THE BROWNS BOARD

Chiefs Trade Alex Smith to the Skins

Mark O

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

I can think of a particular gentlemen... a 'destroyer', if you will.    Clad in Patriots gear at the moment.  

Steve Grogan? 

31 minutes ago, syd said:

WTF Darnold never said that ,rosen did so quit talking out of your butt

I said there were early reports about both of them not wanting to be here. I think stories like this are click bait crap, but they're still out there. Just like they were talking about Dorsey saying "Stay away from Rosen" which he said was absolutely not true, and it was, in his words  "fake news". 

Do I think either one would turn down the chance to be #1? Nope. Never have, never will. 

27 minutes ago, beare said:

Id like cousins but just dont see it happening my guess is he goes to denver or buffalo.

That would be my greatest worry for the BROWNS strike out on all of the better FA QBs and have to blow a #1 or 4 pick on a rookie savior QB in a so-so QB draft....and the beat goes on.

Also a big penalty for going 1-31 some already set for life QBs will pass, still collect another fortune to play for a halfway decent team. Cousins has to be holding some pretty good cards right about now. :D

Then it's McCarron and Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield for me. 

I like that we got the news today and therefore we cannot get so hyped on getting any top QB in either FA or trade. 

Cousins is not coming here even if we wanted to. I would understand the romanticism of the challenge to come to the Browns and turn them around (for a shitload of money), but I don't see an "established" QB doing that.

1 hour ago, Nero said:

Then it's McCarron and Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield for me. 

I like that we got the news today and therefore we cannot get so hyped on getting any top QB in either FA or trade. 

Cousins is not coming here even if we wanted to. I would understand the romanticism of the challenge to come to the Browns and turn them around (for a shitload of money), but I don't see an "established" QB doing that.

I honestly believe that with all the new brass in town that the Browns won't have too much problem signing a few big name veterans this year, especially somebody like Cousins (since we have a boatload of $$$$$). He should know the new OC will be pass happy and if we draft Barkley, hmmmmmmmm! Top 10 defense, couple new WRs, etc. I know I'm feeling a little positive, but...money talks! :) 

3 hours ago, hoorta said:

Are you paying attention? Just no on offering to make Cousins the highest paid QB in the NFL. The Redskins not only were happy to let Kirk take a hike- they even gave up draft picks to grease his exit out the door.... 

See above....  Though- certainly the shock of the soon to be off season so far. Doubtless the Browns offered more...  Sucks to suck....   

I'm not going to dispute that the Browns offered "more" but was it really better? 

From our (KC) point of view, what we got was a 3rd and something better than a 1st wich is a CB that we need, who would be a first round pick this year if he were in this draft, who has proven his worth, and is on his 650k rookie contract for 2 more seasons.  It's like having a 1st round pick, gauranteed not to be a bust and paying him PENNIES.  We got a top end CB and Thrid.  In my opinion, the Fuller, in this case is more valuable than any teams 2nd round pick and problaby worth more than any 1st round pick outside the top 10.  

The other caveat here is that Smith has agreed to an extension with the Redskins already...they didn't just work that out 10 minutes after the trade was announced....this deal has been in the works for a while.  Smith will be "the man" in Washington.  In Cleveland he would be "the bridge"

One last thought.  Given the skins are at 13 in round 1 so they are on the outside looking in at this QB class, but it points to the fact the Redskins have seen enough to think they aren't interested participating in trying to get one of those guys up top.  Just a thought.

42 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

I think Denver is where Cousins will end up going.

Can they afford him is the question? Do they have the cap space? It's obvious Wash. didn't want to pay that much. Are the Browns that desperate to ransom their future on one player and then be unable to complete a full team to go with him?

7 hours ago, syd said:

WTF Darnold never said that ,rosen did so quit talking out of your butt

No, Rosen did NOT say that. Quit talking out of your butt.

The text of what he said is: "I’d rather be a lower pick at the right team than a higher at the wrong team."  That's it.  Everything else is gossip.

29 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Can they afford him is the question? Do they have the cap space? It's obvious Wash. didn't want to pay that much. Are the Browns that desperate to ransom their future on one player and then be unable to complete a full team to go with him?

Us & Jets have the cap..Just as many teams, Elway would have to cut/move players to build "Cap Cousins"..At what price do you want to win? vs. Money monsters..This bridge comes with fancy toll booths..As Hue has said "Interstate-I-31 comes with many rough patches";) I just don't see Cousins either, but Dorsey may see the winning moxie that this Sashi daycare needs?    

This deal had nothing to do with Cousins ability we much as it did with the team being 100% that Cousins wanted nothing to do with the Skins. 

Also, example #8,531 of why Bruce Allen is a fool and the Redskins are one of the worst managed teams. And a classless organization too. Fuller has to find out on Twitter after initially saying it wasn’t him being traded. 

