THE BROWNS BOARD

Garrett Hurt Already

TopDawg31

If u told me the #1 pick was on the defense somewhere and the first game i watched was garrets first game against the jets....it would have taken me all of one play. But if i had to sit back and watch a series of games and decipher who the #1 pick was..........i would still pen garrett after collins, obviously. When ur someone who has an eye for o line/ d line dynamics....u know that garrett, while not absolutely dominating games....is prob the 2nd or 3rd best player on the defense alongside kirksey. Thats not based on just stats...thats wayching a player " do his job" which sometimes means camping the edge instead of just blindly rushing the qb. 

EVERYONE here that knows football is mildly encouraged by garretts play even while injured. 

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

If u told me the #1 pick was on the defense somewhere and the first game i watched was garrets first game against the jets....it would have taken me all of one play. But if i had to sit back and watch a series of games and decipher who the #1 pick was..........i would still pen garrett after collins, obviously. When ur someone who has an eye for o line/ d line dynamics....u know that garrett, while not absolutely dominating games....is prob the 2nd or 3rd best player on the defense alongside kirksey. Thats not based on just stats...thats wayching a player " do his job" which sometimes means camping the edge instead of just blindly rushing the qb. 

EVERYONE here that knows football is mildly encouraged by garretts play even while injured. 

Some day may I know football as much as some here think they do...... one can only dream. 

Aw D... you know enough football. It's just that now it's hidden behind a growing mountain of cynicism...

3 hours ago, TopDawg31 said:

when Dorsey said the previous regime didn't get real players, I'm sure as h e l l he was referring to Garrett as one of the not real players.

No, you aren't... you're just talking out of your a$$. I can tell from the smell.

2 hours ago, TopDawg31 said:

Sashi caved to media build up of Garrett instead of doing his own homework. If he had half a brain he would of recognized that he should have taken Watson one overall , we all would have said WTF to that pick , but that's how good GMs make a living. Not going after the once in a generation, can't miss, oh who the f u c k ever came up with that b u l l s h I t anyway?

Let's go to the scoreboard...

On 3/26/2017 at 3:20 PM, TopDawg31 said:

I have to admit if I didn't know Trubisky from the time he was 6yrs old I would be all for Watson based on his overall production and what he did against Bama the last 2 years. Watching Trubisky grow up, myself and the Mentor sports community knew this kid would be special. The homer in me says we need to do whatever it takes to get him. I would love to take Garrett then move back up to get Trubisky because I don't think he will make it to 12.

Oops.... I guess you were talking Watson #1 overall in Round 2?

3 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

D Bone, it isn't a matter of is he old enough...............it is that he is not intelligent enough to know the difference between a monster of the midway, and a phony, overhyped Zumba instructor.

These asstards just can't face reality. Garrett is performing exactly as I said he would, but instead of people saying, " fukck Ghoolie, you were right again, they instead create a fantasy in which they believe the reason I am right is because Garrett is hurt and not 100%. Even if he is at 50%, he sucks caulk. The worst waste of a #1 #1 pick in the history of the NFL.

Watched him today, he can't beat double and triple teams...  

25 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Aw D... you know enough football. It's just that now it's hidden behind a growing mountain of cynicism...

No argument there T...... I reached my breaking point for sure. Hell, I never even knew I had a breaking point regarding the Browns, and if I'm being honest, my apathy has me a bit worried that soon I won't even have that, as I will be 100% gone. 1/2 of me (at least) kind of hopes that I simply fade away, as it would be soooo much easier to enjoy the game.

This v2.0 organization doesn't deserve my loyalty or fandom, especially under the current ownership...... That schit has to be earned and going 1-31 over the last 2yrs, and 5-48 since that Thursday night in November of 2014 when we thumped the Bungles to go 7-3. 

5-48 since 11/6/2014 well on our way to 5-50 and God only knows how much more losing is really in store for us ......... I can't even fathom that being possible, but yet here we are.

