THE BROWNS BOARD

Tom Petty

This one hurts... a lot. Wrote some of the most singable songs in all of rock. Greatest Hits is a constant in the road trip package. When it's late after many hours on the road and the drowsies hit, it's an instant jolt of awake.

Particularly loved the way some of his lyrics roll off the tongue. No better example than Breakdown...

It's alright if you love me...

It's alright if you don't...

I'm not afraid of you running away Honey I get the feelin' you won't...

Simply brilliant stuff.

1 hour ago, Dste Ace said:

Saw him twice, in 2002 and 2005, both times at Blossom Music Center.

Once here at Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion in Houston. Not sure of year, but want to say 2002. It was the tour with Stevie Nicks. Hit after hit after with hardly a pause between songs... crowd singing along with many of them.

One of my favorite live recording moments of any artist belongs to Tom. Crowd is singing along to the opening of Breakdown as posted above when Tom stops... then the crowd stops and he says, "No, don't stop you're doing great." And they start again and he just listens to the entire first stanza thru the chorus.

Not exactly the one I was thinking of, but apparently it was not an uncommon occurrence... Roll on, Tom...

On 10/3/2017 at 12:09 PM, Tour2ma said:

Particularly loved the way some of his lyrics roll off the tongue. No better example than Breakdown...

It's alright if you love me...

It's alright if you don't...

I'm not afraid of you running away Honey I get the feelin' you won't...

Lyric Tissue Alert..Just had to turn the radio channel the other day..far to soon..Farewell TP..your final bow, is the hardest thing

I was in the Gainsville area when the Heartbreakers broke.. He was and still is a God in Gainsville as evidenced by the tribute at the UF Football game recently

There is a good documentary on Petty at netflix..

Too many of these gifted musicians are passing way before their time.

"If there's a Rock-N-Roll Heaven...you know they've got a hell of a band".

A little Tom Petty trivia, the Eagles guitarist Don Felder (another Gainesville native) taught TP how to play.

I never purchased a Tom Petty album.

I never heard him live, except when I was a beertender at an outside concert venue.

Of course, I like a lot of his songs.

To me, the key thing about Petty is the stature of musicians he played with.  In the Traveling Willbury's, alone, he played with the greatest of the greats.

He was a listener's musician as well as a musician's musician.  Not an easy task.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, nickers said:

And Bob Dylan and Keith Richards are still here.. Whodathunk...?

And all of Aerosmith. 😮 

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, The Cysko Kid said:

It's weird to see the old guard Overdosing. Prince and Tom Petty in recent memory. You don't really expect that past a certain point. I wonder what got the cranberries singer

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/dolores-oriordan-inside-cranberries-singers-final-days-w515782

• 3 months later...

Just saw the movie Chappaquiddick and what goes just beneath the radar is the theme tune throughout that plays the same notes slow and low. It's Tom Petty's, "I won't back down."

Archived