THE BROWNS BOARD

Rosen is too smart for Hue?

Orion

So I'm again thinking of Rosen's old coach saying that he's a very cerebral QB and that he asks why and that he needs to be mentally challenged.....and that Darnold is a better fit for Cleveland as he's a gritty, blue collar type QB.....and that Rosen would be a better fit for one of the NY teams.

I've heard the same, "He asks why a lot."  and that it rubs some coaches the wrong way.....from some talking heads.  I mean, is it that Hue is supposed to be a dumb $#!+.... (don't answer that)  :)

I don't know.....but I think that I might LIKE having a smart QB.  Peyton Manning was a smart QB.  Kosar was a smart QB.  Would it be a bad thing to have a smart guy as the face of your franchise?  

All along I've said that I wanted the guy with the best mechanics.  If that package also includes smarts then that's a good thing.

Rosen is, I think, the guy that we've been tied the least to.  Mostly it's been Darnold, with Allen and the little guy sprinkled in.  But Dorsey seems to be quite tight lipped about what he's going to do.  And that's probably for the best.  -  I think he could just as easily turn in a card with Rosen's name on it as any other QB.  

I'll support any QB he picks....but I'm gonna hold out hope for a Rosen, Chubb 1,2 punch.  (I think Garrett badly needs Chubb on the DL with him)

It could be a thing where Rosen IS the guy the Browns want, so that's why he's the one we've heard about the least (of the top four guys) in connection to the Browns...

Or it could be that there is nothing I've seen from John Dorsey that tells me he would like a guy like Josh Rosen. Maybe this isn't fair, but Dorsey strikes me as the type of guy who eats his steak with ketchup. :lol:

Imagine Myles Garrett & Bradley Chub together? I CAN!

Now imagine Saquon Barkley and his impact on defenses if Tyrod Taylor is handing him the ball. Dual threats keeping defenses off balance not to mention Josh Gordon, Jarvis Landry, Coleman and David Njoko. Weapons that Taylor lacked in Buffalo. 

Its not far fetched and the Browns could use Tyrod as a bridge and mentor to Lamar Jackson who may just have the highest ceiling in this QB class.

Saquon Barkley, Best player in this draft, Bradley Chub, a close 2nd & Lamar Jackson whose potential could far exceed Michael Vick/Deshaun Watson

2 hours ago, Orion said:

I'll support any QB he picks....but I'm gonna hold out hope for a Rosen, Chubb 1,2 punch.  (I think Garrett badly needs Chubb on the DL with him)

Ditto, but some QBs will make it damn hard to be hopeful.

On a bright note, I am taking a second look at Chubb and am warming to him... slowly...

27 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Ditto, but some QBs will make it damn hard to be hopeful.

On a bright note, I am taking a second look at Chubb and am warming to him... slowly...

Don't say that now.  I just started thinking of situations where we trade out of #4 and land both Ward and Hurst...

2 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Don't say that now.  I just started thinking of situations where we trade out of #4 and land both Ward and Hurst...

If it's between DE Chubb and DT Hurst PLUS CB Ward...  I'd go for the duo. Two holes fixed in first round? That's something to cheer for. But I dont know if Bills' picks could serve us for that purpose.

Is it me or either we reach a CB at #4 or we miss top CB with #33? Trading down might be the best solution to fix our secondary at a "fair" market value.

5 hours ago, Comeonman said:

100% with you. Rosen - Chubb - Super Bowl

When it comes to beer- my motto is ABM- anything but Miller. Quarterbacks? ABA anyone but Allen. (at least at #1.)   

4 hours ago, Opal312 said:

Now imagine Saquon Barkley and his impact on defenses if Tyrod Taylor is handing him the ball. Dual threats keeping defenses off balance not to mention Josh Gordon, Jarvis Landry, Coleman and David Njoko. Weapons that Taylor lacked in Buffalo. 

