matter to a state trooper, gave me a ticket that cost just over $200.

But yea fuck those guys, most normal city cops are good but they're trained as if they are marines and that probably needs to change. They all need to wear continuous recording bodycams and dashcams too

Over the last 5ish years, I've been pulled over 3 or 4 times, always for speeding, by the

WV State Police. Their first words are always "Do you know why I pulled you over?", and I

always answer "Yep, I was speeding." No sense in arguing or making a scene when I know

I'm in the wrong. Every single incident has resulted in a warning.

Our local sheriff's department consists mostly of fair, level-headed officers. There are 3 that

everyone knows are "bad" cops; e.g., they are basically bullies with badges who peaked in

high school. The "good" cops---both State Police and sheriff's dept.---know they are

bad and are generally disgusted by their behavior and the very fact that they are law enforcement.

Problem: the "Blue Wall of Silence". The behavior of the 3 bad cops is overlooked/indulged,

because as one state trooper told me "I may have to depend on one of them to back me up

someday". I understand that to a certain extent, but LE (the "good" ones) need to understand

that the majority of people see that and take it as proof that cops are only looking out for one

another, no matter if they're wrong or not, and that that is where the majority of ill will and

outright hostility/mistrust of police comes from.

Yes, it's only a couple of officers, but they make all of you look bad and there is a very real

perception that these bad officers are protected and their behavior overlooked simply because

they wear a badge and are part of The Brotherhood. That perception is not going to change

until the public sees these officers being punished, and if need be, drummed out of LE.

P.S. The typical response from HQ "We'll look into it and get back to you" isn't helping your cause.

Over the last 5ish years, I've been pulled over 3 or 4 times, always for speeding, by the

WV State Police. Their first words are always "Do you know why I pulled you over?", and I

always answer "Yep, I was speeding." No sense in arguing or making a scene when I know

I'm in the wrong. Every single incident has resulted in a warning.

"Do you know why I pulled you over" is a bait question, you're not supposed to answer it.

Warning isn't even in the vocabulary of ohio state troopers though.

"Do you know why I pulled you over" is a bait question, you're not supposed to answer it.

Veteran WV State Troopers are more apt to cut you some slack. Unless you start with the "Shouldn't you

be catching REAL criminals" nonsense. When I'm doing 75 in a 65, I pretty much know why I'm being pulled

over, so it seems silly to play coy. Again, the veteran troopers seem to appreciate the lack of bullshit on my

part. But yeah, the younger troopers----forget it.

Veteran WV State Troopers are more apt to cut you some slack. Unless you start with the "Shouldn't you

be catching REAL criminals" nonsense. When I'm doing 75 in a 65, I pretty much know why I'm being pulled

over, so it seems silly to play coy. Again, the veteran troopers seem to appreciate the lack of bullshit on my

part. But yeah, the younger troopers----forget it.

You can be polite and respectful but still shouldn't admit you're guilty on the spot. Just say "no sir" or "I'm not sure sir." I'm always polite, keep hands on the wheel, turn on an overhead light if it's dark outside, inform them of my ccw, etc.

In Ohio there's nothing you can do though. If a trooper pulls you over he's not giving you a warning - whether you forgot to turn your headlights on, aren't wearing a seatbelt, have stickers that are expired by 1 day, speeding, went through a yellow light a second too late, didn't stop for 3 seconds at a stop sign, your windows let 47% light through but the state law requires at least 50%, missing a front license plate.

I had a spotless record, no tickets or violations, no points on my license when I got the speeding ticket in Coshocton. No break and it was a totally bullshit speed limit change/speed trap too. I didn't slow down when passing the cop because the speed limit was 70 on that whole road except for like a 1 mile stretch.

Those fuckers don't give warnings here in Ohio no matter what. A lot of small town PD will let you loose if you're a resident or doing something relatively harmless - or they're looking for something more substantial like a DUI. Larger city PD like Cleveland, Toledo, or Columbus really just don't give a fuck about any traffic violations.

One time in Toledo I was pulled over in a bar parking lot after I pulled in at like 11pm. Totally sober, didn't have anything to drink.

This fucking young buck toledo PD officer parked behind my car with lights on, got out and asked why I ran the stop sign back there (there was no stop sign). Then he asked how much I had to drink - I said nothing.

He went on to say "come on you didn't have a little pre-game before you came here, everybody does." I said no sir.

