THE BROWNS BOARD

Kvoethe

23 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Hue has already had his two shots in Kessler and RG III. Keep him far away from this decision.

From a comment on Cleveland.com- actually three Ag, one aborted by Sashi... 

"Hue said "the earth moved under his feet" while watching RG3 workout. He also said to "trust him" on Cody Kessler. Mortgaged the Raiders future for Carson Palmer who had not played all yr. Wanted to give a 2nd and 3rd for AJ McCarron with a couple games left in a lost season. He is a reckless decision maker and can't evaluate talent."

And now the "Quarterback Whisperer" is say Allen is showing improved touch and accuracy? Be afraid, very afraid if Hue is whispering to Dorsey- "I can fix him". Riiiiigggghhhhttt, just like RG III

19 hours ago, PoeticG said:

Saq and Bake, bank it. 

Bake? Please stick your head in an oven for an hour or so...  :lol: Too much Saquon has warped your mind. Not that I have any problems with Mayfield, It's one of your better choices.  Sack? Yes, that's what's happening when we draft Chubb....  

1 minute ago, hoorta said:

From a comment on Cleveland.com- actually three Ag, one aborted by Sashi... 

"Hue said "the earth moved under his feet" while watching RG3 workout. He also said to "trust him" on Cody Kessler. Mortgaged the Raiders future for Carson Palmer who had not played all yr. Wanted to give a 2nd and 3rd for AJ McCarron with a couple games left in a lost season. He is a reckless decision maker and can't evaluate talent."

And now the "Quarterback Whisperer" is say Allen is showing improved touch and accuracy? Be afraid, very afraid if Hue is whispering to Dorsey- "I can fix him". Riiiiigggghhhhttt, just like RG III

Hue has not impressed me (positively) as either a talent evaluator or as a game day coach. I do think he is a good motivator. But I'm also glad he now has a game day OC. We have a better chance at not taking TO's near the first play of the game that way.:P

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Hue has not impressed me (positively) as either a talent evaluator or as a game day coach. I do think he is a good motivator. But I'm also glad he now has a game day OC. We have a better chance at not taking TO's near the first play of the game that way.:P

Uncle Fester should no longer be the coach of this team.....I am pretty confident that 99% of all people here....and all Browns fans, feel that way.

14 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Uncle Fester should no longer be the coach of this team.....I am pretty confident that 99% of all people here....and all Browns fans, feel that way.

We all know he was not canned because it put Jimmy in a bad position in terms of hiring yet one more new HC. Bad season in 2018 that Hue somehow gets into the mix to lose games in and he's toast.

15 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

We all know he was not canned because it put Jimmy in a bad position in terms of hiring yet one more new HC. Bad season in 2018 that Hue somehow gets into the mix to lose games in and he's toast.

With Dorsey already in Jimmah's pocket, I doubt finding a new Coach was an issue.

Bottom line: Hue got in Jimmah's ear and politicked the Sheet outta him to save his own butt.

Bill Livingston rips Hue a new one...

==========================================================================================================================================

Will Cleveland Browns' Hue Jackson be a coach in name only? Bill Livingston (photos)

Updated 10:01 AM; Posted 10:01 AM By Bill Livingston

CLEVELAND, Ohio - I have seen the light.

I have grasped the wily machinations behind an otherwise unbelievable decision.

I understand at last why Hue Jackson -- of the "One will do," "Not a clue," "Should be through" Hues, with the pathetic, pitiful, and plainly putrid 1-31 record -- is still the Cleveland Browns' coach.

Doing no harm

The Browns' front office has simply taken a football version of a doctor's Hippocratic Oath, in which the most important rule is: First do no harm.

The way to keep the franchise out of harm's way is to keep Jackson from really coaching while owner Hotspur Haslam, obviously trying to refute his well-deserved reputation for being quick on the trigger, waits until, oh, Thanksgiving or so before making Hue really most sincerely through.

Remember Hue's big day?

Jackson is set up as a bigger figurehead than some of the coaches and general managers of the Cleveland Cavaliers in the years when LeBron James is on the roster.

Haslam, of course, never should have guaranteed Jackson's job, although it did lead to some of that trademark Browns' fans sarcasm with half-hearted celebrations on Facebook and Twitter of "Hue Jackson Day" on Jan. 31 (1-31, get it?).

What Hue won't do

As long-time friend and retired Toledo Blade sports columnist John Gugger asked in an email, how many coaching tasks are going to be missing from the Jackson portfolio this fall?

He won't be calling the plays anymore. Todd Haley will.

He wanted to trade for A.J. McCarron at quarterback. No go, in what many feel was one of the best deals the Browns didn't make.

He wants input on the draft.

No go. After the Browns drafted Cody Kessler at quarterback in the third round, Hue said, "Trust me on this one."

Why? 

The Browns traded Kessler to Jacksonville this week after he showed little but a weak arm.

General manager John Dorsey will do the heavy lifting on the draft.

