THE BROWNS BOARD

Chiefs Trade Alex Smith to the Skins

Mark O

I'm doing a big no-no here and posting without reading the previous statements, but I just had reconstructive ACL and MCL surgery, so I'm fading in and out of consciousness. First let me say that in extremely disappointed...no, WOEFULLY disappointed. I really thought we'd throw some big time resources at the Chiefs and get this deal done whether he wanted it or not. I was willing to part with a 2nd rounder and then sign Alex to a large 4 year deal. Heck, I would've tossed in another 5th rounder if necessary. I felt like this move made sense and I had it in my heart that we'd be a competitive team next year. Not saying playoffs (PLAYOFFS?! PLAYOFFS!), but a scrappy, young team who could win games and develop talent while providing an enjoyable product. That's what I so desperately wanted. 

Alas, we didn't have to wait long to get let down, so thank goodness for small miracles. Instead, now we're back to fighting other teams for the ONE impending free agent QB that everyone knows we have absolutely no chance of signing. Kirk Cousins doesn't need the money. He's made almost $50 million the past two years, and there are 5 or 6 other teams with PLENTY of cap space needed to make Kirk a stupidly rich man (sorry...RICHER man). He won't come to Cleveland, and nobody can blame him. This was our best chance in a very long time to get a proven, veteran QB in Alex Smith, and we just couldn't find a way. Sound familiar? Just ask Jimmy Garoppolo how happy HE is since he got to avoid the athletic cesspool known as the Browns. 

Now we're back to the drawing board. Back to scouting several young men and trying to see who could possibly have what it takes to help such an impossibly horrid franchise. We have a coach with probably the shortest leash in the league, and we somehow have to find a way to get better, all the while starting yet another 21 year old (or 22) who will be thrust into the starting role of the worst team in NFL history. How do I like my team's chances? Not very much. 

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Let's hear it for our new GM!!! ;)

1) If Cousins goes to the Jets, then we could just see the return of McC...

2) Add that WSH was burned badly not too long ago moving up to take a QB.

3) Agree that in the end WSH put together a better package than we were obviously willing to do.

4) Took us "out"? Do you think KC gave Smith a say in which deal they'd accept?

1) I'd be for it.  :)

2) From our recent Redskins visitors, I take it they certainly don't have a high opinion of their FO. 

3) The second round we have from the Eagles and Peppers? The long term contract was probably the deal breaker...

4) No.  

7 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Sound familiar? Just ask Jimmy Garoppolo how happy HE is since he got to avoid the athletic cesspool known as the Browns. 

Yup... I half expect word to leak out that the KC brass simply couldn't bring themselves to deal Smith to the Browns.

In the alternative there's the possibility that they did not want to do business with the GM they ran out of town.

Or bit of both...

27 minutes ago, Browns1216 said:

I think Kirk is after a ring, highly unlikely he'll come to the Browns unless they drastically overpay him and I don't think DePo will let that happen.  AJ McCarron is more realistic given how Hue and Haslam were chatting him up after the Bengals game and the botched trade deal where they actually tried to get him here. have to see what the results of the hearing are.  I wouldn't mind keeping things as Kizer, rookie + let Hogan and Kessler battle it out for QB3 but don't see it happening, Hue has mentioned getting a vet QB multiple times now and I think he has his sights set on AJ. let's hope they don't have to use any draft picks to get him.

Does anyone think that  McCarron is a serious major upgrade from  Kizer, Kessler, and Hogan.   Honestly...that is not a situation I can wrap my head around.  Now....his hot wife?   Hot bod.....but is it me...or do some of the rest of you think her looks make her like a bit of horseflesh?

2A377EBF00000578-3149143-image-a-25_1435

And if we do go with McCarron.....we will have the QB with the ugliest tats in the league.  WTF is up with those?

4 years and something like 70 million guraranteed.  That took the Browns out as they were just wanting a bridge guy...not a hugely paid long term guy.

Took us "out"? Do you think KC gave Smith a say in which deal they'd accept?

I think it took the Browns out of the mix...It sounds like it was a package deal.   But, no....it was the draft pick and the player.  We may have given KC a 3...but....I don't think we had a player they wanted like this Fuller that they also got. 

10 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

I half expect word to leak out that the KC brass simply couldn't bring themselves to deal Smith to the Browns.

Kinda seeing this already...

On @Browns_Daily right now @AllbrightNFL said that “Alex Smith chose Washington due to the long term deal that the Skins were offering.” Added Browns offered multiple picks but wanted him for short term deal and Denver offered a 2nd and Aqib Talib!

Pressed in follow ups Zegura posted:
... wanted to do right by a vet who had done right by the org and they LOVED Fuller.

1 minute ago, The Gipper said:

I think it took the Browns out of the mix...It sounds like it was a package deal.   But, no....it was the draft pick and the player.

So... "Yes... But no."?

15 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Yup... I half expect word to leak out that the KC brass simply couldn't bring themselves to deal Smith to the Browns.

In the alternative there's the possibility that they did not want to do business with the GM they ran out of town.

Or bit of both...

Ahh!   Hadn't thought about that....the fact that they ran Dorsey out of town.  Is there in fact a residual grudge? Some lingering animosity? 

Its like the trade for McCarron....the Browns and Bengals have never consummated a trade in 50 years of coexistance.  That is the closest they have ever come.