Yadda yadda yadda and he made me do a field sobriety test in the bar parking lot, which in itself is just embarassing since everybody in the bar and on the bar patio is staring. I eventually just told the guy look faggot, do you have a breathalyzer in your trunk just let me do that. He said "no we'll call in a unit that has one if I think it's necessary"

After that whole ordeal he let me off with a warning for "running the stop sign." I got his badge # and car # and filed a police misconduct report but I'm sure absolutely nothing came of it.

Come to think of it I've had a lot of shitty experiences with police and I don't know why I defend them, fuck them.

You can be polite and respectful but still shouldn't admit you're guilty on the spot. Just say "no sir" or "I'm not sure sir." I'm always polite, keep hands on the wheel, turn on an overhead light if it's dark outside, inform them of my ccw, etc.

In Ohio there's nothing you can do though. If a trooper pulls you over he's not giving you a warning - whether you forgot to turn your headlights on, aren't wearing a seatbelt, have stickers that are expired by 1 day, speeding, went through a yellow light a second too late, didn't stop for 3 seconds at a stop sign, your windows let 47% light through but the state law requires at least 50%, missing a front license plate.

I had a spotless record, no tickets or violations, no points on my license when I got the speeding ticket in Coshocton. No break and it was a totally bullshit speed limit change/speed trap too. I didn't slow down when passing the cop because the speed limit was 70 on that whole road except for like a 1 mile stretch.

Those fuckers don't give warnings here in Ohio no matter what. A lot of small town PD will let you loose if you're a resident or doing something relatively harmless - or they're looking for something more substantial like a DUI. Larger city PD like Cleveland, Toledo, or Columbus really just don't give a fuck about any traffic violations.

Same with Maryland and PA state police.

Maryland SP has the most humorless motherfuckers you've ever seen in your life. I was riding with a buddy a few

years ago, towing his boat to Deep Creek Lake. He got pulled over because his side mirrors weren't large enough.

Not being a smart-ass, he made a small joke and the trooper got absolutely offended. "You think being pulled over

is a joke? You're being disrespectful..." and on and on. Tight-assed cocksucker.

We teach our officers to state the reason for the stop instead of asking the violator why we stopped them. Preceded by a proper introduction of course.

Same with Maryland and PA state police.

Maryland SP has the most humorless motherfuckers you've ever seen in your life. I was riding with a buddy a few

years ago, towing his boat to Deep Creek Lake. He got pulled over because his side mirrors weren't large enough.

Not being a smart-ass, he made a small joke and the trooper got absolutely offended. "You think being pulled over

is a joke? You're being disrespectful..." and on and on. Tight-assed cocksucker.

What I've taught my officers is to use the violation(s) as means to investigate other potential crimes. The only time hard citations are written is if we make an arrest off of the stop or we identify a suspect of a crime.

If we don't get anything else other than the violation(s) from the stop we release the driver on warning citations.

I'm sorry to hear you've had such negative experiences with police. I will encourage you to deal with us on a case by case basis much like you expect us to do with you.

Edit:

I've never known the state troopers to be anything but polite and respectful. I did get a ticket from one decades ago pulling out of a club parking lot where I'd played and going over the center line. He gave me the ticket and seemed honestly concerned telling me that there's a hill and it's almost impossible to tell if there's oncoming traffic until it's too late. I sent in my check and dropped a note with it saying even though I don't like getting tickets The Troop seemed concerned for my safety. I actually got a letter back saying thank you.

WSS

I now have a few friends that are Troopers both in Ohio and in Georgia. Their professionalism is hard to match. I think it has more to do with policy as it relates to citations.

I've worked with a good deal of them and while they're empathetic they're still all business and never forget that they have a job to do.

Many cops are overall good. Everybody should agree that we should better train them to de-escalate situations and maybe not make ar-15s and semi-auto shotguns standard issue. Generally if you respond to an officer clearly and respectfully there's not going to be any issue.

Issues with many officers thinking they're above the law, they go out and do 20 over the speed limit because nobody's going to stop them - they have no problem making demands that they need to search your car for no reason.

And as far as state troopers go (especially in Ohio, also really bad in Virginia and other places), fuck those guys. Those guys are only out to make some cash for the state they aren't doing anything to make the world a safer place or to help people out.