Quarterback whisperer?

Jackson was supposed to develop quarterbacks.

But the purported "quarterback whisperer" contracted a bad case of play-calling inanity in a bombs-away offense that magnified rookie DeShone Kizer's inaccuracy.

Down and distance prudence went out the window

The whisperer made his quarterback a tackling dummy/interception machine (choose one or both) because the protection had to be maintained for so long.

Also because Kizer had the pocket presence of change falling out of a hole in an inattentive man's pants.

Tom Brady was a sensational find in the sixth round of the draft. Kizer was a pick based on youth and potential in the second round.

Brady spent a year on the bench, learning.

Kizer was thrown to the wolves. Then benched. Then re-thrown to the wolves.

Hue had a "strong" arm, though

Jackson unlimbered the old soup bone long enough to throw Isaiah Crowell under the bus after the running back's best play of the season. It was a stupid thing to do.

So let's review:

Couldn't judge talent. Couldn't develop it. Couldn't call a decent game.

Could, however, spin the hell out of some media members and the owner. That's enough for Haslam, which says a lot.

The bottom line is the bottom-est ever 

Bill Parcells said, famously, 'You are what your record says you are."

Jackson's record here is the worst for two years in NFL history.

He is still the coach, though.

Wink. Nudge

I have not been a fan of Hue and Browns QBs, but...

I fully believe the Hue's now infamous "trust me on Kessler" was more of him being a good soldier as a new Browns employee, than him wanting Kessler.

Kessler struck me as a purely analytics pick. Accurate college QB with a lot of starts. Nothing about Kessler struck me as a Hue guy. 

On 3/27/2018 at 7:49 PM, Dutch Oven said:

Care to bet on it?

Hue is calling the shots. We wil go Black Tarkenton. Lamar is a Lock.

On 3/28/2018 at 12:46 PM, VikingDawg said:

There's no way Allen goes #1.... Dorsey cannot be that stupid. 

Dorsey is not making the call. Hue is. They will trade the #4 down and take Lamar Jackoff.

59 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'll bet you $1000 that the Browns do not draft Lamar Jackson. 

Good bet!

And what's with this obsession with HOF player Fran Tarkenton? 

........ In his 18 NFL seasons, Tarkenton completed 3,686 of 6,467 passes for 47,003 yards and 342 touchdowns, with 266 interceptions, all of which were NFL records at the time of his retirement. Tarkenton's 47,003 career passing yards rank him 8th all time, while his 342 career passing touchdowns is 6th all time in NFL history  He also is 6th on the all-time list of wins by a starting quarterback with 124 regular season victories. He also used his impressive scrambling ability to rack up 3,674 rushing yards and 32 touchdowns on 675 carries. During his career, Tarkenton ran for a touchdown in 15 different seasons, an NFL record among quarterbacks. He ranks fifth in career rushing yards among quarterbacks, behind Randall Cunningham, Steve Young, Michael Vick and Cam Newton. He is also one of two NFL quarterbacks ever to rush for at least 300 yards in seven different seasons; the other is Tobin Rote. When he retired, Tarkenton held NFL career records in pass attempts, completions, yardage, and touchdowns; rushing yards by a quarterback; and wins by a starting quarterback...... .

Hmmmmm. And his last season was 40 years ago? Makes no sense whatsoever, oh well. :lol:

On 3/28/2018 at 1:55 PM, TexasAg1969 said:

:lol: Good points Aggies. 

Here's my Dollar Store take. He was hired 2 years ago to be a Head Coach; and all we got was a lousy Offensive Coordinator.  This will be the 1st year he is the Head Coach.  If he has the right Coordinators, I see no reason he can't be a much better Head Coach than he was as an OC here. He spent so much time trying to square peg round holes at QB - that he saw the rest of the team with the vision of an ostrich with his head in the sand.  This at least takes the head out of the sand.

That plus an upgrade in talent here SHOULD reduce his desperation impulses he didn't have nearly as frequently as an OC of a more talented Offense in Cincy that went 12-4 in 2015 (which dropped to 6-9-1 immediately after he left).   We only view the guy from our situation here while many of his former players (ie; Andrew Whitworth) and colleagues had very high praise for the guy's coaching ability.  

It'll be interesting to see how he responds to the ideal opportunity this off season has blessed him with.  I'm hoping he becomes the Head Coach I thought he could be here.  If not, we have a much more experienced FO that will upgrade the coach at a place they made into a much better recruiting attraction.

On 3/28/2018 at 3:20 PM, The Gipper said:

He's being retained on the team , to service Dee's fetishes...

1 minute ago, nickers said:

He's being retained on the team , to service Dee's fetishes...

I think Dee might prefer Thing to Uncle Fester

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

:lol: Good points Aggies. 

Here's my Dollar Store take. He was hired 2 years ago to be a Head Coach; and all we got was a lousy Offensive Coordinator.  This will be the 1st year he is the Head Coach.  If he has the right Coordinators, I see no reason he can't be a much better Head Coach than he was as an OC here. He spent so much time trying to square peg round holes at QB - that he saw the rest of the team with the vision of an ostrich with his head in the sand.  This at least takes the head out of the sand.

