THE BROWNS BOARD

The Disaster Artist review

The Disaster Artist
A24 Warner
R.                        103 min

Okay to be honest I’ve never heard of a 2003 cult film called THE ROOM. I’m told that it’s one of the worst movies ever made and also a big hit among a group of idiots who attend each and every midnight feature shouting and throwing stuff at the screen wearing costumes and carrying props. You know just like ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW. I guess there are stupider ways to spend your time (the Cleveland Browns 0 and 16 parade comes to mind) but I can’t think of too many. Ironically Rocky Horror is really not a bad film but the room, from what I’ve seen of it is pure garbage.
THE DISASTER ARTIST is supposedly the actual account of how THE ROOM came to be produced directed and released on film. Acting students Tommy Wiseau and Greg Sestero (James and David Franco) are struggling (for good reason) in an acting class when Tommy decides the two of them should throw caution to the wind and produce Wiseau's “masterpiece” THE ROOM, the story of a creepy investment banker whose girlfriend has an affair with his best pal. If you aren’t already a fan of the cult hit you probably won’t have much interest how it came to exist, but if you are this should be a lot more fun. You can find lots of film clips of the original flick as well as discussions Etc. on YouTube which will help immensely. I did find out from that research that James Franco, the writer producer director, did a surprisingly good job of recreating Tommy Wiseau on the screen, and reproducing many of the original scenes to a T, no small task.  Still after all is said and done Tommy is not a pleasant character making it almost impossible to empathize with him.  That, and your own personal appreciation of the absurd, will determine how much you like this one. As for me?
C+
WSS

• 2 months later...

Archived