THE BROWNS BOARD

8 Drops in one game

jcam222

On 9/26/2017 at 9:06 AM, WarriorsRpussies said:

Also why the fuck are we throwing the ball 50 times a game, like WTF!

Penalties+underwhelming run game+dropped passes=3 and long and a stagnant offense. I don't know the numbers, but I'd be willing to bet that the Browns average yards to gain on 3rd down is worst in the league. Add in the fact that the Browns haven't held a lead all season.... teams that are always playing from behind and can't stay on schedule offensively rarely run the ball. 

At at this point we can only hope that the youngest team in the league can grow up a bit as the season wears on. 

Edit: https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/third-down-conversion-pct

Cleveland is 31st in 3rd down conversion % at 27% a figure that is almost 10 percentage points lower than last years team. this team will struggle until they find a way to limit the self-inflicted wounds. 

7 hours ago, RoyceRolls said:

Penalties+underwhelming run game+dropped passes=3 and long and a stagnant offense. I don't know the numbers, but I'd be willing to bet that the Browns average yards to gain on 3rd down is worst in the league. Add in the fact that the Browns haven't held a lead all season.... teams that are always playing from behind and can't stay on schedule offensively rarely run the ball. 

At at this point we can only hope that the youngest team in the league can grow up a bit as the season wears on. 

Edit: https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/third-down-conversion-pct

Cleveland is 31st in 3rd down conversion % at 27% a figure that is almost 10 percentage points lower than last years team. this team will struggle until they find a way to limit the self-inflicted wounds. 

And yet, to me, still....the reason the Browns lost that game was because of their poor defensive coverage of T.Y. Hilton.

On 9/25/2017 at 3:26 PM, jcam222 said:

Is this on our receivers?  Are they literally the least competent in all the NFL?? Is this the case or does Kizer not throw a "catchable ball"? I will say he seems to throw the short passes like they are meant to penetrate concrete. What say you experts? 

I've been leaning toward blaming Kizer somehow and perhaps him not throwing a catchable ball ... that is until I attended a high school game last night that had a mammoth QB at the helm. This kid was one of the biggest, broadest kids on the field on either side of the ball and he played QB. He threw 90% of his passes with no touch on the ball. After being off the mark on his first few throws (each time I've watched him play), he threw a few receivers open and he threw many hard passes with the nose down that receivers went down and stabbed. My point is, that this HUGE QB hasn't fully honed his touch yet and these little dime-a-dozen 155-lb WR's who might play in a few backyard Turkey Bowls with their neighborhood friends after high school, adapted to one another, so I'm off the "catchable ball" whitchhunt.

I believe it's a mentality. I just read in another thread where a couple of posters here were mocking if Jim Brown could play in this era. They sighted his size and the size of would-be tacklers of the era. What they failed to measure was Jim Browns heart and determination. A stat and measure not even worth dissecting with this current Browns franchise since their return in 1999. It is a lack on concentration, a lack of pride, a lack of accountability, a lack of leadership. What would Manning do with such drops in a game? What would Farve do? What would Belichick do? ... there's your answer. High School kids have more pride.

Just review the 2nd half offensive possessions of Colts game..The best coach/QB teaching moments of season..Deep ball has touch with elevation. Kizer issue comes on short routes, holding ball till creating death grip on ball to protect..comes out flat with no touch like throwing a dart at a balloon board 50 mph..Hue forced Kizer on one play just to throw a lolly-pop bubble screen to sideline just to settle down his accuracy..Does the 2nd Half team show up 4 quarters this week? To the Bunch that are going to game this week..EnJoy!!Be Loud!! Get Some & Get a Win!!     

22 hours ago, The Gipper said:

And yet, to me, still....the reason the Browns lost that game was because of their poor defensive coverage of T.Y. Hilton.

No arguments here, the first half defense of the Browns was an embarrassment. I'm glad they made the proper adjustments at the half, but it was too late by then. 

