THE BROWNS BOARD

those wanting garoppolo

beare

ESPN's Adam Schefter believes a first- and fourth-round pick would be the "starting point" in trade negotiations for Jimmy Garoppolo.

"I don’t even know if they would do it then," Schefter added. "My own sense on Garoppolo is that they are going to explore that market. That they are going to listen. They are going to see what is out there and if some team steps forward and makes it such that they have to trade him they will, but they are just not going to look to give him away. That is not going to happen." A first and fourth was what the Vikings traded the Eagles for Sam Bradford. The Browns have already been named as one team that will "go hard" after Garoppolo. They have two first-rounders in 2017. The 49ers and Bears could also come calling.

no way id give up a 1st for him

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Belicheck doesn't want him then red flags sirens and bullhorns are blaring, DO NOT TOUCH YOUV'E BEEN WARNED

ESPN's Adam Schefter believes a first- and fourth-round pick would be the "starting point" in trade negotiations for Jimmy Garoppolo.

"I don’t even know if they would do it then," Schefter added. "My own sense on Garoppolo is that they are going to explore that market. That they are going to listen. They are going to see what is out there and if some team steps forward and makes it such that they have to trade him they will, but they are just not going to look to give him away. That is not going to happen." A first and fourth was what the Vikings traded the Eagles for Sam Bradford. The Browns have already been named as one team that will "go hard" after Garoppolo. They have two first-rounders in 2017. The 49ers and Bears could also come calling.
no way id give up a 1st for him

If the Browns FO did that I would insist they be a part of the trade. So dumb!

I think I wrote a similar post a while back, and people thought a first round draft pick was crazy. Listen, that's the price, and somebody will gamble on it. Why? Because they have to. How many years do NFL coaches get? They don't have the luxury of "figuring it out later", and too many teams need to fix their QB problem, and they have to fix it immediately. Smart teams, like the Raiders, Bengals, and Seahawks, can find their QB outside of the first round. Yes, I wanted Derek Carr, as did many others, but look around the league, and see where the majority of QB's were taken. Luck, Winston, Mariota, Palmer, Rodgers, Bradford, Stafford, Roethlisburger, Flacco, Wentz, Goff, Ryan, Newton, Cutler, and Bortles were all first rounders...and I could be missing a few. Oh yeah, Alex Smith...and probably a few others. We can sit here and talk about those names, and say "who is a franchise QB, and who isn't", but the point is, those guys were drafted in the first round, and they were starters in the NFL. If you want a starting QB, or even a POTENTIAL starting QB, you're going to have to give up a high draft pick. Period.

Now, would I give up either of OUR first round picks? Obviously our first one is completely off limits, but what about the second one? What if the Eagles win this weekend and the pick ends up being like #17? (I don't know where the pick could end up, just hypothetical). Would I give up that pick? No...no I wouldn't. That's just too high for an unknown, and we have SO many other needs. Make no mistake about it, we are at the forefront of QB pressure. Not only do we have the worst record in the league, we actually passed on a potential franchise QB last year. A guy who is big, tough, and has the look of being a guy who can lead a team. Was he good this year? No, not really, but he's a rookie, and I think he made enough plays to keep fans and management excited about his possible growth. What do we have? A wide receiver with about 300 yards. Awesome. Now, it wasn't ALL Coleman's fault, as he played with some pretty crappy QB's and he broke his hand, but still. It's great to have that first round pick this year, but we obviously have to nail it, and it's not looking good for QB candidates as of right now.

What about a second round pick? We have two of them, does that change things? I think it would take a bit more than just that pick obviously, but it would start with the second rounder. I'd be willing to THINK about that.

If the Browns FO did that I would insist they be a part of the trade. So dumb!

At least Bradford had significant time as a starter. Garropolo? Like 2? As has been said, if Bill deems him expendable, let some other team get suckered in. His castoffs have as a general rule been garbage.

How's Oswieler working out? Another guy with a limited resume.

At least Bradford had significant time as a starter. Garropolo? Like 2? As has been said, if Bill deems him expendable, let some other team get suckered in. His castoffs have as a general rule been garbage.

How's Oswieler working out? Another guy with a limited resume.

Yep. A late second rounder who has done shit for an early 1st and a 4th. So Brownsian. They need to read The Iliad. Trying to ship us a Trojan Horse.

