THE BROWNS BOARD

Saquon Barkley Combine Bound

hoorta

8 minutes ago, hoorta said:

On a relative scale- cats are way more athletic than humans. That 18" inch tall cat can easily jump 3 times it's height.  Don't think Saquon can high jump 15 feet.  :) A cat that's more human sized (a cheetah) can hit 70 mph in a short burst.  LOL my money's definitely on the cheetah in a 40.   

Oh come on, SAQUON BARKLEY is super human. Didn't you hear about all of his feats. Here is one. Cat doesn't stand a chance.

Cathedral_of_Learning_stitch_1-copy.jpg?

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This guy's got nothin' on me. I'm pretty sure I set the land speed record for humans running to a bunker to get away from incoming rockets. I passed several others doing exactly the same thing in Nha Trang one night. LOL!:lol:

2 minutes ago, Gunz41 said:

Oh come on, SAQUON BARKLEY is super human. Didn't you hear about all of his feats. Here is one. Cat doesn't stand a chance.

That IS NOT the EMPIRE STATE BUILDING! :ph34r:

lol Did you make this? :) 

3 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

This guy's got nothin' on me. I'm pretty sure I set the land speed record for humans running to a bunker to get away from incoming rockets. I passed several others doing exactly the same thing in Nha Thrang one night. LOL!:lol:

I totally believe you. It all depends on the moment. One time a friend of mine said I moved like the matrix, said tracers and something about moving in frames. I only believe it because I was very quick back in the day. Quickest I've ever seen. White lightning, quick silver... what my brothas used to call me anyway. 

9 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

That IS NOT the EMPIRE STATE BUILDING! :ph34r:

lol Did you make this? :) 

No. And where did you get empire state building from?

I put in Saquon Barkley meme and it came up

22 minutes ago, Gunz41 said:

No. And where did you get empire state building from?

I put in Saquon Barkley meme and it came up

Duh :huh: ,,,because he can jump over the Empire State Building, remember. That building was tiny- gotta give credit where credits due my dawg. 

- I always forget to use the pink font...

14 hours ago, PoeticG said:

Really though, how great of a name is Saquon Barkley for the Cleveland Browns. 

Seems he was born for this. You guys don't sense the force in this one? 

Now you are getting into like dementia.

How great of a name is Saquon Barkley for the Browns?   Not great at all.  It kind of sucks. Why would you think that made up freeking name if any good?  

A great name for a Brown is say:   Jim Brown. 

Or are you just going with the "Bark" thing and the Dawg Pound?  That is stretching it and is kinda stupid. 

So....the ONLY way it would be a great name for the Browns is if we take him....and he becomes the next best thing to Jim Brown this league has ever seen. (if the Browns did draft him...they I would hope he would be that)

14 hours ago, Gunz41 said:

No, its not the Empire State Building....it is that Tower in Austin Texas where the guy got up and shot and killed like 10-12 people.  You know....a weekly occurrence this day and age.

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

No, its not the Empire State Building....it is that Tower in Austin Texas where the guy got up and shot and killed like 10-12 people.  You know....a weekly occurrence this day and age.

I just looked it up again. It says it is the Cathedral of Learning at Pitt

I think you might have recalled that I said that he had a fitting name for the Dawgpound. I never said he would be as good as I'm saying Barkley is. 

4 hours ago, PoeticG said:

I think you might have recalled that I said that he had a fitting name for the Dawgpound. I never said he would be as good as I'm saying Barkley is. 

Bark-ley-ville?

Barkless if they don't pick him? :lol:

Some are claiming to like Barkley but not more that a franchise QB. I get it. Having to watch QBs struggle all year, going 0-16, enduring a parade in frostbite temperatures - it's enough to cloud ones better judgement. I would absolutely love to be able to get Barkley #4. It would be great to settle the QB position first and still get the vital piece that is going to allow him to be successful. However, there's no evidence to suggest that is going to be the case. There are way to many arrows that can point to either NY or INDY taking Saquon. 

The good news is- there's ONE way that you can have both. I even get that some people think we're settling for a QB at #4 but that's just how you are looking at it. 

The ONLY WAY you are getting both is to take Barkley #1 Overall. You assure the fans that you will do whatever it takes to win, even drafting a RB #1. The Giants are believed to already have the card with Barkley's name on it, ready to be turned in if given the chance. 

One way you can look at this is, every player in the draft is one our team and you have to pick one to keep and cut the rest. You are going to be very hard pressed to have Barkley as your starting RB and then let him walk. 

