THE BROWNS BOARD

Wide Receiver Shopping

jcam222

We have got to do something to field more than a collection of practice squad guys. Target trading some of our lower to mid tier draft assets to secure:

Chargers Dontrelle Inman was being shopped in the preaseason. 

Cowboys Brice Butler. They have some depth and can likely afford to move him

Jordan Matthews with the Bills would make a good get as well. Even though they recently traded for him they are pretty much in burn it down mode.

Jarvis Landry is cleared of charges in domestic case, trade for him.

In a pipe dream world maybe flip Houston's picks back to them for Deandre Hopkins :)

Hell bring me Vincent Jackson from his rocking chair he has to be bored by now. Just give me something better than a BUG!!!!!!!

5 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

What is it you are trying to accomplish?

Putting someone on the field in the receiver position that is actually NFL capable. Seriously we have a pile of shit and a rookie QB throwing to them. I am not suggesting we give out high round picks but the current stable of receivers has to be upgraded period. 

8 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

let some younger receivers take up the most of the throws, bench britt. He just doesn't have it to catch the ball.

too bad, but it is what it is.

Totally on board with benching Britt. Having said that our "young guys" aren't NFL talents. We don't have an active receiver who can make the roster on any other team. 

Even with the best receivers in the world, it's still gonna take a QB that kind find them while they are open to make it work...

2 hours ago, jcam222 said:

Just give me something better than a BUG!!!!!!!

Your not getting any of those WR's..Ourlads & look at PS is about all you can get this time of year..#1.We are stuck with (1)Britt just like Bowe..trade deadline?nope..Britts in the line-up week 17...Ricardo Louis must go!! He gives us nothing weekly. Coats can't stay on the field (hammie)or is just to stupid as a steeler to learn a new playbook..(3)Kasen Williams is learning playbook & if we did not swoop him up Kasen was a WR3 behind TY Hilton & Moncrief as a Colt..Higgins was just bad at Colts, after meh at Ravens, after being told to hit pavement till Corey kissed pavement..(2)J. Leslie is in & should surpass Higgins..Does not sound like you ever saw Bug Howard play? Most liked Switzer but In 4 years at UNC, Bug played 53 games,146 catches with a recorded of 4 drops in 4 years with over 2000 yards & 18 TD's 6'4"(over 3 ft.vertical) 210lbs. with over 10" hands..Good luck finding that sitting on PS  

Look at Tom Brady and the receivers that he has. A QB makes the guys around him better.

Kizer makes our Oline look bad, our receivers look like they can't catch and our RBs like they can't run. They get no rhythm out there because everyone has to CATER to Kizer.

It's making our Coaching Staff look silly, like they cannot evaluate the talent they have on the roster.

They have an outstanding QB riding the bench while we lose games because our QB isn't ready to play in the NFL.

They have Scooby Wright III sitting on AZ's practice squad, a player we were interested in and developing and haven't went back and claimed him.

They had Terrel Pryor and let him walk, what's the difference in what Pryor brings to this team that Britt doesn't? 

They let our only quick twitch CB(Haden) walk straight onto Pittsburgh's sideline with ZERO compensation. 

I've been trying to give these guys the benefit of the doubt, but when they are NOT playing to win, that's where I draw the line. You play to win the game or it's time to find someone who will.

They let Haden and Pryor go so that they could pay Osweiler his 16 Million dollars and get a second round pick in return. That second round pick better be able to play both ways on the football field AND make a significant impact on the team for what he is costing us. 

For the ones making excuses for Kizer, at the least, I expect the same kind of treatment for Hogan when Kizer inevitably goes down for the count. Hogan threw 1 interception with 30 seconds left on the clock, trying to get into FG range before the half and our HC says "that's why he's the backup", are you kidding me? 

Makes me wonder why some people want Kizer to start so badly? Watching him- It's like watching a car accident and a train wreck having a baby- It's all bad. 

