THE BROWNS BOARD

Peyton Manning is closing on a house in Cleveland

Ghoolie

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, nickers said:

Lest we forget.. Randy Lerner , still holds a 10% share in the team . If I'm not mistaken.

I DID forget.  Is that true.

Also, I wonder about this:   Lerner sold the team to Haslam....but what was the payment arrangement?  Jimmy may have been making payments to Randy and that debt may be far from paid off.    Just speculating....not certain.   Anyone know?

22 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I DID forget.  Is that true.

Also, I wonder about this:   Lerner sold the team to Haslam....but what was the payment arrangement?  Jimmy may have been making payments to Randy and that debt may be far from paid off.    Just speculating....not certain.   Anyone know?

I only know that Jimmy has net worth of 3.7 billion as of March of this year. I don't think Randy held on to any part of the team. The only owners listed are Jim and Dee Haslam. $3,700,000,000  yep, ten figures.

1 hour ago, flyingfooldoug said:

I only know that Jimmy has net worth of 3.7 billion as of March of this year. I don't think Randy held on to any part of the team. The only owners listed are Jim and Dee Haslam. $3,700,000,000  yep, ten figures.

Net worth might not always be very liquid.

Randy might not have ownership rights but might have other ""IOUs" of some sort held separately from the transaction. Oh the wacky world of those multi billionaires. 

4 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Net worth might not always be very liquid.

Randy might not have ownership rights but might have other ""IOUs" of some sort held separately from the transaction. Oh the wacky world of those multi billionaires. 

Anything else I have seen about NFL owners, they get listed as sole, or majority. It's possible someone else has a small stake but I'm pretty certain that it would be listed that way. 

10 minutes ago, flyingfooldoug said:

Anything else I have seen about NFL owners, they get listed as sole, or majority. It's possible someone else has a small stake but I'm pretty certain that it would be listed that way. 

This says that at the time of the sale, Randy would retain 30%.   However, JH had the option to buy him out of the rest.  Will have to check on if that happened:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/07/cleveland_browns_owner_randy_l_5.html

Another story says that the other 30% would be sold 4 years after closing date...but I could not find confirmation that the sale of the 30% went through.

Lerner will sell 70 percent of the Browns to Haslam now, with the other 30 percent reverting to him four years after the closing date, a person with knowledge of the sale told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because details have not officially been announced.

So...that mean possibly that the balance of ownership was transferred to Halsam no later than last summer (2016).

Also.  Lerner did sell his Premier League soccer team...which I guess was losing money hand over fist:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/18/aston-villa-randy-lerner-close-selling-club-china

30 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Another story says that the other 30% would be sold 4 years after closing date...but I could not find confirmation that the sale of the 30% went through.

Lerner will sell 70 percent of the Browns to Haslam now, with the other 30 percent reverting to him four years after the closing date, a person with knowledge of the sale told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because details have not officially been announced.

So...that mean possibly that the balance of ownership was transferred to Halsam no later than last summer (2016).

Also.  Lerner did sell his Premier League soccer team...which I guess was losing money hand over fist:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/18/aston-villa-randy-lerner-close-selling-club-china

Sounds about like I remember it happening. Randy kept some a few years and bowed out. Who knows, he may have sold it off when the FBI got involved with the Haslam finances.  I did notice a Freeman as VP of football operations too. Wonder if he's related to "Stick"? ..lol

Archived