Patriots want a 1st and a 4th. I dont think its worth it honestly. What do you think hes worth?

Nothing. Zombo has lost his mind. I'll take Trubisky, Kaiser, or Watson with the Eagles pick before I give Bill the time of day.

Nothing. Zombo has lost his mind. I'll take Trubisky, Kaiser, or Watson with the Eagles pick before I give Bill the time of day.

I think Jimmy is a better prospect than those guys.

Bill drafts him in the second and gets a first and fourth ... good for him, I don't care about Bill's role in all this.

I want a good quarterback. Jimmy G has all the tools and has looked sharp on an NFL field when he has played.

Zombo

Bill drafts him in the second and gets a first and fourth ... good for him, I don't care about Bill's role in all this.

I want a good quarterback. Jimmy G has all the tools and has looked sharp on an NFL field when he has played.

Zombo

and how often doe's trading for a back up qb work out ? not that much,,,,we have to many holes to fill to give away picks for nothing

and how often doe's trading for a back up qb work out ? not that much,,,,we have to many holes to fill to give away picks for nothing

It's not for nothing ... it's for a starting Quarterback.

I guess you think what we have is better, or you like the first round candidates much better.

Fine. Just say so.

But quit being a dumbfuck and learn punctuation.

Zombo

Zombo

Then ask yourself.. Why would Bill trade him if he's so great?.. Brady can't sling it forever.

Zombo

So what Z. For TWO freaking games, and then got hurt. How about that Jacoby Brissett? He looked pretty good too. See where I'm going with this? Matt Cassell at least played most of a season before Bill fleeced the Chiefs. You think Garropolo is going to be as good as that other Eastern Illinois product Tony Romo? The Browns brass would have to have him rated at least that high to pull the trigger on a trade like you're suggesting. The only qb Bill has let go or traded away & played decently afterwards was Drew Bledsoe, and he had YEARS of playing at a high level.

MHO- Bill is attempting to commit Highway Robbery- again. If you haven't learned yet that Belichick almost never makes mistakes in the trade market- you haven't been paying attention to recent moves he's made. I hope Collins is the exception, but that was a $$ move by the Patriots, couldn't afford to keep him with his contract up. I just can't see Garropolo garnering franchise qb money in two years when his rookie contract expires. As I've said elsewhere if Bill really thought Jimmy was his QBOTF, he'd keep him, and trade Brady to the highest bidder- which would command a hell of a lot more than he could ever dream about getting for Garropolo.

Then ask yourself.. Why would Bill trade him if he's so great?.. Brady can't sling it forever.

Because:

A. Bill's Gamble already paid off. He took him in the second round, Brady is still healthy and kicking ass, now he WILL get a first rounder for him

B. Jimmy G's contract is up after next year.

C. He already has another young QB on the roster that he took in the third round last year

Props to Bill. He's doing it right. That doesn't mean you don't trade with him ... that's a defeatist attitude.

He is getting a first rounder period.

So you have to ask yourself: Do I want to be the team that pays it? That team ideally would be young with no answer at QB and lot of draft pick stock ... Do we know anybody like that?

So his cost is a first rounder. You've got three years of NFL tape on him in regular and preseason games, plus all the scouting that was done beforehand. Do you like him better than the guys you can get at #9 in this year's draft?

If Yes: Trade

If No: Don't Trade.

Either way, take Bill out of the equation ... he's already won on his part.

Zombo

Because:

Props to Bill. He's doing it right. That doesn't mean you don't trade with him ... that's a defeatist attitude.

He is getting a first rounder period.

So you have to ask yourself: Do I want to be the team that pays it? That team ideally would be young with no answer at QB and lot of draft pick stock ... Do we know anybody like that?

So his cost is a first rounder. You've got three years of NFL tape on him in regular and preseason games, plus all the scouting that was done beforehand. Do you like him better than the guys you can get at #9 in this year's draft?

If Yes: Trade

If No: Don't Trade.

Zombo

Nope, it's a ignoramus sucker attitude. Cassell, Mallett- want me to go on?

No and hell no we don't trade. I'd rather take two defensive players in the first round than give up a first for Jimmy.

