THE BROWNS BOARD

Hoorta was right - Tom, and Ghoolie were wrong

Ghoolie

Sorry to post this somewhat redundant thread about dirty play, but for me, this warrants a comment.

Over the years I battled Hoorta, who has always maintained that players should not be what we typically call headhunters. I always countered that if the head hunters were our guys we would love them. I thought Hoorta was soft, sissified, old fashioned. I always took the tack that football is a brutal game and it should be played without reserve.

Last night's game left a lasting impression on me. That game was sick. It assaulted everything that football is supposed to be about. Gone are the days when a defensive player lets up on a hit because his team is ridiculously in the lead, or because a mere push, or a QB bear hug will get the job done. Instead, too many players have become self-important, inhumane creeps.

I am doing a 180 and bowing to Larry's wisdom. Play tough, be a bad butt, be a monster of the midway, but these head hunters can all go screw themselves. Give me a Singletery, Butkis, or Eric Turner. I don't want these creeps on my team.

Touche' Hoorta. Touche"

45 minutes ago, Ghoolie said:

Sorry to post this somewhat redundant thread about dirty play, but for me, this warrants a comment.

Over the years I battled Hoorta, who has always maintained that players should not be what we typically call headhunters. I always countered that if the head hunters were our guys we would love them. I thought Hoorta was soft, sissified, old fashioned. I always took the tack that football is a brutal game and it should be played without reserve.

Last night's game left a lasting impression on me. That game was sick. It assaulted everything that football is supposed to be about. Gone are the days when a defensive player lets up on a hit because his team is ridiculously in the lead, or because a mere push, or a QB bear hug will get the job done. Instead, too many players have become self-important, inhumane creeps.

I am doing a 180 and bowing to Larry's wisdom. Play tough, be a bad butt, be a monster of the midway, but these head hunters can all go screw themselves. Give me a Singletery, Butkis, or Eric Turner. I don't want these creeps on my team.

Touche' Hoorta. Touche"

No Ghoolie No!!!  ...What a sharp contrast to what I heard on the radio today.

Tony Rizzo stressed to the younger listeners that last nights Steelers Bungles game was the way the game was played back in the day.

The way the game was played back in the day is why there are more rules today. To many retired players with concussions and other injuries.

Dikk Butkis never let up. He drilled you and made sure you felt the pain. Remember the vicious head slaps delivered by defensive linemen that were once legal?

The hit on Frank Gifford that I believe ended his career.

Hell, the Turkey Jones planting of Bradshaw...saw no letting up by that big Turkey!

The way Hines Ward blocked was perfectly legal until the league decided to make it illegal....again the concussion thing.

Imagine a player speaking like this today!!!...

Fast forward this video at 2:26 where Deacon Jones states his goal was to put the opponent in the hospital without remorse..to tear his head off.

2 hours ago, StinkHole said:

Tony Rizzo stressed to the younger listeners that last nights Steelers Bungles game was the way the game was played back in the day.

The way the game was played back in the day is why there are more rules today. To many retired players with concussions and other injuries.

Dikk Butkis never let up. He drilled you and made sure you felt the pain. Remember the vicious head slaps delivered by defensive linemen that were once legal?

Hell, the Turkey Jones planting of Bradshaw...saw no letting up by that big Turkey!

The way Hines Ward blocked was perfectly legal until the league decided to make it illegal....again the concussion thing.

Yeah, Ward just loved to lay a guy out with a blindside hit when he didn't see it coming. IIRC, he busted a guy's jaw. Looks like Ju-Ju took lessons from the Master, not that I have any great love for Burfict- he's been known to deliver a dirty hit or two in his day...  

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/_ILuHr6bc1rtfVtWYy-2u_37IH8=/0x0:540x304/720x0/filters:focal(0x0:540x304):gifv():no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/9810987/badjuju.0.gif

ward was biggest cheap shot artist as an offensive player that i can ever remember. a sucker punch artist. never did it face to face. steve smith jr. would have knocked him the Shmuck out .....along with tomlin.

how has that coaching pick serve you so far? marvin lewis much?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA!!!!!

Holy Sheet this makes Turkeys planting of Bradshaw look like childs play.

Its amazing Blount didn't kill this Raider.

But don't take this the wrong way, I'm with Ghoolie in that I don't like any of it,  I just happen to believe that nasty uncalled for hits have been going on for a long time and are nothing new.

blount.gif

2 hours ago, miktoxic said:

ward was biggest cheap shot artist as an offensive player that i can ever remember. a sucker punch artist. never did it face to face. steve smith jr. would have knocked him the Shmuck out .....along with tomlin.

how has that coaching pick serve you so far? marvin lewis much?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA!!!!!

