THE BROWNS BOARD

those wanting garoppolo

beare

ESPN's Adam Schefter believes a first- and fourth-round pick would be the "starting point" in trade negotiations for Jimmy Garoppolo.

"I don’t even know if they would do it then," Schefter added. "My own sense on Garoppolo is that they are going to explore that market. That they are going to listen. They are going to see what is out there and if some team steps forward and makes it such that they have to trade him they will, but they are just not going to look to give him away. That is not going to happen." A first and fourth was what the Vikings traded the Eagles for Sam Bradford. The Browns have already been named as one team that will "go hard" after Garoppolo. They have two first-rounders in 2017. The 49ers and Bears could also come calling.
no way id give up a 1st for him

i'd rather get rid of rg3, develop a good team around kessler..he seems decent enough..he needs a friggin football team surrounding him. forget grapolo..

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're damn right I'm afraid- very afraid Z. I have past history to back me up. Yeah, all those other guys Bill unloaded flopped, but this time it's going to be different. Hate to get a dig in. but just like our past Front Offices? So answer me this, if Brady hadn't gotten suspended, and Jimmy had zero starts this year, what's his trade value? First round? LOL!!!! If you can't at least admit it's partly the system (Brady excluded) and not the talent- you're missing the boat.

Face some reality. Bill is trying to pump up this guy as a franchise level qb, after very limited gameday tape. Teams were hardly game planning for him in his couple starts. We've seen our own Derek Anderson get figured out after 10 games. I've seen what happened when the Texans gave Osweiler the keys to the bank after a couple starts.

I almost barfed when Johnny Football's name got called in the draft. If we trade for Garropolo, I just may well barf this time. BTW Z, since my Couch debacle, I'm batting 1.000 on quarterback picks.

I'm 1.000 as well.

Garappollo was a good prospect coming out, and has done nothing to dissuade that opinion.

This has nothing to do with Cassell or that other big stupid dick, or anybody else.

Either you like the prospect or you don't. I like him. If our brass feels the same, I hope they don't have a panic attack about trading with Bill like you are having. I doubt they will, since they pawned Mingo off on him and stole Collins.

Zombo

I'm 1.000 as well.

Garappollo was a good prospect coming out, and has done nothing to dissuade that opinion.

This has nothing to do with Cassell or that other big stupid dick, or anybody else.

Either you like the prospect or you don't. I like him. If our brass feels the same, I hope they don't have a panic attack about trading with Bill like you are having. I doubt they will, since they pawned Mingo off on him and stole Collins.

Zombo

Nope Z, it has everything to do with it. Those that don't remember the past are doomed to repeat it. You can probably count Bill's mistakes on the fingers of one hand.

Well, try this one on for size. If Jimmy really and truly is a "franchise qb", then why is Belichick (supposedly) shopping him? Danger!! Warning!!! Will Robinson!!! If that's the case, then why wouldn't Bill just anoint him as QBOTF, and shop the near geriatric Brady instead? Brady's playing another 5 years? Fat chance of that happening. Want to start guessing how many teams who think they're a qb away from the SB would be ringing the Patriot's phone off the hook for the opportunity to sell the Farm for a shot or two at the Brass Ring with Tom Terrific? We know Bill would trade his mother if he thought it would help the team. There is historical precedent too. The 49ers traded surefire HOFer Joe Montana with Steve Young waiting in the wings. This may well be a bunch of Scheffter hot air aided by Bill shill Lombardi. At least I sure hope it is.

The Pats win the SB this year, Tom might just decide to hang 'em up and go out on top like Manning and Elway. That would radically change the trade talk. He'd have nothing left to prove unless he wants to go after Manning & Favre's records to conclusively prove he's the GOAT- he's already in the conversation.

We've got the Mahomos, Mitch's Bitches- now we have Garropolo's Goobers. :)

I think I wrote a similar post a while back, and people thought a first round draft pick was crazy.

And I said that I don't know why everyone anoints the Patriots backup QB as the next Tom Brady.

He was the 62nd player drafted.

What's Ryan Mallet doing these days? It was the same story with him. People were saying that we would trade for him.

Nope Z, it has everything to do with it. Those that don't remember the past are doomed to repeat it. You can probably count Bill's mistakes on the fingers of one hand.

