THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Board All Time NFL Draft

The Gipper

Page 1 Mud,no egg timers allowed.Tell the pooch Happy Mud adoption week.How old & hows the pooch.

Ahhh....page one.....thank you sir gumbalia....

Pups maybe 4 or 5, dont know.....but doing swell......saw all the pups this week at practice, but one is enough....

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have heard that Marcus's father just passed away...he posted it elsewhere. So I will relieve him of the necessity of making this pick.

Good luck to you Marcus, hang in there. Sorry for your loss.

On behalf of Marcus, the selection is:

Ray Lewis, LB Baltimore Ravens.

(if Marcus should like to come in and change this pick, he may do so...though he won't be able to take someone who may have been already picked. Note: I took Lewis because he was the person with the highest Career Production average that had not yet been taken)

Bob806 is on the clock.

(Let's see...his favorite player is John Elway...NOT! Does he pick him? :o )

But, just FYI, the top 4 players in career production average that have not yet been taken...are QBs, but none of them named Elway: Favre, Tarkenton, Brees, Marino.

Ok guys, sorry imr out in Los Angeles, World Police and Fire Games...

I'm taking Jack Lambert, Steeler commie who I actually like.

I select Bob Lilly, DT, Dallas Cowboys

Good pick. He opened the door for me here one day at the local UPS store as we reached it at the same time. Nice guy with a nice little 2 seat Mercedes. The workers knew exactly who he was since he lives nearby. Nolan Ryan lives on the other side of town in the high $$ area closer to his Round Rock Express team.

PM sent to BrownsnMopar.

Good pick. He opened the door for me here one day at the local UPS store as we reached it at the same time. Nice guy with a nice little 2 seat Mercedes. The workers knew exactly who he was since he lives nearby. Nolan Ryan lives on the other side of town in the high $$ area closer to his Round Rock Express team.

PM sent to BrownsnMopar.

If it goes past 2:00 today I will make his pick for him.

It has now been 48 hours since our last pick. BrownsMopar has been on the clock that long. Ergo, the time is up. I will choose for him.

As in other picks I have made with others, I am going to go strictly by the numbers.....the person with the best career production average not yet selected.

Ergo, on behalf of BrownsMopar the next pick is:

Brett Favre QB Green Bay Packers.

If Mopar wants to come in and change this pick, that is fine....but like before, he will not be able to select someone who is already taken before he makes the change.

As for my pick...here we go. I am going to choose a guy that is an elite category of being only 1 of 5 players to have been selected to the Pro Bowl in each of his first 10 seasons. He is also the active leader among all players in terms of making first team ALL PRO. (yes, even over Brady) By the time he is done he may be considered to have been the best to ever play the position....despite playing all this time on lousy teams. And, of course, with this pick a clear bias is shown on my part....and an attempt to tweek the beek of another patron here:

Joe Thomas OT Cleveland Browns

(I DID consider a couple of other OL...including Munoz and Bruce Matthews....but I said WTF, Joe has accomplished some things neither of those two did. I also considered the likes of Elway, Marino and Merlin Olsen...all worthy. But I just thought: by the time he is done JT is going to have to take a back seat to hardly no player that has ever donned a uniform. So, go with Joe)

(by the way, among the other players that had also been Pro Bowlers their first 10 years included Barry Sanders, Merlin Olsen, Mel Renfro, and Lawrence Taylor. (Jim Brown didn't do it because he only played 9 years)

JT is only the second OL taken, behind Ghoolie's choice of Webster.

BOO is on the clock.

FYI, I will be out all week, and while I may be able to check in on my phone, I won't be able to edit the first post in this thread....but keep thing moving along.

Like I did with the regular draft, here I am listing the 10 "Best Rated Prospects" that have not yet been chosen. For this I am going purely by the PFR Career Average figure. This, of course means nothing in terms of who the "best player available" is. It just may mean that these guys were around a long time and produced at a fairly high level. Here is the list:

1. Fran (the White) Tarkenton

2. Drew Brees

3. Dan Marino

4. Bruce Matthews

5. John Elway

6. Derrick Brooks

7. Rod Woodson

8. Junior Seau

9. Alan Page

10. Julius Peppers

For another way of measurement, here are the top player available in terms of numbers of Pro Bowls they have made:

1. Tony Gonzales

1. Bruce Matthews

1. Merlin Olsen

4. Champ Bailey

4. Ken Houston

4. Randall McDaniel

4. Junior Seau

4. Will Shields

9. Larry Allen, Derrick Brooks, Tom Mack, Gino Marchetti, Anthony Munoz, Jonathan Ogden, Willie Roaf, Rod Woodson

Time to honor one of the original NFL founders and a key player that got it off the ground.

@ #24 overall from the Canton Ohio Bulldogs, all around great athlete who once kicked a 95 yard punt to win a championship game, the late, great Sac & Fox American Indian from the state of Oklahoma, Jim Thorpe RB and Punter. Titles in 1916, 1917 and 1919. Now there was a man who paved the way for that other all-around athlete, Jim Brown.

He was voted the greatest pro football player and greatest athlete of the first half of the 20th century and was inducted into the first class in the NFL Hall of Fame in 1963. Canton Mike can attest you will find his larger than life statue in the rotunda there in the HOF.

Time to honor one of the original NFL founders and a key player that got it off the ground.

@ #24 overall from the Canton Ohio Bulldogs, all around great athlete who once kicked a 95 yard punt to win a championship game, the late, great Sac & Fox American Indian from the state of Oklahoma, Jim Thorpe RB and Punter. Titles in 1916, 1917 and 1919. Now there was a man who paved the way for that other all-around athlete, Jim Brown.

He was voted the greatest pro football player and greatest athlete of the first half of the 20th century and was inducted into the first class in the NFL Hall of Fame in 1963. Canton Mike can attest you will find his larger than life statue in the rotunda there in the HOF.

Absolutely spectacular pick - kudos!

Absolutely spectacular pick - kudos!

Thanks Suomi-I had thought of him to be one of my picks as soon as Gip brought up the idea of naming the all-time greats.

I grew up Beaumont, Texas, the birthplace of the woman voted greatest female athlete of the 1st half of the 20th century, Babe Didrickson Zaharias. So I could not pass up her male counterpart. She was still a legend there and died when I was about 8 (though I have no memory of it).

I have the most feared WR in NFL history, and the best QB tactician in NFL history.

Now I need to add a versatile leader on defense.

I am going to draft one of the most decorated football players of all time, defender, Charles Woodson.

Young Raiders Woodson can start at CB

Seasoned, DPOY Packers Woodson can play all over the defense

Veteran Raiders Woodson can play safety while being a leader and a coach on and off the field.

A perfect pick that fills multiple holes on my team.

I have the most feared WR in NFL history, and the best QB tactician in NFL history.

I am going to draft one of the most decorated football players of all time, defender, Charles Woodson.

Veteran Raiders Woodson can play safety while being a leader and a coach on and off the field.

Did he play for Ohio State?

Rod Woodson would have been a better choice. Antoine Winfield was a better pure CB. But each to his own.

As noted before, Marcus's father passed away, and I don't think he is back in the swing again. Ergo, on his behalf I will make a pick.
With this, again, if he comes in and wants to change it he is free to do so, as long as he has not taken someone previously selected.

The pick is:

Bruce Matthews OG Houston Oilers

He had already picked a QB and a defender, so I gave him someone to protect his Joe Montana selection.

Archived