THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns sign LB Jamie Collins

Zombo

Now: where does Collins play in Williams 4-3 defense?

Collins is your MLB, and nothing else. His major athletic plus is ability to read and avoid the interior blocks, both in runfit and passrush. He is no better than average as OLB -- so put your best players in position to stand out.

And if you disagree... read the link and refute that analysis, please stop just asserting OLB without any basis. Speed is a prerequisite for every position on the team.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Done deal... or is it???

There is a thread in Browns' reddit section linking to a Zagura video announcing a 4-year deal, but link is now to Williams' intro presser with no sign of a Collins' deal anywhere to be found.

Stay tuned...

Done deal... or is it???

There is a thread in Browns' reddit section linking to a Zagura video announcing a 4-year deal, but link is now to Williams' intro presser with no sign of a Collins' deal anywhere to be found.

Stay tuned...

It'll get done. I'm not worried.

Collins is your MLB, and nothing else. His major athletic plus is ability to read and avoid the interior blocks, both in runfit and passrush. He is no better than average as OLB -- so put your best players in position to stand out.

And if you disagree... read the link and refute that analysis, please stop just asserting OLB without any basis. Speed is a prerequisite for every position on the team.

I agree that his skills ARE considered most suitable to MLB.....but please STOP asserting false fact without knowing what the hell you are talking about. He PLAYED OLB for the most part last year.

And he is listed as OLB here:

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/CLE

And here:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/depth/_/name/cle/formation/3-4-defense

And here, there and everywhere is he listed as an OLB....even in the 3-4 let alone the 4-3.

So, which of us is making assertions with no basis?

Official per Browns Official site http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/

Where are all those who had negatively judged & bad mouthed Sashi & the Front Office? These are the same guys who "lost" all those players, but also fired incompetent "carryover" scouts, made some pretty decent acquisitions, & are following their plan. This is a huge step on the way to reversing those negative perceptions. For one, I LIKE the job they're doing & I'm ecstatic over wrapping up a young, play making linebacker which I consider a "must have" if you're to field a dominant defense.

Mike

Holy Crap A Defensive STUD in Cleveland.. A GM that tried something new that worked to get Talent in here..Let The Flood Gates Open..Job Well Done Team Browns!!

While I'm in no way surprised by his long term deal (why the Hell else would they have traded for him??) I am glad it's done, and done early, as it sets a good tone for the entire offseason.

While I'm in no way surprised by his long term deal (why the Hell else would they have traded for him??) I am glad it's done, and done early, as it sets a good tone for the entire offseason.

Its nice that they got it done without having to use a franchise tag or anything on him as well.

Its nice that they got it done without having to use a franchise tag or anything on him as well.

Mark, what's really nice is that, after playing here, he chose to stay. It's not all about the money. To at least some degree he liked what he saw & experienced. Signing Collins is a huge sign that things are headed in the right direction in Cleveland.

Mike

AKA what tia and a couple others have been preaching here for a while. Looks like we finally have the DC that they have been waiting for...

He can say that all he wants, I still don't see it as being completely true.

You absolutely sculpt your defense to your playmakers, I totally agree with that. But going with the whole nebulous "we'll do whatever" mindset isn't conducive to building a team. No doubt they have a specific base formation alignment in mind which they are using to cobble together their board.

I just don't see the biggest return on drafting both Garrett and Foster while resigning Kirksey and Collins and returning Davis, Orchard, Ogbah, and Nassib. Not to mention what we do with D. Bryant.

To tell the truth, I'm a little worried we don't take Garrett now.

I like the love but I'm so head-scratchingly confused by what we do with our personnel right now.

Mark, what's really nice is that, after playing here, he chose to stay. It's not all about the money. To at least some degree he liked what he saw & experienced. Signing Collins is a huge sign that things are headed in the right direction in Cleveland.

Mike

^^I'm with you Mike and when they add Garrett and at least one other stud D player in the draft, I know they are serious about building a team to be excited about here. :D

$26 of the $50mm guaranteed... cap-friendly...

He can say that all he wants, I still don't see it as being completely true.

You absolutely sculpt your defense to your playmakers, I totally agree with that. But going with the whole nebulous "we'll do whatever" mindset isn't conducive to building a team. No doubt they have a specific base formation alignment in mind which they are using to cobble together their board.

I just don't see the biggest return on drafting both Garrett and Foster while resigning Kirksey and Collins and returning Davis, Orchard, Ogbah, and Nassib. Not to mention what we do with D. Bryant.

To tell the truth, I'm a little worried we don't take Garrett now.

I like the love but I'm so head-scratchingly confused by what we do with our personnel right now.

Not getting your consternation... not in total anyway.

Let's take the DL first...