Hines Ward never sucker punched anyone. Bet guys like Dikk Butkus, Conrad Dobler, and Mean Joe Greene did.

Coaching pick? What the funk you talking about?

More times than not Pisspuke does not get called for these hits,(never get called when they play us) They get a fine (big deal) They are dirty, they get bs calls all the ime, they got a free win at Cnncy, a Free win against Green bay, The refs make sure they win and the only people who don't see it are their fagot butt fans who will have some gay comment like "The officials were bad on both sides" And that is the awful truth. 

1 hour ago, StinkHole said:

Hines Ward never sucker punched anyone. Bet guys like Dikk Butkus, Conrad Dobler, and Mean Joe Greene did.

Not a sucker punch literally as in fist to face but more like turnover and helpless player going out of bounds with helmet spear to face.

and Rooney hired and promoted Tomlin and since then, what one game more win than cincy because a robbed bad call vs the cards u win a SB? And Tomlin is no Cowher who was not chuck Shucking noll, troll.

irish mafia ref paid off wins.

3 hours ago, BrownPile said:

The kind of play you're referring to denotes a sense of sportsmanship.  Sportsmanship left the major sports years ago.  It's replaced by a 'street thug' mentality.

As long as that makes more money, it will only get worse.

The NBA cleaned up their act. So can the NFL...or should

I don't know what is more totally hilarious about the "THE NFL IS A THUG LEAGUE NOW" rants...

The fact that its being spewed by people who would wax poetic about finger Butkus, Jack Tatum, Deacon Jones, Ray Nitchzke, et al of the past, "REAL FOOTBALL PLAYERS" or the fact that its being spewed by people who have rambled on and on ON THIS BOARD about how this country is full of wimpy, pansy men.

Watch clips of the NFL in the 50s, 60s and 70s and then say, with a straight face, how clean and sportsmanlike the NFL was back then.

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

I don't know what is more totally hilarious about the "THE NFL IS A THUG LEAGUE NOW" rants...

The fact that its being spewed by people who would wax poetic about finger Butkus, Jack Tatum, Deacon Jones, Ray Nitchzke, et al of the past, "REAL FOOTBALL PLAYERS" or the fact that its being spewed by people who have rambled on and on ON THIS BOARD about how this country is full of wimpy, pansy men.

Watch clips of the NFL in the 50s, 60s and 70s and then say, with a straight face, how clean and sportsmanlike the NFL was back then.

Exactly Dutch

It's only an illusion that the "NFL is a thug league now" simply because there have been put in place umpteen new rules aimed at player safety.

The intense desire to want to knock your opponent into next week is in the DNA of every football player regardless of what era they played in.

Forgot about Jack Tatum...he's another one, paralyzed Daryl Stingley for life. Not sure if he ever apologized or even had any sort of remorse.

well the NFL can start by having a commissioner with a spine (sorry stingley.....watched that live. friggin horrible, but saw that coming from that toothless Shmuck. worse was receiver blowing out both knees just by landing on bad philly carpet....vikings guy??). letting your players run your league has cost you 20-30% of tv viewership and millions of dollars because the man of the year wears socks calling cops pigs and others disregarding feelings of patriotism in the name of some change and kneeling in front of those who dedicate their lives for their chance to live and prosper..........when they could flick a booger at what it takes to protect their pampered asses.

funny how they all hate cops until they get robbed, beaten or house broken into....

explain DAT. (off topic, sorry. just fired up after seeing fat **MASK** beyonce give this fool his SI award last night).

8 hours ago, miktoxic said:

Not a sucker punch literally as in fist to face but more like turnover and helpless player going out of bounds with helmet spear to face.

and Rooney hired and promoted Tomlin and since then, what one game more win than cincy because a robbed bad call vs the cards u win a SB? And Tomlin is no Cowher who was not chuck Shucking noll, troll.

irish mafia ref paid off wins.

Not even that.

Ward was famous for his seek and destroy tactic. His vicious and perfectly legal blind side blocks, one of which shattered the jaw of a Bungle LB, prompted the league to make a new rule.

That was the rule enforced against  JuJu Smith. when he knocked Vontaze Burthdefect into next week onMNF.

As far as Tomlin...why do feel the need to take this thread into a different direction?, and can you re-type your second sentence in English?

Tomlin in his 11th yr. has never had a losing season, is about to make the playoffs for the 8th time, and has appeared in the SB twice winning one.

So what you're saying is that the Steelers would have been an even better team over those 11 yrs. if they had a different coach?

That is comforting for browns fans to hear.

4 minutes ago, StinkHole said:

Not even that.