I was in my old truck in Toledo a few years ago. Coming back from taking my cat to the vet a state trooper pulled me over right in front of my house. I was like ok maybe he saw the kitten on my dash and thought that was an obstruction or something. Nope, seat belt. I was so pissed at this guy - like are you fucking kidding me I'm right in front of my piece of shit house in my piece of shit truck and you're giving me a ticket for a seat belt. Fucker cost like $150 too, most ridiculous thing ever.

Also down in Coshocton this year when I was adopting my dog. Couple hours south of Cleveland or so bumfuck nowheresville. I'm driving on this country highway and the speed limit is 70. Then it drops to 55 just randomly once you cross this bridge. I didn't see it, I have a new dog in my back seat and I'm from 2 hours away. Of course a damn state trooper is hanging out right after the speed limit changes. I was polite and explained that I'm not from around here I just rescued a dog and didn't notice the speed limit drop. Doesn't matter to a state trooper, gave me a ticket that cost just over $200.

But yea fuck those guys, most normal city cops are good but they're trained as if they are marines and that probably needs to change. They all need to wear continuous recording bodycams and dashcams too

Patrol rifles and shotguns have their uses in police work. Again I'm sorry the officer or trooper opted not to use discretion. I'm also not following the "continuous" recording body cams and dash cams? For what purpose? The uptrend in the use of body cams isn't enough?

ah, here's a story. Many years ago, we were driving in our pickup truck, delivering a picnic table back to our

friends' Mom's house, about 8 at night. Driving through N. Canton, not the friendliest police force... we got pulled over.

Went like this. Blue whirly lights for maybe 5 minutes...no police came up, so I got curious, got out of our truck. walked around to the back and raised my hands like "hey, what did I do wrong?"

Well, they threw open both doors, and were yelling something, but a truck with air brakes was roaring right next to us, and I

don't know what they are saying, but they both were echoing the words offset echoish, kinda stupid, and I pointed to the truck,

and was saying "I can't tell what you are saying..." ...

So, the truck gets by, and I realize the officers are honked off, hands on their guns, and telling me to get back into

my truck. So...I realize I need to get back in my truck, and sheepishly go back, and ...get back into our truck.

My Wife says "I told you to stay in the truck, you never get out of your vehicle when you get pulled over. You didn't

hear me for already getting out and that truck. Now the poor policemen probably think you're an idiot..."

I'm like "how the heck am I supposed to know how to be pulled over? I never have gotten pulled over since about ten

years ago>.."

a few minutes later, he came up, looking relieved, and asked me if I knew why they pulled me over. I said "Sir, I have

no idea, ...maybe... tailight?" He said no, could I step out of the car.

Now, they just told me to get my ass back into the truck, now they want me OUT of the truck. He says "you're fine, but I just

want to show you your license plate". I said, "oh, crap, did somebody steal it?" He says "not, your sticker is 6 months overdue

to be renewed. Did you know that?

"I said, Sir, honestly, my Wife went and got the license plates, I forgot the truck was in my name and I thought she did."

He said they were really worried at first, because I could be an anti-government type, so they have to be careful. But, he said

that my record was terrific, they knew who I was now, and I was okay by them. This, btw, years before I got my ccw....

So, they said if it was a couple of weeks, they would just give me a warning, but six months is well after their

deadline for warnings. He said he was really sorry, but they would have to tow our truck til we got the licenses, and pay

the fine and towing fee.

I said "well, seems like me doing something this stupid, you should probably throw me into the slammer." He and his

partner grinned, and shook their heads, and said "no, we checked you out, you're good. But the worse for you, we

have to give the ticket to your wife because she was driving...

So, they towed it, but stayed there 20 minutes for our safety til we were picked up by a friend.

And the funny look my Wife gave me, after they explained they had to giver HER the ticket was priceless.....

They were very polite after the first encounter, and I realized they deal with street thugs and who knows the difference

upfront... before the report comes back.

So, I was joking with them a bit while the one was wriiting the ticket...and I said "thanks for not shooting me for

being ignorant. are we okay? They said we were fine, they were afraid of getting shot by a violent thug, so they

were happy when the report on me came back....

Too bad Marcus didn't pull me over, he would have had a sense of humor about the whole thing.............LOL

ah, here's a story. Many years ago, we were driving in our pickup truck, delivering a picnic table back to our

friends' Mom's house, about 8 at night. Driving through N. Canton, not the friendliest police force... we got pulled over.

Went like this. Blue whirly lights for maybe 5 minutes...no police came up, so I got curious, got out of our truck. walked around to the back and raised my hands like "hey, what did I do wrong?"