2 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

On @Browns_Daily right now @AllbrightNFL said that “Alex Smith chose Washington due to the long term deal that the Skins were offering.” Added Browns offered multiple picks but wanted him for short term deal and Denver offered a 2nd and Aqib Talib!

... wanted to do right by a vet who had done right by the org and they LOVED Fuller.

So....it was a package deal....and clearly the Chiefs wanted a DB in return if they were also talking Talib. I mean...unless we offered Peppers...who could the Browns have included that would have been satisfactory?

Also...why would the Chiefs be wanting to deal a decent QB to their in division rival....Denver?

2 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

So....it was a package deal....and clearly the Chiefs wanted a DB in return if they were also talking Talib. I mean...unless we offered Peppers...who could the Browns have included that would have been satisfactory?

Also...why would the Chiefs be wanting to deal a decent QB to their in division rival....Denver?

Chiefs weren't so they didn't.... Also Talib would put KC back into Cap issues.

Your use of the term "package deal" is quite nebulous.

16 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Does anyone think that  McCarron is a serious major upgrade from  Kizer, Kessler, and Hogan.   Honestly...that is not a situation I can wrap my head around.  Now....his hot wife?   Hot bod.....but is it me...or do some of the rest of you think her looks make her like a bit of horseflesh?

2A377EBF00000578-3149143-image-a-25_1435

And if we do go with McCarron.....we will have the QB with the ugliest tats in the league.  WTF is up with those?

Who on earth is looking at him?

sweet jeebus

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Let's hear it for our new GM!!! ;)

If Cousins goes to the Jets, then we could just see the return of McC...

Add that WSH was burned badly not too long ago moving up to take a QB.

Agree that in the end WSH put together a better package than we were obviously willing to do.

Took us "out"? Do you think KC gave Smith a say in which deal they'd accept?

to long of a deal for a bridge qb also I believe he regress's in Washington no where near the talent he had in K.C

1 hour ago, syd said:

to long of a deal for a bridge qb also I believe he regress's in Washington no where near the talent he had in K.C

When healthy WSH's talent on the O-side is pretty damn good.

As for the length of the deal... that's TBD. Could be that it's effectively a 2-year deal... and that would have been just fine.

21 hours ago, beare said:

didnt see that coming for sure

LMAO. ROTFLMAO.........

"'DIDN'T SEE THAT COMING" .....Classic....fukcing classic.

This franchise speacializes in wasting first round picks, getting beat to the punch in FA.....but but but......we are building for the fukcking FUTURE.........We are amassing assets.....ASSETS I TELL YOU.......AAAAAAASSSSSSETTTTTS.

4 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I REALLY hope the reason we didn't get Alex Smith was because we wouldn't commit to a long-term deal. That would send me over the edge. QBs that take care of their bodies and play smartly can definitely play later on into their late 30's. What's Alex...34 or 35? Don't get it, I really don't. 

I believe (like so many others here) that the plan now has AJ McCarron in it, but he's a WAY bigger unknown to me than the other guys. Heck, I didn't even think he compared to Garoppolo, let alone Alex Smith and Kirk Cousins. I've also heard that Dorsey likes a little guy named Chase Daniels....someone ELSE who hasn't done much of anything. The thought of having another rookie start for us out of the gates is completely mind-numbing. Regardless if he's chosen #1 or #52, but the rest of the presumed FA QBs aren't doing much for me either. Ugh... 

16 minutes ago, syd said:

i believe it was reported for the next 5 years I mean he got 71 million guaranteed that would a helluva lot of money for 2 years

"Guaranteed" does not mean "fully guaranteed" in the NFL.

We don't have specifics on the deal yet, but the former first overall pick is in line to reportedly take home $94 million, with $71 million in guarantees, though the deal can't become official until after the new league year begins on March 14. The word "guarantees" doesn't mean anything unless it's prefaced by "fully" or followed by "at signing," so take that number with a grain of salt.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22271779/winners-losers-alex-smith-trade-kansas-city-chiefs-washington-redskins-2018-nfl-offseason

21 hours ago, Zombo said:

Cousins is ours, MotherShmuckers.

2018 AFC North Champion Cleveland Browns.

Z

Dude......I would expect.you to be punch drunk and drooling idiotic ramblings AFTER I pummled your melon....but Cousins in Cleveland? John, you really need to stop drinking for a bit.

This franchise is a LOSER.....on the field and off. For 19 years they have not particopated in acquiring the top playmakers. They are not going to start.now.

4 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Is the foundation sound?

Built right smack in the middle of a bog...... but The Process's architects say the untreated balsa wood supports are financially responsible and the basis for a strong, viable future.  

29 minutes ago, Ghoolie said:

Dude......I would expect.you to be punch drunk and drooling idiotic ramblings AFTER I pummled your melon....but Cousins in Cleveland? John, you really need to stop drinking for a bit.

This franchise is a LOSER.....on the field and off. For 19 years they have not particopated in acquiring the top playmakers. They are not going to start.now.

How are you going to "pummel my melon" if you don't show, you faggot-ass pussy?

Z

46 minutes ago, syd said:

as i said the only way forward is through the draft we are kinda like the Trail Blazers of the nfl big time players don't wont to come here

Syd.....do you not think that the better college players also don't want to come here? How fukcking stupid do you jave to be to draft a guy who made a video begging not to come? UN BELIEVABLE

Archived