THE BROWNS BOARD

Vita Vea and Danny Shelton would be a more talented Siragusa and Adams.

SkippinTurtles

Both Washington Huskies. Prospects like Vea are VERY rare.  Take him, no one's running up the middle and the pocket push would be relentless.  Constant double-teams freeing up the linebackers to stuff the run and allowing the edge rushers to get to the QB.  Nothing worse than a defense that's soft up the middle.  Vea and Shelton in 2018.

ins't he projected as top 10? And is another DT absolutely necessary? if we're gonna address front 7 high in the draft irritatingly enough it's gotta be another DE cause Ogbah/Nassib/orchard ain't gonna cut it. But if we address DE in FA, than yeah I would consider a DT with the Texans pick unless there's a very high value secondary player. Our secondary is the most pressing need on the defense. 

And cue up the first BPA vs. need "discussion" of the 2018 Draft.... the first of 2,371 such discussions.

Somewhere around #1785 someone, likely me, will say, "Don't forget about positional importance."

*sigh*

Vea and Shelton would give this team two unblockable monsters in the middle like no other NFL team.  Great teams set trends.  Losing teams play catch-up.  Centers and guards wouldn't know what hit 'em.  Push up the middle disrupts any offense.  Build the defense inside out.  Shelton was a great pick.  Give him a brother in arms.

Id use hurst as a DE in some packages. Line him up at the 4-5 spot. My ideal d is a 4-3 with one of the DE's in that 3-4 5T mold. Basically a watt type u line up either over the tackle or shaded to the outside shoulder. U can have the wide tech guy on the other side. That gives u one guy who rushes up high and the other guy who cuts a tighter power edge. 

4 minutes ago, SkippinTurtles said:

For the record, was anyone here a fan of Siragusa and Adams on the 2000 Ravens D.  I get they were run-stuffers, but I think what they opened up for the rest of the defense made up for the lack of pass-rush.  You can't double young Vea, Shelton and Garrett.  Most O-Lines couldn't handle all 3.  If any.

Don't think you're taking into consideration the evolution of the passing game in 17 years coupled with the fact our defense doesn't have Ray, Boulware, Sharper, Woodson or McAlister walking through that door.  

43 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Don't think you're taking into consideration the evolution of the passing game in 17 years coupled with the fact our defense doesn't have Ray, Boulware, Sharper, Woodson or McAlister walking through that door.  

Undersized pass rush D-Lineman getting manhandled by average sized O-Lineman allow pocket QB's all day to throw.  Make them block monsters up the middle then bring the pain from every angle.  D-Line trumps secondary.  Can't cover without pressure.  Also, this team could have drafted Reuben Foster or Malik Hooker.  They clearly had Ray Lewis and Ed Reed potential coming out.  Or keep trading down until all the best prospects are off the board.

14 minutes ago, SkippinTurtles said:

Undersized pass rush D-Lineman getting manhandled by average sized O-Lineman allow pocket QB's all day to throw.  Make them block monsters up the middle then bring the pain from every angle.  D-Line trumps secondary.  Can't cover without pressure.  Also, this team could have drafted Reuben Foster or Malik Hooker.  They clearly had Ray Lewis and Ed Reed potential coming out.  Or keep trading down until all the best prospects are off the board.

Off the top of my head -  Aaron Donald,  Campbell, Easley,  Mike Daniels, Cox, Grady Garrett and Sheldon Richardson might have a beef with what you just said.  

1 minute ago, Clevfan4life said:

I thought I read Hurst is projected mid'ish 1st round....

Well, I've watched Penn State, Florida and as I type vs Sparty.  All this season.      I see good Sheet here and there, but - I don't think I'm watching the next Aaron Donald either.    Right now I'm just jotting down thoughts as I go.  I'm sure I'll watch all these twice with the proper pauses and get into more detail then.  

6 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Well, I've watched Penn State, Florida and as I type vs Sparty.  All this season.      I see good Sheet here and there, but - I don't think I'm watching the next Aaron Donald either.    Right now I'm just jotting down thoughts as I go.  I'm sure I'll watch all these twice with the proper pauses and get into more detail then.  

that phillips kid could be a later round steal. That guy is NFL strong right now.

4 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

that phillips kid could be a later round steal. That guy is NFL strong right now.

Well I'm looking more at players that can be interior pass rushers even if it just means subpackages.    This defense desperately needs to be able to pressure the QB outside of sending a 5th & 6th man.     Danny, Jobi, Coley, Jamie - they're all 1 gap pluggers.   And you need those kind of boys, but I'm trying to find somebody like Brantley that might be able to come in and add to our rotation with interior penetration.   That bigs with the swim moves.       Harrison would be an upgrade over Meder without a question.   I don't think he can turn his legs like Jobi or Coley.  

I've got two videos going for comparison and I keep hearing about this Wilkins kid from Clemson and the 'stud' he is.    Auburn appears to be handling him quite well. 

Just now, SkippinTurtles said:

Exceptions to the rule.  High motor great athletes.  Stuff the middle and speculate on fringe college prospects.

Drew Brees is an exception to a rule.  Russel Wilson is an exception to a rule.     Know why? They're are so Shmucking few exceptions.     

Meanwhile I can go back as far as my memory will take me with football to talking about John Randle saying it was his job to sack Brett Favre, even when he wasn't playing the Pack.   There is a LONG history of undersized interior lineman using their quicks, strength and balance to terrorize offensive lineman.      Meanwhile there are plenty "great athletes" that don't pan out at a ton of positions.      You have next to nothing to back up your argument.    Meanwhile I can still toss out names like Atkins, Bosa, Bennett, Williams on a second round of thought just to further prove mine.

Next.  

In 2016 draft watched Falcons start building a defense with first 2 picks. At #17 a Safty Keanu Neal. 2nd Round pick #52 a OLB from LSU that can Cover than bang a ball carrier,Deion Jones(did ya watch saints/falcons?) We still need both & Peppers out of centerfield..

Being able to attack an offensive line starts up the middle.  If they can single block your tackles, your edge rushers are facing more double-teams.  Less pass-rush = more time in coverage.  Get the D-Line right and then address the secondary.  All the top defensive backs in this draft class are 4.5 40 guys with no ball skills.  No Aaron Donald's in this class either.  Draft Vea and push the pocket for the next decade.

2 minutes ago, SkippinTurtles said:
  1. Being able to attack an offensive line starts up the middle. 
  2. Get the D-Line right and then address the secondary. 
  3. No Aaron Donald's in this class either.

So it's as easy as 1-2-3.... except there is no #3 at the end of the rainbow?

Archived