Saquon is absolutely worth the first pick. He's the best football player, he's someone that affects the way the defense looks at the team. Barkley makes the Browns a very dangerous team. Like you said, Gordon, Coleman, Njoku, Duke Johnson and even the OL are going to benefit from Barkley.  Even more so than all the other positions- WHOEVER plays QB is getting a huge bonus! 

Bucky says it pretty well- Barkley is a solar system player, build around him.

Tomlinson compares Barkley to himself. Nice.

Just watch the video! I hope you're ready! :lol: This is the greatest reaction video ever. LOL! I was cracking UP! 

2 hours ago, PoeticG said:

Some are claiming to like Barkley but not more that a franchise QB. I get it. Having to watch QBs struggle all year, going 0-16, enduring a parade in frostbite temperatures - it's enough to cloud ones better judgement. I would absolutely love to be able to get Barkley #4. It would be great to settle the QB position first and still get the vital piece that is going to allow him to be successful. However, there's no evidence to suggest that is going to be the case. There are way to many arrows that can point to either NY or INDY taking Saquon. 

The good news is- there's ONE way that you can have both. I even get that some people think we're settling for a QB at #4 but that's just how you are looking at it. 

The ONLY WAY you are getting both is to take Barkley #1 Overall. You assure the fans that you will do whatever it takes to win, even drafting a RB #1. The Giants are believed to already have the card with Barkley's name on it, ready to be turned in if given the chance. 

One way you can look at this is, every player in the draft is one our team and you have to pick one to keep and cut the rest. You are going to be very hard pressed to have Barkley as your starting RB and then let him walk. 

Saquon is absolutely worth the first pick. He's the best football player, he's someone that affects the way the defense looks at the team. Barkley makes the Browns a very dangerous team. Like you said, Gordon, Coleman, Njoku, Duke Johnson and even the OL are going to benefit from Barkley.  Even more so than all the other positions- WHOEVER plays QB is getting a huge bonus! 

Bucky says it pretty well- Barkley is a solar system player, build around him.

Can't have everything Po, Franchise QB trumps Running Back. The Super Bowl starting running backs were a UFA and fifth round pick. If we lose out on Saquon- he's not the only running back in this very deep draft.   And regarding Ladanian Tomlinson- who I did want the Browns to draft- and didn't get drafted #1 overall- never made the Super Bowl. 

Regarding your faulty analogy. Put Barkley on the Packers- who goes first- Rodgers or Barkley? If you say Rodgers, you're smoking some really good stuff. 

Don't be hallucinating the Giants and Colts already know who they're going to draft either. NO team in the league- not even the Browns who can draft whoever the hell they want to at #1 aren't 100% certain at this point. 

Go ahead- keep being in denial the Giants may well draft Eli's replacement, and the Colts aren't trading down with Denver or the Jets. Or picking up a bodyguard to keep Luck in one piece. 

This guy does a pretty good job explaining it. 

I agree with you though, I can't be mad if we take a QB #1 and take Barkley #4. I will laugh until the season start and all will be right with the world... Because we will then go to the Superbowl. And we will win it. Because the chance of Barkley being there at #4 is just as likely. 

I think it's pretty consensus that we use our #1 and #4 on a QB/RB combo. The order is what I feel is the issue. If you could get your choice of QB at #4 would you then be okay with taking Barkley #1? Because then it goes down to the psychology or the dogma.  

To get the offense going and to truly start to build some momentum, to actually have the defense's back and to put up a fight. 

I think that this is the most important Draft I can remember, we are certainly at a crossroads. 

#1 and #4 could turn out so many ways. Had we only had a single top 5 pick I think that this would be much simpler to logic out.

With 2 picks in the top 4 this issue is going to be magnified- because what happens if the QB taken #1 Overall busts AND we don't get Barkley at #4... it'd be some dark days. Especially if even 1 of the projected 1st round QBs turns out better than our #1 guy and Barkley gets OROTY.   

4 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Never take a HB that high when you have so many other holes. End of story. 

I respect your opinion although I do not agree with it. 

What holes are you speaking of because we also have a glaring hole at RB now. Daisey Duke's are not the answer.

CB at #4 Overall? Or is Fitz a FS? Does it matter though, Never take a CB that high when you have so many other holes. End of story.

See, it's simply an opinion, or rather a difference of opinion. 

Do you subscribe to the best player available philosophy or do you draft to fill holes? Or is it a combination of the two? Which takes precedence, and why? So you see, far from being the end of the story, we've simply glanced over the table of contents. 

You can't just repeat what I said about CBs and act like you're right....

There is a history of two things hurting Barkley.

1) HB talent us repeatedly found in later rounds. 