Well, try this one on for size. If Jimmy really and truly is a "franchise qb", then why is Belichick (supposedly) shopping him? Danger!! Warning!!! Will Robinson!!! If that's the case, then why wouldn't Bill just anoint him as QBOTF, and shop the near geriatric Brady instead? Brady's playing another 5 years? Fat chance of that happening. Want to start guessing about how many teams who think they're a qb away from the SB would be ringing the Patriot's phone off the hook for the opportunity to sell the Farm for a shot or two at the Brass Ring with Tom Terrific? We know Bill would trade his mother if he thought it would help the team. There is historical precedent too. The 49ers traded surefire HOFer Joe Montana with Steve Young waiting in the wings. This may well be a bunch of Scheffter hot air aided by Bill shill Lombardi. At least I sure hope it is.

The Pats win the SB this year, Tom might just decide to hang 'em up and go out on top like Manning and Elway. That would radically change the trade talk. He'd have nothing left to prove unless he wants to go after Manning & Favre's records to conclusively prove he's the GOAT- he's already in the conversation.

We've got the Mahomos, Mitch's Bitches- now we have Garropolo's Goobers. :)

Shop Brady? Really?

I've already explained this. He invested a second on JG, now his contract is due next year and he is grooming another young QB.

Brady is certainly good for another couple of years.

Are you going to let JG walk for no compensation after next year? No.

Are you going to pay him the money he'll be able to get while having to pay Brady 20 mil a year too? No.

You're going to trade him for the most you can possibly get.

For a second round pick that has performed well when called upon, you should damn well be asking a first.

Cleveland can afford that IF they think JG is a solid project and IF they like his value comparative to first round QBs coming out this year.

Being scared of Belichick is not a factor. That's a defeatist way of thinking for losing franchises. We've got a new sheriff in town now, we're obviously not afraid to trade with Bill or anybody else.

Zombo

And I said that I don't know why everyone anoints the Patriots backup QB as the next Tom Brady.

What's Ryan Mallet doing these days? It was the same story with him. People were saying that we would trade for him.

Ryan Mallet blows. Those people were idiots. I never wanted Mallet, Cassel or any other Brady backup.

I liked Jimmy G coming out, and I still like him.

I don't give a shit who he has been playing for or who his coach is ... if you like a guy, go get him.

I can't tell you if our brass, including Hue, like him or not.

Just saying I do. And if you're not going to go for him just because it's Belichick, you're defeating yourself.

Zombo

How did that backup role to brady work out for Hoyer?

Shop Brady? Really?

I've already explained this. He invested a second on JG, now his contract is due next year and he is grooming another young QB.

Brady is certainly good for another couple of years.

Are you going to let JG walk for no compensation after next year? No.

Are you going to pay him the money he'll be able to get while having to pay Brady 20 mil a year too? No.

You're going to trade him for the most you can possibly get.

For a second round pick that has performed well when called upon, you should damn well be asking a first.

Cleveland can afford that IF they think JG is a solid project and IF they like his value comparative to first round QBs coming out this year.

Being scared of Belichick is not a factor. That's a defeatist way of thinking for losing franchises. We've got a new sheriff in town now, we're obviously not afraid to trade with Bill or anybody else.

Zombo

Just sayin' Z- if the 49ers traded Montana- how can you say the Patriots wouldn't entertain offers for Brady? Of course, that's an unlikely scenario. It's way early in the draft evaluation game anyway to be rating Garropolo over any potential prospect we might have with the Eagle's pick. I'd make the Patriots sweat until we're on the clock. It's been pointed out on the other board Jimmy is a dink and dunker without a rifle arm. If you've watched Hue's love for RG IIIs cannon and vertical passing game Garropolo might be a poor fit. Here's his pre-draft negatives and rating....

Weaknesses

Is a tad undersized with small hands and short arms. Uses a three-quarters delivery that could lead to batted balls. Works heavily out of the shotgun in a spread offense, and footwork could require adjustment to working from under center. Does not always feel pressure in the pocket. Does not rip the deep out or drive the ball with high RPMs. Undershoots and often hangs the deep ball. Makes receivers work for the ball downfield, and deep accuracy could stand to improve. Makes a lot of simple, one-look reads and was not heavily challenged by consistent pressure or complex looks in the Ohio Valley Conference.

Draft projection

Round 2

Bottom Line

A decorated FCS passer, Garoppolo could excite quarterback coaches with his quick delivery, mental make-up and work habits, yet he still needs to prove he can fit the ball into tight windows and do more than carve up soft shells the way he regularly did on his way to a record-breaking performance in college. Possesses the physical tools to eventually earn an NFL starting job in a rhythm passing game with continued refinement but is more of a caretaker than a game changer and will require some patience adapting to the NFL game.

I thought we already had a caretaker game manager on our roster by the name of Cody Kessler. Sorry, for a first round pick I want someone who's a tad better than "good enough to eventually earn a starting job in the NFL".