First rounder? According to Scheffter? I'll believe it when I see it, and I hope to hell it's not us paying that price.

So what Z. For TWO freaking games, and then got hurt. How about that Jacoby Brissett? He looked pretty good too. See where I'm going with this?

No, I don't. I feel like you have watched neither play.

Garrapollo has looked like he can start in the NFL right now, while Brissett has looked like a project.

Garrapollo is 69-93 67.7% 5 TDs 0 INts Rating of 107.4

His preseason ratings, mostly against starters (Brady rarely plays exhibitions): 2014 ... 99.0, 2015 ... 92.4, 2016 ... 95.1

He has started two regular season games, he won both, played very well in both.

If you are taking the "Bill is a genius" angle ... Well, Bill is the one that drafted him in the second round. So wouldn't he logically be worth a first rounder after three years of seasoning and playing well when called upon, or did Bill miss on this one?

I don't think Bill missed on this one. I think Garapollo is an NFL starter in the making.

You gotta give Bill a first rounder to get him. So what. Why are you so intimidated by Bill? That is defeatist attitude. These are the new Browns. Ray Farmer maybe I wouldn't trust in a trade with Bellichick or anyone else for that matter, but these guys we have now understand value, and they've already unloaded fricking Mingo on Bill for 5th. Mingo has 11 tackles, no sacks, no nothing else. And Jamie Collins looks pretty fucking good.

If you like what you see, go get him, don't sit back shivering in the presence of the almighty Belichick.

Zombo

Nope, it's a ignoramus sucker attitude. Cassell, Mallett- want me to go on?

No and hell no we don't trade. I'd rather take two defensive players in the first round than give up a first for Jimmy.

First rounder? According to Scheffter? I'll believe it when I see it, and I hope to hell it's not us paying that price.

You're just scared of Belichick. Glad you're not our GM. He is apparently not. So Garappollo is on the table.

Zombo

You're just scared of Belichick. Glad you're not our GM. He is apparently not. So Garappollo is on the table.

Zombo

You're damn right I'm afraid- very afraid Z. I have past history to back me up. Yeah, all those other guys Bill unloaded flopped, but this time it's going to be different. Hate to get a dig in. but just like our past Front Offices? So answer me this, if Brady hadn't gotten suspended, and Jimmy had zero starts this year, what's his trade value? First round? LOL!!!! If you can't at least admit it's partly the system (Brady excluded) and not the talent- you're missing the boat.

Face some reality. Bill is trying to pump up this guy as a franchise level qb, after very limited gameday tape. Teams were hardly game planning for him in his couple starts. We've seen our own Derek Anderson get figured out after 10 games. I've seen what happened when the Texans gave Osweiler the keys to the bank after a couple starts.

I almost barfed when Johnny Football's name got called in the draft. If we trade for Garropolo, I just may well barf this time. BTW Z, since my Couch debacle, I'm batting 1.000 on quarterback picks.

I admit that I'm scared. I'd only do it if it's the Philly pick and next year's #4. Let some other team who's "close" pull the trigger.

The Browns have a "plan," and this plan certainly can and should be adjusted, but now isn't the time. They need to evaluate the top 65 guys on their board, because they have 5 of the 1st 65 picks presently. That could (should) be enough to improve the team in a hurry.

I don't blame Bill one bit for the trade comparison with Bradford. Minnesota felt it was worth the gamble, because with their D, and a "game manager" in Bradford, they could win. At 5-0, it looked like a great move for a veteran-type team. Today, it's easy to say it wasn't smart.

Than their was 2 ;)..My Jimmy G train started when Tyrod Taylor paved his way that no upcoming FA QB is coming to Camp with a 800k contract. Same as Jimmy G. Bill, Brady & Jimmy G will have that talk after SB run. Try about February? meaning not a lot of time before a April draft. Not a big fan of new FO yet. But am a firm believer HueJax is the right HC to turn this around..but with a happy trigger owner. We have 2 smart rookie QB's in Kess & Hogan with 4 full years at school now learning the pro game. Our Biggest mistake imo is finding that right veteran leader that can lead on the field. Jimmy G. is not a vet. But G's our best damn bet out there right now.Our top 2nd rounder or Titians pick can become a 1st rounder in the blink of a Hoodie...Stay tuned

Archived