THE BROWNS BOARD

Trump freezes Obama's last minute $221M payment to Palestine

bbedward

GOOD. The remnants of obaMao's bigotry will take some time to go away.

Trump isn't going to golf most of his presidency, he's going to drain the swamp.

Pat Kennedy, Obamao and higgardly's hack in the state dept.... is getting booted out the door.

and, enough already with our throwing so much money all around the world.

The UN demands big bucks, Trump is the president to tell them to shove it.

Decreasing the UN participation... big savings right there. ABOUT TIME. We have a REAL AMERICAN president now.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/25/us/politics/united-nations-trump-administration.html?_r=0

from the article:

to be used for humanitarian aid in the West Bank and Gaza to support political and security reforms, as well as help prepare for good governance and the rule of law in a future Palestinian state, according to the notification sent to Congress

You asked what it was meant for. That's what went with the request. I'm sure you can find 'alternative' reasons if you trawl through the blaze and breitbart or wherever. I'm guessing Times of Israel will also be great at giving 'unbiased' news regarding Palestine.

Trump repairing the relationship with Israel/

Besides Great Britain, Israel is a close and trusted ally.

An ally that seems to be very much a one way street, with Israel constantly on the take and anyone questioning it or suggesting there's another way to bring about peace in the west bank besides bombing the shit out of everyone is labelled antisemitic.

You asked what it was meant for. That's what went with the request. I'm sure you can find 'alternative' reasons if you trawl through the blaze and breitbart or wherever. I'm guessing Times of Israel will also be great at giving 'unbiased' news regarding Palestine.

You don't necessarily have to go searching right wing websites to get the opinion that Palestine won't use the money for the best of intentions. The locals have voted in a terror organization to run the government. We would find out pretty quick what is the USD to mortars/rockets conversion rate

Does that include sending money to Israel?

I know you weren't asking me but I would say it should not. Israel is one of our few allies anywhere near that region and surrounded by enemies who seem completely comfortable with supporting terrorism and also have nearly Unlimited streams of income.

WSS

An ally that seems to be very much a one way street, with Israel constantly on the take and anyone questioning it or suggesting there's another way to bring about peace in the west bank besides bombing the shit out of everyone is labelled antisemitic.

We realize your attitude already. Allahu Akbar

What do you expect a tiny nation that's beseiged on all fronts by belligerents that literally want to commit genocide on them to provide, except a strategic foothold into a lawless and barbaric region that's globally significant, yet, unfriendly to everyone, even themselves?

I know you weren't asking me but I would say it should not. Israel is one of our few allies anywhere near that region and surrounded by enemies who seem completely comfortable with supporting terrorism and also have nearly Unlimited streams of income.

WSS

Israel is not hurting for money on their own. My preference is that we don't keep giving money to other countries when we have our own money/debt problems as is. You can be an ally without pumping money to them.

What do you expect a tiny nation that's beseiged on all fronts by belligerents.

Nothing could be further from the truth. Below is a map of Israel. It's two largest borders are with Egypt and Jordan. Egypt's relations with Israel have never been better. They are both cooperating in the fight against ISIL in the Sinai. Don't take my word for it, take the word if Israeli media:

https://www.breakingisraelnews.com/71750/fighting-terrorism-sparks-unprecedented-level-cooperation-israel-egypt/#1jLcE0stH2ar9Ej3.97

This is very good news because ISIL needs it's butt kicked out of Egypt, and maybe, just maybe, it puts Egypt in a position to broker peace between Israelis and Palestinians.

On to Jordan. Relations here are improving as well, with Jordan signing a 15-year natural gas deal with Israel and requesting and gaining assistance from Israel on multiple fronts.

http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2016/10/palestine-jordan-israel-rapprochement-strategic-ties.html

Netenyahu wants Americans to believe Israel is besieged on all fronts so that money keeps flowing. He has routinely played our government for fools and is on video record as saying that he can easily manipulate America to his will.

Israel is the only country in the Middle East with nuclear weapons. They have plenty of money and the most sophisticated military in the region.

250px-Is-map.PNG

Israel is not hurting for money on their own. My preference is that we don't keep giving money to other countries when we have our own money/debt problems as is. You can be an ally without pumping money to them.

