THE BROWNS BOARD

On Fake News

Osiris

The TLDR: Conservatives are more susceptible to buying fake news because they are more sensitive to threats:

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/02/why-fake-news-targeted-trump-supporters/515433/

And NPR interviewed one fake-news outlet. The TLDR: Guy gets rich off his fake news site, which he claims he did to show how extreme alt-right people are that they will believe nonsense if it supports their views.

http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2016/11/23/503146770/npr-finds-the-head-of-a-covert-fake-news-operation-in-the-suburbs

The hilarious irony with this NPR article is the real possibility that the guy she's interviewing (Mr. Coler), who she clearly says had the internet handle "LetTexasSecede", claims that he is a Democrat and just wanted to show how easily fake news fools conservatives. The truth is probably that he's a conservative, and he's feeding the reporter a bunch of bullshit. The end result is he got her to publish a fake news story. Well played, Mr. Coler.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I think funny are the CNN's who holler about fake news with all the skeletons in their own closet of terrible biased reporting. The same goes with the documented bias of the MSM. They don't have the right to be on the mountaintop complaining about fake news with them being caught numerous times editing videos and distorting the truth.

The media is obsessing over a misspeak by Kellyanne Conway…

This morning all the rage in the news is Kellyanne Conway citing a massacre that never happened to justify Trump’s pause on immigration from 7 countries in the Middle East:

Now I get that it might not have been readily clear what she meant by a the Bowling Green massacre, since there never was a massacre in bowling green.

But as Conway points out, an NBC reporter even texted her early this morning but NEVER asked what she meant before the Today Show ran with the story bashing her for saying it:

Conway’s own tweet correcting the record came just after 8am, well after the major newsers had run their story:

On @hardball @NBCNews @MSNBC I meant to say "Bowling Green terrorists" as reported here:

READ: Bowling Green Terrorists: Al Qaeda in KY: US May Have Let 'Dozens' of Terrorists Into Country as Refugees

Why didn’t anyone contact her to ask her what she meant? Instead they just ran with the story, inferring she’s stupid or a liar, whichever one you want to believe.

UPDATE: Here’s another tweet from CNN. Look at now snarky it is and look at the timing on the tweet. It’s well after she corrected the record:

CNN @CNN

Kellyanne Conway is right. We did not cover the Bowling Green massacre -- because it never happened

For her part, Conway must do a better job of getting her facts straight before stating them publicly. The media loves opportunities like this to make Republicans look stupid and will continue to do so as long as anyone from the Trump admin misspeaks or gets facts patently wrong.

Can you imagine what would happen if Trump said this?

Fake News exists on both sides, for sure, but I've seen polls showing it's a little more prevalent on the right. I'm not sure what exactly would be the reason for that. Maybe we'll see a swing with a Rep president

NPR and CNN are just as guilty as Infowars and Huffpost when it comes to peddling dubious Op-eds as fact. NPR's post about the countries in the ban aligning with Trump's business interests comes to mind.

I'm not sure what's worse, cal's scatter gun approach of just posting endless links, or OBF's text dumping an entire article instead of engaging in conversation.

Feel free to respond to the article I posted. You posted a snarky comment about a misspeak by Kellyanne Conway and the article I posted gave the rest of the story. It was a simple misspeak that is being blown out of proportion by the media (and gftChris).

Feel free to respond to the article I posted. You posted a snarky comment about a misspeak by Kellyanne Conway and the article I posted gave the rest of the story. It was a simple misspeak that is being blown out of proportion by the media (and gftChris).

I'm blowing out of proportion? I'm free to make fun of her all I like, and we're not short of ammunition, with her 'alternative facts'. You could see her regret saying that before the words even came out.

Chris, have you been to each and every one of Obamao's 57 states?

Libs hate subjects in the news that they want to ignore.

Meanwhile, this is the left:

http://mashable.com/2017/02/02/threatening-posts-secret-service/#7bEZeMWB05q2

Over 12,000 tweets are calling for Trump's assassination. Here's how the Secret Service handles it

I'm blowing out of proportion? I'm free to make fun of her all I like, and we're not short of ammunition, with her 'alternative facts'. You could see her regret saying that before the words even came out.

It was misspeak. She corrected the record. No big deal. It is not like she made a huge gaff like misspelling potato or anything that extreme (or 57 states).

"Can you imagine if Trump had said 57 states!!???"

Now excuse me while I insult Obama for saying 57 states years after it happened.

Don't give me that "it would so much worse" BS. For YEARS that was brought up on here as a way to attack Obama.

I don't have a problem with mocking anyone for a misspeak such as Obama's 57 states but I always knew that was a misspeak by Obama and he knew there were only 50 states. I never thought he was that dense. When someone corrects their misspeak though it is dishonest to keep throwing it back at them like it was something they really meant. Conway misspoke on the Bowling Green massacre but she corrected the record and CNN is still going on about it as if she hasn't corrected the record. That is just being dishonest.

I don't have a problem with mocking anyone for a misspeak such as Obama's 57 states but I always knew that was a misspeak by Obama and he knew there were only 50 states. I never thought he was that dense. When someone corrects their misspeak though it is dishonest to keep throwing it back at them like it was something they really meant. Conway misspoke on the Bowling Green massacre but she corrected the record and CNN is still going on about it as if she hasn't corrected the record. That is just being dishonest.

So is cal being dishonest every time he brings up Obama and his 57 states? Are you?

