THE BROWNS BOARD

What is the future of football?

Orion

3 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

It is not a physical/contact/collision sport....but I don't know about pussified.   It takes tremendous skill.

Pool is fun, so is the World Poker Tour. :lol:

Golf was fun during the Arnie, Jack, Chi-chi era for me.

Actually some games are just more fun to do than watch......like sock-her. "Professional flopping". 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Orion said:

Lawn Jarts.  Did anybody EVER think that was a good idea?  Even as a little kid I thought there was something wrong with that game.

It was an OK idea.  We had them.  You just had to be smart enough to stay out of the way.  Some  Kids were too stupid to do so. 

15 hours ago, Orion said:

Lawn Jarts.  Did anybody EVER think that was a good idea?  Even as a little kid I thought there was something wrong with that game.

The trick was to keep them really sharp so they stick real good!  :):(

12 hours ago, The Gipper said:

It was an OK idea.  We had them.  You just had to be smart enough to stay out of the way.  Some  Kids were too stupid to do so. 

...and some kids threw them really lousily.  My neighbor had them.  We played them as kids...and even as a kid the back of my mind knew that that game wasn't really a good idea.

But we digress.  

I think today the NFL installed a targeting rule such that a player can be tossed from the game for targeting with his helmet.

3 hours ago, Orion said:

...and some kids threw them really lousily. 

Was always fun to see how far you could bury the nose of a Jart* in the lawn... either by throwing it up or down..

______________________________________________________________________________________________

* Why "Jart"? They were lawn darts so why not "Lart"? Did J stand for jugular?

On 3/26/2018 at 1:27 PM, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Remember Jarts?

Image result for jarts pictures

If ya ever spear that loop in half with a Jart? Don't let your sister beat ya with it like a belt for ruining the game...MoM, I didn't do it on purpose!!(really?,double your pleasure, double your fun:ph34r:)

Just my .02 cents given I'm a "younger" man on the board.

While football is on the decline, any talk of it being out on the outs in highly exaggerated. It's still by wide margin the preferred sport of my generation (who will soon have the buying power) and still the favorite of the generation after me. Sure, it may not be the absolute dominant sport it used to be, but I don't think we're even 20 years away from seeing any seismic shift in preferences. One thing that's really important to note is that many folks in my generation aren't watching on traditional TV either. This does a good job discussing that: http://deadline.com/2018/02/super-bowl-ratings-eagles-patriots-this-is-us-nbc-1202278181/. So when it's stated that viewership went down, they are talking in terms of traditional TV's. That's a really flawed metric to use.

To the point of safety, I think you gotta realize by in large fans don't care. I can't put my finger on a study I read recently but it was something like 80+% of people noted that the new data on CTE, injuries etc had NO impact on them watching football. Hell, if I'm being really honest I can't say it does for me. I'm definitely down to support safety measures, but it's not as though I feel "bad" for the guys either. I certainly don't wish evil on people but you gotta know bad things are gonna happen to your head mashing it against people for 20+ years. 

Point is, I think we're decades (at minimum) before we see anything else than football dominating the landscape of american sports. It's gotta be realized that my generation (and beyond) are cutting the cord but still want football, which means not having stupid directv dominant the online sphere. 

8 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Was always fun to see how far you could bury the nose of a Jart* in the lawn... either by throwing it up or down..

______________________________________________________________________________________________

* Why "Jart"? They were lawn darts so why not "Lart"? Did J stand for jugular?

Hey we boomer kids were tough.....not like these weenie Millenials and their video games. :lol:

Besides I kind of liked Lawn Darts, sounds less lethal than let's say  Lethal Weapon 4. 

20 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Hey we boomer kids were tough.....not like these weenie Millenials and their video games. :lol:

Besides I kind of liked Lawn Darts, sounds less lethal than let's say  Lethal Weapon 4. 

This was our only game, usually played in the lobby of a Spartans, Uncle Bills or other department store.  

Image result for late 1960's pinball machine pic

30 minutes ago, domcucch1994 said:

Two hand touch is the future of football bitche$!!

What and only the women will play tackle football? 

lfl.jpg

9 minutes ago, domcucch1994 said:

I can get behind this..

Behind this? Yeah it is a little different than the men's game but hey its football. 

090509+lingerie+football+treated.jpg

On 25/03/2018 at 12:38 AM, Orion said:

I'm pretty sure that whacking a fast moving soccer ball with your head is NOT gonna be good for your brain.  The elimination of the header is in soccer's future.

Just read an article on this and it’s by a coach in USA

https://thesetpieces.com/features/should-heading-the-ball-be-banned-until-the-professional-level/

35 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

I've done some reading up on the concussion and CTE story along with some TV shows on PBS on the subject and it appears that it is a subject that needs to be addressed even in soccer. Stats I've seen in competition or practice in soccer can have serious consequences. 