That plus an upgrade in talent here SHOULD reduce his desperation impulses he didn't have nearly as frequently as an OC of a more talented Offense in Cincy that went 12-4 in 2015 (which dropped to 6-9-1 immediately after he left).   We only view the guy from our situation here while many of his former players (ie; Andrew Whitworth) and colleagues had very high praise for the guy's coaching ability.  

It'll be interesting to see how he responds to the ideal opportunity this off season has blessed him with.  I'm hoping he becomes the Head Coach I thought he could be here.  If not, we have a much more experienced FO that will upgrade the coach at a place they made into a much better recruiting attraction.

Translation:  Hue Needs to take on an administrator role in organizing the team. Therefore leaving the X's and O's to the coordinators and let them do they're jobs , and stay out of the way. Just stand there with your arms folded.

4 hours ago, Flugel said:

That plus an upgrade in talent here SHOULD reduce his desperation impulses he didn't have nearly as frequently as an OC of a more talented Offense in Cincy that went 12-4 in 2015 (which dropped to 6-9-1 immediately after he left).

Interesting thought to which I'd only add that now there is no one to moderate any impulses whereas in Cinci there was Marvin... who has always struck me as a pretty cool character.

Not hard for me to imagine Marvin staying in Hue's headset with, "Stay with the run, Hue, stay with the run." And more...

The real question for me is whether Hue's ego and insecurities will allow him to allow his OC's the freedom they need to help save him from himself. For evidence look no further than how he is trying to portray himself as unplugged from the draft process only due to the hectic nature of the moment.

19 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'll bet you $1000 that the Browns do not draft Lamar Jackson. 

Dang, wish I had your confidence- I only bet Ghoolie $100 in another thread. Let's see if fat mouth will ante up, my bet is he won't. .   

13 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

The real question for me is whether Hue's ego and insecurities will allow him to allow his OC's the freedom they need to help save him from himself. For evidence look no further than how he is trying to portray himself as unplugged from the draft process only due to the hectic nature of the moment.

Tour, RE: Cinci. Hue had a bunch of elite talent there on O, and a studly defense that could keep them in games if he screwed up. They came crashing back to earth when cheapo Mikey Brown let Whitworth, Zeitler, Marvin Jones, and Mohammed Sanu leave uncontested.  

It's pretty funny- despite Ghoolie's idiotic protestations to the contrary, Hue is acting & talking like he has a real say in the draft, but all the evidence since Dorsey has taken over says exactly the opposite. 

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

Dang, wish I had your confidence- I only bet Ghoolie $100 in another thread. Let's see if fat mouth will ante up, my bet is he won't. .   

Tour, RE: Cinci. Hue had a bunch of elite talent there on O, and a studly defense that could keep them in games if he screwed up. They came crashing back to earth when cheapo Mikey Brown let Whitworth, Zeitler, Marvin Jones, and Mohammed Sanu leave uncontested.  

It's pretty funny- despite Ghoolie's idiotic protestations to the contrary, Hue is acting & talking like he has a real say in the draft, but all the evidence since Dorsey has taken over says exactly the opposite. 

All depends on how much confidence Jimmy and Dorsey have in the guy. We are no strangers to NFL smoke screens and it could be that they wanted to show a united front and continuity in the coaching staff When selecting free agents and acquiring draft players.

If that's the case I'd be surprised if he has a huge amount of sway over the process. If it isn't, and they truly think he's going to turn things around this season he might. Of course if  the first scenario I would guess somebody had another coach in mind for when we go zero and six. Maybe the offense of coordinator steps up at midseason? Maybe that's in the back of somebody's mind from the beginning? Coach Haley? Coach Williams? Can't think of any other blue-chip head coach prospects sitting on the couch.

WSS

9 hours ago, hoorta said:

Dang, wish I had your confidence- I only bet Ghoolie $100 in another thread.

It's logical... we'll only carry four QBs: three on the 53 (TT, Stanton and our #1 overall rookie) and a 4th on the PS.

Jackson is neither in the running for #1 overall or stashable on the PS.

• 2 weeks later...

Just now, on the NFL Network, Hue said he enjoyed collecting marbles. Wonder if he still has 'em or has he lost his marbles?   :rolleyes:

Mike 

15 minutes ago, Canton Mike said:

Just now, on the NFL Network, Hue said he enjoyed collecting marbles. Wonder if he still has 'em or has he lost his marbles?   :rolleyes:

Mike 

must have missed it? Mine says NFL Playoffs: Upon further Review..after further review.. we missed that too?;) 

34 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

must have missed it? Mine says NFL Playoffs: Upon further Review..after further review.. we missed that too?;) 

When I saw it, the show was NFL Films Present (just before the NFL Playoffs show).

Mike

Archived