THE BROWNS BOARD

A more positive take on Landry.....

Tacosman

After watching some more highlights of him and reading more, it's possible that his stats have been so poor relative to other high volume slot recievers because of how the dolphins use him.  

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/index.php?q=stat-analysis/2017/jarvis-landrys-value-part-ii

granted this article leaves off Landry's 2017 season, but that really doesnt matter because his 2017 season was just his 2014-16 season on steroids.  If anything the points in the article are even more true now.

I do know that if we use him like the dolphins do and through him a ton of 5 yard curls and bubble screens, thats going to be a recipe for the same type of failure he had in miami where he was struggling to hit 6 yards per target.  

But when I watch the highlights, he can run other routes with some success.  Slants in particular and dig routes.  

So if the browns and hue are smart enough to use him in a prime victor cruz slot sort of way, this could work.  But if we get what he did in miami last year, thats going to be a crap offense.  

1 hour ago, Tacosman said:

After watching some more highlights of him and reading more, it's possible that his stats have been so poor relative to other high volume slot recievers because of how the dolphins use him.  

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/index.php?q=stat-analysis/2017/jarvis-landrys-value-part-ii

granted this article leaves off Landry's 2017 season, but that really doesnt matter because his 2017 season was just his 2014-16 season on steroids.  If anything the points in the article are even more true now.

I do know that if we use him like the dolphins do and through him a ton of 5 yard curls and bubble screens, thats going to be a recipe for the same type of failure he had in miami where he was struggling to hit 6 yards per target.  

But when I watch the highlights, he can run other routes with some success.  Slants in particular and dig routes.  

So if the browns and hue are smart enough to use him in a prime victor cruz slot sort of way, this could work.  But if we get what he did in miami last year, thats going to be a crap offense.  

I'll look at those metrics in a little more detail later Taco. I understand where you're coming from now. One thing I immediately got out of those lists is it's plain as mud why our departed Sashi "Metrics" Brown loved him some Kenny Britt. There's a sea change in the front office. Dorsey is looking for "football players" like Landry- instead of pouring through a pile of analytics to see who he should draft\acquire.  

28 minutes ago, hoorta said:

I'll look at those metrics in a little more detail later Taco. I understand where you're coming from now. One thing I immediately got out of those lists is it's plain as mud why our departed Sashi "Metrics" Brown loved him some Kenny Britt. There's a sea change in the front office. Dorsey is looking for "football players" like Landry- instead of pouring through a pile of analytics to see who he should draft\acquire.  

the problem with Britt/sashi is that the 'analytics' were Britt were terrible.  His 2016 season was an anomoly on a bad team, and a deeper look into his numbers before that showed a marginal/mediocre reciever.  

Sashi sometimes gets far too much credit for 'analytics'....some of his moves didnt support that at all.  

britt was just a bad move.  It was an anti-analytics move.  

Ill also add that the consensus around the league, especially amongst players, seems to be that landry is much better than his numbers.  

Im hoping that most of landrys numbers were due to the dolphins misuing him.  I guess it's not his fault they throw him so many bubble screens.

But I sure as hell dont want landry to have less than 1000 yards on 160+ targets next year.  12-1300 yards on 135 targets would be a lot better.

14 hours ago, Tacosman said:

Ill also add that the consensus around the league, especially amongst players, seems to be that landry is much better than his numbers.  

Im hoping that most of landrys numbers were due to the dolphins misuing him.  I guess it's not his fault they throw him so many bubble screens.

But I sure as hell dont want landry to have less than 1000 yards on 160+ targets next year.  12-1300 yards on 135 targets would be a lot better.

Glad to see you coming around on this Taco!  FWIW, Miami has had bad luck with keeping their QB healthy.  For example, when they made the playoffs in 2016 - they had to start backup QB Matt Moore against the Pittsburgh team they beat in the regular season.  They also had to all up an unemployed/retired Jay Cutler off the couch in 2017. 

Aside from that, they've had injuries to their WR Corps like Parker and others in recent years where their coaches have moved him around.  I read he he played in the slot 72% of the time in 2016.  A lot of people see his height and stereotype him BUT he weighs in at a compact 208 lbs where press coverage doesn't bother him the way it would render a guy like Dennis Northcutt useless on the line of scrimmage (meaning slot only 24/7).  What I'm getting at here is this is a guy that doesn't need to be limited like Northcutt needed to be.  We can move him around if we choose.

The 1 thing I will say is he's not a top end speed guy where we want to use him over the top. He's more of a short route precision guy that can get open quickly enough to help our passers get the ball out of their hands quicker.  The difference between him and Corey Coleman is 1 guy catches with his hands and the other can't very consistently.  When guys catch with their hands - QBs will still throw to them even when they're pretty well covered (ie: Cris Carter).  They're also going to fare better in traffic.

Jarvis Landry wouldn't be here for the salary we're committing to him if he wasn't reliable and still at an ideal age.  It's really refreshing to say that after guys like Dwayne Bowe and Kenny Brat.

What we commit to Landry $-wise, Flugs is TBD. Is he worth top five WR money? Doubtful... hard to see any full-time slot WR worth that kind of money, but the price tag has been set now so I do not expect much of a break in negotiating any long-term deal.

Easy to see us letting him play on the tag... Easy to see him betting on himself and doing the same.

Still I like the trade. It's still the only way to attract legitimate, vet talent to CLE.

On 3/10/2018 at 3:17 PM, hoorta said:

lol... as if Dorsey is not using analytics.

On 3/10/2018 at 3:47 PM, Tacosman said:

Sashi sometimes gets far too much credit for 'analytics'....some of his moves didnt support that at all. 

Thank God you and h are around to set the record straight... /s

Good but rambling read on Landry from a fan. 

I also thought this Mayock quote was interesting from prior to when he was drafted "

PICK ANALYSIS:

"When you put the tape on to watch Odell Beckham play, you can't tell which one is Beckham. I like the opportunity he's going to get in Miami." -- Mike Mayock

Archived