Its not far fetched and the Browns could use Tyrod as a bridge and mentor to Lamar Jackson who may just have the highest ceiling in this QB class.

Saquon Barkley, Best player in this draft, Bradley Chubb, a close 2nd & Lamar Jackson whose potential could far exceed Michael Vick/Deshaun Watson

If we're just drafting on potential the pick would be Josh Allen and it's not even close. Josh has Elway potential, & he's way bigger than Jackson- if you want to compare Lamar to Vick. (Personally- Jackson is way closer to RG III, and I'm not loving his Wunderlich score either)

MHO? Near certainty we're drafting one of the Big 4- Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Allen. The stench of passing on Carson Wentz still lingers heavy over Berea. Saquon isn't in the picture either. Browns haven't brought him in for a private interview to my knowledge- and that's telling.

3 hours ago, hoorta said:

If we're just drafting on potential the pick would be Josh Allen

...could end up being a John Elway.......and could end up a Derick Anderson.

Hue Jackson could have prepared with horse ride to the lake swim  (must have refused the part)  

15 days till dilly dilly alert :lol:    

I think Rosen gets talked about the least because A. the Browns wined and dined Darnold and Allen at their private workouts with Halsem etc., while just "visited" Rosen's workout. And B. Mayfield gets tied in a little bit more because he has a little more "star" quality from his college days and a fanboy base.

If it was an election, Rosen might win because the people would get tired of the other three candidates and he would slip in. But it's not an election ... it's Dorsey's choice.

Dorsey has the franchise on his shoulders ... and I think he loves it.

Zombo

Rosen would be great, the Browns need a QB who can coach himself because he won't be getting any help here.  That is why Josh Allen scares me as the #1 pick, he needs to be coached up (like Kizer) and the Browns are not the team to do that.  If he can stay healthy he'll go far in the NFL, he is the best QB mechanics-wise and can actually pick apart defenses.  I feel like it's going to be Darnold though, not a bad choice but don't know how he'll do in the NFL with his long wind up. Watch the Browns surprise everyone and trade out of both #1 and #4 to draft whichever QB is left at #22;)  I would like to see what Mayfield would do on a team like the Browns, but I don't think it's going to happen as people are too hung up on the "Manziel" comparison and I feel like the FO would be to scared to go that route.

12 hours ago, Orion said:

So I'm again thinking of Rosen's old coach saying that he's a very cerebral QB and that he asks why and that he needs to be mentally challenged.....and that Darnold is a better fit for Cleveland as he's a gritty, blue collar type QB.....and that Rosen would be a better fit for one of the NY teams.

I've heard the same, "He asks why a lot."  and that it rubs some coaches the wrong way.....from some talking heads.  I mean, is it that Hue is supposed to be a dumb $#!+.... (don't answer that)  :)

I don't know.....but I think that I might LIKE having a smart QB.  Peyton Manning was a smart QB.  Kosar was a smart QB.  Would it be a bad thing to have a smart guy as the face of your franchise?  

All along I've said that I wanted the guy with the best mechanics.  If that package also includes smarts then that's a good thing.

Rosen is, I think, the guy that we've been tied the least to.  Mostly it's been Darnold, with Allen and the little guy sprinkled in.  But Dorsey seems to be quite tight lipped about what he's going to do.  And that's probably for the best.  -  I think he could just as easily turn in a card with Rosen's name on it as any other QB.  

Agree with all points, but you can't convince me that Rosen is too smart for Hue.  Sorry, he's seen it all.  And the insinuation that he needs to be in a large market is just insane.  He and Mora can jump in Lake Erie if they believe that.  The only concern I have about Rosen is his health and his desire to play in Cleveland.  Way too many injuries in college.  

57 minutes ago, Browns1216 said:

Rosen would be great, the Browns need a QB who can coach himself because he won't be getting any help here.  That is why Josh Allen scares me as the #1 pick, he needs to be coached up (like Kizer) and the Browns are not the team to do that.

This!! The QB Whisperer just isn't.

