THE BROWNS BOARD

Garrett Peppers and 1st rounder

Comeonman

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So did Bama but there are always a bunch of 5*****s just chomping at the bit to take their places. MFers!

Yup... motivated to get off special teams...

Outside of Braylon Edwards and Derrick Alexander, Michigan has given us lunch pal guys to admire like Safety Thom Darden, Center Steve Everitt, RB Leroy Hoard and even FB/H-Back Aaron Shea.

Mike Mayock (who was raised by a high school football coach) before he got drafted as a DB - has a lot of knowledge of DBs and what they show on film. I trust why he rated Peppers #1. And like Jon Gruden said, it doesn't hurt to have experience at S, CB and LBer when heading to the NFL because of all the different schemes he'll face from week to week.1 week he may see a lot of double tight; another he may see a lot more spread, another week he may face a great run team so the more ways he can defend people (as used by Harbaugh's staff) - the more intriguing he gets. In 2016, he had 15 tackles for a loss and we've seen some of these that were fun to watch.

While Jalapeno Peppers might not warm everyone's groin in Ohio - I get the feeling he changed Gregg Williams' football wood factor from balsa to sequoia.

Let's just hope he does not turn out to be ash....as in the stuff that is left after a tree catches on fire, not on the "brand" of tree itself.

Michigan just took the lead over BAMA in this draft...

ROLL TIDE... or Woody will be insufferable...

Ohio State had 7 in a "down" year....but had 3 in first round, and like 5-6 in rounds 1-3. TUN had more players taken down the line.

(and I think there were actually 3 that were left undrafted, including Stribling that the Browns picked up)

Only once, just to put it in this thread:

Michigan had a lot of seniors on the roster. A lot of guys from the Hoke era. Not nearly at the level Harbaugh is bringing in, but they had the experience and a few years of Harbaugh coaching. This is not a usual case of losing all your seniors and getting worse, as we're still turning it into Harbaugh​s team.

Ex, we had 3 Sr OL and none were drafted. Saying "Look at all of the Srs they lost!" doesn't mean much when the guys replacing them will be better.

Alright, that's it.

Of course, it remains to be seen if in fact they will be better.

Peppers is the big question mark for me and many others. If...IF he works out, then it's an incredibly smart pick because it fills a couple of giant holes. If we weren't dead last in return yards last year, we had to be close. Also, I didn't love our tackling in the secondary last year, and regardless of what some people say, I think Peppers can absolutely tackle. I don't necessarily think Peppers is "plug and play", and I do think he will require a defensive coordinator with vision and creativity. Luckily for us, I believe Gregg Williams is such a guy, and I'm hoping Peppers can be used in a similar role as Troy Palumalu. I am not, read again, NOT saying Peppers will be Palumalu, but I envision him playing that kind of role. Sitting at the line of scrimmage, dropping back, blitzing the QB....I think we can use him all over. Can you imagine just how fun it would be to have a guy that the defense has to account for every play? Peppers is also a fiery guy, and I like that.

I don't doubt one second Peppers will work out great. Opposing offenses will have to game plan

for him - where he is, what he might do - defenses will start noticing that he can get an offensive play

...what will he do then? or is he just there that time to mess with their minds?

He'll be inspiring the Browns in all three phases I think. That reminds me of Cribbs - how tough and all out

he played every play. That means the world to guys who want to win.

The icing on the cake, is that both Peppers and Njoku were often listed as probable draft

short list players for the squealers. They settled for Watt.

doesn't believe Peppers has a 2-3 down position in the NFL which should be a given

He does. MeatChicken didn't play him at his NFL position of SS last season.. because the only weakness of UM's D last season was speed on the edge other than Peppers.

Watch the entire video. You're entitled to your opinion, but you are NOT entitled to your own facts.. Peppers has a position whether you like [or accept] it or not. He doesn't have stats last year that might be considered "normal" for SS because....... he didn't play that position last year.

I saw that Njoku was a high jumper in track who cleared 6'10". Add that to the 6'4" frame and he wins most jump balls. This is a red zone nightmare for other teams.

Though know what Ag? Garrett had a couple more inches of vertical at the combine than Njoku. How's that for impressive? BTW looked it up- the combine record for vertical (any position) is 45", Myles did 42". :)

If we weren't dead last in return yards last year, we had to be close.

KO Return Ave. - 18.7 yd - 28th in league

Punt Return Ave. - 6.7 yd - 26th

Pretty good call... but about that Peppers - Palumalu comparison...

Though know what Ag? Garrett had a couple more inches of vertical at the combine than Njoku. How's that for impressive? BTW looked it up- the combine record for vertical (any position) is 45", Myles did 42". :)

NIAGARA FALLS! https://youtu.be/_yJBhzMWJCc?t=1m4s

He does. MeatChicken didn't play him at his NFL position of SS last season.. because the only weakness of UM's D last season was speed on the edge other than Peppers.

