THE BROWNS BOARD

Peyton Manning is closing on a house in Cleveland

Ghoolie

26 minutes ago, nickers said:

I was sad the day they quit making Stroh's... It was about the closest thing to real beer as you could find... Just about everything out these days is like processed instant beer.. And like Hoorta.. I'm a beer purist also.. these faggy little flavored beers are disgusting...

OH GOD from 1969-1980 during the mill years it was Stroh's long necks or we wouldn't drink beer.......but we always managed to find it somewhere! I still have my old Stroh's tee shirt here somewhere, probably in a box with my Siperbowl XVII shirt. :lol:

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, nickers said:

I was sad the day they quit making Stroh's... It was about the closest thing to real beer as you could find... Just about everything out these days is like processed instant beer.. And like Hoorta.. I'm a beer purist also.. these faggy little flavored beers are disgusting...

My Uncle used to drink the Long neck Stroh's.  He used to get shitfaced and take my older brother and I bowling, lol.

4 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

You have something in common with Paul Neuman then. Watch the movie Hud where he was drinking a beer and it's a Coors. Loved it in real life too.

Did you know Paul Newman is from Shaker Heights, OH?  A suburb of Cleveland. 

5 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Coor's is my basic brew.  Don't like Christmas Ale.  Too strong for me.  

Nothing wrong with Coors or Bud if that's what you like. As the Romans said way back, there's no arguing about taste. Um, don't know about you- but MHO is when Coors went national, it changed. Back in the 70s, you could line up six different beers for me, and I could pick out the Coors without fail- it was that distinctive. No longer, though I have to admit to the possibility after 40 years, my nose is shot. 

4 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

You're better off going to the Rockies and just drink straight out of the stream. Cheaper and about the same taste. That's why they advertise it  that way.:D

That would be Coors Lite Ag. But that can't hold a candle to that stuff they brewed down Texas way- Pearl Lite. The closest thing to a babbling brook I ever tasted. 

7 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

OK then-Back we go to Diplomatico Ron Reserva Exclusiva-best sipping rum ever made. And don't ruin it with watering down rocks.:D

Thanks for the reminder Ag. I'll have to try and find a bottle. Forgot which one you preferred when we got into a discussion about rum. Don't know if it's available here. State of Ohio usually won't bother importing something unless they can move 10,000 cases of it. I have to head south of the border to Kentucky to buy one of my faves real Senior Curacao from the island. The domestic knockoff stuff is pure crap by comparison. BTW, the Orange version is the Board's traditional pregame shooter at our Tailgates.  

Did try a bottle of Ghoolie's Zaya, and it's OK, though on the sweet side. Though some reports say it's not the same stuff when they moved production from Guatemala to Trinidad. Also sort of deceptive advertizing. Used to say "aged 12 years", now it's just 12 aged rums.  Hmmmmm.......   

17 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Probably was different then.  They used to say it had to be refrigerated constantly to remain fresh.  Now they store the cases out on the floor.  

That may be because way back IIRC, Coors was unpasteurized. Might not be the case anymore. Also economics of scale in a negative way. Can't keep all those tens of million gallons of beer cold.  :(  

In a similar way- I have only one rule when it comes to beer- ABM- anything but Miller. Miller High Life is in clear bottles because it's so processed it's totally DOA. The reason amber bottles beer is usually in is to protect it from sunlight, so it doesn't go "skunky".  You probably could set a six pack of Miller out on a beach in Florida for a week, and it wouldn't harm it. 

50 minutes ago, hoorta said:

That may be because way back IIRC, Coors was unpasteurized. Might not be the case anymore. Also economics of scale in a negative way. Can't keep all those tens of million gallons of beer cold.  :(  

In a similar way- I have only one rule when it comes to beer- ABM- anything but Miller. Miller High Life is in clear bottles because it's so processed it's totally DOA. The reason amber bottles beer is usually in is to protect it from sunlight, so it doesn't go "skunky".  You probably could set a six pack of Miller out on a beach in Florida for a week, and it wouldn't harm it. 

One thing about Coors back in the day is that they would send people out to places that sold their beer check and see if it was in the cooler or on the shelf. If it turned out to be warm on the shelf they would cut that place off. I think that's how Bob Evans used to be, only sewing to places they could deliver fresh.

