THE BROWNS BOARD

Let use our heads not our emotions.

Babernakle

Fact of the matter is the browns need a qb barkley will do nothing to improve the team.  weather or not they get mccarron they still need to take darnold number 1.  He’s the best Rosen injury prone Allen inaccurate mayfield small and his ceiling is Jeff Garcia at best.  2 you take Fitzpatrick one of the best safetys to come out in many years and is very versital play all positions in the backfield excellent run stopper.  3 you take Orlando brown or mike mcglichey to take Thomas’s spot and 4 at Jones II or Chubb or a wr.  I would still like to see them bring Pryor back as well 

10 minutes ago, Babernakle said:

Fact of the matter is the browns need a qb barkley will do nothing to improve the team.  weather or not they get mccarron they still need to take darnold number 1.  He’s the best Rosen injury prone Allen inaccurate mayfield small and his ceiling is Jeff Garcia at best.  2 you take Fitzpatrick one of the best safetys to come out in many years and is very versital play all positions in the backfield excellent run stopper.  3 you take Orlando brown or mike mcglichey to take Thomas’s spot and 4 at Jones II or Chubb or a wr.  I would still like to see them bring Pryor back as well 

You lost me at Orlando Brown. A guy that slow has never (at least since they've been timing 40s at the combine) had a career in the NFL. He only beat 49 year old Rich Eisen (running in a suit) by a tenth of a second. :)

12 hours ago, Babernakle said:

I like where your head's at in terms of the positions to draft at 1 and 4, but doesn't Darnold terrify you?  If a guy leads the entire country in fumbles (which he did), how can he go #1?  When you add in the 17 interceptions and a genuine lack of QB experience (remember, he was a linebacker in high school until his senior year I believe), I simply don't see how you can take him #1.  Why does Darnold get a pass on the fumbles and INT's?  His sloppy mechanics?  His propensity to throw into triple coverage?  I just don't understand why so many analysts and fans are writing these concerns off like they don't exist.  

If not for the shoulder surgery and recent concussion concerns, I’d have Josh Rosen as my #1 pick.  But when you’re the Browns, you can’t afford to take someone with these issues because you can almost see the next injury coming…especially concussions.  How many of our QB’s experienced concussions in the past few years?  Look how it affected Kessler…he was never the same after his last one.  No, we can’t take Rosen, no matter how well he can throw the pill.  We need the guy who throws with accuracy, doesn’t turn it over, who is loved by his teammates, and possesses the competitive fire needed to win at the most difficult situation imaginable.  We need….Baker Mayfield.

Take him #1, take Fitzpatrick #4, and wait until the 20’s come around and then trade back into the first round to take your favorite RB.  The first round picks receive the optional 5th year on their contract, and almost NO RB’s ever get signed to a second contract on the team that drafted them, so 5 years for a potentially solid RB at a very low price seems awesome to me. 

1 hour ago, jiggins7919 said:

I like where your head's at in terms of the positions to draft at 1 and 4, but doesn't Darnold terrify you?  If a guy leads the entire country in fumbles (which he did), how can he go #1?  When you add in the 17 interceptions and a genuine lack of QB experience (remember, he was a linebacker in high school until his senior year I believe), I simply don't see how you can take him #1.  Why does Darnold get a pass on the fumbles and INT's?  His sloppy mechanics?  His propensity to throw into triple coverage?  I just don't understand why so many analysts and fans are writing these concerns off like they don't exist.  

If not for the shoulder surgery and recent concussion concerns, I’d have Josh Rosen as my #1 pick.  But when you’re the Browns, you can’t afford to take someone with these issues because you can almost see the next injury coming…especially concussions.  How many of our QB’s experienced concussions in the past few years?  Look how it affected Kessler…he was never the same after his last one.  No, we can’t take Rosen, no matter how well he can throw the pill.  We need the guy who throws with accuracy, doesn’t turn it over, who is loved by his teammates, and possesses the competitive fire needed to win at the most difficult situation imaginable.  We need….Baker Mayfield.

Take him #1, take Fitzpatrick #4, and wait until the 20’s come around and then trade back into the first round to take your favorite RB.  The first round picks receive the optional 5th year on their contract, and almost NO RB’s ever get signed to a second contract on the team that drafted them, so 5 years for a potentially solid RB at a very low price seems awesome to me. 

Darnold started playing QB his sophomore year of high school. 

Rosen has almost as many turnovers as darnold, his team just recovered more of his 8 fumbles. 

People like Darnold because while he’s raw at the position, he displays the mental aspect that’s needed to play Qb. He feels pressure well, can diagnose where the ball needs to go and has good accuracy and ball placement despite questionable mechanics.  While he does have a long throwing motion, he can still get the ball out quickly when he needs to.  According to interviews he has been working on his footwork and keeping both hands on the ball until he throws it.  Private workouts will be a big part of the process for all QBs involved.  

15 hours ago, Babernakle said:

You just had them taking 3 players in the first round.   

11 hours ago, darren15 said:

Orlando Brown is still running the 40

I wonder what his time is in the 20? :lol:

And I love how the QB Camps here chop down the other QBs.......and some for good reasons.

19 hours ago, RoyceRolls said:

Darnold started playing QB his sophomore year of high school. 

Rosen has almost as many turnovers as darnold, his team just recovered more of his 8 fumbles. 

People like Darnold because while he’s raw at the position, he displays the mental aspect that’s needed to play Qb. He feels pressure well, can diagnose where the ball needs to go and has good accuracy and ball placement despite questionable mechanics.  While he does have a long throwing motion, he can still get the ball out quickly when he needs to.  According to interviews he has been working on his footwork and keeping both hands on the ball until he throws it.  Private workouts will be a big part of the process for all QBs involved.  