2) HBs are becoming a lower priority position. 

You're then using the #1 overall pick on a less important position that can be filled throughout the draft.

You can't go purely BPA because our roster is not there. Even then, you need to think about the relatives value of the position. 

If we can't get a top vet QB, I think we "have" to take our top target at 1. Then Fitz at 4. A position of greater need and greater value than HB.

5 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

You can't just repeat what I said about CBs and act like you're right....

There is a history of two things hurting Barkley.

1) HB talent us repeatedly found in later rounds. 

2) HBs are becoming a lower priority position. 

You're then using the #1 overall pick on a less important position that can be filled throughout the draft.

You can't go purely BPA because our roster is not there. Even then, you need to think about the relatives value of the position. 

If we can't get a top vet QB, I think we "have" to take our top target at 1. Then Fitz at 4. A position of greater need and greater value than HB.

1) Talent at ALL positions can be found in later rounds, correct? 

2) I would disagree that HBs are becoming a lower priority position, I would say the opposite. It's about the player and the skillset. Many teams, have proven that you get a lot of production from the HB position now because defenses have geared up for the passing attack. The more dominant backs are proving difficult for teams to stop because of this. If you can get a HB in open space against a team's smaller players it becomes a nightmare for defenses. 

Where would our roster be exactly, in terms of what our needs are, from your standards?

Mine- QB and RB are the only real holes I see. Maybe if I'm being picky- CB, WR, S? Much later though.

Breaking it down.

CB- McCourty, Taylor, Calhoun are pretty good. Don't forget about Howard Wilson, who was looking pretty good until the injury. He should be back healthy this year. Could we use a player here? Sure, but trumping BPA for a positon that is pretty solid seems like a luxury pick for me.

WR- Gordon, Coleman, Coates, Higgins, Louis. Not seeing the "Need" to trump BPA here as you already have a #1 WR.

SS or FS? I like what Kindred does out there, I like Peppers too. What roles they play, how they are used and why they are used that way are more important questions. Because if you spend the #4 on a player like Fitzpatrick and you put him at midfield, much like Peppers was used, you're going to get the same amount of production. Again, I like Fitzpatrick but I'm not seeing the need to trump BPA. So I guess I don't see where our roster would need to be in order to start taking the best players. IMO that's the only way we get better. 

An example- Last year we took Garrett #1 because he was the best player. I didn't think that we needed to go that route because we had Nassib and Ogbah at the ends. But we took Garrett. Now we have Garrett, Nassib and Ogbah. Garrett is a lock on one side and Nassib and Ogbah hold down the other. We no longer need to draft DE. We took Njoku and we already had DeValve, he's doing well, no NEED to draft a TE now with both DeValve and Njoku.

When you start to draft for your Need you get picks like Kizer. Now you've picked him high enough that you HAVE to play him.  

I think the best scenario would be to get Cousins or McCarron in FA. Draft Barkley #1 and Fitzpatrick #4 (FS and Peppers at SS). Hopefully get a stud C at the top of the second, solidify the OL. We'd have to know where Thomas is, if he's coming back and what the timeline is for finding his replacement, because finding a LT becomes a need in a hurry if Thomas is done. You might have to trade back into the first to secure one of these guys like McGlinchey, Williams or Brown.  

5 hours ago, PoeticG said:

This guy does a pretty good job explaining it. 

I agree with you though, I can't be mad if we take a QB #1 and take Barkley #4. I will laugh until the season start and all will be right with the world... Because we will then go to the Superbowl. And we will win it. Because the chance of Barkley being there at #4 is just as likely. 

I think it's pretty consensus that we use our #1 and #4 on a QB/RB combo. The order is what I feel is the issue. If you could get your choice of QB at #4 would you then be okay with taking Barkley #1? Because then it goes down to the psychology or the dogma.  

To get the offense going and to truly start to build some momentum, to actually have the defense's back and to put up a fight. 

I think that this is the most important Draft I can remember, we are certainly at a crossroads. 

#1 and #4 could turn out so many ways. Had we only had a single top 5 pick I think that this would be much simpler to logic out.

With 2 picks in the top 4 this issue is going to be magnified- because what happens if the QB taken #1 Overall busts AND we don't get Barkley at #4... it'd be some dark days. Especially if even 1 of the projected 1st round QBs turns out better than our #1 guy and Barkley gets OROTY.   

That isn't even "consensus" Po. Most of the mocks have the Browns going QB\Fitzpatrick. I've seen a few where Barkley falls all the way to #9 to the 49ers. 

