THE BROWNS BOARD

Cam Erving disses Browns

The Gipper

Just now, The Gipper said:

Besides Alex Mack.....who was outstanding when he played here....can you name one player who was let go/traded by the Browns  over say the past 10 years because they just didn't cut the mustard...who went on to play extremely well elsewhere?

(by this I mean cut, let go somehow.....We have lost FAs like Mack, TJ Ward etc. so I don't mean them.)

Nope...not a one. 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Besides Alex Mack.....who was outstanding when he played here....can you name one player who was let go/traded by the Browns  over say the past 10 years because they just didn't cut the mustard...who went on to play extremely well elsewhere?

(by this I mean cut, let go somehow.....We have lost FAs like Mack, TJ Ward etc. so I don't mean them.)

Though there were a bunch that went on to have long undistinguished careers. Jeff Faine, "Spare Change" Warren, Cam Wimbley.  PGs fave Colt McCoy is still hanging on as a backup.  But super-dooper? You got it- Mack & Ward. Ward was the only one we could have kept, but the FO dropped the ball on that one. 

1 minute ago, hoorta said:

Though there were a bunch that went on to have long undistinguished careers. Jeff Faine, "Spare Change" Warren, Cam Wimbley.  PGs fave Colt McCoy is still hanging on as a backup.  But super-dooper? You got it- Mack & Ward. Ward was the only one we could have kept, but the FO dropped the ball on that one. 

Colt is having a great career as a backup QB.  The perfect position for him.  He's a smart guy who keeps his mouth shut and knows his role as the backup.  There's good money in being the backup QB, look how long some of those guys hang on as backups.

5 minutes ago, Mark O said:

Colt is having a great career as a backup QB.  The perfect position for him.  He's a smart guy who keeps his mouth shut and knows his role as the backup.  There's good money in being the backup QB, look how long some of those guys hang on as backups.

Well, lets call it a career....not necessarily a "great" career.  Is it better than digging ditches or selling insurance? Sure.  And sure, absolutely good money.  But again, the standard I asked for is "played well".  Colt hasn't played well...he has hardly played at all.  Warren, Wimbley etc. played some, but not well. 

I guess we can ask a "trivia" question over this as one way to quantify it.:  Since 2000, has any player drafted by the Cleveland Browns ever made the Pro Bowl with another team...who did not leave here as a FA?

Actually.....I will answer my own question.

The only players drafted by the Browns since 1999 to make a Pro Bowl with another team are:

1. Alex Mack   2016 PB with the Falcons

2. TJ Ward 2014/15  PB with Broncos

and.....

3. DQwell Jackson 2014 Pro Bowl with the Colts. 

So....I would say that DQJ is the ONLY guy that might fit this category.  And I don't know who he was fooling in 2014 such that he made the PB.  I guess, just like here, he made a lot of tackles.  But here they were too little too late.  Always 5-10 yards downfield.  No one who has ever seen him would confuse him with guys that stuff the hole like a Butkus, Lewis, Lambert etc.

Hell, right now what I have seen of Joe Schobert doing what he has done in preseason gives me greater optimism than anything I ever saw fro DQJ.

But...I guess you can say that there was perhaps ONE guy.  (and FYI....it was the only PB he ever made....none with the Browns. I think the big thing is that he did have a fumble recovery for a TD that year...the only one of his career.   He even had years with the Browns where he made more tackles...but did not make the PB)

26 minutes ago, Mark O said:

:) My niece's cousin Jason Trusnik (you may remember him- played for a year with the Browns)  had a long (10 year)  undistinguished  career as a special teamer. Sarah told me Jason has been very careful with his money. He's in his mid-30s, and set for life.  LOL- I saw Jason at Sarah's wedding, and believe me, it was all I could do to restrain myself from asking him about the inside dope on the Richie Incognito affair (Trusnik was playing ST for the 'Fins at the time).  

Archived