So yep T, I guess my cynicism has grown to unprecedented levels, but after all I did just turn 50, so....................... GET OFF MY LAWN! 

11 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

Nailed it. He's been a good player, just not great yet. Been a step away from multiple sacks, and those will eventually start to happen. He's terrific against the run, and I saw him pulling some double teams yesterday. Do I want more? Of course. But he's playing just fine. 

2 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Nailed it. He's been a good player, just not great yet. Been a step away from multiple sacks, and those will eventually start to happen. He's terrific against the run, and I saw him pulling some double teams yesterday. Do I want more? Of course. But he's playing just fine. 

He is enough of a force that he has been switching to multiple positions throughout the game. And every QB is paying close attention to exactly where he is in the line. Flacco was clearly eyeing him and aware of where he was on the field throughout every play, which led to several forced throws just before arrival time. Go back and watch the game closely and you will see what I mean on both accounts.

EDIT: And I've been very clear about this all along. What makes Von Miller so effective is having a near equal force coming from the other side. When he had Ware is when they won the Superbowl. There has been a dropoff in his effectiveness after Ware retired and far more double teams/chips since that time as well. Is Garrett up to Miller's level yet? Of course not. But neither was Miller his first couple of years as he was leaning new ways to make himself the force that he is. Bosa is lucky he has one of those equal force players with him now. Get one for Garrett and everything changes. Anyone who truly understands defense understands exactly what I'm talking about. One man can effectively be neutralized by a good OC with a very good QB, but it is far more difficult trying to do that against two at the same time. Ask any OC who had to gameplan Miller/Ware.

12 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

What makes Von Miller so effective is having a near equal force coming from the other side.

True, but the top DL prospects this year are Chubb and Vea -- and neither are at the level of Garrett or Shelton respectively.  Chubb would have been in the mix for the #2 rank behind Garrett if he came out last season.  So we'll have to wait a season for the "other" side.. And Ogbah is no slouch.. Many NFL defenses are doing a lot worse than a healthy garrett and a healthy ogbah.. And remember that the primary backup to our starters this season at nearly every position is far better than the past....

22 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

True, but the top DL prospects this year are Chubb and Vea -- and neither are at the level of Garrett or Shelton respectively.  Chubb would have been in the mix for the #2 rank behind Garrett if he came out last season.  So we'll have to wait a season for the "other" side.. And Ogbah is no slouch.. Many NFL defenses are doing a lot worse than a healthy garrett and a healthy ogbah.. And remember that the primary backup to our starters this season at nearly every position is far better than the past....

True, but are there any out there in FA which is the way Denver acquired Ware?

11 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

True, but are there any out there in FA which is the way Denver acquired Ware?

Not unless the stars don't tag DeMarcus Lawrence.  I looked thru the list of all 2018 FA's listed as either DL or OLB.

Ansah and Jernigan - signed. Sheldon Richardson is underwhelming but will probably be re-signed by Seattle because they traded picks for him.

If Junior Gallette is the answer, "setting the edge in the run game" is not the question.. He's a situational pass-rusher looking for a deal at age 30 with not one but two recent season-ending Achilles' injuries.

Lotulelei will be available as an expensive backup to Trevon Coley.

Sharif Floyd's knee will end his career..

What's next? Thomas Davis who's old and makes up for it by being slow and a headhunter? No thanks, I'm looking for people who are measurably better than players we already have.  No benefit to results to bring in anyone who's a duplicate of our current players at 10x the salary..

5 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

Not unless the stars don't tag DeMarcus Lawrence.  I looked thru the list of all 2018 FA's..

Ansah and Jernigan - signed. Sheldon Richardson is underwhelming but will probably be re-signed by Seattle because they traded picks for him.

If Junior Gallette is the answer, "setting the edge in the run game" is not the question.. He's a situational pass-rusher looking for a deal at age 30 with not one but two recent season-ending Achilles' injuries.