Not to mention Fuller was a stud. You guys can at least be grateful you aren’t a Redskins fan. And Bruce Allen ain’t going anywhere. He’s Snyder’s alcoholic drinking buddy. It’s sad. He was probably lit making this deal. And the irony is he showed McCloughan the door for drinking 

February 15th...That's the date all Browns fans need to keep in the back of their mind. The reason? This is AJ McCarron's hearing on whether he will be a restricted FA or an Unrestricted FA. I'm guessing he will lose his battle just because of the politics involved, but if he doesn't and does become an unrestricted FA, I think the Browns would much rather have him than Cousins. In fact, it would not surprise me if the browns go back to cincy if he is a RFA and try to make the trade again. For me, it's just a cost thing. I don't think you are giving McCarron $71 million guaranteed like Smith just got and that's the starting point for Cousins. When Dorsey made the original deal for Smith and then signed him to an extension, it was a fairly reasonable contract. I think you would see the same thing if they go after McCarron. $30 million guaranteed over 3 years? that's a lot for a back-up qb, but if you take a first round qb that gives you options if he falters in the back-end.

5 hours ago, Pat Mahomo said:

I'm not going to dispute that the Browns offered "more" but was it really better? 

From our (KC) point of view, what we got was a 3rd and something better than a 1st wich is a CB that we need, who would be a first round pick this year if he were in this draft, who has proven his worth, and is on his 650k rookie contract for 2 more seasons.  It's like having a 1st round pick, gauranteed not to be a bust and paying him PENNIES.  We got a top end CB and Thrid.  In my opinion, the Fuller, in this case is more valuable than any teams 2nd round pick and problaby worth more than any 1st round pick outside the top 10.  

The other caveat here is that Smith has agreed to an extension with the Redskins already...they didn't just work that out 10 minutes after the trade was announced....this deal has been in the works for a while.  Smith will be "the man" in Washington.  In Cleveland he would be "the bridge"

One last thought.  Given the skins are at 13 in round 1 so they are on the outside looking in at this QB class, but it points to the fact the Redskins have seen enough to think they aren't interested participating in trying to get one of those guys up top.  Just a thought.

You’re assuming the Redskins are competent and make competent decisions. You fleeced us. Congrats, Fuller is a baller. 

Theres some sense in this for Washington ... if this FO had proven capable of making good decisions in the past. I like smith. I think we have a good young defense that was hammered by injuries and CB was our biggest strength. We get a 3rd in 2019 as compensatory for Cousins. But we get older and now won’t even have the joy of attempting a rebuild with a rookie QB around some of the talent we’ve built. Allen is a bafoon. Exhibit A and B being Cousins handling and McCloughsn handling if you didn’t want to look more than 2 years back, to include the previous 6 ridiculous years of BS mismanagement (McNabb, RG3?)

44 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkinsfan said:

You’re assuming the Redskins are competent and make competent decisions. You fleeced us. Congrats, Fuller is a baller. 

Theres some sense in this for Washington ... if this FO had proven capable of making good decisions in the past. I like smith. I think we have a good young defense that was hammered by injuries and CB was our biggest strength. We get a 3rd in 2019 as compensatory for Cousins. But we get older and now won’t even have the joy of attempting a rebuild with a rookie QB around some of the talent we’ve built. Allen is a bafoon. Exhibit A and B being Cousins handling and McCloughsn handling if you didn’t want to look more than 2 years back, to include the previous 6 ridiculous years of BS mismanagement (McNabb, RG3?)

Hey, not to worry. I think RG3 is still available.

;)

WSS

12 hours ago, darren15 said:

QB Alex Smith and Washington now have reached an agreement on a new four-year contract extension, per sources. Smith, who had one year left on his contact, tied to Washington for next five seasons. Smith gets long-term deal from Washington that Cousins could not.

4 years and something like 70 million guraranteed.  That took the Browns out as they were just wanting a bridge guy...not a hugely paid long term guy.

12 hours ago, Mark O said:

LaCanfora just said on twitter that Cousins is looking at a $120 million deal and thinks its the Jets.

Honestly...I am fine with that.   While our next Franchise QB is not on this roster...I don't believe he is on any roster.  It will be a draftee.

9 hours ago, mjp28 said:

That would be my greatest worry for the BROWNS strike out on all of the better FA QBs and have to blow a #1 or 4 pick on a rookie savior QB in a so-so QB draft....and the beat goes on.

Also a big penalty for going 1-31 some already set for life QBs will pass, still collect another fortune to play for a halfway decent team. Cousins has to be holding some pretty good cards right about now. :D

That is NOT a concern to me.....for, as I said, our QBOTF is going to be someone we draft...not one of these veterans.

4 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

That is NOT a concern to me.....for, as I said, our QBOTF is going to be someone we draft...not one of these veterans.