Ryan Mallet blows. Those people were idiots. I never wanted Mallet, Cassel or any other Brady backup.

I liked Jimmy G coming out, and I still like him.

I don't give a shit who he has been playing for or who his coach is ... if you like a guy, go get him.

I can't tell you if our brass, including Hue, like him or not.

Just saying I do. And if you're not going to go for him just because it's Belichick, you're defeating yourself.

Zombo

But now you're slobbering all over Jimmy? If you like him that's fine. Obviously, I don't at the price of one of our first round picks. Maybe with our Titans pick in the second, definitely with anything lower. If you want to stick your head in the sand 9 out of 10 quarterbacks Bill has traded or released haven't done doo-doo with other teams, and take that into serious consideration- just wow.

Just sayin' Z- if the 49ers traded Montana- how can you say the Patriots wouldn't entertain offers for Brady? Of course, that's an unlikely scenario. It's way early in the draft evaluation game anyway to be rating Garropolo over any potential prospect we might have with the Eagle's pick. I'd make the Patriots sweat until we're on the clock. It's been pointed out on the other board Jimmy is a dink and dunker without a rifle arm. If you've watched Hue's love for RG IIIs cannon and vertical passing game Garropolo might be a poor fit. Here's his pre-draft negatives and rating....

Weaknesses

Is a tad undersized with small hands and short arms. Uses a three-quarters delivery that could lead to batted balls. Works heavily out of the shotgun in a spread offense, and footwork could require adjustment to working from under center. Does not always feel pressure in the pocket. Does not rip the deep out or drive the ball with high RPMs. Undershoots and often hangs the deep ball. Makes receivers work for the ball downfield, and deep accuracy could stand to improve. Makes a lot of simple, one-look reads and was not heavily challenged by consistent pressure or complex looks in the Ohio Valley Conference.

Draft projection

Round 2

Bottom Line

A decorated FCS passer, Garoppolo could excite quarterback coaches with his quick delivery, mental make-up and work habits, yet he still needs to prove he can fit the ball into tight windows and do more than carve up soft shells the way he regularly did on his way to a record-breaking performance in college. Possesses the physical tools to eventually earn an NFL starting job in a rhythm passing game with continued refinement but is more of a caretaker than a game changer and will require some patience adapting to the NFL game.

I thought we already had a caretaker game manager on our roster by the name of Cody Kessler. Sorry, for a first round pick I want someone who's a tad better than "good enough to eventually earn a starting job in the NFL".

But now you're slobbering all over Jimmy? If you like him that's fine. Obviously, I don't at the price of one of our first round picks. Maybe with our Titans pick in the second, definitely with anything lower. If you want to stick your head in the sand 9 out of 10 quarterbacks Bill has traded or released haven't done doo-doo with other teams, and take that into serious consideration- just wow.

Garappolo is very similar to Dalton who excelled under Hue.

Not sure if we can call Kessler a game manager yet. Needs to manage a win first.

He certainly seems to operate slowly, as opposed to the lights out performances of JG in his two starts.

Yes I recognize the talent difference around them. Kessler needs to improve his pocket presence and deep balls big time.

Z

Garappolo is very similar to Dalton who excelled under Hue.

Not sure if we can call Kessler a game manager yet. Needs to manage a win first.

He certainly seems to operate slowly, as opposed to the lights out performances of JG in his two starts.

Yes I recognize the talent difference around them. Kessler needs to improve his pocket presence and deep balls big time.

Z

We'll just have to agree to disagree here Z. Can we put this to bed for another month or two? :)

& if you didn't know (doubtful) Doolin' Dalton was a second round pick like Jimmy- AND has been a monumental playoff bust? I'm 1,000% convinced Bill is trying to pull off a heist on an unsuspecting team that's willing to ignore his past robberies.

Yeah, I sure hope our cold-blooded analytics crew will look at this from a value perspective- and take the long view if one of the other qbs in the upcoming draft is a better prospect than giving up a high pick for Jimmy. LOL,we're building through the draft don't ya know? We don't even know yet if my fave Mitch is even going to declare for the draft. And hell yes, right now I'd take Trubisky or Deshawn Watson (but not Kizer) over Jimmy. I'll report in more detail after their respective Bowl games- I reserve the right to change my mind. (((())))

Hey Hoorta, Mitch has graduated but still has a year of eligibility left. He said he will announce his decision after his bowl game on Friday. I believe his stock is at its highest and he will declare.

I think Jimmy is a better prospect than those guys.