WSS

58 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

One thing about Coors back in the day is that they would send people out to places that sold their beer check and see if it was in the cooler or on the shelf. If it turned out to be warm on the shelf they would cut that place off. I think that's how Bob Evans used to be, only sewing to places they could deliver fresh.

WSS

I worked for a beer distributor over 30 years ago and coors beer was allways in are dry storage

9 hours ago, hoorta said:

Nothing wrong with Coors or Bud if that's what you like. As the Romans said way back, there's no arguing about taste. Um, don't know about you- but MHO is when Coors went national, it changed. Back in the 70s, you could line up six different beers for me, and I could pick out the Coors without fail- it was that distinctive. No longer, though I have to admit to the possibility after 40 years, my nose is shot. 

That would be Coors Lite Ag. But that can't hold a candle to that stuff they brewed down Texas way- Pearl Lite. The closest thing to a babbling brook I ever tasted. 

Coors Lite tastes almost like straight alcohol to me.. that's how flavorless it is..You may as well be drinking Piss.....

9 hours ago, hoorta said:

Thanks for the reminder Ag. I'll have to try and find a bottle. Forgot which one you preferred when we got into a discussion about rum. Don't know if it's available here. State of Ohio usually won't bother importing something unless they can move 10,000 cases of it. I have to head south of the border to Kentucky to buy one of my faves real Senior Curacao from the island. The domestic knockoff stuff is pure crap by comparison. BTW, the Orange version is the Board's traditional pregame shooter at our Tailgates.  

Did try a bottle of Ghoolie's Zaya, and it's OK, though on the sweet side. Though some reports say it's not the same stuff when they moved production from Guatemala to Trinidad. Also sort of deceptive advertizing. Used to say "aged 12 years", now it's just 12 aged rums.  Hmmmmm.......   

Diplomatico is aged 12 years in oak casks. The one I wish I could find is Diplomatico Ambassador which is aged 12 years in oak and then two additional years in Perez Ximenez Sherry casks from Spain to add a special flavor too it. Just can't find it here. But that one is about $200 so I'd rather have about 6 of the Reserva Exclusivas instead.:D

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Diplomatico is aged 12 years in oak casks. The one I wish I could find is Diplomatico Ambassador which is aged 12 years in oak and then two additional years in Perez Ximenez Sherry casks from Spain to add a special flavor too it. Just can't find it here. But that one is about $200 so I'd rather have about 6 of the Reserva Exclusivas instead.:D

:) did see it's available- a quick look at winesearcher.com, you got the cash- we got the booze, as I found out on my visit to Total Wine when I visited Houston to see another Brown's loss .  (they don't carry it, BTW, but I bet they'd order it for you) You have the price right Bill.   BUT- it follows the hoorta's logarithmic law of diminishing returns. Can't be 6X better than Exclusiva. Just like IMHO those guys with unlimited budgets paying over $1,000 for a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle  bourbon on the secondary market. Or triple that for Remy Louis XIII cognac. LOL, as one of my friends signs above his wine cellar says-  "No one respects age- unless it's bottled".   

15 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

WSS

Coors was a big, big deal at first especially when they started to come East people would do all kinds of exotic things do get a few cases. Now it's just another beer if you like it fine if you don't eh. I don't really care for it besides there are a ton of beers out there now especially at these beer emporiums now all kinds of domestic, imported and craft brews.

3 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Coors was a big, big deal at first especially when they started to come East people would do all kinds of exotic things do get a few cases. Now it's just another beer if you like it fine if you don't eh. I don't really care for it besides there are a ton of beers out there now especially at these beer emporiums now all kinds of domestic, imported and craft brews.

And at the time Coors had cult status here, you couldn't get it, Genny had the same kind of popularity out west. Local Brewers that hit it big.  Now it's all the microbrews. Quality beer for the masses.. Cheers!

...been thinking about the whole Peyton Manning idea.