Ward was famous for his seek and destroy tactic. His vicious and perfectly legal blind side blocks, one of which shattered the jaw of a Bungle LB, prompted the league to make a new rule.

That was the rule enforced against  JuJu Smith. when he knocked Vontaze Burthdefect into next week onMNF.

As far as Tomlin...why do feel the need to take this thread into a different direction?, and can you re-type your second sentence in English?

Tomlin in his 11th yr. has never had a losing season, is about to make the playoffs for the 8th time, and has appeared in the SB twice winning one.

So what you're saying is that the Steelers would have been a better team yet over those 11 yrs. if they had a different coach?

That is comforting for browns fans to hear.

c'mon dude. how old are you? do you watch current events? you don't remember the vice pres debate where the dem candidate dusted bush's vp (who couldn't even spell potato) "you sir, are no john kennedy!) it was one of the most hilarious and ground-breaking headlined news stories of that year....guess you couldn't hear it from your mom's womb.

ward's hits might have been 'personally 'legal' in your eyes but did you ever see him square up against anyone face to face....(tell the truth).

yeah i AM jealous of the steeler's organization but they are way down the list of who i respect. tomlin is not a coach i respect. he got promoted because of the rooney rule and inherited winning tradition and FO. tell me the steelers haven't got away predominately with preferential referee calls (tell the truth or u'll got to hell...lol). what has tomlin done when his chips fall off the table.....yep, lose.

make the playoffs for 8th time ain't got shite on marvin lewis.

14 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

Touche' Hoorta. Touche"

God Forbid any player feels "Disrespected".  Here is a clue....you do something stupid like that because you feel disrespected.....and you have just increased the "disrespect" for you exponentially.

9 hours ago, StinkHole said:

Holy Sheet this makes Turkeys planting of Bradshaw look like childs play.

Its amazing Blount didn't kill this Raider.

But don't take this the wrong way, I'm with Ghoolie in that I don't like any of it,  I just happen to believe that nasty uncalled for hits have been going on for a long time and are nothing new.

blount.gif

No....it is about the same.  Both bad. 

But note in this video....John Facenda says it is simply the Steelers getting some of their own.  And the video you posted kinda shows that.

And note this.    It caused a lot of consternation.   But I don't think it was actually that bad of a hit...compared to many many others.  It was perhaps a late hit....and he did attempt to spear him.....but it looks like he actually missed and just landed on him.   He got Sheet from the Browns more for his intent than for what actually happened:

9 hours ago, StinkHole said:

Sucker punch?  I don't know.  But he would give a blindside forearm shiver to the head or neck.  He is why the league outlawed that action....and that is exactly what whatshidfuyuck...Jojojuju did to get penalized.   (even though...that penalty was not accepted.  It was the subsequest taunting penalty that was).

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Some of these look just like neck tackles.  I am not sure the neck tackle is illegal now, is it?  I am not talking horse collars....or forearm shivers...which I also see here.  I mean, just grabbing a guy around the neck...and avoiding the face mask...I think is still legal...no?

14 hours ago, StinkHole said:

Imagine a player speaking like this today!!!...

Fast forward this video at 2:26 where Deacon Jones states his goal was to put the opponent in the hospital without remorse..to tear his head off.

I don t see him leading with his head.

8 hours ago, BrownPile said:

The kind of play you're referring to denotes a sense of sportsmanship.  Sportsmanship left the major sports years ago.  It's replaced by a 'street thug' mentality.

As long as that makes more money, it will only get worse.

Why is the term "thug" never used when referring to sanctioned NHL fights/thuggery

? Don't use the "it's hockey" excuse seeing as how elite international leagues don't play that way

2 hours ago, miktoxic said:

well the NFL can start by having a commissioner with a spine (sorry stingley.....watched that live. friggin horrible, but saw that coming from that toothless Shmuck. worse was receiver blowing out both knees just by landing on bad philly carpet....vikings guy??). letting your players run your league has cost you 20-30% of tv viewership and millions of dollars because the man of the year wears socks calling cops pigs and others disregarding feelings of patriotism in the name of some change and kneeling in front of those who dedicate their lives for their chance to live and prosper..........when they could flick a booger at what it takes to protect their pampered asses.

funny how they all hate cops until they get robbed, beaten or house broken into....

explain DAT. (off topic, sorry. just fired up after seeing fat **MASK** beyonce give this fool his SI award last night).

Now most of that I can agree with!

25 minutes ago, StinkHole said:

Now most of that I can agree with!

HA!!!

it's just ball bustin on my part. tough being brown's fan.

aren't u the one i lost bets with like 3 years in a row and stocked ur fridge with beer because of it?

Archived