You know why it's all bad? Not because I don't want him to be the guy or any dumb bullshit like that. It's because he IS the single, most responsible reason for us being 0-3 right now. You know only 3 teams since 99 have started 0-3 and made the playoffs. Fuck that. Joe Thomas deserves to win. The Browns' Fans deserve to win. We can't win with Kizer right now. 

2 hours ago, jcam222 said:

We have got to do something to field more than a collection of practice squad guys. Target trading some of our lower to mid tier draft assets to secure:

Jordan Matthews with the Bills would make a good get as well. Even though they recently traded for him they are pretty much in burn it down mode.

In a pipe dream world maybe flip Houston's picks back to them for Deandre Hopkins :)

Hell bring me Vincent Jackson from his rocking chair he has to be bored by now. Just give me something better than a BUG!!!!!!!

Will you please shut the fuck up talking about our "draft assets. Before this Depo Sashit calamity came herw nobody ever utrered this fucking idiotic term.

The Browns pass on guys like Julio Jones,  let Pryor and Gordon fizzle away and dear a cunt like Coleman, and you think what? That we have available "ASSETS" to all of a sudden just fix the FO stupidity?

I got news for you sparky, they already have a lot of "Assets" tied up on the existing shitpile.

So...what we need is one of those sure handed slow white guys?  Brian Brennan, Wes Welker, Julian Edelman types?

And he don't have to be white.   Jordan Leslie could be that guy.  His one catch was something to behold.

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/9/24/16357784/jordan-leslie-browns-colts-odell-beckham-catch-wow

16 hours ago, jcam222 said:

Putting someone on the field in the receiver position that is actually NFL capable. Seriously we have a pile of shit and a rookie QB throwing to them. I am not suggesting we give out high round picks but the current stable of receivers has to be upgraded period. 

Appreciate... if we need to upgrade to aid the evaluation and progression of Kizer, then I can get on board with that.

16 hours ago, jcam222 said:

1.  Chargers Dontrelle Inman was being shopped in the preaseason. 
  2. Cowboys Brice Butler. They have some depth and can likely afford to move him
  3. Jordan Matthews with the Bills would make a good get as well. Even though they recently traded for him they are pretty much in burn it down mode.
  4. Jarvis Landry is cleared of charges in domestic case, trade for him.
  5. In a pipe dream world maybe flip Houston's picks back to them for Deandre Hopkins :)
  6. Hell bring me Vincent Jackson from his rocking chair he has to be bored by now. Just give me something better than a BUG!!!!!!!
  1. Inman would seem to fill your bill. Had a nice 2016 with Rivers in SD. Has a career catch percentage of ~60% including a drop rate of 4%. If SD's #1 pick Williams is coming on, then Inman should be available... especially since he's pushing 29 yo. SD has three WRs on their PS.
  2. Butler looks to be less desirable and a tougher get given DAL only has 4 WR on the 53 and only two more on the PS. Numbers aren't as good either.
  3. I don't think Bills have given up on 2017 quite yet. Their transactions are bottom churning... just like ours.
  4. Landry is going nowhere.
  5. Hopkins ditto...
  6. VJ? No... there's a reason he retired.

Add that:

• as you indicated #4, Hopkins, is way more expensive than your original premise would seem to allow. I see # 5 and #3 too expensive as well.
  • we made a WR move... his name is Coates.

Aside... in looking your lesser known guys over I stumbled across a very friendly site.. https://www.playerprofiler.com/

If you do not already know it... check it out.

Just now, LondonBrown said:

PoG doesn't seem too pleased that Kizer is not Tom Brady 

I.....just......can't 

He just has a hard on for the back up QB.   He has a thing for guys who just aren't that good (save for Gordon, but he can't stop smoking marijuana to get himself on the field).

I believe it's neither - just slimmer pickins down the line...but there were priorities to build the defense

into a winner, and a dynamic young TE was a player they needed... I was fine with waiting on a wr, but not the

next draft. First or second round wr, flat out.