........ As the world continues to learn more about the serious consequences of brain damage, further regulation of heading is a change which seems more inevitable than idealistic. Once we get past the initial shock, the benefits of player development and player safety go hand in hand.

The dangers of concussion are no longer a secret. Coupled with the advantageous aspects of effectively enforcing the ball to return to the ground as soon as possible, it’s clear that the banning of non-penalty box heading until the professional level is, if you’ll excuse the pun, a no-brainer......

ODDS TO WIN THE 2018 FIFA WORLD CUP (7/15/18) - the future of futbol? 3-30-2018 vegasinsider.com 
Team Odds
Brazil 15/4
Germany 9/2
France 5/1
Spain 7/1
Argentina 8/1
Belgium 11/1
England 16/1
Portugal 25/1
Uruguay... Uruguay but no USA, really? What's happening with this upswing in interest in soccer? ;) 28/1
Colombia 30/1
Croatia 33/1
Russia 33/1
Poland 40/1
Mexico 66/1
Switzerland 70/1
Denmark 80/1
Sweden 80/1
Egypt 150/1
Nigeria 150/1
Peru 150/1
Senegal 150/1
Serbia 150/1
Iceland... what little Iceland but no USA, USA, USA? 200/1
Australia 250/1
Costa Rica 250/1
Japan 250/1
Iran 300/1
Morocco 300/1
South Korea 300/1
Tunisia 500/1
Panama 1000/1

5 hours ago, mjp28 said:
ODDS TO WIN THE 2018 FIFA WORLD CUP (7/15/18) - the future of futbol? 3-30-2018 vegasinsider.com 
Team Odds
Brazil 15/4
Germany 9/2
France 5/1
Spain 7/1
Argentina 8/1
Belgium 11/1
England 16/1
Portugal 25/1
Uruguay... Uruguay but no USA, really? What's happening with this upswing in interest in soccer? ;) 28/1
Colombia 30/1
Croatia 33/1
Russia 33/1
Poland 40/1
Mexico 66/1
Switzerland 70/1
Denmark 80/1
Sweden 80/1
Egypt 150/1
Nigeria 150/1
Peru 150/1
Senegal 150/1
Serbia 150/1
Iceland... what little Iceland but no USA, USA, USA? 200/1
Australia 250/1
Costa Rica 250/1
Japan 250/1
Iran 300/1
Morocco 300/1
South Korea 300/1
Tunisia 500/1
Panama 1000/1

Move this to the soccer board oh wait we don't have a soccer board well then just move itMove this to the soccer board oh wait we don't have a soccer board well then just move it

8 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Move this to the soccer board oh wait we don't have a soccer board well then just move itMove this to the soccer board oh wait we don't have a soccer board well then just move it

We're discussing the future of football or is it futbol?

One thing for sure there is some uncertainty in the air......well about AMERICAN football, I guess we have to wait that plays out.

And everyone flocking to futbol, hmmmmm. I don't really hear that much public outcry about it, the World Cup, generally any country with a bunch of guys with short pants gets in.

So what happened?    Who did they lose to? Well.....

http://www.businessinsider.com/united-states-misses-world-cup-2017-10

......... (briefly)  After qualifying for seven straight World Cup tournaments, the Americans will now have to wait until at least 2022 before they can play on the biggest stage in soccer. Once the game went final and the reality of the situation began to dawn on the players, they were quick to share their disappointment in their play.

"If you don't look at yourself after this individually, then you're f----- up in the head," Altidore said.

"I just want to say sorry to the fans, all the U.S. fans that were pulling for us, that wanted to go to Russia, that believed in us," Gonzalez said. "We let down an entire nation today."

It's likely that we've seen the end of many stalwarts of American men's soccer, including Clint Dempsey, Michael Bradley, and Tim Howard, and that as a result of this subpar stretch of performances, talk of "big changes" to U.S. soccer once again come to the forefront.

What those changes may be remains unclear, but the United States will have four years away from the most important international competition in the world to make and implement them.

6 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Altidore said.

Gonzalez 

Clint Dempsey, Michael Bradley, and Tim Howard,

There's the problem mjp. 5 world class players. Not enough YET. Interest has nothing to do with it- elite talent sure does. 

6 hours ago, hoorta said:

There's the problem mjp. 5 world class players. Not enough YET. Interest has nothing to do with it- elite talent sure does. 

The problem is that World Cup always increases the american viewers' attention toward soccer, so it is a step back for those who are keen on watching it grow in the US.

Archived