THE BROWNS BOARD

Hue Chimes in on Our QB Search from the Senior Bowl

Tour2ma

Hue Jackson promises Browns will get a QB, says it’s too early to know who or when
Posted by Zac Jackson on January 25, 2017, 8:43 PM EST

ap_16222814936792-e1471452189479.jpg?w=2AP

During his daily Senior Bowl press briefing Wednesday, Browns coach Hue Jackson told reporters that finding a quarterback is “imperative” for his team and promised that’s atop the team’s to-do list.

As for whether that quarterback will come atop the 2017 NFL Draft, Jackson said those discussions are really just beginning.

“I think you go through the process, and I know everybody doesn’t like me using that term,” Jackson said, per the Akron Beacon Journal. “I think you have to go through it and weigh what’s best. Who is the best player? We haven’t determined that. Is the best player a defensive end? Is it a quarterback? Is it a defensive back? I don’t know yet until you can evaluate them all and line them all up and see where they are and see what’s best.

We all a know a quarterback is very important to our football team. But is he the best player? We’ve got to find that out. We need to put one on our team. We’re going to find one. I promise you guys that. We’re going to do that. I think that’s imperative. I think we all know that, and that’s what we’re going to accomplish.”

The Browns pick at No. 1 and No. 12 in the first round of this year’s draft, then hold three more picks between Nos. 33-65. Though Jackson said he “[could not] disagree” with the notion that a top NFL quarterback is more valuable than an elite defensive player, he said that “will be the debate” as the team narrows and finalizes its draft plans over the next three months.

As for now, he said everything is on the table — including pre-draft trades involving a veteran quarterback and/or the possibility the Browns end up packaging some of those picks to move up or even down.

“Everything for right now is going to be negotiable and talked about,” Jackson said. “Until we sit down and talk about where we are and what we’re trying to do, then will we know. We haven’t had those discussions. I think right now we’re just in the beginning phases of all of it. We’ve got a long way to go before we get to that decision.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/25/hue-jackson-promises-browns-will-get-a-qb-says-its-too-early-to-know-who-or-when/

You may now proceed with the parsing of the tea leaves...

a top NFL quarterback is more valuable than an elite defensive player

I've said many times, the QB position is graded on a curve....because of the intense importance to a teams' success involved in that position.

The elite pass rusher cannot throw TD passes.

I've said many times, the QB position is graded on a curve....because of the intense importance to a teams' success involved in that position.

No argument... but the reference is to a top NFL QB... not the dude atop the current heap of prospects.

You have to project to the NFL level and there is no position projected with greater uncertainty than QB... not even Long-Snapper...

Ain't it great?

Anyone else get this little voice saying, "The Browns are gonna fuck this up."? :ph34r:

Why do I get the feeling that Chicago's great 1st round defensive pick will be running roughshod over our "franchise Qb" that becomes just another name on the T-shirt of Shame?

Anyone else get this little voice saying, "The Browns are gonna fuck this up."? :ph34r:

Why do I get the feeling that Chicago's great 1st round defensive pick will be running roughshod over our "franchise Qb" that becomes just another name on the T-shirt of Shame?

Maroon & White paranoia? ;)

Add up all the little "could thises, could thats" and you end up with "we have not assembled our board and we have not explored all the veteran acquisition options." AKA... we are right where we should be at this point in the process.

During his daily Senior Bowl press briefing Wednesday, Browns coach Hue Jackson told reporters that finding a quarterback is “imperative” for his team and promised that’s atop the team’s to-do list.

We all a know a quarterback is very important to our football team. We need to put one on our team. We’re going to find one. I think that’s imperative. I think we all know that.”

You may now proceed with the parsing of the tea leaves...

Not too much parsing needed......reading the above is pretty clear to me...its the 2 words he didnt say that stand out most...

Griffin & Kessler...............(are not our future)

What I like about Hues comments are that he is asking the right question in regard to the draft.....is he the best player?.....

And, if the Browns honestly answer that question....then we will not be selecting a QB early in this draft.....

And, if the Browns honestly answer that question....then we will not be selecting a QB early in this draft.....

We shall see if the Browns FO has really changed or if they are just shuffling the deck chairs again.

Which one of Cam Newton's teammates outscored Von Miller on a day Denver won 24-10?

That the QB position is the most heavily weighted in importance isn't really an issue, is it, Flugs?

The issue is how much weight do you give it and how great of a risk assessment gap do you let it overcome. Add in the fact that we all bring subjective analysis and measures, and... you have a forum... :)

I just checked and NFL's prospect grades are up... may have been for a while but first I seen them. It's not likely that any of us will accept them on the whole, but they can lend a quantitative context to our qualitative discussions.

Started to get into this here, but seems worthy of its own thread... see you there...

That the QB position is the most heavily weighted in importance isn't really an issue, is it, Flugs?

The issue is how much weight do you give it and how great of a risk assessment gap do you let it overcome. Add in the fact that we all bring subjective analysis and measures, and... you have a forum... :)

I just checked and NFL's prospect grades are up... may have been for a while but first I seen them. It's not likely that any of us will accept them on the whole, but they can lend a quantitative context to our qualitative discussions.

I hear ya! We all want a great QB here. Some years the supply of QBs for the round 1 demand is just a disappointing a stinker that refuses to cooperate with "Oh wait, Cleveland just needs a franchise QB? Then clearly one has to exist. Hocus pocus here's the next Peyton Manning..." It doesn't work like that and never has. Like Bill Parcels had to tell the Dallas media something along the lines of - "You guys act like franchise QBs grow on trees but I've worked in this league long enough to tell you they don't."

It's funny how often people forget all the first round QBs like Jamarcus Russell, Blaine Gabbert, Joey Harrington, Akili Smith, Cade McNown, Matt Leinart, Ryan Leaf, Byron Leftwich, JP's Lost-man, Patrick Ramsey, Brandon Weeden, Brady Quinn, Tim Tebow, Jay Cutler, RG3, Kyle Boller, Jake Locker, EJ Manuel, David Carr, Heath Shuler, David Klingler, and countess others...

When we're down to the point where we cannot afford to miss on 1 more first round pick (especially #1 overall) in a year draft experts/scouts don't consider this to be a great year to need a franchise QB - I don't see any harm in our FO considering equitable QBs to this year's first round projected guys later. The drafts Weeden came in and Johnny Manziel came in had a lot of first round bummers while guys that came after round 1 like Derek Carr and Russell Wilson were huge gifts. Even last year, the top 2 QBs drafted didn't outperform Dak Prescott right?

Which one of Cam Newton's teammates outscored Von Miller on a day Denver won 24-10?

Clowney didn't throw as many TD's against the Patriots as Brady did against Clowney's #1 D.

I don't know that curve grading any of this year's crop of QB's meets the grade of the two defensive players.

I DO know that I wanted Wentz last year. But last year is gone....and Hue is still saying that he needs to find a QB.

Started to get into this here, but seems worthy of its own thread... see you there...

This what you are talking about Tour?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings

This what you are talking about Tour?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings

Grades... not rankings. Might have helped, if I'd said "nfl.com"...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-grade

Garrett, Myles ----- OLB 6'5" 270 Texas A&M --- 7.6

Fournette, Leonard RB 6'1" 235 - LSU ----------- 7.1

Trubisky, Mitch ---- QB 6'3" 220 - North Carolina 6.8

Thomas, Solomon DE 6'3" 273 - Stanford ------- 6.8

Allen, Jonathan --- DE 6'3" 291 - Alabama ------- 6.8

Archived