THE BROWNS BOARD

• Favorite GAMEDAY food ? ..... Dine in, carryout, *delivery or make at home.

mjp28

OMG that was good!  Nothing like a small bowl of Homemade CNS on a cold and windy night.

And tomorrow afternoon it we will be lunch watching the AFC and NFC Championship games.  :D

On 1/10/2020 at 9:56 PM, TexasAg1969 said:

The problem with wild mushroom beef stew is catching them. You have to have your traps set with exactly the right bait in a similar manner to catching rabbits for wild jackrabbit stew.🐰🍄

Well, once in a great  while our high end grocery store  brings in fresh morels, if the price  tag of $42 bucks a pound  doesn't  deter you. They did have some  oyster and a few other varieties of  'shrooms available  today. 

Ah, just grilled  up a steak with Pine Club leftovers and  wine. FWIW, you can't  go wrong with the '15, '16, and now '18 Bordeaux for good  values. I hope tarrif Trump  comes to his senses. 

PS, when it comes to port, I'm  a purist.  Only the  real stuff from  Portugal.  Had a glass of  Taylor 10 year tawny as a nitecap. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

FWIW, you can't  go wrong with the '15, '16, and now '18 Bordeaux for good  values. I hope tarrif Trump  comes to his senses. 

PS, when it comes to port, I'm  a purist.  Only the  real stuff from  Portugal.  Had a glass of  Taylor 10 year tawny as a nitecap. 

I have to admit I agree with you on the port. My Dad loved the very best stuff (read that as most expensive) from Portugal and I never turned down a glass of it. It was his only drinking vice. He would take any California Cabernet I offered however, just as my Mom did. He never asked the price and I never told my penny pinching Mom until I had her taste Mike Grgich's there at the winery. I thought she would choke when she found out it was $50/bottle even though it had the highest recommendation from her retired dentist wine collector next door. He was the one who sent us there telling us it was the best in Napa as far as he was concerned. But as you know I am devoted to Honig. The 2016 is another excellent year BTW. I have about 5 of them already in my limited space wine fridge.When I get home from Colorado I need to open Mike's from that day he sold it to me. Kept it this long for sentimental value since Mom incredulously watched me turn over the cash.  LOL!  But, times up and I need to open in now before it starts to decline. I'll keep the empty in memory of that day we went wine tasting together in Napa.😍

Made Chili last night. Different every time. Ground beef, variety of canned beans (including 2 cans with chili sauce in them), jalapeno, canned chopped tomatoes (with chilies) and tomato sauce and chili powder to taste. 

For game time today going to put it over pasta - not Cinci style - Toledo style! Mmmm

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, dusty said:

Made Chili last night. Different every time. Ground beef, variety of canned beans (including 2 cans with chili sauce in them), jalapeno, canned chopped tomatoes (with chilies) and tomato sauce and chili powder to taste. 

For game time today going to put it over pasta - not Cinci style - Toledo style! Mmmm

That's coming up real soon in our Winter 2019-20  soup, stew, chili and casserole GAMEDAY MEALS tour.  So much to choose from and so many better the next day meals.

No wrong way to make chili, goulash and stews it's whatever you like best  -but- also nothing wrong to pick up new ideas and recipes either.  ;)

........edit add we got this book as a shower gift about 38 years ago, great cookbook! Can get it used in good shape from Amazon 96 pages......for about $5.

Screenshot_2020-01-19_190258.jpg

Want some GAMEDAY munchies for the Senior Bowl or Pro Bowl or just a low carb snack?  And it's quick and easy.

Garlic-ky Shrimp Zucchini Boats

When you're craving pasta, these zucchini boats are a great option. The easy shrimp filling tastes almost like a creamy shrimp scampi. It's so good, it haunts our dreams. 

YIELDS:SERVINGS             PREP TIME:HOURS 10 MINS          TOTAL TIME:HOURS 45 MINS
INGREDIENTS

large zucchini, halved lengthwise
1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil 
1 tsp. thyme leaves 
2 tbsp. butter
3/4 lb. large shrimp, peeled and deveined
tomatoes, chopped
cloves garlic, minced 
1/4 c. heavy cream 
1/4 c. grated Parmesan

Juice of 1/2 lemon1

c. shredded mozzarella

Freshly chopped parsley, for garnish

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350°. Score zucchini (like you’re dicing an avocado) and scoop out insides to use later. Place zucchini boats in a large baking dish and drizzle all over with oil. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle thyme leaves on top. Bake until tender, about 20 minutes. 
  2. In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add shrimp and season with salt and pepper. Cook until pink and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat and when cool enough to handle, chop into bite-size pieces. Return shrimp to skillet then stir in reserved zucchini, tomatoes, and garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute more. Add cream, Parmesan, and lemon juice, and cook until slightly reduced, 3 minutes. 
  3. Fill zucchini boats with shrimp mixture and top with mozzarella. Cook until cheese is bubbly, about 10 minutes more. Garnish with more Parmesan and parsley.

