THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns "BPA" Draft

Suomi

You may be right. Austin has become awful. And I suspect the same about Houston, though the last couple of times I went through there I was able to avoid rush hour, so I made it through pretty well both times with no tie-ups. I just see very little in Dallas that is of any real interest. The most interesting place is the assassination location, and boy, if that is the best thing you got going for you...well, that kind of tells it all.

Houston traffic is bad but at least they're generally on top of infrastructure development. Austin is, pretty much as a rule, about 10 years behind.

Best thing in DFW is actually the Kimbell Museum in Ft. Worth. They bring in world class artworks on a regular basis.

Haven't been there, it the modern art museum of Fort Worth was a lot of fun. That giant cone made out of huge slabs of iron is pretty surreal.

How long until Arlington demands equal billing???

DAFW or Destruction!

I've spent a lot more time in Houston, lived there from '74 - '07 It is cosmopolitan as hell. Could be that I've simply not spent enough time in Dallas to overcome my stereotypical bias.

I friggin love Austin. It still has "charm"... "quaintness". If you learn the back-ways within the city, traffic can be tolerable. But if you are commuting from one of the neighboring bedroom communities, then you are basically screwed.

My college bud retired from Wisconsin to Georgetown, TX... NNE of Austin proper. Original intent was to be near enough to drive in for dinners, shows, etc., but traffic has all but killed that idea.

Houston traffic is bad but at least they're generally on top of infrastructure development. Austin is, pretty much as a rule, about 10 years behind.

Yep, been caught in major tie ups on I-35...and that was not even at rush hour. I scrambled out of there to get to SA and took a highway west of there, even if it meant having to out of my way. Went down 281 instead.

How long until Arlington demands equal billing???

DAFW or Destruction!

I've spent a lot more time in Houston, lived there from '74 - '07 It is cosmopolitan as hell. Could be that I've simply not spent enough time in Dallas to overcome my stereotypical bias.

I friggin love Austin. It still has "charm"... "quaintness". If you learn the back-ways within the city, traffic can be tolerable. But if you are commuting from one of the neighboring bedroom communities, then you are basically screwed.

My college bud retired from Wisconsin to Georgetown, TX... NNE of Austin proper. Original intent was to be near enough to drive in for dinners, shows, etc., but traffic has all but killed that idea.

So were you in Georgetown on that recent trip? Gumbo's on the square, Wildfire just off the square and Dos Salsas just a few blocks over on University. All excellent eateries.

So were you in Georgetown on that recent trip? Gumbo's on the square, Wildfire just off the square and Dos Salsas just a few blocks over on University. All excellent eateries.

No... not that time. My bud came into Austin for the evening. Will see if he knows the above next trip...

Love me some Chicken Fried Steak...

Best I've had is at the Tip Top Cafe in San Anton...

Runner up: Seabrook Classic Cafe in Seabrook, TX... of course...

Apparently you have to be a Cafe to serve really great CFS...

How do you guys remember all these meals and where you had them??

Impressive !

I remember a few memorable meals. The BEST steak I ever had was at a place called The Texas Club in Ruidoso New Mex. I remember that.

Just last week I had some great Kansas City BBQ at Joe's BBQ.

I once ate at the Tavern on the Green in Central Park. (don't remember the meal so much...just the location)

I also remember the worst meal I ever had, and that happened 43 years ago. I don't recall the restaurant's name,...it was in Bar Harbor, Maine, but I had a huge plate of steamed clams....and then spent two days in the hospital afterwards attached to all kinds of IVs.

Yes, it is...

Can't explain it but get a very weird vibe off of some Civil War battlefields. Gettysberg, twice as a kid and again as an adult, but they were nothing compared to two I had driving through Manasas Battlefield Park going Dulles to DC and back on a business trip. And on the way to DC I'd never noticed I was driving by it.

Maybe the Buddists are onto something???

Don't know about that "crown jewel thing (*cough* Charleston, SC *cough*), but Dallas is a helluva lot more "southern" than Houston.

Both were barely 30-yo when the Civil War broke out.

Savannah perhaps more than Charleston. Both nice, charming.

How do you guys remember all these meals and where you had them?? Impressive !

Because we have food in the States worth remembering? :P

I've had great meals in Britain... but they were all "foreign foods".

London included:

• a great Italian place (name may come) that was very hard to get into.
  • Geales... a wonderful, french-leaning seafood place in Notting Hill.
  • Rostiserie Jules... chicken to die for and you fetched your drinks from the Pub next door.

One of the best surprises was a little falafel takeaway near Hyde park... made a picnic out of it with the wife.

Somewhere around Coventry... no idea where as we were already lit from happy hour at the in-house Pub in our U. Warwick lodgings... had one of my best "Curry House" experiences ever. Wait staff was in full India regalia... no utensils just Nan with which to scoop the best Lamb Tika I've ever tasted. No idea the name... too... "happy"...

Also not remembering the name of the Italian place... dammit...

I had no idea you'd travelled England so much tour!

