THE BROWNS BOARD

Monday Morning QB...

Flugel

Not that this Superbowl will be remembered for a lot of defense; but the 1 team from PA that beat NE after December made Brady fumble at the perfect time. That will be remembered way more than the 505 yards Brady threw for.  Brady has always had unparalleled pocket awareness; and there were times in that game where Brady missed open Receivers/TE because of some pocket dynamics that compromised his comfort.  We're all very accustomed to seeing NE erase late deficits via Brady's completion percentage easily topping 60%.  Yesterday, something Philly did defensively kept him at 58% which was far from perfect but good enough to beat the GOAT in a 60 minute game.  Everybody remembered the helmet catch when the Giants beat NE but the Giants were able to compromise Brady's pocket both times they beat the GOAT (without blitzing) even more consistently than Philly did so they didn't need the basketball score to git-r-done....

You can have a Ben Rapen + a LeVeon Bell + an Antonio Brown but if you're not willing to play defense "Your Offense Won't Win Championships."  Last time Pittsburgh won a Superbowl vrs Arizona, the 14 point swing just before halftime was a 99 yard INT return for a TD by James Harrison.  If that doesn't happen - there is no comeback win at the end via the Santonio Holmes Pitt would cut about a year later...

Sometimes when you have a DEFENSE that can pressure a QB into a mistake (even a Hall of Famer) at just the right time  - you can beat a Jim Kelly with just a Jeff Hostetler or beat Tom Brady with just a Nick Foles or beat Elway with just a Doug Williams right?  We've seen it folks.  And isn't it amazing how much pressure that took off the backup QBs that won Superbowls (and Superbowl MVPs in 2 of those cases)?  Hostetler ended up getting a contract with the Raiders while Doug Williams had more time to remind Tampa fans they were wrong again about another QB.  Foles got to remind himself and maybe NFL teams looking for a short term vet QB - he's glad he didn't retire a couple years ago...  In other news, Washington is considering franchise tagging Cousins a 3rd consecutive time so they can force a desperate buyer into a trade. 

Unnoticed by some who were not paying attention was how many throws went off for Brady because of pressure on his normally intact OL. He had the talent to overcome it all until the final sack/fumble. The guy still has it whether Ghoolie can see it or not. He'll be back again next year.

if a team can get all the right players on the offense and defense at the same time - magic will happen,

even with an injury or two, back up qb can step in.

but you can't keep ignorantly drafting the guys who don't fit, don't care, aren't good enough for the pros...etc.

Dorsey and co ? I can't WAIT for this next draft.

As yesterday reminds us, the kickoff return game can either help you or hinder you further.   NE was racing the clock with only 1 timeout left when they tried to get cute with a reverse on the kickoff return that pinned them inside their 15 yard line.  They also missed 2 PATs earlier on which would have put them up by 3 points instead of 1 point when they finally grabbed a lead.  Philly WON the Special Teams phase of the game even if not by much.

Let's not overthink this stuff.  If Philly scored more points - what defense gave up less points?   Philly.

If Philly scored more points - what offense scored more points?  Philly.

So, in the 3 phases of football - Philly got the hat trick by winning all 3.  That's why they remain the only PA team that can beat NE after December. Have you noticed all of our black and gold trolls conveniently came down with laryngitis and disappeared like Houdini rabbits?  Gee, that wasn't predictable... 

And, I just heard this morning that the last 9 regular season NFL MVPs (all on offense) lost the Superbowl.

The irony of the QB thing is it was a QB that contemplated retirement 2 years ago (Foles) against a 40 year old QB (Brady) who performed his way to a League MVP honor.   The guy who got supported better by his Defense and his STs - got the 8 point victory.   Having a HC with the grapefruits in groin to go for it inside his own 50 on 4th down and go for a TD instead of a FG at the 1 put an adorable tuxedo on Foles' Cindafeller story!

16 minutes ago, Flugel said:

As yesterday reminds us, the kickoff return game can either help you or hinder you further.   NE was racing the clock with only 1 timeout left when they tried to get cute with a reverse on the kickoff return that pinned them inside their 15 yard line.  They also missed 2 PATs earlier on which would have put them up by 3 points instead of 1 point when they finally grabbed a lead.  Philly WON the Special Teams phase of the game even if not by much.

Let's not overthink this stuff.  If Philly scored more points - what defense gave up less points?   Philly.

If Philly scored more points - what offense scored more points?  Philly.

So, in the 3 phases of football - Philly got the hat trick by winning all 3.  That's why they remain the only PA team that can beat NE after December. Have you noticed all of our black and gold trolls conveniently came down with laryngitis and disappeared like Houdini rabbits?  Gee, that wasn't predictable... 