A couple notes on Hue:

1. You don't make your pick based on who suits Hue. He could be gone if we get off to another rough start and Dorsey is still here with promises of restoring a franchise to fill. You listen to everybody, then you make the best pick for the long-term prosperity of the franchise.

2. Some of the bashing is earned, but the guy is not a bad coach for QBs. Maybe he's not the best play caller(though he wasn't bad in Cincy), maybe he's not the best talent evaluator, but if you give him a NFL QB (Flacco, Dalton, Palmer etc) he will deliver you a better NFL QB.

Zombo

12 hours ago, Opal312 said:

Saquon Barkley, Best player in this draft, Bradley Chub, a close 2nd & Lamar Jackson whose potential could far exceed Michael Vick/Deshaun Watson

Lamar Jackson is NOT an NFL quality QB.. He's an "athlete".. If they pick anything other than either Rosen,Mayfield or Darnold.. Im done..  Lamar Jackson is another black tarkenton id much rather avoid...

Yeah Rosen is my guy, but there's a new ESPN interview/article that is putting a lot of the nay-saying to rest.

Today on NFL Live Louis Riddick said as he sat down to read it in prep for today's show that he was "ready to put the last nail in his coffin". Instead he found himself "pulling other nails out." The rest of the discussion which also included Todd McShay was about how many times they have heard how impressed teams have been that had Josh in for visits.

Here's the link to the article... http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/story/_/id/23041561/josh-rosen-answers-nfl-critics-ucla-quarterback-tom-brady-ncaa-2018-draft

11 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

lol... just doing prep work "in case"... I'll take Ward?Hurst... or Ward/Vander Esch...

3 hours ago, Zombo said:

Dorsey has the franchise on his shoulders ... and I think he loves it.

Here's to us loving it, too.

2 hours ago, Browns1216 said:

That is why Josh Allen scares me as the #1 pick, he needs to be coached up (like Kizer) and the Browns are not the team to do that.  If he can stay healthy he'll go far in the NFL, he is the best QB mechanics-wise and can actually pick apart defenses.

Isn't precision a prerequisite for picking apart?

Mechanically he's not bad, but he ain't the best.

should edit for clarity: Rosen is the best mechanics-wise  but I am worried about his ability to stay healthy in the NFL.    Time will tell, I'd be happy with Mayfield/Rosen/Darnold at #1, the only QB i would question drafting with the #1 spot is Allen based mainly on the Browns' inability to improve any QB.

2 hours ago, nickers said:

Lamar Jackson is NOT an NFL quality QB.. He's an "athlete".. If they pick anything other than either Rosen,Mayfield or Darnold.. Im done..  Lamar Jackson is another black tarkenton id much rather avoid...

RG III is a good comparison for Lamar. Some teams (if you remember) are so underwhelmed by Jackson's quarterbacking ability- they wanted him to go through the WR drills at the Combine. If he flops at QB, there's always the Pryor route to fall back on. :)

11 hours ago, Zombo said:

But it's not an election ... it's Dorsey's choice.

Although I believe that to be the case in all of the other draft picks and player moves, I think the face of the franchise has to be blessed by mom & dad (Dee & Jimmuh).

If it's true as in Tour's thread, that Dorsey want Mayfield, then he's got some persuading to do to get what they must view as Manziel 2.0 to be the franchise's face.

10 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I'm a big Neil deGrasse Tyson fan. I've read all his books -- now I'm on Astrophysics for People in a Hurry. I watched the whole Cosmos series. And I'm a huge fan of Elon Musk. I think he's getting ready to nuke the poles, spark some global warming over there --

Dilly Dilly!!!     I'm also reading Astrophysics for People In a Hurry.  :)   Well, actually, I'm NOT reading it.   I'm half done and it sits on my night table....but by the time I go to bed Mrs. Wife and our dog are already in (and on) bed.  So, it sits quietly on my night stand.   And I'm also a fan of Musk.   

Archived