THE BROWNS BOARD

Joe Thomas on #1 overall...

Canton Mike

Here's some of what Joe Thomas had to say on the Dan Patrick show...

"You want to go defense. I think you need to get a pass rusher," Thomas told The Dan Patrick Show on Thursday.

"I think you've got to be careful reaching for a quarterback at No. 1 because if they fail, they don't help your team at all. Whereas if you pick a defensive lineman and they don't live up to the hype, you can still find a place to get them on the field and to have an impact," Thomas said. "We're a team that, we need guys who can come in and start and contribute. That's the risk of taking a quarterback."

This makes total sense to me in a way that hasn't been said before. Leave it to Joe to make the best argument I've yet heard on why NOT to take a QB at #1 (OR #12) this year.

Mike

He's just a fat ass that doesn't know anything and offensive lineman are a dime a dozen....they just stand around on street corners waiting to be picked up. No value whatsoever so what would he know about what the team should do?

He's just a fat ass that doesn't know anything and offensive lineman are a dime a dozen....they just stand around on street corners waiting to be picked up. No value whatsoever so what would he know about what the team should do?

Ghoul #2

JT is a smart guy. I like his way of thinking.

A year or so ago he said, that you've got to have a good QB in this league. If you're lucky enough to be on a good team then a lot of games are going to come down to a two minute drill. You're not going to be able to 'run' yourself down the field. You need to have a good QB that can get you down the field to win the game.

I think that THIS year his thinking is that the QB's available are not good enough to be taken ahead of the defensive players at the #1 position in the draft. And that certainly can be true.

Ghoul #2

JT is a smart guy. I like his way of thinking.

A year or so ago he said, that you've got to have a good QB in this league. If you're lucky enough to be on a good team then a lot of games are going to come down to a two minute drill. You're not going to be able to 'run' yourself down the field. You need to have a good QB that can get you down the field to win the game.

I think that THIS year his thinking is that the QB's available are not good enough to be taken ahead of the defensive players at the #1 position in the draft. And that certainly can be true.

I was being sarcastic...that's why it's in pink. Please in the name of all things holy don't ever put me in the same thought as a blowhard as the person you mentioned.

I think Joe is right on and I would definitely respect his opinion. Dude has played in the league for years and I would think he would know what it takes to make it at the QB position since he's seen like 100 of them in his time in Cleveland.

I was being sarcastic...that's why it's in pink. Please in the name of all things holy don't ever put me in the same thought as a blowhard as the person you mentioned.

lol

"You want to go defense. I think you need to get a pass rusher," Thomas told The Dan Patrick Show on Thursday.

"I think you've got to be careful reaching for a quarterback at No. 1 because if they fail, they don't help your team at all. Whereas if you pick a defensive lineman and they don't live up to the hype, you can still find a place to get them on the field and to have an impact," Thomas said. "We're a team that, we need guys who can come in and start and contribute. That's the risk of taking a quarterback."

This makes total sense to me in a way that hasn't been said before. Leave it to Joe to make the best argument I've yet heard on why NOT to take a QB at #1 (OR #12) this year.

Mike

Thanks for sharing that Mike! Very interesting perspective from a guy that's made 10 consecutive Pro Bowls especially considering LTs are primarily responsible for protecting the blind side of QB.

We'll undoubtedly have some very exciting choices in the first few rounds. I think I'm going back to Jonathan Allen as my favorite pick for us at #1. The ability to play inside inside or outside will be an invaluable flexibility to Gregg Williams. If not Allen, I'd love to add a LBer like Foster first and then we can pick up a pass rusher or Safety at #12. If Orchard comes back healthy, I haven't lost my intrigue to see what he has especially in Williams' defense.

I was listening to Joe on Mike&Mike on the way to work and man and he had some real good opinions on this.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - when Joe retires he can go straight to the front office and run this team. Ozzie Newsome the second.

Based on what I've heard from the guy and past successes, can't we make him the player/GM now? It literally can't go worse.

Based on what I've heard from the guy and past successes, can't we make him the player/GM now? It literally can't go worse.

And coach. I mean, how many OL coaches have we been through the last 5 years? How many have been better than JT would be?

JT vs. Garrett in practice only makes them both better. Iron sharpens iron.