And, I just heard this morning that the last 9 regular season NFL MVPs (all on offense) lost the Superbowl.

Actually, even further to your points about Special Teams, it was an XP and a FG

28 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

You guys forget Philly's missed XP and then their failed 2 point conversion?

No, I hadn't, just was clarified. But that 2 point conversion isn't special teams

39 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

You guys forget Philly's missed XP and then their failed 2 point conversion?

Good point Aggies!  Believe it or not, even though I didn't type it - I accounted for that in this choice of wording: "Philly WON the Special Teams phase of the game even if not by much."   The tie breaker was the late kickoff NE tried to do the reverse on which backfired primarily because Philly didn't get out of position.  They kept their spacing/lane discipline and caged it in while maintaining outside contain on both sides.  Meanwhile the kicker put the right amount of air under it to make that kind of kickoff coverage possible. I also think the late FG to get them up 8 points by their rookie kicker helped me favor Philly's Special Teams.

4 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Isn't it?   Do they consider a 2 pt. try an offensive play....or a special teams play?  Just curious.

It doesn't count in stats, but your offense is out there. 

5 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Does it count in Special Teams stats?  I assume they keep those, no?

No. Only special teams stats thst would be kept is kicking and returning. The yardage from a 2 pt play isn't factored into anything

20 hours ago, The Gipper said:

OK....Except, of course...most importantly...the score!!:ph34r:

Neither is the yardage on an EP kick.

On 2/5/2018 at 9:13 AM, Flugel said:

Having a HC with the grapefruits in groin to go for it inside his own 50 on 4th down and go for a TD instead of a FG at the 1 put an adorable tuxedo on Foles' Cindafeller story!

I think this is the most underreported storyline... I think we have a new HC-Sheriff in town and his name is Pederson.

The Eagles were very well prepared... at least the equal of the Pats in this regard. Not something we've said about many Pat opponents in recent years. One key seemed to be matching up Jenkins on the Pat RBs to minimize their impact in the Pat passing attack. One other, the extensive use of the RPO, was not news, but was key.

Other misc. musings...

• Nice to see my original Darkhorse QB come in from the cold... and...
  • It doesn't hurt that Foles also gave my "Don't anoint Wentz just yet" stance a significant boost.
  • I don't know if the low number of penalties was due to the quality of the teams or a league decision to have the Refs swallow their whistles, but overall it was a welcome change. There were a couple egregious holds let go (one on Kelce early in particular), but still overall... welcome. They let the players play.
  • Great no call on the Eagles KO of Cooks. Clearly a runner... also...
  • As much as I agree on the review decision on Ertz's go-ahead TD, I can't help but believe that were he blasted by a Safety as he launched for the GL a "Defenseless Receiver flag" would have been thrown.
  • On the other hand not overturning Clements TD non-catch was one of the worst reviews of the season.

3 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

I think this is the most underreported storyline... I think we have a new HC-Sheriff in town and his name is Pederson.

The Eagles were very well prepared... at least the equal of the Pats in this regard. Not something we've said about many Pat opponents in recent years. One key seemed to be matching up Jenkins on the Pat RBs to minimize their impact in the Pat passing attack. One other, the extensive use of the RPO, was not news, but was key.

Other misc. musings...

• Nice to see my original Darkhorse QB come in from the cold... and...
  • It doesn't hurt that Foles also gave my "Don't anoint Wentz just yet" stance a significant boost.
  • I don't know if the low number of penalties was due to the quality of the teams or a league decision to have the Refs swallow their whistles, but overall it was a welcome change. There were a couple egregious holds let go (one on Kelce early in particular), but still overall... welcome. They let the players play.
  • Great no call on the Eagles KO of Cooks. Clearly a runner... also...
  • As much as I agree on the review decision on Ertz's go-ahead TD, I can't help but believe that were he blasted by a Safety as he launched for the GL a "Defenseless Receiver flag" would have been thrown.
  • On the other hand not overturning Clements TD non-catch was one of the worst reviews of the season.

Cooks had obviously turned into a runner, but helmet to helmet is still a penalty. It's just called differently. The announcers said it wrong as well

53 minutes ago, Gunz41 said:

Cooks had obviously turned into a runner, but helmet to helmet is still a penalty. It's just called differently. The announcers said it wrong as well

Fell under the exception to the rule... as apparently does every contact to and by a runner. Has it ever been called?

5 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Fell under the exception to the rule... as apparently does every contact to and by a runner. Has it ever been called?

I'm not understanding your question. What I am saying is there is hit to a defenseless player and then can be helmet to helmet contact on someone who has established as a runner. And sure it has been called

Archived