THE BROWNS BOARD

Has the Browns inability to win over 2 decades cause you to lose interest?

Soju

4 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

If you are a Browns fan, you have to be rooting for 0 - 16. This franchise needs to go.

So those who root for the Browns to win aren't Browns fans? I get that some people want the Browns put out of their misery, but that isn't a prerequisite for being a fan.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/2/2017 at 10:20 AM, ballpeen said:

I still have interest, though I may give up my season tickets after this year.  I live 600 miles away and don't have as much interest in driving up for 6 or so games.  I would still come up for 3-4 games a year.

I have always admired you for driving up to Cleveland to see games (since my days back on another board that I quit going to years ago).

I've said many times, after prolonged losing and crappiness, apathy HAS TO set in.

On 10/2/2017 at 12:45 PM, wargograw said:

The only answer is that maybe we shouldn’t change everything so often.....

That sounds logical...but it's only practical if you have the 'right' people in place (GM, coaches).  There is no way that we could've continued with Ray Farmer & Mike Pettine.  You can't have continuity just for the sake of continuity.

On 10/2/2017 at 12:54 PM, Ghoolie said:

This is the wrong place to ask that question. We are die-hards and what happens in here is not reflective of the real world.

Truth.

On 10/2/2017 at 12:54 PM, Ghoolie said:

It isn't just winning that brings popularity, it is also having iconic stars who fans can relate to.

Mostly true.  You're probably not going to have a consistently winning organization without a star or two though.

People talk about 'Defense Wins Championships'.  But that's only true if your offense is good enough to get you into the playoffs.  -  The nation wants to see offense.  The NFL knows that.  That's why the rules have been tweaked to promote offense and scoring.  Sure, maybe there's some die-hard fans, that frequent those message boards, that would love a defensive 10-6 ball game played in mud...but the VAST majority of fans want to see an exciting offensive game.  A Dan Fouts type of game.  

Our team hasn't had any offense but once in the last two decades.  And in that year we were popular.  - We have NO offensive stars.  None.  There's absolutely NO reason to show us on TV for the masses to see.  People would just change the channel to the 'other' game...or golf...or roller derby....or go rake leaves.  -  Haslam tried once.  He drafted Manziel.  I'm convinced that Haslam wanted the colorful Manziel to glitz up his team.  It just didn't work because the kid was a jerk.  

As good as Garrett may be (and we're not all that sure of that anymore with his spindly little ankles), he WILL NOT throw any TD passes.  We need TD passes.....and we don't seem to have the talent on either end of the pass to get TD's.  And because of that we're going to see an increase of orange chairs and opponent's jerseys in the stands as this season marches on.  And that's NOT going to get fixed until we STOP giving other teams our draft spot so that THEY can draft the good players while WE get the lower draft slots and draft half-assed talent.  

It's ALL about offense.  The networks and the vast majority of the nation's fans want to see offensive highlights...with an occasional defensive highlight sprinkled in for good measure.  

2 hours ago, Orion said:

I have always admired you for driving up to Cleveland to see games (since my days back on another board that I quit going to years ago).

I've said many times, after prolonged losing and crappiness, apathy HAS TO set in.

That sounds logical...but it's only practical if you have the 'right' people in place (GM, coaches).  There is no way that we could've continued with Ray Farmer & Mike Pettine.  You can't have continuity just for the sake of continuity.

Truth.

Mostly true.  You're probably not going to have a consistently winning organization without a star or two though.

People talk about 'Defense Wins Championships'.  But that's only true if your offense is good enough to get you into the playoffs.  -  The nation wants to see offense.  The NFL knows that.  That's why the rules have been tweaked to promote offense and scoring.  Sure, maybe there's some die-hard fans, that frequent those message boards, that would love a defensive 10-6 ball game played in mud...but the VAST majority of fans want to see an exciting offensive game.  A Dan Fouts type of game.  

Our team hasn't had any offense but once in the last two decades.  And in that year we were popular.  - We have NO offensive stars.  None.  There's absolutely NO reason to show us on TV for the masses to see.  People would just change the channel to the 'other' game...or golf...or roller derby....or go rake leaves.  -  Haslam tried once.  He drafted Manziel.  I'm convinced that Haslam wanted the colorful Manziel to glitz up his team.  It just didn't work because the kid was a jerk.  