delish-garlicky-shrimp-zucchini-boats-still002-1532537790 (1).jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://www.bing.com/search?q=Crawfish+Pie&filters=ufn%3a"Crawfish+Pie"+sid%3a"a888511e-db77-5faf-07e0-a97da223629e"+segment%3a"generic.carousel"+secq%3a"crawfish+pie"+supwlcar%3a"1"+tsource%3a"EntitySegments"+catesegtype%3a"recipe"+cack%3a"95348d35-d13b-4c84-a0b7-2af443e4758e"+segtype%3a"UmVjaXBl"+ctype%3a"0"+mltype%3a"0"+eltypedim1%3a"Recipe"&FORM=SNAPCR&crslsl=0

th?id=OIP.ZGqrC4TkZ7_ktffDPFBNqAHaE5&w=2Crawfish Pie

Southdish.com · 1 review
1hr 20mins · 244 cals per serving · 8 servs
  • Ingredients (14)
  • Nutritional facts (Per serving)
  • Substitutions

4 tablespoons butter
½ cup celery (chopped)
1 cup onions (chopped)
½ cup bell peppers (chopped)
½ teaspoon cayenne
¼ teaspoon black pepper (ground)
⅛ teaspoon white pepper (ground)
1 ½ teaspoons salt
½ cup canned tomatoes (chopped)
2 tablespoons parsley (chopped)
1 pound crawfish tails (peeled)
1 cup water
2 tablespoons flour
1 pie crust (9 inch)
  • Like 2

OMG the house smells so good, for our Senior Bowl GAMEDAY meals today and leftovers Sunday my wife's version of Martha Stewart's Stuffed Red Peppers with Rice.

I may put up the recipe later.  One of my many favorites. Ummmm.

.......edit add, my wife has used Italian sausage or sweet Italian sausage but today it's the 3 meat mix of beef-chicken-veal.  You can also go light with chicken or turkey.  My favorites are sweet Italian or the 3 meat mix.

I just sampled the filling mix, she chops up the leftover peppers and adds them into the mix. It just went in the oven, 30 minutes then cover with shredded Mexican cheese mix, melt, cool a bit then eat !

Edited by mjp28

On 1/24/2020 at 7:11 PM, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Can't stand shrimp.  look Like bugs.

On that we can agree.  Not necessarily how they look though. 

4 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

How do you feel about lobster?😋

They can start using them for fertilizer like they used to do in the early 1800s when they were so plentiful, they'd wash up on shore. 

hoorta Rule #1. If it came out of the water, I don't eat it. 

Had a truly exceptional filet tonight with Pine Club leftover lyonaise potatoes ( hash browns + onions if you've not heard of them) and a bottle of California Oberon Cabernet. 

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

hoorta Rule #1. If it came out of the water, I don't eat it. 

Had a truly exceptional filet tonight with Pine Club leftover lyonaise potatoes ( hash browns + onions if you've not heard of them) and a bottle of California Oberon Cabernet. 

Was that filet of redfish, flounder or cod Larry? A White Zinfandel is the answer, not a Cab.😜

BTW that Oberon sounds intriguing. I can get it for around $20 after tax with my Vet's cash discount locally. I'll pick up one today and serve it with a T-bone & baked potato some time this week.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Was that filet of redfish, flounder or cod Larry? A White Zinfandel is the answer, not a Cab.😜

BTW that Oberon sounds intriguing. I can get it for around $20 after tax with my Vet's cash discount locally. I'll pick up one today and serve it with a T-bone & baked potato some time this week.

We had breaded flounder the other day, not as good as fresh catch but not too bad.

Back to basics on GAMEDAY, tailgating or similar meals which is best or the most popular?  Steaks, burgers, ribs, hotdogs, chicken, chili, pizza, tacos, fish, chips & dip or anything really delicious.

Well I checked around for a few ideas, here's a few I found.

Best tailgating food ranked by college students.  1. was dip and chips 10. was chili.  https://spoonuniversity.com/lifestyle/best-tailgating-foods-ranked-college-students

Food Network's top 50 Tailgating Recipes.  Ready to do some casual reading? I may have put this up before  https://www.foodnetwork.com/holidays-and-parties/packages/tailgating/food-networks-top-50-tailgating-recipes 

15 Winning Tailgate Food Recipes from around the Web. https://hip2save.com/recipes/15-winning-tailgating-recipes-from-around-the-web.  I really like their #11.

There's always a good reason to have a  GAMEDAY meal.

Bon appetit !

