THE BROWNS BOARD

The case AGAINST Barkley

Im not saying he isn't a very interesting prospect, but there are some concerns that need to be discussed.

1. Lack of experience in a pro style offense. The majority of his carries came from the shotgun. 

2. Tendency to bounce outside. His superior atheticism allowed him to get around the corner often, but will he be able to that at the next level?

3. Dead legs. Barkley hits holes with authority, but when he meets a defender his legs stop moving most of the time. He reminds me of Crowell in this regard.

4. Questionable balance. There were alot of yards left on the field due to Barkley slipping and falling. I think he plays faster than his feet will allow.

I feel like he could be a special player, but I think there is more risk than people acknowledge. If we pick him #1 i won't be upset, but I think Penny, Chubb, and Guice are better value picks. 

4 minutes ago, Louisville Slugger said:

2. Tendency to bounce outside. His superior atheticism allowed him to get around the corner often, but will he be able to that at the next level?

He will realize, "Holy Crap these guys are fast!" when he's in the NFL trying that move.

So nobody should risk a #1 pick on him? How high is too high 5, 10?

An absolute need player pick?

20 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

So nobody should risk a #1 pick on him?

That's a good point.

Seems like, the teams that could afford to take him aren't picking high enough in the draft. (they're too good).  And the teams picking high enough have REAL needs at QB or pass rusher (the two top positions on current day NFL rosters).  If you don't have a good QB then the RB's don't do ya much good because defenses can take that away if they're not worried about you burning them through the air.  The running game is much more like accompaniment than in the old 'Jim Brown days'.  (even then it was 3 TD passes to Gary Collins that won the championship for us in '64).

He'll REALLY HELP a good team...but he won't have a whole lot of affect on a team that cannot pass the ball. 

Dorsey came to us at a great time.  He was able to watch the team in action for 4 weeks.  So he KNOWS that our QB play was poor and that our receivers are poor.  There's no way he's gonna count on Josh Gordon (who would).  He's seen that Coleman leaves a lot to be desired.  Therefore he KNOWS that we cannot function in the passing game.

He also knows that Crow will be leaving.  Hue hasn't got much good to say about Crow and Crow must hate him for it.  So, we WILL need a RB. But I certainly don't see him spending a real high pick on one.

1 hour ago, Louisville Slugger said:

I feel like he could be a special player, but I think there is more risk than people acknowledge. If we pick him #1 i won't be upset, but I think Penny, Chubb, and Guice are better value picks. 

That's where I'm at.   You can find a back who will give you a whole lot of performance in round 2.

7 minutes ago, SD_Tom said:

Screenshot_20180306-192219.png

LOL- That's because only a handful of defensive players actually had a chance to get a hand on him. When you can get us the statistic of how many defenders Sheet their pants, grabbed air and ate a mouthful of grass... then we can talk. 

Penny is good, no doubt, I've even advocated drafting him if he's there after the 3rd round as a supplemental player/returner. But make no mistake, he a better Crowell. 

5 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

LOL- That's because only a handful of defensive players actually had a chance to get a hand on him. When you can get us the statistic of how many defenders Sheet their pants, grabbed air and ate a mouthful of grass... then we can talk. 

Penny is good, no doubt, I've even advocated drafting him if he's there after the 3rd round as a supplemental player/returner. But make no mistake, he a better Crowell. 

Barkleys cuts are Barry Sanders like ( when he can stay on his feet) but as an overall RB I like Penny better. I would target him at #33.

I like Penny, he's nice, but show me something special if you want me to believe he's worth being mentioned in the same breath as Barkley. 

I see nice with Penny, nice, but not special. Watch this video and look at the blocking Penny has and the Competition he faced. San Jose State? Hawaii? Horrible, glorified HS teams... 

Barkley played in the cold weather of our neighboring state and played some of the closest competition to what you can see in college to the NFL. 

Watch the tape and tell me with a straight face that the circumstance of Penny and Barkley are even remotely relatable... remotely. 

1 minute ago, PoeticG said:

Saquon is far more Crowell like than Penny.  Penny is one cut and gone like Zeke was. I think he's tougher and nastier. My concern is it seems all barkleys big plays are a lot of east west cuts and speed to the outside. He was spotty in college against some lesser competition.  So he'll 100% dominate Against NFL defensive speed? We'll find out soon. 

4 minutes ago, Louisville Slugger said:

Barkleys cuts are Barry Sanders like ( when he can stay on his feet) but as an overall RB I like Penny better. I would target him at #33.

I listen to SD radio on the way to and from work.  It's considered an insult that penny wasn't even a finalist for Doak walker award when he was the leading rusher.  Wasn't a Heisman finalist... Isn't even mentioned in the "other running backs" videos or promos. 

His brother is already an NFLer.  He balled in the Sr bowl.  He got over 200 yds rushing his last 4 games in a row.  He ran a sub 4.5 at the combine, is 5'11 220. Also,  he's only been the starter one year.  Not many miles,  just like Alvin Kamara.  He's coming into his prime and he's got a chip on his shoulder 

I'd love this guy on the Browns,  but I rarely see him mentioned above rd 3 or 4.  That's insane to me.  Truly underrated this kid.  

Go ahead and tell a defense that they gotta chase a 230 pound Kangaroo around the field all game long and pay no attention to the Gordon sized Elephant about to take the top off the defense.

YOU GUYS ARE INSAIN!!! BUT I LOVE YOU CRAZY ShmuckS! THINK ABOUT GORDON AND BARKLEY AS A 1 - 2 PUNCH.... Shmucking NUTS YA ShmuckS YA. 

Dude... seriously. Let's just get them both. I love the running game. This is a great insurance policy in case anybody dings up the Bugotti. We can stand pat and "run" our gameplan as planned. 