• Bryant moves inside to DT in the base... lightening to Shelton's thunder.
  • Garrett take RDE and Nassib/Ogbah/Cooper fight it out for LDE.

And LBs Collins - MLB - Kirksey with the MLB:

• Foster, if taken;
  • Davis, if we go another way at #12, either by choice or necessity.

That both Foster and Garrett upgrade their positions is not really in dispute, is it? So we end up with quality depth at two, key positions. Nicer problem that we've had in a while.

As for Williams... the issue I see is his inability to make a substantive contribution to the process this season since he's not touting his tape dissection as a means of evaluating talent. That leaves him talking in the ether about the relative contribution of various positions and the attributes of those that have best filled them for him in the past. Where that leads is anyone's guess.

...and yet Belichick tossed him overboard for a 3rd round pick....in a super bowl run season...

He's hailed as our best player on D, and Bill's got no need for him.

Hope he plays well.

We need to show the NFL world that we're aiming to get good and win a championship. This show effort.

...and yet Belichick tossed him overboard for a 3rd round pick....in a super bowl run season...

He's hailed as our best player on D, and Bill's got no need for him.

Hope he plays well.

We need to show the NFL world that we're aiming to get good and win a championship. This show effort.

Belichick couldn't afford to pay Collins so he traded him for whatever he could get. They need to resign Hightower, Butler, Cannon, Bennett, and Sheard. It was a business decision and Belichick is on record as saying so.

I agree that his skills ARE considered most suitable to MLB.....but please STOP asserting false fact without knowing what the hell you are talking about. He PLAYED OLB for the most part last year.

And here, there and everywhere is he listed as an OLB

If you agree his skills are MLB, that's the point. Thanks for agreeing with me!

As the link I posted showed using many clips to analyze Collins' performance, and as you would have seen had you actually clicked on it, Horton inaccurately playing Collins out of position doesn't make Collins an OLB. And ESPN dutifully reporting Horton's choice also doesn't make Collins an OLB.

When he plays MLB he's worth the contract he just signed. When he plays OLB he's Schobert with slightly more speed.. he can't set an edge, and has one move as a pass rusher.

• Foster, if taken;

That both Foster and Garrett upgrade their positions is not really in dispute, is it? So we end up with quality depth at two, key positions. Nicer problem that we've had in a while.

Thinking outside the box regarding the LB spot..

What if Collins is our starting ILB? So we have LB - Collins - Kirksey, because Davis is really too slow for the pass and inconsistently remembers how to stop the run..

I'm also proposing that the #12 be left for either QB or DB..

So perhaps that other LB slot gets filled in the second round with Tim Williams or any from the group of Charles Harris / Solomon Thomas / TJ Watt / Jarrad Davis who fall.

Belichick couldn't afford to pay Collins so he traded him for whatever he could get. They need to resign Hightower, Butler, Cannon, Bennett, and Sheard. It was a business decision and Belichick is on record as saying so.

I understand. But my point is how, in a super bowl run...he didn't keep him to help his defense win a super bowl.

We would pay and lose (to FA) 10 Collins' to have a chance at winning a super bowl. (ok, maybe not 10...)

As for Williams... the issue I see is his inability to make a substantive contribution to the process this season since he's not touting his tape dissection as a means of evaluating talent. That leaves him talking in the ether about the relative contribution of various positions and the attributes of those that have best filled them for him in the past. Where that leads is anyone's guess.

Going over to Sprotrac- Collins got paid, (4th best for linebackers average salary, 8th in total dollars) and with all the other contracts Bill is going to have to deal with- no wonder he traded for what he could get. With Bill it's my way or the highway, if reports about him not liking Collins' freelancing are true. BTW, Von Miller's contract is up there with franchise qbs.

I understand. But my point is how, in a super bowl run...he didn't keep him to help his defense win a super bowl.

In 2015 he was second team all-pro. In 2016 he was third on the browns in tackles, behind Kirksey and Davis, in only 8 games. I think you can relax a little on his general competence.

Not getting your consternation... not in total anyway.

Let's take the DL first...

• Bryant moves inside to DT in the base... lightening to Shelton's thunder.
  • Garrett take RDE and Nassib/Ogbah/Cooper fight it out for LDE.
  • Foster, if taken;

That's all well and good, except I can't think of any example if a team rebuilding like we are clearly passing on players of need at gigantic holes simply to create depth at another position.

I also see Collins as an ILB moving forward, but that's just me.

My point is that I just don't see the Foster pick happening for us and I'm growing more worried that the Garrett pick may not happen either. It's another year that we can move back and acquire capital, which is kind of upsetting.

EDIT: I have changed my mind on this completely. Will reference in another post.

Archived