. You're entitled to your opinion, but you are NOT entitled to your own facts.. Peppers has a position whether you like [or accept] it or not. He doesn't have stats last year that might be considered "normal" for SS because....... he didn't play that position last year.

Alright, even for me you're getting a little annoying with the "watch the video!" nonsense. We get it dude, you watched one video on peppers and now you're an expert. Just cool it a little bit, alright?

KO Return Ave. - 18.7 yd - 28th in league

Punt Return Ave. - 6.7 yd - 26th

Pretty good call... but about that Peppers - Palumalu comparison...

Thanks for the stats! Man, it's hard to believe there were that many teams WORSE than us at returning kicks/punts. I was happy to see us fair catch the thing or fall forward for 5 yards, LOL. I watched some of Peppers returns on YouTube, and the guy seems very confident (maybe TOO confident, lol) catching the ball and turning up the field. He's definitely got the "look", and his acceleration and shiftiness is definitely noticeable.

I want to say again for the record. I am NOT...NOT...saying Peppers WILL BE PALUMALU, LOL. I am merely saying I can envision Peppers fulfilling a similar ROLE as Troy did...that's all. I would never say a draft pick is going to be a freaking Hall of Famer out of the gate. You guys know me better than that! I just have a vision of this Peppers kid at the line of scrimmage, blitzing the QB, dropping back into deep coverage, and bursting through the line to trip up a ball carrier. I also love how fiery he is, and I think it's something our defense really needed. Jamie Collins is our best defensive player (in my mind), but he appears to be the "strong silent type". Peppers seems like the guy that can get people fired up, and we needed it. I LOVED seeing the video of Hue Jackson and our other coaches get so excited after hearing we took Peppers. We REALLY wanted that kid.

:) ... Gotcha?

As for accounting for Peppers...

1. Not seeing him as that kind of impact player. Seeing a difference between an impact player who unexpectedly lines up at different places, e.g., Watt, Mack, Miller, and a player whose role changes play to play as dictated by down and distance.
  2. A good offense can account for any one impact player, but in doing so it may not be able to do "what it wants, when it wants to." Thinking here specifically about having to use a back to chip or hold in a TE to double team rather than add to the flooding of a zone with that restrained player.

What I will say is that I may well have overlooked a third, defensive emotional-leader option in addition to Foster and Adams. Peppers not only has that kind of infectious enthusiasm, it was visible at the Combine, but also can do one thing Foster and Adams can't... spread it beyond the D. As a ST'er and RB, Peppers' reach, or emotional impact potential, is greater.

:) ... Gotcha?

As for accounting for Peppers...

• Not seeing him as that kind of impact player. Seeing a difference between an impact player who unexpectedly lines up at different places, e.g., Watt, Mack, Miller, and a player whose role changes play to play as dictated by down and distance.
  • A good offense can account for any one impact player, but in doing so it may not be able to do "what it wants, when it wants to." Thinking here specifically about having to use a back to chip or hold in a TE to double team rather than add to the flooding of a zone with that restrained player.
What I will say is that I may well have overlooked a third, defensive emotional-leader option in addition to Foster and Adams. Peppers not only has that kind of infectious enthusiasm, it was visible at the Combine, but also can do one thing Foster and Adams can't... spread it beyond the D. As a ST'er and RB, Peppers' reach, or emotional impact potential, is greater.
Exactly. Plenty of potential. Too much time to sit and wait to see if he was worth a #1

How do you not use a guy who can do that on Offense? Screens... bubble screens... draws... wheels... any means to get him into space... into a broken field.. with the ball in his hands.

While I don't expect Peppers to be the second coming of Ronnie Lott or Eric Turner, or even of Thom Darden (because Darden could intercept...and Pepper does not), I do expect him to be worthy of a first round pick as a solid Strong Safety....tough against the run...and better at coverage than he has shown. And I do expect him to be there with Eric Metcalf and Josh Cribbs in the return game.

The post just above this one? Yes, that is partially what I want to see out of him.

pep.0.gif

If Dr. Peppers is used extensively as a PR, KR it will most likely reduce his professional career. This isn't college.

I hope he's successful for the BROWNS sake but is still a big reach at #12 compared to what the BROWNS could have had as a DB in that spot in this year’s LOADED defensive draft.

I LOVED seeing the video of Hue Jackson and our other coaches get so excited after hearing we took Peppers. We REALLY wanted that kid.

Chris Tabor seemed very excited would assume he's expecting him on his special teams

If Dr. Peppers is used extensively as a PR, KR it will most likely reduce his professional career. This isn't college.

I hope he's successful for the BROWNS sake but is still a big reach at #12 compared to what the BROWNS could have had as a DB in that spot in this year’s LOADED defensive draft.

That pretty much sums up my opinion of him. I really don't mind Peppers as the pick...I just don't like where he was picked and who we passed up to slide to #25 to get him.

Charley Casserly had the squealers picking Peppers with their first round pick.

All three first round picks for the Browns will be stars/household names.

It won't take long.

Archived