(Oh the #11, mmmmm.)

philly-cheesesteak-sliders.jpg

so the other day, I decided to try avocado. I was buying fruit to dehydrate, and stuff to make steak kababs.

a few friends are avocado enthusiasts - it's supposed to be good for you.So, I bought one to try. A close friend said to wait til they turn black, and softer, and then you eat them.

So, I did.

Should have known "turning black" was an omen...of bad things.I peeled it back, and cut off a chunk and ate it.Actually, I didn't, I tried, but it was nasty blah with a slimey texture like maybe...

axle grease? lard? In fact, a chunk of lard would taste better, I think.Then I find out you are supposed to put it in stuff - like scrambled eggs...salad...

Nope. I have a bunch of kiwi and mango fruit dehydrated chips, going to try papaya to see if that is any good. Dragon fruit is terriific. Too much like a jell, but very good. Not for dehydrating I think.

I should probably just stick to BLTs. I love those, and regular fruit.

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

so the other day, I decided to try avocado. I was buying fruit to dehydrate, and stuff to make steak kababs.

a few friends are avocado enthusiasts - it's supposed to be good for you.So, I bought one to try. A close friend said to wait til they turn black, and softer, and then you eat them.

So, I did.

Should have known "turning black" was an omen...of bad things.I peeled it back, and cut off a chunk and ate it.Actually, I didn't, I tried, but it was nasty blah with a slimey texture like maybe...

axle grease? lard? In fact, a chunk of lard would taste better, I think.Then I find out you are supposed to put it in stuff - like scrambled eggs...salad...

Nope. I have a bunch of kiwi and mango fruit dehydrated chips, going to try papaya to see if that is any good. Dragon fruit is terriific. Too much like a jell, but very good. Not for dehydrating I think.

The key to avocado is either putting it in salads with other stuff or try it alone by getting rid of the seed and filling the hole of each half with some type of salad dressing that you like. French goes well with it. Eat it with a spoon carving out a bit of the avocado with a decent amount of the dressing of choice. When I lived in Caracas we had 5 avocado trees in the back yard. We had a tin can on a long pole in which we would enclose what appeared to be a ripe one, rattle it a bit and if it was ready it would drop into the tin can. If it didn't then it wasn't quite ready. BTW there are black and there are green avocados . The secret in the store is to squeeze them for softness and buy unless they are just way too squishy. And you don't want any that feel hard as a rock either. No ripeness at all inside. If any of the avocado of either color is black inside then you just carve that part out and don't eat it because it is overripe. The rest should be just fine.

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

The key to avocado is either putting it in salads with other stuff or try it alone by getting rid of the seed and filling the hole of each half with some type of salad dressing that you like. French goes well with it. Eat it with a spoon carving out a bit of the avocado with a decent amount of the dressing of choice. When I lived in Caracas we had 5 avocado trees in the back yard. We had a tin can on a long pole in which we would enclose what appeared to be a ripe one, rattle it a bit and if it was ready it would drop into the tin can. If it didn't then it wasn't quite ready. BTW there are black and there are green avocados . The secret in the store is to squeeze them for softness and buy unless they are just way too squishy. And you don't want any that feel hard as a rock either. No ripeness at all inside. If any of the avocado of either color is black inside then you just carve that part out and don't eat it because it is overripe. The rest should be just fine.

Avocados are my wife's area she loves them. I like them prepared correctly in a variety of dishes and dips. 

Oh that tin can on a long stick thing works for various fruits. Where I grew up we had 10 different fruit trees on our property we'd pick nice pears way up there with a can with a sharp slit in the side..... capture...twist....lower. It works.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

So, I did.

You have to be kidding me.  You never had an avacado till now?  You wait unti they get somewhat soft then they are ripe, not fucking black.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

You have to be kidding me.  You never had an avacado till now?  You wait unti they get somewhat soft then they are ripe, not fucking black.

Ohio. I'm particular. Avocado was never on my list. I could have used it to greaze

wheel bearings all these years, but I didn't know...............

2 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Ohio. I'm particular. Avocado was never on my list. I could have used it to greaze

wheel bearings all these years, but I didn't know...............

Not an avocado fan either Cal. It's a texture  thing with  me. I like  a lot of Mexican food,  but no guacamole please.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

Ok folks. Make this lynching complete. I don't like (and won't eat) avocado either. Just one of those things that I've tried multiple times, but "no thanks".

Mike

🥑-eat me!                                     😁

39 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

🥑-eat me!                                     😁

That's the thing about food it's one of the most subjective things in this whole wide world.  What some people absolutely love others think is awful.

But whatever you like eat well !

So any special GAMEDAY meals or activities planned for SUPER BOWL 54 ?

My brother is supposed to come over this weekend but he's a vegetarian.   Talk about subjective eaters.  We have two nice big beautiful rib eye steaks planned for the 🔥 grill with all of the steak fixens...... with a cold Sam Adams beer !