But I can't get over you're so paranoid about losing Barkley you spewed the Giants already are taking him if the Browns go QB at #1. Sorry, that's one of the dumber things you've ever posted. Do you have any idea how Front Offices work? At this point, teams don't even have their draft boards set. They may have players roughly ranked A, B, C, or D prospects. May set up a rough preliminary draft after the combine. It won't get serious until after the pro days, private workouts and interviews- up until a week before the draft. 

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

33 pages and counting of Barkley nonsense.

It's almost impressive. 

By far the most captivating thoughts....

On 2/17/2018 at 6:37 PM, PoeticG said:

Bark-ley-ville?

Barkless if they don't pick him? :lol:

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

33 pages and counting of Barkley nonsense.

It's almost impressive. 

Almost? IS. And Tour's so mad at me for shutting the other thread down he's on vacation...  :( 

I'll let this one go to 20 pages, or the Combine whichever comes first.  Then time for a new one. 

Great article on Barkley and the Combine... http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/saquon-barkely-nfl-combine-mock-draft-running-back-first-round/glze8toz3jz81f8q5odpr22ps

-------------------------------------------------------

Saquon Barkley loved watching the NFL Scouting Combine on television.

That's one of the reasons the star Penn State running back is about to pay it forward for those who also get their kicks watching draft-evaluation drills.Unlike other elite prospects who previously have shunned Combine participation in favor of more comfortable surroundings at their schools' Pro Days and private team workouts, Barkley is good to go for Indianapolis in late February.

"I've been watching the Combine since I was a little kid," Barkley told co-host Gil Brandt and me Wednesday on SiriusXM NFL Radio. "That’s something I dreamed about doing. Getting an invitation was special. You definitely want to take advantage of the opportunity you’ve got there."

In his case, that could be elevating himself to the top spot in April’s draft if Cleveland decides Barkley is too promising to pass up.

The Browns, who hold the Nos. 1 and 4 overall picks, aren't the only club with a high choice that could use a bell-cow rusher who can also thrive as a receiver and kick returner. The Giants (No. 2) and Colts (No. 3) both averaged less than 4 yards per carry in 2017.

Nobody could blame the Broncos (No. 5), the Jets (No. 6) or the Buccaneers (No. 7), either, if they considered trading up to land a 21-year-old phenom who became Penn State's second all-time leading rusher in just three seasons before turning pro as a junior.

"Obviously, I'm not blind to the teams that do need a running back," Barkley said. "But you can't really look too far ahead at what teams may pick you.

"The way I look at it, every team fits me or I can fit any team because at the end of the day you want to adapt to the team and coaches that pick you. I don't look at myself as a one-dimensional back. I look at myself as a back that can do it all and is going to continue to work and grow in every part of the game. Whatever team drafts me is going to get a person who’s going to try and be the best."

That attitude is reflected in Barkley’s approach to the Combine.

Barkley has spent the past several weeks prepping with renowned trainer Tom Shaw in Lake Buena Vista, Fla. Barkley said that work includes "little stuff like how you run a 40 (yard dash) with the start, how many steps you take in the (short) shuttle and where you put your hands for the bench press."

"To be out there with some of the best of the best and the best at your position … It's not a competitive event but it really is, if you think about it," Barkley said. “I just want to do the best I possibly can to not only challenge myself but challenge the other backs in there, too.

"I'm not just going to bash anybody that decides not to (participate). Everyone’s entitled to their own opinion. But me, I think it’s important. It helps you see where you’re at personally and against competitors who are competing for the same spot as you."

One area in which Barkley need not worry is the interview process with NFL teams at the Combine. He received high marks for his character while at Penn State and by all accounts has a squeaky-clean background.

"The way I'm going to attack (the interviews) is to be honest and open and just let it all out there because I feel like I don't have anything to hide," Barkley said. “I give credit to my family, coaches and friends that have kept me in line at school and made sure I didn't make dumb decision.

Unlike some other prospects who might feel uncomfortable about the 15-minute "get-to-know-you" sessions at the Combine, Barkley is looking forward to learning more about his potential suitors.

"As they're asking you questions, you're getting to know the people that you might be surrounding yourself with,” he said. "You never know — that team might be the team that drafts you and you want to give a good first impression.

"They want to give a good first impression, too, because that's where you’ll be playing for the next five or 10 years."

Barkley isn't blowing smoke about having a big-picture vision. He said part of his Combine prep has focused on bettering his flexibility along with other training methods designed to increase his chances for NFL success and longevity.

The only thing Barkley can't control is where that career will begin.

"The biggest thing I’ve just been thinking about is that my life is going to change in a matter of two months," Barkley said. "I'm going to be in a new city with a new team living my dream.