That's a factor, cal... but Coleman fits pretty easily into the hard luck category.

Other picks? Went fishin' in 2016... cast a broad net that might end up empty beyond Devalve, who looks like a keeper.

On 9/27/2017 at 2:53 PM, calfoxwc said:

a dynamic young TE was a player they needed... I was fine with waiting on a wr, but not the

next draft. First or second round wr, flat out.

You do understand we just drafted a WR in the first last year....right?.....plus 3 more in the later rounds.....plus signed a FA.....plus like 12 UDFA's?......and not one has shown up yet......

So....are you waiting for us to draft one or waiting for us to get one right?.......next years the charm(wink wink)....hahahahaha

On 9/27/2017 at 2:50 PM, flyingfooldoug said:

So what happened to all the WRs that this FO drafted so far?  Bad luck or bad talent evaluation? 

That’s the point I’ve been making.

I’ve been hearing about all the great young talent this FO has brought on board (except for the skill positions).

We’ve drafted 5 WRs last year and signed a few FA’s, but we’re still lacking WR talent.

I put that on the FO.

On 9/26/2017 at 8:48 PM, jcam222 said:

Like your ambition. But it looks like we're going to gag on ego of the chosen ones first.

When Richard Sherman complained about losing a quality WR he faced daily in practice (such as Williams) to us - we need to play him more than once or twice a game to give chemistry to follow a reasonable shot at chemistry.  Jordan Leslie comes in and makes a circus catch in traffic and of course that seemed really close to the last time we'd see him.

We COULD have added a kid like Austin Carr at consumer friendly wages.

Again a good receiver is probably a worthwhile commodity in the NFL. So if somebody throws there is on the scrap Heap what makes you think he will be great in Cleveland?

Even though I'm sure it's a bulshit story I heard people talking about trading one of our number ones for Odell Beckham since he seems to be a poisonous entity back east.

WSS

4 hours ago, Flugel said:

When Richard Sherman complained about losing a quality WR he faced daily in practice (such as Williams) to us - we need to play him more than once or twice a game to give chemistry to follow a reasonable shot at chemistry.  Jordan Leslie comes in and makes a circus catch in traffic and of course that seemed really close to the last time we'd see him.

Had to do with a subsequent misread of coverage that resulted in a Kizer pick... just read that yesterday somewhere. If I find it, I'll post it.

Question it raised for me is, why we 'd allow a guy who is still waiting for the moving van to arrive to run option routes? And given his lacks of speed and agility (based on Pro Day), he needs to be able to read a D to ID holes in zones.

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I think i would argue that I see the makings of a very good WR in Leslie and cannot for the life of me figure out why we dropped him before finally realizing the mistake and bringing him back. He's far better than Brittany.

I love a good story like his but I believe he has been cut on like 5 teams so far? Sheet happens though, he could become very good. 

9 hours ago, Flugel said:

But it looks like we're going to gag on ego of the chosen ones first.

I'd like to see Leslie be our Welker, but he's not one of the 'chosen ones'.  He made one of those circus catches in the preseason but followed it with an EASY EASY drop when he was wide open in the middle of the field.  As a non-chosen one, that drop means more than the circus catch to the ego of the  Harvard Think Tank people who want to WISH their draft picks to be good.  -  If it were me, I'd tell Keizer & Leslie, "Look, I'm gonna put this kid in the slot and his job is to run to an open spot and sit.  Gun the ball in there to him."  

I'd also like to see Williams in there regularly....but I think he's just too new to the team and too far behind in learning the nuances of the playbook to warrant a lot of playing time right now.  I hope he gets up to speed quickly so we can see more of him and evaluate him...........we need guys who can catch the friggin ball.

....and that Bug guy.......learn the playbook buddy.  You've got size.  Ya can't teach size.  And historic stats say that you don't drop passes regularly.  That's what we need!

Archived