THE BROWNS BOARD

8 Drops in one game

jcam222

YAWN......................We could have Julio Jones, Wenz, and other play makers, Instead we have Kizer the dildo, cripple hands Coleman, RIcky Ricardo and guys who are even worse. LMAO.

3 hours ago, jcam222 said:

Is this on our receivers?  Are they literally the least competent in all the NFL?? Is this the case or does Kizer not throw a "catchable ball"? I will say he seems to throw the short passes like they are meant to penetrate concrete. What say you experts? 

It's on the receivers AND the QB......terrible passes and terrible catch attempts.....and true team effort there

46 minutes ago, Mudfly said:

It's on the receivers AND the QB......terrible passes and terrible catch attempts.....and true team effort there

Well...now look at your statement.  If the receivers drop passed right in their hands...not sure that is on the QB.  Now....Kizer had his fair share of bad throws....but those were passes that the receivers could never have been in position to drop, so I don't think they would be counted as drops.   Maybe 1 or two throws were ones that were like behind the receivers, but they got hands on them....that would have been miracles if they were caught.  But I would say of the 8....at least 7 of them were just flubs by the butterfingers.

Yeah some of those passes were obviously on kizer. But the majority of the drops were literally catches high school kids are making every friday night. They werent even like easy passes with some diesel lb'er ir free safety homing in....they were non duress drops. Even some of the not so ideal balls, get caught on other teams. I just dont understand.

I see receivers not knowing how to catch. They rarely come back to the ball and even more rarely extend their arms outwards to snatch it before defenders can get a hand on it. And they just plain drop it. For a team that drafted 4 in one draft, we've obviously chosen poorly or we are obviously coaching poorly or both.

47 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I see receivers not knowing how to catch. They rarely come back to the ball and even more rarely extend their arms outwards to snatch it before defenders can get a hand on it. And they just plain drop it. For a team that drafted 4 in one draft, we've obviously chosen poorly or we are obviously coaching poorly or both.

I say....both

12 hours ago, Mudfly said:

Bad WRs and rookie QB play. I am concerned for next year if we can't properly evaluate Kizer because of poor WR play this year. It may make the front office consider passing on a good QB option at the top of the draft. 

Mostly on the WRs. Louis dropped a pass that my 6 year old nephew would have made. Yes Kizer is missing on a few throws but his a rookie QB thats expected, but when you have shitheads like "Butterfinger Britt" dropping balls left and right, that does Kizer no favors. Also why the fuck are we throwing the ball 50 times a game, like WTF!

15 hours ago, Mudfly said:

Trust me, I'm not disagreeing with you. But I can't imagine how demoralizing it is as a rookie QB to put the ball in the basket that many times to see your dudes not catching the ball. That type of shit can easily get to the head of a seasoned pro, yet alone a 21 year old rookie. 

16 hours ago, Mudfly said:

Simply put....Kizer is not throwing ideal - easy to catch - passes....the ball is consistently flying over their heads, in the dirt and behind them.....

This...

Have there been drops? Hell, yes... I'd be willing to bet that every WR that has stepped foot on the field has at least one "throw-is-right-between-my-numbers-so-I'll-look-away-for-contact-just-before-the-ball-hits-my-hands" drop... and Britt may have had one per game. But...

Kizer's go-to throw is the one that is as hard and flat as possible... and he has a serious gun. Not only does that make his passes less catchable simply form a velocity standpoint, but it also makes them less accurate... or at least I think it does. And the faster an inaccurate ball is coming at a WR the less time that WR has to adjust to the ball. Something that is as true for a 40-yd bomb as it is a 7-yd comeback. It's that combination of speed and inaccuracy that makes catching him such a challenge for a WR.

But there may be hope... among a couple things I think I saw on an upswing at Indy... something I'll look to verify this week... may be the emergence of some touch. I actually found myself on a late swingpass to the far sideline saying "throw it quicker". Kizer definitiely took something off that throw and it was "right between the numbers"... and caught.