Just struck me that in addition to being tired of seeing swings and misses at drafting franchise QBs, what Joe could very well be saying, "We have no one on our Defense that is a challenge for me."

Would be pretty fun to watch actually. Garett was ruining Cedric Oguehu (first rounder) in the summer before his true fish season.

You might want to translate this "aggie-speak" for the uninitiated.

And coach. I mean, how many OL coaches have we been through the last 5 years? How many have been better than JT would be?

Hmmmm.... I'm going with 'zero'.

Exhibit A: Mitchell Schwartz

Mike

While that is all true, it would still leave the Browns in quarterback hell.

Joe is right, there is risk in taking any QB high. But it may be a bigger risk not doing so. You risk that you will continue to be stuck with Kessler/McCown/Griffin.

And Joe's HC, who is in charge says that the Browns will take a QB somewhere. But, of course that is an even bigger longshot. Sure, we can take the next version of Charlie Frye, Colt McCoy, Luke McCown, Spergon Wynn, Weeed/Quinn/Manziel.

The risks of getting an actual top QB high is better than expecting lightning to strike with a Wilson/Brady in the lower rounds in this day and age.

A while back we got into a discussion of Myles' personality and lack of "nasty" with which I agreed. Interesting take over at reddit has me reconsidering the issue.

Poster wrote:

"I feel like their [Joe's and Myles'] personalities would mesh well."

My reply:

Interesting comment...

Garrett's prime, and perhaps only, negative has been his "laid back" personality. Laid back has worked pretty well for Joe.

Many will, and I did, argue that nasty is needed more on the D-side, but professionalism and proficiency would seem to me to trump all. Two premier pass-rushers in the league, Von Miller and Khalil Mack, don't come off as "mean", on or off the field, and they seem to be doing OK.

We've drafted what we thought were going to be pass rushers twice in the Top six, Brown and Mingo, and both were soft as shit.

This fucker better have an edge to him

Z

We've drafted edge rushers, running backs, receivers, corners, TEs and tackles in the top ten and most haven't worked out. Being soft as shit or hard as frozen shit isn't the point - get good football players.

We've drafted what we thought were going to be pass rushers twice in the Top six, Brown and Mingo, and both were soft as shit.

This fucker better have an edge to him

How about playing through 2/3rds of a season nursing a high-ankle sprain? Edgey enough?

A while back we got into a discussion of Myles' personality and lack of "nasty" with which I agreed. Interesting take over at reddit has me reconsidering the issue.

Poster wrote:

"I feel like their [Joe's and Myles'] personalities would mesh well."

My reply:

Interesting comment...

Garrett's prime, and perhaps only, negative has been his "laid back" personality. Laid back has worked pretty well for Joe.

Many will, and I did, argue that nasty is needed more on the D-side, but professionalism and proficiency would seem to me to trump all. Two premier pass-rushers in the league, Von Miller and Khalil Mack, don't come off as "mean", on or off the field, and they seem to be doing OK.

Von is terrifying on the field. And he was incredibly mean when he got to A&M. Most of the athletes lived in 4-bedroom apartments. They had to give Von his own, because he played (lived) so poorly with others.

Von is terrifying on the field. And he was incredibly mean when he got to A&M. Most of the athletes lived in 4-bedroom apartments. They had to give Von his own, because he played (lived) so poorly with others.

Maybe it's the glasses...

Von comes off as very controlled, calm, relaxed in interviews. Just saw him in one yesterday.

On-field? Intense to be sure and in combo with his physical gifts I can certainly see them add up to "terrifying", but not menacing... not "nasty"... certainly not dirty or cheap-shotting.

Just my long-distance take... which I am not in position to augment with TAMU tales.

Could be he's grown? Grown up?

We've drafted edge rushers, running backs, receivers, corners, TEs and tackles in the top ten and most haven't worked out. Being soft as shit or hard as frozen shit isn't the point - get good football players.

If he's soft as shit he won't be a good enough football player in the NFL.

Ergo my post.

Zombo

How about playing through 2/3rds of a season nursing a high-ankle sprain? Edgey enough?

Who, Garrett?

That's toughness and commitment, great traits, but I want to hear about a mean streak too.

I have no idea ... Never watched him

.. A&M guys?

Zombo

Archived