Lotulelei will be available as an expensive backup to Trevon Coley.

Sharif Floyd's knee will end his career..

Then we might have to go the bullrushing DT route to twin Shelton so at least we have more than one true pass rushing force to deal with. Can't defend 3 at a time.

6 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Then we might have to go the bullrushing DT route to twin Shelton so at least we have more than one true pass rushing force to deal with. Can't defend 3 at a time.

OK, but there is nobody available in either the draft or FA who fits that description.  Vita Vea is strong and willing but is just a run-stopper.. Even our beloved Sam Hubbard is a round 2-4 career backup projection. Payne? Maybe, but will be a rookie.

12 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

Nassib played well at the edge too but he just gets no pressure whatsoever. 

Really played well at the edge. And while it was after Flacco had stepped up into the pocket, Carl laid the hit of the day on Joe.

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

EDIT: And I've been very clear about this all along. What makes Von Miller so effective is having a near equal force coming from the other side.

Hard to think of a "1a" sack artist who did not have a "1b" somewhere else in the front seven.

19 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

Lynch is  a talented athlete. Garrett is the biggest joke of a #1 #1 ever

Are you talking  Bobby or Myles?   

(and you actually may be right about Bobby):   Browns choice with the #1 overall pick in 1954:

Robert Driscoll "Bobby" Garrett (August 16, 1932 – 5 December 1987) was an American football quarterback who played one season in the National Football League.

Born in Los Angeles, California, Garrett was an All-American quarterback at Stanford University, where he also starred as a defensive back. In 1953, he became the third person to receive the W.J. Voit Memorial Trophy as the outstanding football player on the Pacific Coast. After he was named most valuable player of the Hula Bowl, he was drafted by theCleveland Browns as the first overall selection in the 1954 NFL Draft. The Browns had needed someone to take over for the veteran Otto Graham, but they soon discovered that Garrett had a liability as a quarterback: he stuttered, which made calling plays difficult.[2]

Garrett never played a game for the Browns, who traded him along with halfback Don Miller and linemen Johnny Bauer and Chet Gierula to the Green Bay Packers for quarterbackBabe Parilli and offensive tackle Bob Fleck. The Packers wanted a backup for veteran Tobin Rote, but did not learn of Garrett's stuttering problem before making the trade. Garrett played just nine games in the NFL.[3]

I had high hopes that Ogbah would be 'that guy" before the season started. In fact I stated that I thought Garrett would draw so much attention that Ogbah would end up leading the team in sacks. But then Garrett was out and had barely come back before Ogbah was lost for the season. Only the Browns have this kind of luck. Add Collins to the mix and down we went.

Injuries are going to happen. You need more depth in order to compete later in the season. And depth is something we seem to lack, year in an out. And that's pretty much why teams go for the best player no matter his position. After addressing the QB, I'm hoping we do something similar. Maybe get a bona fide playmaker or 2 doing that. Depth? Playmakers? Talent?.....(sigh), Dorsey's right

What a surprise the Can't miss, Once in a generation, China Doll didn't make the Pro Bowl, what a waste.

3 minutes ago, SD_Tom said:

You like Wilkins from Clemson at all?

Funny you ask - saw his video tab vs Auburn pop up while watching Mo Hurst and my ADD kicked in.  Paused 'Mo to see what all the hype was about.     I'm going to watch more but for all these Clemson fans making Wilkins sound like the next Gerald McCoy... he sure as hell didn't look the part.  

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

Funny you ask - saw his video tab vs Auburn pop up while watching Mo Hurst and my ADD kicked in.  Paused 'Mo to see what all the hype was about.     I'm going to watch more but for all these Clemson fans making Wilkins sound like the next Gerald McCoy... he sure as hell didn't look the part.  

Haven't seen Clemson at all since last year's playoffs, but remember his name being called quite a bit. He won DLOTY, so he's gotta be doing something right. 

Archived