One last thought... while we are counting drops, let's also count diving, jumping, twisting catches... ones you can argue should be made by a pro WR, but ones nevertheless that bail out a QB's less than perfect work...

11 hours ago, domcucch1994 said:

Saquon Barkley is who we need to get this run game out the shitter

He is an amazing talent. No doubt.

But I can't see using the Browns top pick - which most of us would agree will be another top 5 pick - on ANY RB. And for a team that is so analytic-driven, I have a hard time believing they would either.

13 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

But I can't see using the Browns top pick - which most of us would agree will be another top 5 pick - on ANY RB. And for a team that is so analytic-driven, I have a hard time believing they would either.

Our run game is in the shitter. 
Now I know many of you remember Trent Richardson so I can see the concern..
This Barkley cat will probably go top 10, maybe even top 5.

But when is the last time we had a game changer at RB? Jamal Lewis? Jerome Harrison? 

Im talking a game changer... It's been about 25+ years..

Having a solid run game will take pressure off of Kizer, set up play action, and give him another weapon to go to.

It's not everyday, 230 lb running backs, with 4.3 speed, come out of college.. This kid is special. 

15 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

If it is analytic driven...then I CAN very well believe that they would draft Barkley.  If  the analytics definitely point to him being a top asset, you better ass believe that our FO would consider him.

I just would hope that he would not become like so many other top Penn St. RBs.   For a while there several were being picked high in the draft:  Curtis Enis, Blair Thomas, Kijana Carter.  All complete busts.   But if he turned out to be like Lydell Mitchell or Franco Harris (without the cowardly running out of bounds constantly for which Jim Brown criticized him).  That would be OK.

Would not many look at him like another Ezekiel Elliott? 

There was one guy...Booger McFarland who said the Barkley is the best RB prospect to come along since Barry Sanders. 

2 hours ago, domcucch1994 said:

Our run game is in the shitter. 
Now I know many of you remember Trent Richardson so I can see the concern..
This Barkley cat will probably go top 10, maybe even top 5.

But when is the last time we had a game changer at RB? Jamal Lewis? Jerome Harrison? 

Im talking a game changer... It's been about 25+ years..

Having a solid run game will take pressure off of Kizer, set up play action, and give him another weapon to go to.

It's not everyday, 230 lb running backs, with 4.3 speed, come out of college.. This kid is special. 

Ezekiel Elliott.  Adrian Peterson?  Err, you mean the Browns?  Probably Lewis.

I think one of the more frustrating aspects of the receivers is that our front office didn't figure out a way to really help our young QB out, and that's a shame.  Obviously nobody thought Coleman would be out so early, but how many people in this chat room harped on the sad state of our WR crew?  So many people knew we'd struggle catching the ball, and we were force-fed multiple stories about Ricardo Louis being a threat, and how he's "turned the corner", and how he looks like a different player...just enough.  We can't catch the ball, and we certainly can't catch a ball that's not perfectly thrown.  Other than Duke, Leslie, and Britt (somehow), we haven't made the tough catches, and that's EXACTLY what we HAVE to do in order to move the damn chains.  

Now, I WILL say that at least the WR's got open, and that's no small feat.  I was seriously worried that our guys wouldn't get open all year, and our poor QB would be stuck trying to find the smallest of the small windows.  That doesn't seem to be the case anymore, and as I watched the game again (ouch) I continuously noticed our guys actually getting....OPEN.  The real killer was when Kizer screwed up in the red zone and threw the out instead of the inside pattern because once again, our guy was open.  First and goal at the 7 yard line...didn't happen.  And you know what?  GOD FORBID some of these deflections hit the damn ground.  I know Britt could've caught that ball, but Jesus.  And the one against the Ravens that Weddle caught?  Gimme a break.  