They've still had a chance to win each game so far, which is amazing considering they've looked like garbage. Kizer was never close to being ready, and he'll get much better as the year progresses, but why on earth is he throwing the ball 40+ times a game? There is no "commitment to run the ball" as Hue promised. Add in the fact that penalties and drops often kill any early momentum, and it's not looking good for them unless something changes.

Nobody expected a playoff team this year, but it's been brutal to watch an entire WR roster drop pass after pass, or get flagged every other play

35 minutes ago, SD_Tom said:

They've still had a chance to win each game so far, which is amazing considering they've looked like garbage. Kizer was never close to being ready, and he'll get much better as the year progresses, but why on earth is he throwing the ball 40+ times a game? There is no "commitment to run the ball" as Hue promised. Add in the fact that penalties and drops often kill any early momentum, and it's not looking good for them unless something changes.

Nobody expected a playoff team this year, but it's been brutal to watch an entire WR roster drop pass after pass, or get flagged every other play

Four offensive pass interference penalties in one game was almost impressive, in a sadistic way.

39 minutes ago, SD_Tom said:

They've still had a chance to win each game so far, which is amazing considering they've looked like garbage. every other play

Interesting stat.....They haven't even had the lead in a game yet......not once.....at this time last year, that 1-15 team had already lead 5 times....

6 minutes ago, Mudfly said:

Interesting stat.....They haven't even had the lead in a game yet......not once.....at this time last year, that 1-15 team had already lead 5 times....

Ugh ... didn't realize that ... speechless.

The NFL isn't THAT great. No one is THAT dominate. No Division is not THAT dominate. Our Division is not THAT dominate. Our Schedule is not THAT dominate. 

3 hours ago, ATENEARS said:

I've been leaning toward blaming Kizer somehow and perhaps him not throwing a catchable ball ... that is until I attended a high school game last night that had a mammoth QB at the helm. This kid was one of the biggest, broadest kids on the field on either side of the ball and he played QB. He threw 90% of his passes with no touch on the ball. After being off the mark on his first few throws (each time I've watched him play), he threw a few receivers open and he threw many hard passes with the nose down that receivers went down and stabbed. My point is, that this HUGE QB hasn't fully honed his touch yet and these little dime-a-dozen 155-lb WR's who might play in a few backyard Turkey Bowls with their neighborhood friends after high school, adapted to one another, so I'm off the "catchable ball" whitchhunt.

I believe it's a mentality. I just read in another thread where a couple of posters here were mocking if Jim Brown could play in this era. They sighted his size and the size of would-be tacklers of the era. What they failed to measure was Jim Browns heart and determination. A stat and measure not even worth dissecting with this current Browns franchise since their return in 1999. It is a lack on concentration, a lack of pride, a lack of accountability, a lack of leadership. What would Manning do with such drops in a game? What would Farve do? What would Belichick do? ... there's your answer. High School kids have more pride.

Besides....look at Jim Browns size:  6'2   232 lbs.   Bigger than most RBs that play today.  Jim Brown could play and dominate in this area....for the reasons you mention and not just his measurements.

45 minutes ago, ATENEARS said:

Ugh ... didn't realize that ... speechless.

The NFL isn't THAT great. No one is THAT dominate. No Division is not THAT dominate. Our Division is not THAT dominate. Our Schedule is not THAT dominate. 

Agree....this division is not that good.  I mean, clearly....when we have 2 0-3 teams in it.  Plus....a 44-7 loss to the Jags?  And a loss to the Bears?  Someone will win it....maybe the winner of the game Sunday Rats vs. Squibs.......but that won't mean much in the long hall..  Do not see more than one team coming out of the AFCN.

24 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

The "Back In My Day" game is strong today.

You know what the #1 reason the Browns have been miserable since '99? It isn't a lack of heart, determination, effort, or pride.

It's a lack of talent.

And wasting draft picks continuously on major, major busts....which, of course is one of the sources of your point as to why this team has had no talent.

And to supplement...I DO think we have had some very poor coaching of the talent we had.  Bad talent+ bad coaching +  suckage.

8 drops in one game just reminds me of 8 heads in a duffel bag......funny Pesci movie, not funny on the field D'OH. :o

Archived