Bill drafts him in the second and gets a first and fourth ... good for him, I don't care about Bill's role in all this.

I want a good quarterback. Jimmy G has all the tools and has looked sharp on an NFL field when he has played.

Zombo

I agree with Zombo. What is JG?...,25 years old with 3 years in an NFL playbook, about 100 passes & over 65% completion rate with 5 TDs & no interceptions? While that is limited, it is a hell of a lot more than the QBs in this years draft, all of whom the experts say are 2nd rounders at best in terms of value. He has played successfully in weather as bad as in Cleveland, has a lightning quick release & understands the pro system. Yes, he may be prone to occasionally fumble, but IF our FO is determined to take a QB in the 1st round, would you rather spend it on Jimmy or a total question mark with potential who has yet to play in or understand a pro system? IMHO, if they're bound to spend a 1st rounder for a QB, Jimmy is the way to go. If they want to wait until the 2nd round or later for a QB (reasonable for the QBs in this draft), that's fine & I take Allen with my 1st pick.

Bottom line is that the Browns will make the choice as they see fit & I will support those picks.

Mike

Hey Hoorta, Mitch has graduated but still has a year of eligibility left. He said he will announce his decision after his bowl game on Friday. I believe his stock is at its highest and he will declare.

I'm fully on the Trubisy train as of now, and bring along Switzer with him.

I agree with Zombo. What is JG?...,25 years old with 3 years in an NFL playbook, about 100 passes & over 65% completion rate with 5 TDs & no interceptions? While that is limited, it is a hell of a lot more than the QBs in this years draft, all of whom the experts say are 2nd rounders at best in terms of value. He has played successfully in weather as bad as in Cleveland, has a lightning quick release & understands the pro system. Yes, he may be prone to occasionally fumble, but IF our FO is determined to take a QB in the 1st round, would you rather spend it on Jimmy or a total question mark with potential who has yet to play in or understand a pro system? IMHO, if they're bound to spend a 1st rounder for a QB, Jimmy is the way to go. If they want to wait until the 2nd round or later for a QB (reasonable for the QBs in this draft), that's fine & I take Allen with my 1st pick.

Bottom line is that the Browns will make the choice as they see fit & I will support those picks.

Mike

Well, so will I Mike regarding what they do- like we have a choice? As I just mentioned to Z, it's way, way early, and things could change fast. Here's a What if? For ya- Brady gets KOed in the playoffs- sort of drastically changes the picture, no? Ditto that for one of the prospects, or Hue works out Mahomes and feels that earthquake again. :)

Well, so will I Mike regarding what they do- like we have a choice? As I just mentioned to Z, it's way, way early, and things could change fast. Here's a What if? For ya- Brady gets KOed in the playoffs- sort of drastically changes the picture, no? Ditto that for one of the prospects, or Hue works out Mahomes and feels that earthquake again. :)

Larry,

I agree (but don't forget Jacoby Brissett) which makes all this draft banter we all have gotten into sort of useless & absolutely premature. Good point.

Mike

We'll just have to agree to disagree here Z. Can we put this to bed for another month or two? :)

& if you didn't know (doubtful) Doolin' Dalton was a second round pick like Jimmy- AND has been a monumental playoff bust? I'm 1,000% convinced Bill is trying to pull off a heist on an unsuspecting team that's willing to ignore his past robberies.

Yeah, I sure hope our cold-blooded analytics crew will look at this from a value perspective- and take the long view if one of the other qbs in the upcoming draft is a better prospect than giving up a high pick for Jimmy. LOL,we're building through the draft don't ya know? We don't even know yet if my fave Mitch is even going to declare for the draft. And hell yes, right now I'd take Trubisky or Deshawn Watson (but not Kizer) over Jimmy. I'll report in more detail after their respective Bowl games- I reserve the right to change my mind. (((())))

You wouldn't like to have a Dalton starting at qb? He's pretty consistent, man. Made Playoffs, first six years of career?

Rather just bum around with what we have been starting?

You are making zero sense.

Z

Just for the record we were talking for a 1st AND a 4th. Somehow that second player keeps getting left out of the discussion.

That's because it doesn't matter.

If you like him for a first, you like him for a first and fourth.

Z

You wouldn't like to have a Dalton starting at qb? He's pretty consistent, man. Made Playoffs, first six years of career?

Rather just bum around with what we have been starting?

You are making zero sense.