I hope it doesn't happen but it's  looking more like one of these guys will be wearing a brown jersey at #1 or 4.

14 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Swell, now I'm all warm and fuzzy based off past Browns' QBOTF draftee results....... like a snuggly Christmas morning. 

1 hour ago, D Bone said:

Swell, now I'm all warm and fuzzy based off past Browns' QBOTF draftee results....... like a snuggly Christmas morning. 

More like a morning after New Years' night. Feeling sick about how Huey has another f'n QB to yank around on a chain and whisper sweet nothings in his ear.:huh:

3 hours ago, Bigalow80 said:

February 15th...That's the date all Browns fans need to keep in the back of their mind. The reason? This is AJ McCarron's hearing on whether he will be a restricted FA or an Unrestricted FA. I'm guessing he will lose his battle just because of the politics involved, but if he doesn't and does become an unrestricted FA, I think the Browns would much rather have him than Cousins. In fact, it would not surprise me if the browns go back to cincy if he is a RFA and try to make the trade again. For me, it's just a cost thing. I don't think you are giving McCarron $71 million guaranteed like Smith just got and that's the starting point for Cousins. When Dorsey made the original deal for Smith and then signed him to an extension, it was a fairly reasonable contract. I think you would see the same thing if they go after McCarron. $30 million guaranteed over 3 years? that's a lot for a back-up qb, but if you take a first round qb that gives you options if he falters in the back-end.

Problem is, as a RFA- the Bengals will tender him. How high is anyone's guess. It's not going to be about money in AJ's case as it relates to the Browns, it's going to be about the draft pick. You have to surrender YOUR pick in a given round. Second or first round tender? I would hope Dorsey doesn't think McCarron is worth our #33 on a second round tender, and for sure, he's not worth the #1 overall on a first. 

That scenario we wait out the Bengals for a year, and hate to say it our option looks like Glassman Bradford, cross our fingers, put him in bubble wrap, and hope he doesn't hurt himself sneezing. 

I don't see Cousins wanting anything to do with the Browns.

5 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Us & Jets have the cap..Just as many teams, Elway would have to cut/move players to build "Cap Cousins"..At what price do you want to win? vs. Money monsters..This bridge comes with fancy toll booths..As Hue has said "Interstate-I-31 comes with many rough patches";) I just don't see Cousins either, but Dorsey may see the winning moxie that this Sashi daycare needs?    

I see the Cousins toll starting at around 4 years and $120 million. Could go higher. 

Let's hear it for our new GM!!! ;)

14 hours ago, Orion said:

We really have only the draft option.......and/or a Josh McCown type.

If Cousins goes to the Jets, then we could just see the return of McC...

9 hours ago, Pat Mahomo said:

I'm not going to dispute that the Browns offered "more" but was it really better? From our (KC) point of view, what we got was a 3rd and something better than a 1st wich is a CB that we need...

Add that WSH was burned badly not too long ago moving up to take a QB.

Agree that in the end WSH put together a better package than we were obviously willing to do.

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

4 years and something like 70 million guraranteed.  That took the Browns out as they were just wanting a bridge guy...not a hugely paid long term guy.

Took us "out"? Do you think KC gave Smith a say in which deal they'd accept?

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

Problem is, as a RFA- the Bengals will tender him. How high is anyone's guess. It's not going to be about money in AJ's case as it relates to the Browns, it's going to be about the draft pick. You have to surrender YOUR pick in a given round. Second or first round tender? I would hope Dorsey doesn't think McCarron is worth our #33 on a second round tender, and for sure, he's not worth the #1 overall on a first. 

That scenario we wait out the Bengals for a year, and hate to say it our option looks like Glassman Bradford, cross our fingers, put him in bubble wrap, and hope he doesn't hurt himself sneezing. 

I don't see Cousins wanting anything to do with the Browns.

Unless they REALLY like AJ, I'd be baffled if he got more than a 2nd round tender. 1st round tender would come with a nearly 4 mil price tag if no one offered, and I would be more baffled if someone threw a 1st at him (even the browns).

2nd round though? Maybe. 

If Kirk is money first he will come here or the Jets. Denver could probably get close to 30 mil a year, but it'd be really hard for anyone else to get close. I'll give the dude credit, he gambled and won. That dude is gonna get PAID.

I think Kirk is after a ring, highly unlikely he'll come to the Browns unless they drastically overpay him and I don't think DePo will let that happen.  AJ McCarron is more realistic given how Hue and Haslam were chatting him up after the Bengals game and the botched trade deal where they actually tried to get him here. have to see what the results of the hearing are.  I wouldn't mind keeping things as Kizer, rookie + let Hogan and Kessler battle it out for QB3 but don't see it happening, Hue has mentioned getting a vet QB multiple times now and I think he has his sights set on AJ. let's hope they don't have to use any draft picks to get him.

Archived