Something else happened as I watched the game again, and that's how much better Deshone Kizer looked.  I'm NOT saying he looked "good" by ANY stretch of the imagination, but it wasn't as bad as it FELT like.  Some of his throws were excellent, as was his decision making during parts of the game.  Some of those slants to Duke Johnson were right on point, and he made a couple of beautiful deep passes too.  That one to Britt was PERFECT, and I'm still not sure why he went out of bounds.  He wouldn't have gone the distance, but it looked to me like he could've stayed in play.  That deep ball to Ricardo Louis was perfect as well, but obviously skillet hands dropped it like he normally does.  He probably would've been tackled when he caught it, but if he somehow shakes that one guy, he's gone.  Remember long touchdowns?  Neither do I.  

I thought some passes to Devalve were excellent, too.  I know he had a drop, and it's inexcusable, but Devalve continues to be solid.  And how about that looping pass to the open Njoku at the goal line?  Yeah he was open, but still...Kizer FINALLY didn't try to throw it too hard, and he put perfect touch on it.  I'm starting to see a LITTLE bit of finesse from Kizer, and that's a good thing.  I don't put any stock in the final interception Kizer threw, so his final day doesn't look too awful.  He really should've had just the one pick, and then his numbers would've looked decent.

What I want to talk about, and the reason we lost, are the drops and the penalties.  I realize the refs didn't do us any favors (shocking), but the offensive pass interference calls HAVE TO STOP.  I have NEVER, and I mean, NEVER seen that many calls in my LIFE.  It's unbelievable.  What's more, I've never seen THAT many drops AND that many pass interference calls COMBINED in 6 games, let alone just the last 4 quarters.  We need to surround Kizer with talent, and it's pathetic what we're doing to this guy.  Taylor Gabriel anyone?  Wouldn't HE look good?  

1 hour ago, jiggins7919 said:

Something else happened as I watched the game again, and that's how much better Deshone Kizer looked.

Saw the same thing live... more surveying, if not actual progressions... some touch here and there... a better "time to bail" clock. While still not the norm.... still not the go to modes... I saw more of them.

And that's a good thing.

#BabySteps

4 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Saw the same thing live... more surveying, if not actual progressions... some touch here and there... a better "time to bail" clock. While still not the norm.... still not the go to modes... I saw more of them.

And that's a good thing.

#BabySteps

Just watch the game for the last 12 minutes or so. I could see a QB really running an offense and trying to get us back in the game. Had we had a decent clock manager and a reasonable onside kick, this could have ended very differently.

7 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Just watch the game for the last 12 minutes or so. I could see a QB really running an offense and trying to get us back in the game. Had we had a decent clock manager and a reasonable onside kick, this could have ended very differently.

Yes, both onside kick attempts were pretty lame....and never had a chance to be successful.  Rookie kicker. Maybe like our other rookies we can hope he will get better.

8 hours ago, The Gipper said:

If it is analytic driven...then I CAN very well believe that they would draft Barkley.  If  the analytics definitely point to him being a top asset, you better ass believe that our FO would consider him.

I just would hope that he would not become like so many other top Penn St. RBs.   For a while there several were being picked high in the draft:  Curtis Enis, Blair Thomas, Kijana Carter.  All complete busts.   But if he turned out to be like Lydell Mitchell or Franco Harris (without the cowardly running out of bounds constantly for which Jim Brown criticized him).  That would be OK.

Would not many look at him like another Ezekiel Elliott? 

There was one guy...Booger McFarland who said the Barkley is the best RB prospect to come along since Barry Sanders. 

Analytics is about maximizing value.

Using a top 5 pick overall on the position with easily the shortest shelf life would in no way be an analytics-driven move.

9 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Booger McFarland is also the guy that told the football world that Garrett takes plays off..That's not a booger..That's a brain Cell..McFarland also played at Louisiana State..Your stooping to "The Waterboy" level with McFarland 

12 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Booger McFarland is also the guy that told the football world that Garrett takes plays off..That's not a booger..That's a brain Cell..McFarland also played at Louisiana State..Your stooping to "The Waterboy" level with McFarland 

Garrett did take plays off....in college.   That was accurate. And I will still reserve judgment on Garrett until he actually plays in some real NFL games...and not in preseason.

Archived