"It's exciting to think about it. It gets me fired up because I’m passionate about this game. I fell in love with this sport at a young age and everything that I’ve worked for is coming all together."

Everyone who watches the Combine should find that out soon enough.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pog, now you are just lying, or was lying before.

I gave you 2 options before, ANY QB at #1 AND Barkley at #4 OR #1 Barkley and what could be your #3 quarterback at #4. You picked to take #1 Barkley and #4 a Quarterback.

And you have also said how monumental and great it would be to have a RB go #1. So you chose to have Barkley at 1. So from your words it wouldn't be great to get the QB at 1 and Barkley at 4.

22 minutes ago, Gunz41 said:

Pog, now you are just lying, or was lying before.

I gave you 2 options before, ANY QB at #1 AND Barkley at #4 OR #1 Barkley and what could be your #3 quarterback at #4. You picked to take #1 Barkley and #4 a Quarterback.

And you have also said how monumental and great it would be to have a RB go #1. So you chose to have Barkley at 1. So from your words it wouldn't be great to get the QB at 1 and Barkley at 4.

It's hopeless Gunz.  If Barkley is gone at #4 we take BPA there, (Fitzpatrick or Chubb) and take our pick of the plethora of good running backs that will be there at #33. Po has got it in his mind positively, without a doubt, Saquon is going in the top three picks.  Hell's Bells, there's two possible scenarios where the Browns would draft him #1 overall- both unlikely. First is we land Cousins in free agency. Second is we have all of the top three quarterbacks ranked exactly equally. We've posited this around 10 times already, and Po's not listening.  I've never seen this much fixation on a draft prospect- ever. Hey, I happen to like Baker Mayfield a lot- you don't see me starting 30 pages of the same garbage why he's our only best option at the top of the draft. 

Let's take a look at a line from that article he posted... "Nobody could blame the Broncos (No. 5), the Jets (No. 6) or the Buccaneers (No. 7), either, if they considered trading up to land a 21-year-old phenom who became Penn State's second all-time leading rusher in just three seasons before turning pro as a junior."

Nobody could blame the Broncos or Jets for trading up to take a Quarterback either. Jags jumping the Browns for a running back would flat-out be too costly draft wise.  

He might want to read what one of the guys he quoted- Bucky Brooks said- why the Steelers shouldn't pay Le'veon Bell. And why in today's NFL, taking a running back high is a 4 year proposition before they're used up. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000916582/article/steelers-shouldnt-pay-leveon-bell-johnny-manziels-best-path

10 hours ago, hoorta said:

It's hopeless Gunz.  If Barkley is gone at #4 we take BPA there, (Fitzpatrick or Chubb) and take our pick of the plethora of good running backs that will be there at #33. Po has got it in his mind positively, without a doubt, Saquon is going in the top three picks.  Hell's Bells, there's two possible scenarios where the Browns would draft him #1 overall- both unlikely. First is we land Cousins in free agency. Second is we have all of the top three quarterbacks ranked exactly equally. We've posited this around 10 times already, and Po's not listening.  I've never seen this much fixation on a draft prospect- ever. Hey, I happen to like Baker Mayfield a lot- you don't see me starting 30 pages of the same garbage why he's our only best option at the top of the draft. 

Let's take a look at a line from that article he posted... "Nobody could blame the Broncos (No. 5), the Jets (No. 6) or the Buccaneers (No. 7), either, if they considered trading up to land a 21-year-old phenom who became Penn State's second all-time leading rusher in just three seasons before turning pro as a junior."

Nobody could blame the Broncos or Jets for trading up to take a Quarterback either. Jags jumping the Browns for a running back would flat-out be too costly draft wise.  

He might want to read what one of the guys he quoted- Bucky Brooks said- why the Steelers shouldn't pay Le'veon Bell. And why in today's NFL, taking a running back high is a 4 year proposition before they're used up. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000916582/article/steelers-shouldnt-pay-leveon-bell-johnny-manziels-best-path

It may be hopeless, and I certainly have gotten used to the best ever stuff. That wasn't the issue with this post.

I really wanted to see where his priority was when I asked recently. There was 2 scenarios: 1. Top QB (whether that's Baker, Darnold, Allen, Rosen, etc) and even gave them hypothetical "rankings", AND Barkley at 4 or Barkley at 1 and 3rd QB at 4, he chose the latter.

So he is more concerned about Barkley going number 1 for the looks of Barkley going 1 than getting the best players. He said as much. So he lied saying he would love to get QB at 1 and Barkley 4.

One of these times he lied.

Archived