THE BROWNS BOARD

Hawkins Released

LogicIsForSquares

WTF? Why? It is not like they are loaded with Pro Bowl WRs. And this guy worked well in the slot. Did he make too much money? Not that that should be an issue with the Browns. Or does this FO just want to open spots so that "their guys"...guys they drafted could be put into where Hawkins was placed.

I also thought he was a favorite of Hue's since he had him in Cincy.

WTF? Why? It is not like they are loaded with Pro Bowl WRs. And this guy worked well in the slot. Did he make too much money? Not that that should be an issue with the Browns. Or does this FO just want to open spots so that "their guys"...guys they drafted could be put into where Hawkins was placed.

I also thought he was a favorite of Hue's since he had him in Cincy.

3TDs, 324 yards, 33 receptions. Not like they cut Julio Jones. Draft Ryan Switzer. But- they must think they don't need veteran presence in the locker room.

The writing was on the wall, they drafted his replacement last year.

Totally expendable.

Zombo

Did they? Who? Neither Coleman nor Pryor can be considered his replacement. Louis or Higgins? Neither of them caught a TD...and combined they produced about half the number of catches and yards as Hawkins.

Yes....I suspect you are right...they drafted his replacement...in the fact that they are bodies that will play WR. And they are "my guys" says Sachi.

But that does not mean those guys are as good. At least not by what they did in their rookie season. But they will replace him...for good or for bad.

On the other hand...HEY...maybe this is a precursor to them bringing Josh Gordon back into the fold! PoG would argue such.

Did they? Who? Neither Coleman nor Pryor can be considered his replacement. Louis or Higgins? Neither of them caught a TD...and combined they produced about half the number of catches and yards as Hawkins.

Yes....I suspect you are right...they drafted his replacement...in the fact that they are bodies that will play WR. And they are "my guys" says Sachi.

But that does not mean those guys are as good. At least not by what they did in their rookie season. But they will replace him...for good or for bad.

On the other hand...HEY...maybe this is a precursor to them bringing Josh Gordon back into the fold! PoG would argue such.

Higgins will play the slot. I'm sure we can capture those 33 passes out of the spot.

And guess what ... we might even get better!

Zombo

Higgins will play the slot. I'm sure we can capture those 33 passes out of the spot.

And guess what ... we might even get better!

Zombo

He has a lot to prove. He only caught all of 6 passes last year. But perhaps he will get his chance to shine.. I am not anticipating the Browns really taking a WR to speak of in this draft.

FAs?

Problem with this is i don't see a capable slot man on roster that can perform at Hawks level.

Switzer from UNC is a name that came to mind for the draft.

Well, the depth chart had Pryor and Coleman as the starting WRs....and had Hawkins and Louis as the backups. Of course...what pct. of plays do the Browns (and every other NFL team) use 3 Wideouts. Like half or more? So the #3 guy is really basically a starter in that "slot" role. Higgins would be the one to step up.

LWR 19 Coleman, Corey 16/1 16 HAWKINS, ANDREW R/Cin 81 Higgins, Rashard 16/5 84 Payton, Jordan 16/5 83 Parks, Dennis CF16

RWR 11 Pryor, Terrelle W/Cin 80 Louis, Ricardo 16/4 15 Alford, Mario SF16 85 Hall, Rannell P/TB 3 Boyce, Josh SF16 RWR 17 Leslie, Jordan SF16

Well, the depth chart had Pryor and Coleman as the starting WRs....and had Hawkins and Louis as the backups. Of course...what pct. of plays do the Browns (and every other NFL team) use 3 Wideouts. Like half or more? So the #3 guy is really basically a starter in that "slot" role. Higgins would be the one to step up.

81 Higgins, Rashard 16/5--(6'1") Coleman.Cory (5'11")opps

15 Alford, Mario SF16--(5'8") 85 Hall, Rannell P/TB--(6'0") Boyce, Josh SF16--(5'11")

Cutting Hawk sucks to save another 1.5M on a already 100M available cap. ^^this is whats left at slot options. How bout we 1st find a QB that can get the ball out to a 5'7" 180 lbs guys like of Hawk & Gabe..even better draft a 6'1 slot guy in WR-Zay Jones..line him up anywhere & watch him go...I'll get over it, it's a Toledo thing.Good Luck & go get a ring Hawk

Ima bite my tongue on the whole Gabe / Hawkins thing...except to say that this is additional proof of poor planning and more signs of a rudderless ship when it comes to foresight and knowing where you're going with this roster...

In other news.....Corey Coleman should be the slot guy......(which makes me point to the above comment....again)

In other news.....Corey Coleman should be the slot guy......(which makes me point to the above comment....again)

oops Fify..dropped in like a Hawk on that one. Breaking News-Coleman just dropped another one. Draft Zay Jones..they whiffed on all four balls..Wide of Receiver's..

Ima bite my tongue on the whole Gabe / Hawkins thing...except to say that this is additional proof of poor planning and more signs of a rudderless ship when it comes to foresight and knowing where you're going with this roster...

My first thought when I saw this thread started was, "Mud not gonna be a happy camper! :mad: " :D

Cutting Hawk sucks to save another 1.5M on a already 100M available cap. ^^this is whats left at slot options. How bout we 1st find a QB that can get the ball out to a 5'7" 180 lbs guys like of Hawk & Gabe..even better draft a 6'1 slot guy in WR-Zay Jones..line him up anywhere & watch him go...I'll get over it, it's a Toledo thing.Good Luck & go get a ring Hawk

I agree. The release of Hawkins may portend the fact that the Browns still may be in the WR market in the draft. We didn't think so after taking 4 of them last year....but now I see it highly possible that they go WR, perhaps in the first 4 rounds.

Interesting. Do you think his skills are more that way than like #1 or 2 wideout?

Does this possibly portend the pickup of a "non-slot" type WR in FA? People mentioned Jeffrey. That could be the type...but I am not so sure he would be the man. If not he...who?

Hmmm....I wonder if this means that Mike Williams or Cory Davis are in play at #12 (and Coleman moves to slot).

I don't think for a moment that Williams would last til 12.

There would be a lot of griping if they take a WR at 12....given they took a WR in round 1 last year...and given the other desperate needs on this team.

One of these days we'll actually trade players after their peak season rather than watch as they struggle in vain to replicate them.

Good luck, Hawk...

Archived