To be completely honest. I love Penny. The first time I watched him I saw Josh Cribbs reincarnated. For that reason I loved him first. 

Newest Highlight Video I could find. 

My favorite so far.

33 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

I like Penny, he's nice, but show me something special if you want me to believe he's worth being mentioned in the same breath as Barkley. 

I see nice with Penny, nice, but not special. Watch this video and look at the blocking Penny has and the Competition he faced. San Jose State? Hawaii? Horrible, glorified HS teams... 

Barkley played in the cold weather of our neighboring state and played some of the closest competition to what you can see in college to the NFL. 

Watch the tape and tell me with a straight face that the circumstance of Penny and Barkley are even remotely relatable... remotely. 

175 yds vs Stanford. 216 yds vs ASU.  He can only play who's on the schedule. He didn't fold vs good teams,  he rose to the occasion 

his reel from ASU game is crazy good. 90+ yds return and rushing td

5 minutes ago, Louisville Slugger said:

I really do like Barkley but I think this is an outstanding group of RBs. Imagine Barkley at #1, trading back with the Cardinals at 15, landing Lamar Jackson plus picks and Mathieu. Good luck stopping that.

Chris Simms likes Jackson as his #1 qb.  And thinks barkley is amazing.  Both superb athletes.  Jackson can be a superstar in the right system.  He's going to crush the 40 at his pro day. 

1 hour ago, Louisville Slugger said:

Simms maybe a little biased. He went to a high school that was right by my old high school. His son went to Louisville then transferred to Tennessee if I'm not mistaken. Either way I agree with him this year. All of the top 5 guys have concerns but Lamar offers something special 

He's an insane athletic talent. 

4 hours ago, PoeticG said:

I was waiting for the YAC on Saquon- and as I suspected, it's not very good....   

When was he last time an elite RB has won the Super Bowl?  Marshawn Lynch won in 2014 behind Russell Wilson and an elite defense, but it's kind of surprising to see the lack of superstar RB's like LaDanian Tomlinson win the SB in the past decade or so.

As much as I want Barkley, give me Bradley Chubb/Minkah and get a stud RB like Ronald Jones in the 2nd round.

1 hour ago, JimboJones said:

When was he last time an elite RB has won the Super Bowl?  Marshawn Lynch won in 2014 behind Russell Wilson and an elite defense, but it's kind of surprising to see the lack of superstar RB's like LaDanian Tomlinson win the SB in the past decade or so.

As much as I want Barkley, give me Bradley Chubb/Minkah and get a stud RB like Ronald Jones in the 2nd round.

This and all of this. 

I'll tell you something else. I don't usually like offensive workout warriors. What if I told you the best NFL WR ran a 4.56 40 at the combine? He's not a big WR, so he doesn't use size to dominate. No, he's one of the fastest players in the league, and not someone you see caught from behind often. He torches defenses and can be virtually unstoppable. His name is Antonio Brown. That's right, I believe he ran a 4.56 40. That's not SLOW by any means, but it's not exactly the speed you think of with that guy, is it? 

Saquon Barkley is probably going to be a terrific talent, but I see him more of a Christian McCaffery type player than a bell cow type like Fournette. That's just me. Yes I know his size and his power, but he doesn't seem to run with that particular style. Let me be clear:  I still LIKE Barkley, but I can't draft him #1. Now, if by some freaking miracle he's available at 4, then I wouldn't complain about drafting him. Would I rather have Fitzpatrick? Absolutely. We had a miserable defense last year, and I don't like the idea of going offense-offense with our first 2 picks that are EXTREMELY high. Gimme the best secondary talent, and call it a day please. Actually, don't call it a day. Trade back into the first round and grab your favorite running back so we have the optional 5th year on his contract. 

7 hours ago, SD_Tom said:

Chris Simms likes Jackson as his #1 qb.  And thinks barkley is amazing.  Both superb athletes.  Jackson can be a superstar in the right system.  He's going to crush the 40 at his pro day. 

I want you to think about Super Bowl winning QBs throughout history.

How many of them were superb, insane athletes? 

And how many were able to play from the pocket, make reads, read defenses, and get the ball to the open man in the construct of the play?

40 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

How many of them were superb, insane athletes? .......THE INJURED ONES?

And how many were able to play from the pocket, make reads, read defenses, and get the ball to the open man in the construct of the play?

I always think about my favorites like Joe Montana many didn't think much of him going to ND and plenty of teams passed on him repeatedly in the NFL draft.

Even Bernie Kosar although a big guy ran like a d*mn wounded giraffe but was a great thinking Quarterback and accurate passer.

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

Why do so many Browns fans talk about Super bowls when we can't get out of the AFCN cellar? Let wins some games and change the image of this franchise. We need offensive playmakers and quit trying to fit in with what everyone else is doing. 

Imagine this

Qb- L. Jackson

Rb- S. Barkley D. Johnson

Wr- J. Gordon J. Landry(via trade) A. Miller(rd3)

Te- D. Njoku S. Devalve

If our coaches can't get to the playoffs with those offensive weapons they're in the wrong business

13 hours ago, Louisville Slugger said:

1. Lack of experience in a pro style offense. The majority of his carries came from the shotgun. 

He's a running back, don't over think it.

As for your other points, didn't see the "dead legs", balance doesn't seem like a real issue.

Bouncing outside ... he'll learn, they all do.

Zombo

11 hours ago, PoeticG said:

Don't be ridiculous. His low ypc average compared to many others proves he gets taken down a lot on first hit. He will be hit far more in the NFL than college before he has a chance to go the distance. Pass on this guy and his hype. Highlights are pure BS. Time you learned that. Show all the lowlights if you want to see the real truth.

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

That's an accurate description of Josh Rosen.  And yes,  I agree. 

Archived