Well, they threw open both doors, and were yelling something, but a truck with air brakes was roaring right next to us, and I

don't know what they are saying, but they both were echoing the words offset echoish, kinda stupid, and I pointed to the truck,

and was saying "I can't tell what you are saying..." ...

So, the truck gets by, and I realize the officers are honked off, hands on their guns, and telling me to get back into

my truck. So...I realize I need to get back in my truck, and sheepishly go back, and ...get back into our truck.

My Wife says "I told you to stay in the truck, you never get out of your vehicle when you get pulled over. You didn't

hear me for already getting out and that truck. Now the poor policemen probably think you're an idiot..."

I'm like "how the heck am I supposed to know how to be pulled over? I never have gotten pulled over since about ten

years ago>.."

a few minutes later, he came up, looking relieved, and asked me if I knew why they pulled me over. I said "Sir, I have

no idea, ...maybe... tailight?" He said no, could I step out of the car.

Now, they just told me to get my ass back into the truck, now they want me OUT of the truck. He says "you're fine, but I just

want to show you your license plate". I said, "oh, crap, did somebody steal it?" He says "not, your sticker is 6 months overdue

to be renewed. Did you know that?

"I said, Sir, honestly, my Wife went and got the license plates, I forgot the truck was in my name and I thought she did."

He said they were really worried at first, because I could be an anti-government type, so they have to be careful. But, he said

that my record was terrific, they knew who I was now, and I was okay by them. This, btw, years before I got my ccw....

So, they said if it was a couple of weeks, they would just give me a warning, but six months is well after their

deadline for warnings. He said he was really sorry, but they would have to tow our truck til we got the licenses, and pay

the fine and towing fee.

I said "well, seems like me doing something this stupid, you should probably throw me into the slammer." He and his

partner grinned, and shook their heads, and said "no, we checked you out, you're good. But the worse for you, we

have to give the ticket to your wife because she was driving...

So, they towed it, but stayed there 20 minutes for our safety til we were picked up by a friend.

And the funny look my Wife gave me, after they explained they had to giver HER the ticket was priceless.....

They were very polite after the first encounter, and I realized they deal with street thugs and who knows the difference

upfront... before the report comes back.

So, I was joking with them a bit while the one was wriiting the ticket...and I said "thanks for not shooting me for

being ignorant. are we okay? They said we were fine, they were afraid of getting shot by a violent thug, so they

were happy when the report on me came back....

Too bad Marcus didn't pull me over, he would have had a sense of humor about the whole thing.............LOL

I've had people hop out on me like that too. It only takes a second for some one to pull a gun and start shooting. The "pucker" factor is real when that happens. The towing thing probably is for liability purposes. Had they let you keep going and you all wrecked and killed someone or yourselves the other party's family or your own family could sue the department for not properly enforcing that law. Most of us hate having to do that to otherwise law abiding citizens. Cool story Cal.

Patrol rifles and shotguns have their uses in police work. Again I'm sorry the officer or trooper opted not to use discretion. I'm also not following the "continuous" recording body cams and dash cams? For what purpose? The uptrend in the use of body cams isn't enough?

Well the body cams used just seem awfully primitive, like the officer has to turn it on manually after a stop. They should behave like a dashcam and just record on a loop

What I've taught my officers is to use the violation(s) as means to investigate other potential crimes. The only time hard citations are written is if we make an arrest off of the stop or we identify a suspect of a crime.

If we don't get anything else other than the violation(s) from the stop we release the driver on warning citations.

I'm sorry to hear you've had such negative experiences with police. I will encourage you to deal with us on a case by case basis much like you expect us to do with you.

I didn't mean to convey the impression that I've had numerous negative experiences with LE. As I stated earlier, the last 3 or 4 encounters

(for speeding, in which I was guilty each time) resulted in warnings. The officers were all professional and seemed to appreciate

the fact that I wasn't busting their balls.

I was a passenger in the incident with the Maryland state trooper and he seemed to be going out of his way to be an overbearing dick.

I was also a passenger in an incident with a PA state trooper who was yelling insults at the driver, for no good reason.

One of my closest friends and frequent golfing buddy is a retired WV State Trooper. I fully appreciate the extremely difficult job

had by LE. I also stand by my earlier statement that there are people who have no business being allowed to wear a badge.

I also stand by my belief that good cops are doing themselves no favors when they defend/ignore bad behavior by bad cops.

Archived