I was having a little laugh at something that happened *today* (in my timeline, I saw the news this morning). It will be old news tomorrow for me at least.

Fake news might be more prevalent on the right, but mainstream news cover left fake news such as "Villanova Trump supporters attack black woman" and then never bother to retract the story when it comes out as fake

No one wants to comment? I suppose it's easier to bicker back and forth about misspeaks

NPR and CNN are just as guilty as Infowars and Huffpost when it comes to peddling dubious Op-eds as fact. NPR's post about the countries in the ban aligning with Trump's business interests comes to mind.

No one wants to comment? I suppose it's easier to bicker back and forth about misspeaks

I would comment, but I've never seen NPR or CNN do that. If you have any examples I would like to see them.

Ultimately I'm not talking about peddling Op-Eds as fact, though. We all know an Op-Ed is by definition meant for authors to express their opinions. That's why newspapers include the disclaimer on the bottom of Op-Ed pages.

Here is an example of a fake news story put out by the guy interviewed in the OP,

This story ran in a fake news outlet called "The Denver Guardian":

http://alexanderhiggins.com/fbi-agent-behind-hillary-email-leaks-found-dead-murder-suicide/

It was widely circulated, especially by Trump supporters, as fact. Snopes later debunked it:

http://www.snopes.com/fbi-agent-murder-suicide/

The person who owns "The Denver Guardian" is interviewed in the NPR link. He created a company called "Disinfomedia."

he is also responsible for this website: http://nationalreport.net/ Read some of the headlines and it will become clear that it's a joke.

So is cal being dishonest every time he brings up Obama and his 57 states? Are you?

I was having a little laugh at something that happened *today* (in my timeline, I saw the news this morning). It will be old news tomorrow for me at least.

I will probably bring up Obama's 57 states every time a conservative gets hit with misspeak that gets overblown but is it dishonest? Nah. I recognize it for what it is that happens to us all and some more than others. I was upset with CNN because they were still making snarky comments after Conway had clarified what she meant. That is being dishonest.

?

When someone corrects their misspeak though it is dishonest to keep throwing it back at them like it was something they really meant.

I readily admit Obama is smart enough to know there are 50 states. My guess it was a long campaign day and he misspoke. When CNN kept up with mocking Conway after she clarified her position it was dishonest. Speaking for myself I mock Obama for his misspeak not that I think he actually believes there are 57 states.

HUH? CNN’s Brian Stelter says Kellyanne Conway hasn’t APOLOGIZED for her mistake…

CNN’s Brian Stelter weighed in on the White House press briefing today, saying among other things that no one asked about Kellyanne Conway’s ‘Bowling Green Massacre’ comment yesterday and that she hasn’t yet apologized for her mistake:

Hey Stelter, for a media guy you sure do miss a lot. Like this for instance, where Kellyanne Conway corrected herself FIVE HOURS AGO

Kellyanne Conway @KellyannePolls

On @hardball @NBCNews @MSNBC I meant to say "Bowling Green terrorists" as reported here:

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/al-qaeda-kentucky-us-dozens-terrorists-country-refugees/story?id=20931131

I suspect Stelter has seen the tweet but feels she needs to do more than just correct herself or something. What does he want, a press conference with a tearful Kellyanne over a misspeak?

C’mon dude.

http://therightscoop.com/huh-cnns-brian-stelter-says-kellyanne-conway-hasnt-apologized-for-her-mistake/

So can you please explain where these stories are passing an Op-Ed as fact? Or do you mean that they are passing the incident as factual when it is unproven? If that's the argument, both articles do use the words 'reportedly' and 'alleged' which indicate that they are not passing it off as fact.

now about NOT fake news:

France tracks '15,000 terror suspects' but prisons are full - The Local
www.thelocal.fr/.../france-needs-10000-new-prison-places-for-15000-ex...
Sep 12, 2016 - France tracks '15,000 terror suspects' but prisons are full ... also said that some15,000 potential terror suspects are now being closely watched.
French Terrorism Watch List Overflowing with 15,000 Potential ...
counterjihad.com/french-terrorism-watch-list-overflowing-15000-potenti...
Oct 11, 2016 - Terror watch lists help track potential terrorists, but they are only as good as the validity of the indicators to get on the list, the intelligence on the suspects, ... France's terrorwatch list with its 15,000 individuals gives insight into ...
French PM: Terror threat is 'maximal' - CNN.com
www.cnn.com/2016/09/11/world/france-terror-threat/
Sep 12, 2016 - The French prime minister issued a stark warning to the country Sunday: ... JUST WATCHED ... European officials: 30 to 40 ISIS suspects at large ... in France are monitoring 15,000 people in process of radicalization, PM says.

typical, hard core liberals LOVE fake news when it's to their

political advantage. Then they use it as a weapon...

but eight years of obamao, why, they hate fake news...even if it isn't fake.

typical, hard core liberals LOVE fake news when it's to their

political advantage. Then they use it as a weapon...

but eight years of obamao, why, they hate fake news...even if it isn't fake.

The liberals have had a monopoly on the news for many years. It wasn't until the new media of the internet, cable news along with talk radio that the stranglehold was finally broken. The liberal media cannot stand they lost their almost total control of the news and now they want to shut down alternative news anyway they can. When it comes to fake news the MSM has had plenty of it's share of edited videos and misleading stories and not telling the truth. They are laughable when they call others fake news.

Archived