32 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

That's the thing about food it's one of the most subjective things in this whole wide world.  What some people absolutely love others think is awful.

But whatever you like eat well !

So any special GAMEDAY meals or activities planned for SUPER BOWL 54 ?

My brother is supposed to come over this weekend but he's a vegetarian.   Talk about subjective eaters.  We have two nice big beautiful rib eye steaks planned for the 🔥 grill with all of the steak fixens...... with a cold Sam Adams beer !

The wine crowd  gets together. It's  been the Soup-er  Chilli  Bowl for years, but it might be  different  this time, other than massive  quantities of  great  wine. Different  venue  this year because the  long  time host's wife is going through chemotherapy,  and it was too  much for him to handle  with 20-30 guests. 

Haven't decided what I'm bringing yet though it will  probably be  some beef, or French  onion soup  if I  get motivated.

Also, and Ag might be interested in this- bringing  some wine up to Gene's for a future  tasting that's been talked about for years,  but long delayed.  A vertical (that's one bottle from each year) of one of my favorite  wines- Clio. From every year the wine's ever been  produced. 2002-2016. I'm trying to  find the 2017, but haven't  seen it  released yet. :)

• Thanks 1

I rarely do a Mr Food recipe but I just saw this one on TV now their  HALFTIME BACON CHEESE DIP. It would fall under the quick and easy no clean up snack.

SERVES  12  COOK    TIME   45 Min

Ready to win big at the game day party? This recipe will always be a big win: our Halftime Bacon Cheese Dip is ooey-gooey, and bacon-studded making it the ultimate football cheese dip.  Everyone on game day will be clamoring for more as these delicious flavors score a taste bud touchdown. 

What You'll Need

• 1 (1-pound) oval loaf Italian or sourdough bread, unsliced
  • 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup cubed mozzarella cheese
  • 1/2 cup crumbled crispy cooked bacon
  • 3 scallions, sliced
  • 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
  • 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tablespoons beer
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  •  
  • What to Do
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cut the top off the bread about 1/3 of the way down and set top aside. Hollow out inside, leaving about 1-inch of bread around edges. Cut top of the bread and the bread that you removed into 1-inch cubes; set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together remaining ingredients until thoroughly combined. Spoon mixture into bread loaf, then loosely wrap the bread loaf in aluminum foil.
  3. Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until hot in center. Serve with cut-up bread pieces.

Serving Suggestion!

If you love these recipes, then you'll love this FREE eCookbook!

Half-Time-Bacon-Cheese-Dip-_ArticleImage-CategoryPage_ID-3215749.jpg

6 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Blasphemy 

5 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Get a rope!🤠

Hey, I've mentioned  a bunch of  times I have a pretty  limited  diet. Guess I  can throw eggs  at you- that I  don't  eat  either,  unless  they're  well  blended in some cake  mix. To this day just the smell of  scrambled eggs  gets my stomach  churning,  and pretty  sure I'd puke if I  tried eating  them. 

3 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

I rarely do a Mr Food recipe but I just saw this one on TV now their  HALFTIME BACON CHEESE DIP. It would fall under the quick and easy no clean up snack.

SERVES  12  COOK    TIME   45 Min

Ready to win big at the game day party? This recipe will always be a big win: our Halftime Bacon Cheese Dip is ooey-gooey, and bacon-studded making it the ultimate football cheese dip.  Everyone on game day will be clamoring for more as these delicious flavors score a taste bud touchdown. 

What You'll Need

• 1 (1-pound) oval loaf Italian or sourdough bread, unsliced
  • 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup cubed mozzarella cheese
  • 1/2 cup crumbled crispy cooked bacon
  • 3 scallions, sliced
  • 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
  • 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tablespoons beer
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  •  
  • What to Do
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cut the top off the bread about 1/3 of the way down and set top aside. Hollow out inside, leaving about 1-inch of bread around edges. Cut top of the bread and the bread that you removed into 1-inch cubes; set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together remaining ingredients until thoroughly combined. Spoon mixture into bread loaf, then loosely wrap the bread loaf in aluminum foil.
  3. Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until hot in center. Serve with cut-up bread pieces.

Serving Suggestion!

If you love these recipes, then you'll love this FREE eCookbook!

Half-Time-Bacon-Cheese-Dip-_ArticleImage-CategoryPage_ID-3215749.jpg

Interesting,  may try just the dip, minus the  bread, serve with  nachos. Looks to be wine friendly.  Now about the  mustard. Another  Larry no-no, LOL. McDonald's  double  cheese, NO mustard. Actually,  I  have a recipe for  swiss onion soup  that calls for some powdered  mustard, and I  love it. 

I'll post the recipe later, it's time consuming,  but worth it.