THE BROWNS BOARD

Kizer to start third preseason game

Tim Couch Pulls Out

I'm pleasantly surprised! 

Edit - seems this is just for TB but in previous interviews I'm sure he's said the QB that starts the third pre season game is the one that starts week one. 

Confused...

I'm sure he hates to have to do it - but Kessler has limited skills throwing the ball, and Os, well...

is Os. It was WISER to have drafted KISER !

2 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

The official statement just says he's the "starter for this week." I was under the inpression Hue was going to tab the starter for good today. 

Yes the wording is suspect makes me wonder if Kizer bombs with the 1s against Tampa if he goes to Brock, sounds like this is an audition if he plays well he starts week one, he struggles then its Brock.

normally i'd be against throwing a rookie QB out there too fast as the Browns have done so many times in the past, but Kizer seems like the best option  moving forward.  Osweiler is an interception machine and Kessler does not have as high a ceiling as Kizer does.  Let's see what Kizer can do and hopefully he wins the starting job for the regular season as well.

17 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

The official statement just says he's the "starter for this week." I was under the inpression Hue was going to tab the starter for good today. 

Yeah, that's what he said in the press conference yesterday.  He was naming his starter, he was confident in how he was feeling about it, etc.  Just had to check the tape and all was good.  Didn't want to drag the decision out any longer.

I'm happy Kizer will be starting the dress rehearsal game and it finally seems like the right decision is being made.  The wording is a little on the wishy-washy side however.

23 minutes ago, Mr. Make-Believe said:

Yeah, that's what he said in the press conference yesterday.  He was naming his starter, he was confident in how he was feeling about it, etc.  Just had to check the tape and all was good.  Didn't want to drag the decision out any longer.

I'm happy Kizer will be starting the dress rehearsal game and it finally seems like the right decision is being made.  The wording is a little on the wishy-washy side however.

He also said week 3 starter will most likely be game 1 starter. 

Definitely don't want a 21yr old rook to start opening day in a normal season, on a normal team..... but this is the Browns. 

Hopefully the dude stays healthy and takes every single snap this season.... Hue better put the read option part of the playbook in the trash. I'm realistic on my expectations for the season regarding win totals and I have to admit, it should be fun watching Kizer's play and growth. 

Careful what you wish for DeShone - you just might get it. 

Likely is a long way from naming the Week 1 starter...

1 hour ago, Ibleedbrown said:

My impression as well... very important distinction.

Appears to be Kizer's job to lose now.

35 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Likely is a long way from naming the Week 1 starter

I watched one of Hue's recent press conferences on YT, and he was asked point blank if "whoever starts game 3 should be assumed the opening day starter" and he didn't flinch saying "yes, that would a good assumption".

^ or something very close to the above anyway. 

I personally do not think this kid is ready to start, but I guess feeding him to the wolves is one way to see what he has.  I think that he may get devoured, but hopefully not.  Maybe he will be the Lycanthrope of the pack.

But...if he does not work out...the Browns still have those two first round draft picks...and many others to use next year.  If at first you don't succeed, try try again.

Kizer is garbage.. He looked worse than AssOiler.. He looked lost and confused.. And stares down his WR's bad.. He has 0 clue on how to read defense.. Only the Browns would be satisfied with garbage like this.

For those of you who have not heard Brock speak in his press conferences, he's a very likable dude.......... Just wished he played as well as he spoke. 

“This morning, I informed our quarterbacks that DeShone will be our starter for the third preseason game against Tampa. He has made a lot of progress by investing the time necessary to learn our offense, working hard to improve on his fundamentals while also effectively moving the offense in preseason games. Development is so important for a young quarterback, this is the next step he needs to take and he deserves this opportunity. We are very excited about seeing DeShone in the role of starter for this week, as he is certainly positioning himself well to earn the starting job heading into the regular season."-Hue Jackson

2 hours ago, nickers said:

Kizer is garbage.. He looked worse than AssOiler.. He looked lost and confused.. And stares down his WR's bad.. He has 0 clue on how to read defense.. Only the Browns would be satisfied with garbage like this.

What game were you watching? Yeah, he got called for delay- but Hue was running a Chinese Fire Drill offense too. Regarding the Ostrich, if Kizer is garbage, then Brock is a pile of it that someone set on fire in a dumpster. Seriously- the guy is about the most inaccurate passer I've ever seen- and at this point in his career, he's not going to improve that much if at all. Willing to bet if (as I suspect ) the Browns cut him- he won't get picked up until another team's QB gets hurt. Look for Brock to start week 4 of the preseason, and if he plays as poorly as he has in weeks 1 & 2, he's gone. Not playing him at all week 3 tells me the handwriting is on the wall. 

2 hours ago, boo fagley said:

Exactly

I wish that Kizer would sit a while and learn the ropes, but the Browns also need to see if they need a QB next draft. The Browns cant lose either way.

Ditto, Boo.   

nobody that likes Kizer should want him to be the opening day starter. Nobody. We've done this how many times? That kid is not going to be really ready for months. He's just not. He's struggling with simple preseason defensive sets, what's going to happen in Pgh in a couple weeks when they blitz his shit every down? And our o line jesus fuck, again.....offensively nothings changed from last season. 

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

What game were you watching? Yeah, he got called for delay- but Hue was running a Chinese Fire Drill offense too. Regarding the Ostrich, if Kizer is garbage, then Brock is a pile of it that someone set on fire in a dumpster. Seriously- the guy is about the most inaccurate passer I've ever seen- and at this point in his career, he's not going to improve that much if at all. Willing to bet if (as I suspect ) the Browns cut him- he won't get picked up until another team's QB gets hurt. Look for Brock to start week 4 of the preseason, and if he plays as poorly as he has in weeks 1 & 2, he's gone. Not playing him at all week 3 tells me the handwriting is on the wall. 

Ditto, Boo.   

I was there, Larry... He holds the ball too long.. He looks confused going through his reads.. He looked as bad as Brock to my eyes.. theyre both garbage..

13 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

nobody that likes Kizer should want him to be the opening day starter. Nobody. We've done this how many times? That kid is not going to be really ready for months. He's just not. He's struggling with simple preseason defensive sets, what's going to happen in Pgh in a couple weeks when they blitz his shit every down? And our o line jesus fuck, again.....offensively nothings changed from last season. 

To be fair he's actually been decent when pressured.  PFF had him with a 100 passer rating when pressured.  Well above average.  His sacks are just that, sacks.  Every QB gets them, no surprise a rookie would as well.

Also, it should be pointed out that with the new CBA rules, Kizer would be learning more in the game than sitting on the bench, where he would be receiving basically zero reps.  

In fact just being the starter from now until week 1, he would learn and advance farther than he would be sitting on the bench for the entire season, I'd wager.   

Let's not forget Jameis Winston was also 21 when he threw for 4000 yds as a rookie.  He also threw a bunch of INTs that year but look where he is right now.

If things go worse for Kizer than they did for Jameis then at least we know what we have in him and can go after a number of studs in the upcoming draft.

3 minutes ago, boo fagley said:

I love what the front office has done.

The Browns are building something. The Browns Super Bowl is beating Pittsburgh at home.

The Browns Super Bowl is the Super Bowl, Bichtits.

Zombo

Rookie QB"s had a field day against the Squealers D last season, just sayin.

Archived