Six trips over a 1-1/2 year period doing course work in a Management Development course my then employer, Zeneca later AstraZeneca, developed with Warwick. We were the first class to include Swedes from Astra Pharmaceuticals. :) Yes, they were blond, except for one guy, and even a couple of the women could drink the Brits under the table.

Also took a private trip with my then significant other to UK. I know I took her to Geales, and we found the falafel house and picnicked in the Park. We toured the low, mid and highlands. The latter with a fast, Scottish friend I made in the course, who toured us through his highlands including a stop in Applecross where my significant other became my fiancee.

Ate some fantastic prawns in Applecross BTW... at the Applecross Inn. A sweet Pub with a full restaurant and maybe a dozen rooms upstairs... very quiet... very quaint. Wonderfully inaccessible, too, with a winding, one-lane road across a mountain immediately to the south. Followed a road north one afternoon until it disappeared...

applecross-inn.jpg

Excellent buttermilk pie and good "Cafe" food can be found @ Dahlia's in Liberty Hill Tour barely off Texas Hy 29, including that chicken fried steak. I stay away as often as possible so I can outlive my heart attack to be. :P

Excellent buttermilk pie and good "Cafe" food can be found @ Dahlia's in Liberty Hill Tour barely off Texas Hy 29, including that chicken fried steak. I stay away as often as possible so I can outlive my heart attack to be. :P

It ain't the CFS, pardner... it's all that good, country gravy...

Fortunately the mandatory side of greenbeans* counteract the gravy.

* boiled with bacon

Six trips over a 1-1/2 year period ....

My brother lived in Bath for several years, which opened the opportunity(and interest) to visit annually.....which was something I previously had little interest in.....and NOW, possibly my favorite long distance destination....

And, being someone who typically hates urban living and large cities....London has to be one of the greatest places Ive ever visited......and a large city I would love to live in....

BUT......the one thing that sticks with me about all my UK travels.....was the food........

As a general rule......blech :wacko:

My brother lived in Bath for several years, which opened the opportunity(and interest) to visit annually.....which was something I previously had little interest in.....and NOW, possibly my favorite long distance destination....

And, being someone who typically hates urban living and large cities....London has to be one of the greatest places Ive ever visited......and a large city I would love to live in....

BUT......the one thing that sticks with me about all my UK travels.....was the food........

Bath? Hometown of Jeffrey Dahmer?

Here...you might be able to buy his house that he grew up in. It was only the site of his very first murder:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4480-W-Bath-Rd-Akron-OH-44333/35327735_zpid/

As for English food....stick with the fish and chips and you will be fine.

As for English food....stick with the fish and chips and you will be fine.

Just take the Chunnel and make your way to Paris. Now that is a city I could live in. Great food and sidewalk cafes, plenty of great art and the metro can take you anywhere.

Just take the Chunnel and make your way to Paris. Now that is a city I could live in. Great food and sidewalk cafes, plenty of great art and the metro can take you anywhere.

Different strokes....;) .....while I do agree with the wonderful food/art/cafe part...I could never live in Paris. Was there twice and never really felt comfortable...(just out of place)........and I learned, whatever you do, NEVER order the pizza......

The tube became my lifeblood....but my memories of the metro are only of angry beggars and confusion,,,,ha!

Just thank God, for the "Look Right! ===>" reminders at the curb of every crosswalk...

Food? Thus the seeking of "foreign" establishments... even MickeyD's in a pinch...

The tube became my lifeblood....but my memories of the metro are only of angry beggars and confusion,,,,ha!

"Mind the Gap!"... The Tube rules... longest escalators in the world.

On one of my last trips on my former company an industrious scrap thieves had made off with the full complement of one stop's escalator's steps overnight.

It was then I learned that the manual steps are long, too.

Food in London has improved a lot the last few years, all sorts of cuisine available. English food in general is pretty rubbish just all pastry, meat and veg :)

As for London it may be a great city in tourist parts but it's a real shithole in a lot of parts, ghettos have sprung up all over south, east and north London. West London is where the money is and might as well be on a different planet to East!

Food in London has improved a lot the last few years, all sorts of cuisine available. English food in general is pretty rubbish just all pastry, meat and veg :)

As for London it may be a great city in tourist parts but it's a real shithole in a lot of parts, ghettos have sprung up all over south, east and north London. West London is where the money is and might as well be on a different planet to East!

West End Boys slumming it with East End Girls?

Edit: Sorry, I guess it is the other way around. West End Girls slumming with East End Boys:

... but the English can make a great soup out of just about anything... maybe it's all that practice they get boiling beef...

What's weird is how good the food is in the highlands. I took to Haggis like it was Mother's milk... an analogy better suited for their whiskey, but whatever....

... but the English can make a great soup out of just about anything... maybe it's all that practice they get boiling beef...

What's weird is how good the food is in the highlands. I took to Haggis like it was Mother's milk... an analogy better suited for their whiskey, but whatever....

Of course, the key to making Haggis seem good is that you have had to imbibe a significant amount of their whiskey.

Archived