Maybe. And to be fair I've never heard you weigh in one way or the other but I have heard many who oppose Donald Trump who are outraged at the idea we might ask members of NATO to chip in what they owe for their protection.

Does America First platitude work there too?

Well you learn something new every day I suppose. Still my greater point stands: what do you expect them to provide except a stable foothold into the region?

The stablest of footholds will exist if not just peace, but real alliances between Israel, Jordan, and Egypt can be created. All three are US allies in the region, and all three have a vested interest in defeating ISIL. The only way that happens, though, is with the realization of a two-state solution in Israel/Palestine. Unfortunately you have Netanyahu on one side and Hamas on the other obstructing that. This is a pretty good overview of the problem:

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/29/world/middleeast/israel-palestinians-two-state-solution.html

Maybe. And to be fair I've never heard you weigh in one way or the other but I have heard many who oppose Donald Trump who are outraged at the idea we might ask members of NATO to chip in what they owe for their protection.

Does America First platitude work there too?

Indeed. We have carried the heavy load for years financially in the UN and NATO. Pay their part of the rent or move out.

You don't necessarily have to go searching right wing websites to get the opinion that Palestine won't use the money for the best of intentions. The locals have voted in a terror organization to run the government. We would find out pretty quick what is the USD to mortars/rockets conversion rate

I'm not under any illusions that Palestine has its fair share of issues internally, and I'm also not naive enough to think that if Israel just stops the bombing then peace blossoms like a spring daisy the next day. But, peace cannot come about by continued military action from either side, and as has been said before, Israel has by far the superior military in the area, let alone compared to the pop guns of Palestine.

As has also been said, Netanyahu and the like are basically just whacking the US' cash pinata as long as it looks like Palestine presents a viable existential threat.

As to the actual supposed intents for the money - "support political reforms" - that doesn't sound like money just intended to go into the Hamas war fund, does it?

I'm not under any illusions that Palestine has its fair share of issues internally, and I'm also not naive enough to think that if Israel just stops the bombing then peace blossoms like a spring daisy the next day. But, peace cannot come about by continued military action from either side, and as has been said before, Israel has by far the superior military in the area, let alone compared to the pop guns of Palestine.

As has also been said, Netanyahu and the like are basically just whacking the US' cash pinata as long as it looks like Palestine presents a viable existential threat.

As to the actual supposed intents for the money - "support political reforms" - that doesn't sound like money just intended to go into the Hamas war fund, does it?

I think the guys who fire off mortars and blow up civilians on buses are also capable of misrepresenting their intentions. Murderers can fib a little.

I think the guys who fire off mortars and blow up civilians on buses are also capable of misrepresenting their intentions. Murderers can fib a little.

Yeah no shit, but I never said anything to the contrary.

And yet....

http://www.btselem.org/statistics/fatalities/after-cast-lead/by-date-of-event

Click on any of the numbers and they list the people who were killed, their age, gender, how they were killed, and if they were participating in hostilities.

giphy.gif

There will be no peace in the middle east. They have been fighting for multiple millennia and will continue to do so. Both Israel and the Muslims feel they have a right to the land and their religious ideologies is the foundation for the conflict. Not sure we will ever see it happen, ever.

There will be no peace in the middle east. They have been fighting for multiple millennia and will continue to do so. Both Israel and the Muslims feel they have a right to the land and their religious ideologies is the foundation for the conflict. Not sure we will ever see it happen, ever.

I'm pretty sure the west has something to do with perpetuating it for the benefit of the war/oil machines.

They have been fighting for multiple millennia and will continue to do so. Both Israel and the Muslims feel they have a right to the land and their religious ideologies is the foundation for the conflict. Not sure we will ever see it happen, ever.

The Middle East had periods of peace when it was unified under the Ottoman Empire. That also wasn't millennia ago. That was up until WW1. When the Ottoman Empire lost in that war, the lands it ruled in the Middle East were partitioned by the British and French. This laid the foundation for much of the conflict that goes on there today.

I'm pretty sure the west has something to do with perpetuating it for the benefit of the war/oil machines.

so, it perpetuated itself for thousands of years, but it's out fault that now it

keeps perpetuating itself....

the craziest things come out of kids' mouths nowadays...

Archived