THE BROWNS BOARD

EJ Gaines signing for the Browns

darren15

3 hours ago, Nero said:

I'm with you. This unit doesn't make me excited to watch it next play season. It was awful last year, so almost any change could have made it better. 

But there have been so many moves that now I'm wondering if we'll aim for secondary in 1st or 2nd round. The more I think of it, the more I'm convinced we'll go QB-Chubb and then RB with #33 (or earlier). 

Good discussion guys!

Here's another way to look at it.   Antonio Brown is the best WR in the NFL.  If we fail to prepare for that barometer - we should prepare to fail.

One of the biggest things SF did back in the day to help jumper cable/perpetuate their dynasty was draft 3 starters in their secondary in 81 when they drafted Ronnie Lott rd 1, Eric Wright rd 2, and Carlton Williamson rd 3.

A lot of times the pass rush gets credit for the success at the back end; but there's been teams where better coverage at the back end has created more sacks.  I wouldn't mind getting us to somewhere in between.

17 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Huge? Here's their production over the past two seasons...

McC: 28 games; 3 INT; 26 Passes Defended; 2 Forced Fumbles; 113 tackles; 19 assists

EJG: 22 games; 1 INT; 16 Passes Defended; 4 Forced Fumbles; 95 tackles; 20 assists

I get younger option, but what am I missing?

FWIW, before McC hurt his ankle - PFF had him ranked #1 for a while.  That said, when you're 31 or 32 how well do you bounce back from injury.  Now factor in - that was an ankle injury that impacts stop and go as well as change of direction.  Anyone remember our CB Leigh Bodden (out of Duquesne) who played well enough for a contract extension here only to have an ankle injury he could never shake immediately after the extension?  Even BB in NE couldn't cpr the magic back into him. 

Archived