Z

Hah!! You're suffering from low expectation syndrome. One of our guys makes the Pro Bowl (JT) he's a saint. Some guy makes multiple post seasons, he's more than that. Sure, if we had a qb who made the post season 6 years running, we'd declare him able to part Lake Erie and lead the wretched masses of Browns fans to the Promised Land- eventually. Win a Championship (LeBron)? Put a 70' poster on Tower City and erect the statue. (Worshiping Optional)

Hah!! You're suffering from low expectation syndrome. One of our guys makes the Pro Bowl (JT) he's a saint. Some guy makes multiple post seasons, he's more than that. Sure, if we had a qb who made the post season 6 years running, we'd declare him able to part Lake Erie and lead the wretched masses of Browns fans to the Promised Land- eventually. Win a Championship (LeBron)? Put a 70' poster on Tower City and erect the statue. (Worshiping Optional)

No, I am serious. You don't think it's worth a first rounder to get an Andy Dalton or Alex Smith you can pencil in there every week?

There are o only so many Mannings and Brady's ... Unless you think there is one in this draft ... Give me a solid QB that gives me a chance to win every year.

Z

Right, it didn't work out for Mallet, and it didn't really work out with Cassell either. But here's the thing I keep trying to explain...teams NEED QB'S. There really aren't "sure things" when it comes to NFL QB's, and about half of the NFL teams need a new QB. Demand vastly exceeds supply, so risks must be taken. Teams can't just say, "Oh well, I don't see anybody who is a home run, so I guess we'll just wait until one shows up." NFL coaches don't generally get 3 or 4 years guaranteed, so they HAVE to take risks for the most important position in professional sports. I'm not saying Garoppolo is the answer, but I am saying there will be a shitload of interest for him, and there will probably be a desperate team that offers an eye-popping deal for him.

Here's a link to someone who thinks it might be worth a shot.

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2016/12/28/14101346/should-the-browns-give-up-a-1st-and-4th-round-pick-for-jimmy-garoppolo

Id take him.....amazing to me how many people are snobbish on QB's, when we havent had a good one for 30 years....

Turn every stone.....and, based upon what I can see, JG is as good as we've sniffed in a long time....

Mallett, Hoyer, Cassel, Bullychick, etc have zero to do with anything, so I dont see why they keep coming up as some type of valid reason not to take JG.....

Because Mallett wasnt good, we need to assume every other NE QB will be the same?......foolish thought process...

Not in Camp Jimmie here and it has nothing to do with Mallet or Cassell. Mallet is just a 3rd-round, head case and Cassell was a 7th-round hope and a prayer. Even if the "Pats' system" artificially inflated their value, that does not necessarily mean JG will bust with another team.

So, if we must...

All 1st round picks are not created equal. I can't go Jimmy G with a top twelve-ish pick, but then do we have to? Trading down the Philly pick and then trading away the #20 or so for him would be more palatable. Even the Pats R1 (~#30 overall) would ease the pain some.

Then ask yourself.. Why would Bill trade him if he's so great?.. Brady can't sling it forever.

Simply because there's enough Brady left to sift through a couple o' three more drafts for his ultimate replacement .

So, if we must...

All 1st round picks are not created equal. I can't go Jimmy G with a top twelve-ish pick, but then do we have to? Trading down the Philly pick and then trading away the #20 or so for him would be more palatable. Even the Pats R1 (~#30 overall) would ease the pain some.

Send that suggestion to the FO. I like it especially if we go down to about, oh maybe #22 or so? :D

Id take him.....amazing to me how many people are snobbish on QB's, when we havent had a good one for 30 years....

Turn every stone.....and, based upon what I can see, JG is as good as we've sniffed in a long time....

Mallett, Hoyer, Cassel, Bullychick, etc have zero to do with anything, so I dont see why they keep coming up as some type of valid reason not to take JG.....

Because Mallett wasnt good, we need to assume every other NE QB will be the same?......foolish thought process...

Egg. Xactly.

Z

I don't think that learning from the past is a foolish thought process.

Yes, each player has to be evaluated separately and not JUST because of others in their position before them....but it just seems that every other freakin year the talking heads want to anoint the current Patriots backup QB as the next great thing.

JG was a VERY late 2nd round pick....has done very little...and talking heads are now putting a 1st round PLUS grade on him.

...and I DO agree that until you have a real franchise type starting QB you should always be looking at ways to get one. As I like to say, you've gotta keep swinging the bat until you hit one out when it comes to the QB. But ya can't be swinging at 'high & outside'.

I never liked Mallet or Hoyer (you here don't know that cos I wasn't at this forum then). Hoyer did better than I expected. JG, I don't have a good feel for. Haven't seen enough of him. I would proceed with caution.

Archived