Although I'm against hiring someone to such a lofty office who just walked off the playing field.......the other side of the coin is that this particular person would most probably favour building an offense with a passing attack as a priority.  (I would love that mindset at the top of our FO)

The only thing that makes any connection to me here is Haslem wants Manning's independent opinion on the right QB at top pick? Unless am missing somebody here? P. Manning would be the 1st player to not VP or GM a team not played with? Ozzie Newsome,John Elway,Reggie McKenzie,Doug Williams,Rick Spielman & John Lynch are all players that now GM their former teams?(missing anybody?) 2 former coaches, Tom Coughlin now VP at Jags. Jon Robinson now at Tenn is VP/GM..weird, strange, is both Singletary & Manning were both in C-town but that's all anybody knows..odd there's no leaks out there yet(Colts & Denver both could certainly use a P.Manning in house)

12 hours ago, gumby73 said:

The only thing that makes any connection to me here is Haslem wants Manning's independent opinion on the right QB at top pick? Unless am missing somebody here? P. Manning would be the 1st player to not VP or GM a team not played with? Ozzie Newsome,John Elway,Reggie McKenzie,Doug Williams,Rick Spielman & John Lynch are all players that now GM their former teams?(missing anybody?) 2 former coaches, Tom Coughlin now VP at Jags. Jon Robinson now at Tenn is VP/GM..weird, strange, is both Singletary & Manning were both in C-town but that's all anybody knows..odd there's no leaks out there yet(Colts & Denver both could certainly use a P.Manning in house)

I am not sure that Rick Spielman actually ever played in the NFL.   You may be confusing him with his brother Chris....who of course was an outstanding LB at OSU and in the NFL.

Have to check...stay tuned:

Here is the info on Rick Spielman:

Spielman played linebacker at Southern Illinois University (1983–86), earning first-team All-Gateway Conference honoree as a junior. He was also part of the 1983 NCAA Division I-AA national championship team as a redshirt freshman. Upon entering the NFL, as an undrafted free agent, he was invited to training camp with the San Diego Chargers (1987) and Detroit Lions (1988), but did not make it as a professional football player.[2]

Career in scouting[edit]

Spielman began his NFL career as a scout with Detroit in 1990 and worked with the club in college scouting for five seasons before adding pro scouting duties in 1995 and 1996. He moved to Director of Pro Personnel for the Bears from 1997 to 1999 before joining the Dolphins in 2000 as Vice President of Player Personnel. He was promoted in 2002 to Senior Vice President-Football Operations/Player Personnel and eventually General Manager in 2004. Spielman left the Dolphins during the 2005 off-season.

Spielman worked with ESPN as an NFL analyst in 2005, before joining the Minnesota Vikings.[2]

4 minutes ago, Kvoethe said:

Latest rumor I heard about Manning is that he is buying an ownership stake in the Browns.

If my math is right, 1% of a billion is $10 million. Lol, how much is Papa John's paying you? Peyton for sure has money, but on LeBron's level?

56 minutes ago, hoorta said:

If my math is right, 1% of a billion is $10 million. Lol, how much is Papa John's paying you? Peyton for sure has money, but on LeBron's level?

He probably does.  Papa John's, Nationwide, Directv....dude made a lot of money over the years playing and probably even more with all the endorsements he's got. 

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

https://www.therichest.com/celebnetworth/athletes/nba/lebron-james-net-worth/

https://www.therichest.com/celebnetworth/athletes/nfl/peyton-manning-net-worth/

Lebron James is $340 million net worth, whereas Peyton is $200 million

1 hour ago, Kvoethe said:

Your math sucks because no way the browns are worth close to 1 billion.  Jimmah overpaid.  

He could get 50 percent stake for 200 million

Sorry dude...your math sucks.  According to Forbes magazine:

cleveland-browns_100x100.jpg #29 Cleveland Browns $1.95 B

That's 1.95 billion with a B.   So his $200 million would get him approximately 10% of the team.

https://www.forbes.com/nfl-valuations/list/#tab:overall

42 minutes ago, Mark O said:

Sorry dude...your math sucks.  According to Forbes magazine:

cleveland-browns_100x100.jpg #29 Cleveland Browns $1.95 B

That's 1.95 billion with a B.   So his $200 million would get him approximately 10% of the team.

https://www.forbes.com/nfl-valuations/list/#tab:overall

Lest we forget.. Randy Lerner , still holds a 10% share in the team . If I'm not mistaken.

Archived