As good as Garrett may be (and we're not all that sure of that anymore with his spindly little ankles), he WILL NOT throw any TD passes.  We need TD passes.....and we don't seem to have the talent on either end of the pass to get TD's.  And because of that we're going to see an increase of orange chairs and opponent's jerseys in the stands as this season marches on.  And that's NOT going to get fixed until we STOP giving other teams our draft spot so that THEY can draft the good players while WE get the lower draft slots and draft half-assed talent.  

It's ALL about offense.  The networks and the vast majority of the nation's fans want to see offensive highlights...with an occasional defensive highlight sprinkled in for good measure.  

Good points, although Texas VAG is now going to accuse you of being me.

Garrett is not good, and he is not going to be good. He is mentally weak and now we see he has anklh issues. He will most likely get hurt Sunday, if he even plays much.

On to offense. Cleveland is the only team whose fans, media and coaches loathe playmakers. When we do take offensive players, it is always the second tier guys, like Coleman. Offense makes the defense. Skilled players make the offensive line. As good as Joe Thomas is, he didn't move the needle on one single measurable metric of offensive production. You have to have big talent at the positions that touch the ball. After that, the importance of players is diminished.

I believe the problem the Browns have steps from the owners listening to Bernie Kosar, Jim Brown and Dough Drunken. These three fauhktards are responsible for the franchise mentally masturbating over fatass OL.

8 hours ago, Orion said:

Noted exceptions are Houston with Watt/Clowney and Denver with Miller & the No Fly Zone DB's. The fans there love that more than their offenses. I love fans that go nuts over great defensive play that sets up half their scoring. The Browns have the potential to develop that too. It would  be a shot in the arm for the Dog Pound which I think would just eat it up just as much as either of those two fan bases.

9 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Noted exceptions are Houston with Watt/Clowney and Denver with Miller & the No Fly Zone DB's. The fans there love that more than their offenses. I love fans that go nuts over great defensive play that sets up half their scoring. The Browns have the potential to develop that too. It would  be a shot in the arm for the Dog Pound which I think would just eat it up just as much as either of those two fan bases.

What did Houston do?  They traded for a QB.  (and, of course, we gave them one)

What is Denver trying to do?  Find a QB to make for a productive offense.

Why are they doing that?  Because defense alone will not get you where you need to go.  

...and probably starting this week, our Dog Pound (Dawg Pound) will be predominately comprised of other team's jerseys.

7 hours ago, The Gipper said:

The problem is that I don't think that the talent on this team is overall that bad.   It just cannot perform well at all.

yeah, i couldn't last a week without exploding....

Talent? What talent? i've pretty much watched 15 mins of the nfl since the anthem boycott. but the highlights i see of the browns are of the other team's wrs running through our defense like a hot knife thru butter and players either not fast enough to catch and tackle the guy or they just give up.

thank god i didn't make those TENACIOUS DEFENSE shirts cuz you'd all be laughed out of town.

and btw gipper why don't you just change your username to the yapper?

11 minutes ago, miktoxic said:

I thought you were having your account deleted.  Something about Browns and cocaine.  - Make a t-shirt, "I don't give a crap about the Browns".

----------- now see what you made me do?  My 1000th post is a crappy, sarcastic, no value added post.

28 minutes ago, miktoxic said:

Talent? What talent? i've pretty much watched 15 mins of the nfl since the anthem boycott. but the highlights i see of the browns are of the other team's wrs running through our defense like a hot knife thru butter and players either not fast enough to catch and tackle the guy or they just give up.

thank god i didn't make those TENACIOUS DEFENSE shirts cuz you'd all be laughed out of town.

Welcome back mik. Glad to see you here.

2 hours ago, Orion said:

I thought you were having your account deleted.  Something about Browns and cocaine.  - Make a t-shirt, "I don't give a crap about the Browns".

----------- now see what you made me do?  My 1000th post is a crappy, sarcastic, no value added post.

i did have it deleted but missed you sooooo much i had to come back to slap you all back down to earth and say 'i told you so!'

25 minutes ago, miktoxic said:

i did have it deleted but missed you sooooo much i had to come back to slap you all back down to earth and say 'i told you so!'

You and your deeply-held principles came back to the board to tell Browns fans that the Browns suck is as earth-shattering news as you telling us the sun rises in the east, sets in the west, and water is wet.

