THE BROWNS BOARD

Offensive report card

Mudfly

Ok....I saved the worst for last.....OFFENSE......(offensive?).....

Yep. I think the tide has turned and, this year, our offensive will be the worst part of our team. Of course, I do think our defense suffered(severely), due to an offense that could not stay on the field or use up clock time. And a defense that never rests, will eventually(every game) wear down. So, while D has been bottom of the barrel, the O has a lot of blame in the matter. A lot.

When I look at this O, compared to 2015's O, I actually (and very sincerely) believe we have gotten worse. I will not harp on and on about Hue, as I spell that out in the coaches thread....except to say I dont see a good offensive plan, I dont see great schemes, I dont see him utilizing talent correctly, etc etc. Honestly believe that DeFlip got a lot more out of what he had. So, in this aspect of our team, I believe our offensive coaching has taken a step backward and is not "improved"...per se.....

O-Line. I do like the fact that we signed a couple free agents, as they were desperately needed. Zietler is a quality player and will allow Greco to act as a floater and provide better depth(assuming he can play). The center Tretter has poor track record and seems to get hurt every single year, So, while he might be a decent player, he has to show he can stay on the field to help us out. Obviously, we have our fingers crossed at RG, and can only hope someone shows up. To me, still a hole(or big ???) at this position. But compared to 2015's line, I think we have not gotten back to that quality yet. So, a position group that was improved(this year), but still lagging behind the 3-13 team we are trying to improve upon.

Note: If Tretter performs well(and stays healthy)....and Shon Coleman seizes the day at RG, then I can see this quickly evolving to an improved high quality OL.....

Running Back....no real changes here. I like Duke and I like Crow and believe they are sufficient and a solid 1-2 punch. The rotation behind them is every evolving(or rotating actually). I do not believe they are being used well and there was a lot of great football that didnt happen, because these 2 did not get enough touches.....running or passing. Personnel wise....this position is the same. Not better. Not worse. But good enough to focus elsewhere.

Tight End.....I hope we're better here. I think we are, but am counting on 2 guys....Njoku & DeValve.....who have yet to establish themselves or ever even start an NFL game. So, that is a lot of hope. We know Barny was limited, so I have no real issues with him going.....BUT....had he stayed, we would be "better"....depth is good. I think DeFlip showed how good Barny could be, if used well. So tight end gets a "maybe better".....A+ for hope

Wide Receiver....hmmm....I just do not feel this group. At all. Sorry. There honestly is not one player that excites me. Sure, there are a few I "hope" play well or show improvement (hell, I hope they all improve), but none that have flashed or shown me anything to get excited about. I truly feel we have gotten worse....digressed.....2 years running now. So, word out of camp is Louis is the one looking good(uh oh).....Coleman is hurt(again)......who's our slot?......and Britt is....er.....no real word on him..... So....sorry to say I think no improvements here....

Quarterback.....most important player.....the one we've tried and tried and tried to fix.....23 on the jersey and counting.......Let me preface this by saying: """"Until we get a quality NFL starting franchise type good quarterback, we have not improved(at quarterback)"""""....and, by that, I mean that if our QB is a backup type of starter and this backup starter is better than that backup starter, that is not better. Period. ..........So, this year, like every other year, we have a questionable veteran(Hoyer, McCown, Osweiler)......and sometype of young prospect or 2 (Weeden, Manziel, Davis, Kessler, Kizer)....so, this year a new veteran failure hopeful type of guy(Os)......an average prospect(Kess).....and the next hopeful starter(Kizer).......so, we have not gotten worse, but have not gotten better(yet).....cmon Kizer!!!!.....grade = the same, with new hope(as always).....

So.....in the end......I see us most likely improved at TE.....but thats the only area I can honestly create an argument for improvement.....

I see as "about the same" at running back and quarterback.....with no obvious gains or drop offs.....

I see us weaker(worse) at Coaching, O-line and Wide receiver.....

The WRs are certainly a big question mark.

The pre season is such a joke anymore, but the Browns need to see if they can establish the run. IF they can run the ball effectively, all of a sudden the QB and TEs, WRs look better.Let's hope the new-look O line can open up some running lanes and the offense clicks. That's how Marty did it at the end of 1984, into 1985, and by 1986 the Browns were one of the best offenses in the NFL.

I think you meant to be referring to Right Tackle and not RG.

I agree whole heartedly that Flip did a better job with the offense. He certainly knew how to get the most out of Barnidge.

There's a few of us that feel like Barnidge shouldn't have been released until we were sure that one (or more) of the new(er) TE's could fill his shoes.

I think you meant to be referring to Right Tackle and not RG.

I agree whole heartedly that Flip did a better job with the offense. He certainly knew how to get the most out of Barnidge.

There's a few of us that feel like Barnidge shouldn't have been released until we were sure that one (or more) of the new(er) TE's could fill his shoes.

Barnidge had one blip on his screen, 2015, and the rest was not nearly so good. The rook will be far better from day one IMO.

Thomas - Bito - Mack - Greco - Schwartz.... that was our opening day OL in 2015. They started a combined 72 of 80 games; 40 of 48 for the interior.

Thomas - Bito - Erving - Greco - Paztor... that was our opening day OL in 2016. They started a combined 57 of 80 games. 26 of 48 for the interior.

2017? We are poised to start a unit with 2015 potential that is deeper and protected by an improving D that might actually keep us within sniffing distance of being able to stick with a game plan.

Otherwise:

• Same RB crew plus a decent FB...
  • Deeper QB room...
  • More gifted TEs... and...
  • a WR corps that does not have to leap too high to clear the 2015 bar.

When I add it all up I see a recipe for a return to competitiveness, i.e., winning "a few" and "being in" a few more.

Crawl before you walk... walk before you run...

Thomas - Bito - Mack - Greco - Schwartz.... that was our opening day OL in 2015. They started a combined 72 of 80 games; 40 of 48 for the interior.

Thomas - Bito - Erving - Greco - Paztor... that was our opening day OL in 2016. They started a combined 57 of 80 games. 26 of 48 for the interior.

2017? We are poised to start a unit with 2015 potential that is deeper and protected by an improving D that might actually keep us within sniffing distance of being able to stick with a game plan.

Otherwise:

• Same RB crew plus a decent FB...
  • Deeper QB room...
  • More gifted TEs... and...
  • a WR corps that does not have to leap too high to clear the 2015 bar.

When I add it all up I see a recipe for a return to competitiveness, i.e., winning "a few" and "being in" a few more.

Crawl before you walk... walk before you run...

And add in more possessions per game thanks to an equally improving D that gets off the field more often. Think we will walk pretty fast this year compared to last year's crawl.

And add in more possessions per game thanks to an equally improving D that gets off the field more often. Think we will walk pretty fast this year compared to last year's crawl.

Well, we shall see. Hopefully the young DL will perform better. Hopefully the schemes will be better under Williams. I still think there are holes in this secondary....not sure if Peppers can fill one of them.

There are still questions....so it remains to be seen if in fact they improve over last year. They need to be vastly improved just to be average. Have they gotten there? time will tell.

Archived