I think what concerns me is Darnold's propensity to throw stupid passes. Double coverage, triple coverage, whatever. And it wasn't just an occasional issue....it was prevalent. I also admit to judging Darnold rather harshly because of his last game against Ohio State, and that might not be fair, but he did have a real stinker. Darnold can learn to work on footwork and holding the ball, but I gotta tell ya, many of his fumbles came from him not feeling pressure. 

Obviously much of what you said is true, or else these analysts wouldn't have Darnold listed as such a high prospect. And I've got nothing against the kid, but to me, if he is going to be good, it's not going to be a quick process. We suffered through an entire year of bad decision making by our QB. Darnold made many of the same mistakes Kizer did in college, so I'm just not sure why it would be different in the pros. 

I'm definitely not blind to Darnold's gifts. He's got moxie, grit, playmaking potential, a solid arm, good size, supposedly a terrific personality and character. I love his mobility and his ability to make plays outside the pocket. For me, I'm just very hung up on Baker Mayfield. Do you guys remember the two biggest knocks on Drew Brees coming out of college? I remember people kept saying he was too small and he didn't have the arm to throw past 15 yards. He was basically deadly on the short stuff, and people questioned if he could accurately push the ball down the field. I think those questions have now been answered. I see a lot of Brees in Baker Mayfield, and Baker's fire and determination make him the kind of guy I want in Cleveland. 

On 3/7/2018 at 7:25 PM, Babernakle said:

When I read "Barkley would do nothing to improve this team" the rest takes a credibility hit. 

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Its a concern, no doubt.   We already have one of those.

I'm leaning more along the lines of drafting Mayfield (1st choice) or Rosen (2nd choice).

However, I have my concerns with those two guys as well.

17 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Since when did the Browns put you in charge of the draft?

just draft talk while we wait for football season to start.  It's always fun to speculate and try to predict what those zany Browns will do next. 

Anyway, my heart says Mayfield at 1 and Fitzpatrick at 4, but my head (knowing the Browns) thinks they will go Darnold/Rosen at 1 and who knows what at 4.  I doubt Barkley would be available, I think the Giants will nab him and then use a 2nd rounder on Mason Rudolph (or whichever QB is left) to sit and develop behind Eli.  Both Darnold (inconsistency, fumbling, slow throwing motion) and Rosen (i think he's the better QB, but the injury history is concerning + not sure if he can handle Cleveland) have high bust potential.  Mayfield has his flaws, but I think he's the guy that can drag the Browns to victory if he had to.  Ideally, Mayfield would sit behind Kizer for a season but we all know that at the first interception the pressure to start the shiny new rookie would be overwhelming.

4 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Since when did the Browns put you in charge of the draft?

They didn’t...but I could’ve done a better job of drafting than the last couple of guys.

I think it's going to be Allen or Darnold and the browns are leaning Allen. The Tyrod Taylor allows them to sit him for at least a year and he has the biggest upside of the draft. I'm not one way or the other but this is just my feeling. OR they are going to take Mayfield at #4. Him and TT are very similar players in size and ability. 

On 3/9/2018 at 6:17 AM, jiggins7919 said:

I think what concerns me is Darnold's propensity to throw stupid passes. Double coverage, triple coverage, whatever. And it wasn't just an occasional issue....it was prevalent. I also admit to judging Darnold rather harshly because of his last game against Ohio State, and that might not be fair, but he did have a real stinker. Darnold can learn to work on footwork and holding the ball, but I gotta tell ya, many of his fumbles came from him not feeling pressure. 

Obviously much of what you said is true, or else these analysts wouldn't have Darnold listed as such a high prospect. And I've got nothing against the kid, but to me, if he is going to be good, it's not going to be a quick process. We suffered through an entire year of bad decision making by our QB. Darnold made many of the same mistakes Kizer did in college, so I'm just not sure why it would be different in the pros. 

I'm definitely not blind to Darnold's gifts. He's got moxie, grit, playmaking potential, a solid arm, good size, supposedly a terrific personality and character. I love his mobility and his ability to make plays outside the pocket. For me, I'm just very hung up on Baker Mayfield. Do you guys remember the two biggest knocks on Drew Brees coming out of college? I remember people kept saying he was too small and he didn't have the arm to throw past 15 yards. He was basically deadly on the short stuff, and people questioned if he could accurately push the ball down the field. I think those questions have now been answered. I see a lot of Brees in Baker Mayfield, and Baker's fire and determination make him the kind of guy I want in Cleveland. 

I think that the Ohio State game was a positive for Darnold in some respects.  The Ohio State defense made USC look like a high school team.  That d line was eating their lunch all day and winning the line of scrimmage consistently.  Darnold still managed to make some serious NFL level plays even while being under constant pressure. I also feel like he does feel pressure well in the pocket and his ability to extend the play and make quick decisions when the pocket is collapsing is one of his strongest traits. 

I'll go no further than the thread title...

Which made me laugh my butt off...

I love y'all, but there's 3 posters here that have rational football analysis. Rest of you are either to stupid or too emotional to even read.

18 hours ago, choco said:

I'll go no further than the thread title...

Which made me laugh my butt off...

I love y'all, but there's 3 posters here that have rational football analysis. Rest of you are either to stupid or too emotional to even read.

Its not the emeat its the emotion.......that makes your baby want to rock.

Archived