On 10/4/2017 at 9:50 AM, TexasAg1969 said:

Easy RR. More than  half that "Goolie is right" crowd is him using different screen names. Just systematically put them all on ignore and you won't even have to read the quotes. nickers is on the borderline. 

The tipoff for "policeman" was the claim that no one here better tangle with him. LOL!:P

Boo just got progressively worse and more Ghoolielike every day. off to internet dungeon for both.

nickers you're pushing for jail time. keep quoting and praising and off you go. I'd much prefer to read your own opinions and not G-quote reactions.

I haven't looked up the ISPs Ag, but I can damn guarantee you Nickers isn't ghoulie. I see him on the other place regularly. Boo only got accused when he started giving Ghoolie props. (He's a Pat's fan at heart. Policeman I don't know, and I don't care- he's not making a favorable first impression. 

1 hour ago, miktoxic said:

I was really bummed when you said you were leaving mik. Glad to have you back. Don't let the political crap get you riled up. 

43 minutes ago, hoorta said:

I haven't looked up the ISPs Ag, but I can damn guarantee you Nickers isn't ghoulie. I see him on the other place regularly. Boo only got accused when he started giving Ghoolie props. (He's a Pat's fan at heart. Policeman I don't know, and I don't care- he's not making a favorable first impression. 

Didn't really matter to me. I was just tired of the idolization of a "persona" that enjoys tormenting fans whose team has been tormenting them for decades. Bad enough to put up with the team, but to purposefully add to it constantly against people still trying to hang with this team is just not my idea of a "fan". Just because the owner likes you is not a license to abuse others. And you can excuse it all you want with "it's just my schtick", but I'm not buying. It's mean spirited crap. End of story. So I choose to put him and two of his idolizers on ignore. I did that so I would not have to read their quotes from their idol. nickers was not one of them.

15 hours ago, Orion said:

What did Houston do?  They traded for a QB.  (and, of course, we gave them one)

What is Denver trying to do?  Find a QB to make for a productive offense.

Why are they doing that?  Because defense alone will not get you where you need to go.  

...and probably starting this week, our Dog Pound (Dawg Pound) will be predominately comprised of other team's jerseys.

Ah, but having everything else... D, WRs, RB, OL... does lower the QB threshold...

14 hours ago, Orion said:

Well it's about time...

14 hours ago, miktoxic said:
  1. yeah, i couldn't last a week without exploding....
  2. thank god i didn't make those TENACIOUS DEFENSE shirts cuz you'd all be laughed out of town.
  1. That's what she said...
  2. Isn't "Tenacious D" a rapper?

Welcome, back bro...

44 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Ah, but having everything else... D, WRs, RB, OL... does lower the QB threshold...

Well it's about time...

1. That's what she said...
  2. Isn't "Tenacious D" a rapper?

Welcome, back bro...

Yeah da' BROWNS straight outta Cleveland :lol:

12 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

You and your deeply-held principles came back to the board to tell Browns fans that the Browns suck is as earth-shattering news as you telling us the sun rises in the east, sets in the west, and water is wet.

Oooooh. No Xmas cookies for you 薄 弱!!

Mr.smell his and other male butt under covers.

AIIYYAIIYAII!!!

Confucious say a man's face that smell like hairy wet man butt is a Dutch Oven. Hee hee hee.

17 hours ago, miktoxic said:

I said that the overall talent isn't that good.  I think there may be some serious deficiencies in certain areas, and the DB and WR spots primarily.

And I will change my name to the yapper when you change yours to the "Sleepy Hollow knob Gobbler."

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 3:59 PM, OldBrownsFan said:

If the Browns get a new owner I wouldn't be disappointed either. I thought at first the Browns had gotten a good owner in Haslam over the incompetent Randy Lerner but Haslam has been more of the same if not worse. Too bad because I really thought Haslam bought the team committed to winning and turning things around.

Only two problems with Haslam, a minor one (he's a crook) and a major one (he's a Steelers fan).

20 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I said that the overall talent isn't that good.  I think there may be some serious deficiencies in certain areas, and the DB and WR spots primarily.

And I will change my name to the yapper when you change yours to the "Sleepy Hollow knob Gobbler."

well played squire.

Archived